Start by marking “Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel” as Want to Read:
Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  13,291 Ratings  ·  792 Reviews
Vagabonding is about taking time off from your normal life—from six weeks to four months to two years—to discover and experience the world on your own terms. Veteran shoestring traveler Rolf Potts shows how anyone armed with an independent spirit can achieve the dream of extended overseas travel. Potts gives the necessary information on:

• financing your travel time
â
Published December 24th 2002 by Villard Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Vagabonding, please sign up.

Casey I think I found it:

I think I found it:

...It made me realize that, whatever name you give it, the act of vagabonding is not an isolated trend so much as it is (to crib a Greil Marcus phrase) a "spectral connection between people long separated by place and time, but somehow speaking the same language."(less)

Matthew Trinetti
Nov 10, 2012 Matthew Trinetti rated it it was amazing
I finished reading Vagabonding for the second time. The first time I read it was about four years ago, when I first started to experience serious wanderlust. It was inspiring and echoed the way I felt about traveling, but it wasn’t applicable yet. One Day, I mused, I will go on a long-term trip. One day, I will go “vagabonding.” It put the bug in my ear that long-term travel is possible.

But finishing it now, in the midst of an extended journey, is incredibly satisfying and comforting. It’s satis
Chris
Nov 26, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
I hit the road for 8 months--7 countries, 4 continents--because of this book.

College behind me, an ex-fiance, and a wad of cash in the bank (invested since I was a child)--that was when I discovered this book. I boarded the plane 5 months later.

I carried it with me the whole trip (it's very light). When I was feeling homesick or just sick, down, or in a rut I'd read a bit of this book and it would fire me up and give me ideas of what to do next.

Being on the road for an extended period of time
Derek
Aug 07, 2009 Derek rated it it was ok
Rolf Potts’ Vagabonding was recommended to me by a friend who apparently thinks I:

a) Need to get out of the house (and the city/state/country)
b) Enjoy books that heavily rely on quoting Walt Whitman’s “Song of the Open Road”

It’s not a bad book, certainly not the type I would pick up on my own, but there’s nothing really life-changing here either. Potts is conversational (almost to a fault), and he makes some fine points about living with less and accepting circumstances on the road for what they
Chrissy
Jun 26, 2007 Chrissy rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel, repeatreads
Rolf Potts gives a ton of good resources for how to travel long-term. This is not for the person who wants to take a week vacation in Cabo, but for someone who wants to hang out in a country or two or however many for a long time -- several weeks to several years. It's inspiring and helpful to know that I'm not the only one who wants to travel this way!
Heather
Nov 23, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a short read that I intend to read over and over. Basically, it explains that you don't have to be in college or retired to experience long-distance travel. Hiking the Appalachian Trail or spending a year in Thailand is completely do-able for even 30 or 40-somethings. It's a reminder for me not to get caught up in the rat race and the sequence of school, job, marriage, kids, more job, 1 week vacations at a time, retirement, and then death. Although I take away a bit of inspiration and li ...more
Priya
Sep 28, 2015 Priya rated it it was ok
I found this book Strictly OK and I fail to understand the hype this book has generated so much so that it comes under "Top 10 books travel books".
Given that the author is well-travelled, there could have been a lot of meaningful things to be shared with the readers from his personal experiences. Unfortunately, all that the book contains is a whole bunch of website links and references to read. And an equal number of quotes from all kinds of travellers.

At best, this book can serve as a dictiona
Clackamas
Jan 16, 2008 Clackamas rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who always wished they'd lived with the gypsies
Recommended to Clackamas by: ? Someone on Goodreads
***I keep trying to find a better book for the type of travel I plan, and haven't yet, so I re-read this one... I can't quite upgrade it though, even though part of me wants to. Originally read 1/2008***

This is a pretty simple book, designed for those who have never traveled but always wanted to. By "travel" I'm referring to long-term, low-budget travel. This is definitely not intended for the independently wealthy or those who don't know how to function without all of the conveniences of home.
Ru Viljoen
Dec 27, 2011 Ru Viljoen rated it it was ok
"...deliberately not carrying a camera and sedulously avoiding the standard sights, the anti-tourist doesn't have much integrity or agenda beyond his self conscious decision to stand apart from other tourists."

That comes half way into a book that at first states that vagabonding is all about your personal lifestyle choices and not about contrasting with or criticizing other people's choices. I have read of at least 5 labels for travelers which RP stereo typically dismisses.

The book is filled to
Kate
Dec 12, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
As someone who lives a nomadic life, I found enriching what he has to say about long-term travel and living an alternative lifestyle.

He give some excellent, concrete ideas to those who want to travel but claim they can't afford to. He also helps us see how living a traveling life can be greatly rewarding. And also how "vagabonding" is really about being open to life.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"Vagabonding is about not merely reallotting a portion of your life for travel but rediscovering the en
Scott Dinsmore
Jul 09, 2009 Scott Dinsmore rated it it was amazing
Why I Read this Book: Travel and exploration is an essential part of the development of a successful and fulfilled life. Rolf provides an awesome and inspirational guide.

Review:

All I can think of is travel right now. Not just travel, but moreso exploring, adventure and discovery. Where will my next adventure be? I have that excited feeling right now that only the best possibilities bring us. You know, that one we used to all feel the night before Christmas? Something like that, but for adults. M
Dorai Thodla
Not a fast moving one but an amazing book. I think I will go back and read parts of it again. There are lots of things to like about the book.

First of all it provides a different view of life. I wish I had something like this in my twenties. I have a friend who spends about 6 months in a year traveling. I did not understand him. After reading this book, I can imagine why he does that.

A few snippets from the book:

Vagabonding involves taking an extended time-out from your normal life— six weeks
Feliks
Jan 28, 2013 Feliks rated it it was ok
Shelves: good-nonfiction
Simplistic reading. Contains a lot of material I've seen reiterated before in other guidebooks; holds a lot of stuff which is well-covered elsewhere; yields a lot of info which should already be common-sense to the experienced (or even mildly-experienced) traveler...so, I confess I'm merely going to skim this thing.

Listen--in my experience--if you have an opportunity to travel; just do it and don't worry all that much about pre-planning or logistics.

Seriously. Don't ever worry yourself too much
Paul
Feb 12, 2013 Paul rated it did not like it
Pure sophistry. Included in this work are maybe two or three genuinely handy bits of advice, mainly found in links to external readings and resources. The rest of these 203 pages are filled with bland bits of armchair philosophy and anecdotes from dozens of other people who are not collecting checks for writing this book.

Perhaps it would not have been so very disappointing to me if I hadn't shelled out the ridiculously overpriced $10 expecting to receive some concrete advice on exactly how to tr
Jewel
Nov 04, 2012 Jewel rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc
So I didn't exactly expect this one to actually be a GUIDE. I thought it was going to be a novel of some sort.

Having already done my fair share of journeys across the US of A and a few other places, I didn't really take much from this book. Most of my time reading this book was like this: "Yes, I already know that *turns page* Yes, I already know that, duh *turns page* Oh, nice inspirational quote *turns page* Already know that" and so on. I'm not bashing this book by any means, I'm just saying
Melissa Luna
Dec 18, 2007 Melissa Luna rated it liked it
If you have already gone on open-ended adventures into the world, the first two-thirds (or more) of this book are a bore. Not until I got to the end did I start to enjoy and appreciate it. If you haven't had the opportunity to travel freely then this is a well-grounded book full of lots of great advice. Highlights (for anyone) include; good quotes, interesting excerpts from other travel writers, and tons and tons of resources, links, and other channels for research and planning.
Sarah K
Feb 18, 2017 Sarah K rated it it was amazing
This book was phennomal, it is one of the best books Ive read in a while! It inspired me to travel the world more and not be so worried about life and money. It made me realize that if one of your passions is traveling, than just start taveling. All you need is a backpack to travel! It gave some really great tips on travleing! One of my hobbies is traveling so I really enjoyed this book! This book was really well written and included some great inforamtion! I recommand this book to who ever like ...more
Dovofthegalilee
Jun 16, 2012 Dovofthegalilee rated it did not like it
Even a bad book has something in it that we can learn from and this isn’t a bad book but it’s misguided. First off one third to half of it is internet sites that you could find yourself if you have a pulse and the other bit is constant quotes from other notable writers that I guess is supposed to set the mindset for the potential vagabond.

I've done a bit of traveling myself, I left my native country for another completely different culture a dozen years ago and I’m a professional guide in Israel
Lesley
Nov 19, 2014 Lesley rated it liked it
Have an itch to quit your job pack a bag and wander the planet for a few years? This handy guide will make that itch that much worse. I miss traveling.
Bill
Mar 05, 2017 Bill rated it it was amazing
One of the best travel books I've come across, emphasizing both the pragmatic and spiritual issues of extended travel.
Ben
Mar 16, 2017 Ben rated it it was amazing
Not just a book about travel. This book has great insight on how to live.
Andy
Jan 06, 2017 Andy rated it it was amazing
part philosophical view on how a journey, exploration or life should be prepared for, live, enjoyed and reflected upon,
part how-to guide for would-be vagabonders

perfect blend of idealism and practicality and none of the rarified mysticism I feared and had associated with the idea of 'dropping out to travel the world and find yourself'

touches on stoicism ,asceticism, mindfulness, cultural awareness, readiness, willingness to to take chances...

each section includes extensive notes on online resou
Anne Ku
Feb 25, 2017 Anne Ku rated it it was amazing
My high school friend Ronnie recommended this book years ago when I first moved to Maui, and I've only now had the time to find it and read it. As my new philosophy of avoiding purchases, I read it online via my borrowing from the Boston Public Library. Book is full of wisdom, advice, and tips. I feel validated in what I do: I quit my first job without a plan and travelled in Thailand to lose myself. I quit my second and returned to London. Now I just quit my last job and I've been traveling in ...more
Joseph
Mar 27, 2012 Joseph rated it it was ok
Although I do admire Rolf Potts, I think that the advice written in this book is less practical information and more spiritual inspiration. Most of what he writes are things to motivate the reader, to show that a vagabonding lifestyle is desirable and possible.

Unfortunately, Rolf Potts gives very little specific, actionable advice. Some of the things that he writes are very true, but they are also incredibly general, such as 'be gracious', 'simplify your life by getting rid of excess material th
Alex Pyatetsky
Nov 10, 2014 Alex Pyatetsky rated it really liked it
I'm surprised by the rather scathing remarks here. They all seem to have in common the expectation this this will either be 1) a checklist or 2) a reinforcement of their personal travel identity (or lack thereof).

So, perhaps, you should pick up this book with the expectation of learning a mindset and exploring the paradigm of someone with extensive experience in a subject, not "Travel for Dummies."

As someone with no longterm residence, I found Rolf's exploration valuable and fulfilling. Perhaps
Ari
Jan 16, 2013 Ari rated it really liked it
This talks about the mindset and philosophy of someone who feels more comfortable on the road than anywhere else. He has explored many places and many options and lists a good number of resources to use as you travel. It helped put me in the right mindset as I set off for my trip, but didn't teach me much I wasn't already aware of. He writes in a straightforward manner, much like you would see in any travel blog.

I was most appreciative of his selective quotes. "Adventurous men enjoy shipwrecks,
Arimo
Nov 15, 2014 Arimo rated it liked it
A good book. It gave me lots of concrete ideas for my traveling – even though many parts of the text can feel familiar for a traveler with some experience who has already read some other travel guides and searched information online.

I'd recommend this book for anyone who's planning long trips abroad, but I only gave it three stars. First of all, the book is very short and if you'd skip all the (somewhat dated) website links and ignore the numerous quotes and biographies and travel experiences fr
Ren
Aug 19, 2011 Ren rated it really liked it
I can sum up my review with the following quote:
"Interestingly one of the initial impediments to open mindedness is not ignorance but ideology. This is especially true in America where a particularly in progressive circles we have politicized open mindedness to the point that it isn't so open minded anymore. Indeed regardless of whether your sympathies lean to the left or the right, you're not going to learn anything new if continue to use politics as a lens thru which to view the world....on t
Christopher Cordry
Jul 22, 2008 Christopher Cordry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: neophytes, not acolytes, of the cult of travel
Shelves: top-shelf
Everything in this book is old news to anyone who has already undertaken "long-term world travel." However, its basic premise is sound, and it would serve as a good wake-up call for those who have previously limited their travel experiences to the safety, comfort, and ease of--for lack of a better word, tourism, or rather the petty-bourgeois approach to travel.

If I sound like a travel snob, it's because I am. Sorry, no apologies.

Potts's core message is this: get off your duff, forget your lugga
Alexander Fitzgerald
Aug 23, 2016 Alexander Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
The reason this book has received a number of bad reviews is because people fail to understand this is a philosophy book on travel.

To be fair, it's not like the cover really makes that clear.

The other reason this book has received several bad reviews is because many people sincerely want to travel, but they have it fixed in their mind that they are unable to do so. They read books such as this one looking for a magical bullet, and they become frustrated when they don't find one.

I know these pe
Isobel
A good book, with plenty of useful and inspiring content. I listened to it as an audio book but will be buying the hard copy, because I feel this will be something I'll refer back to and make notes in as I gain my own travel experiences. The book seems quite short, and includes a lot of quotes from other travellers. A good read though none the less - one I'd recommend.
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient & Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
  • 360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around the World
  • Six Months Off: How To Plan, Negotiate, & Take The Break You Need Without Burning Bridges Or Going Broke
  • A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe
  • The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World
  • The Tao of Travel: Enlightenments from Lives on the Road
  • One Year Off: Leaving It All Behind for a Round-the-World Journey with Our Children
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth
  • Travel as a Political Act
  • A Woman's Passion for Travel: True Stories of World Wanderlust
  • Work Your Way Around the World
  • Nothing to Declare: Memoirs of a Woman Traveling Alone
  • The Lunatic Express: Discovering the World... via Its Most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Trains, and Planes
Rolf Potts has reported from more than sixty countries for the likes of National Geographic Traveler, the New York Times Magazine, Slate.com, Conde Nast Traveler, Outside, The Believer, The Guardian (U.K.), National Public Radio, and the Travel Channel. A veteran travel columnist for the likes of Salon.com and World Hum, his adventures have taken him across six continents, and include piloting a f ...more
More about Rolf Potts...

“The value of your travels does not hinge on how many stamps you have in your passport when you get home -- and the slow nuanced experience of a single country is always better than the hurried, superficial experience of forty countries.” 58 likes
“Work is when you confront the problems you might otherwise be tempted to run away from” 29 likes