Nastybook

Nastybook

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Why would criminals kidnap a cuddly teddy bear? Or monsters attack a kid for picking his nose?

'Cause Nice is overrated
Published May 1st 2007 by HarperTrophy (first published 2005)

Michelle
Jan 28, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: favorites
Once in awhile a book comes along that is just so mindblowingly absurd that you honestly don't know what to think. NASTYbook is one of those books.

While most people will be quick to point out that most of what Mr. Yourgrau has written inside is weird and stupid, you really have to give the guy credits for his creativity. Really, it's genius.

I have never read a book more random than this. Nor have I read a better one. It's a fast, whacky, fun-filled journey from cover to cover. Though all his sto...more
Nick
Another potential for 3rd grade book club that was passed over for being too dark. If you like your fables with unhappy, abrupt and sometimes scary endings, this is a great book for you. I found it highly entertaining but not terribly appropriate for the under-10 crowd.
Jared Vincent Lacaran
This book is shit but I gave it 2 stars 'cause you're supposed to read it upside down :D
Marsha
Oh, yes, this is a nasty book. Naughty, filled with plot twists and covered with inky fingerprints, it’s the sort of book that makes adults and children alike a tad apprehensive…which may be the point. From a child who discovers that his parents aren’t his real parents (for anyone who’s ever looked sideways at the parental units and wondered…) to the dreams of a sadly caged monkey to a writer that gets even with some very unpleasant critics, “Nastybook” has no heroes, few happy endings and quite...more
Eddie McNeil
I personally thought that this novel was very interesting and unique. It demonstrated to me a great new style of rhetoric and it sparked a lot of new ideals that I could use for my writing. some things I didn't like about the novel though were, some stories were very plain and boring. You could honestly tell which stories the author put more effort into. Even with that being said though, I still would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars mainly because of its originality, cleverness, and for the le...more
Gina
Sep 27, 2007 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
I didn't even read this book. However, I gave it four stars because it is upside down. (When you open the front cover and wonder if you are retarded, you see a teeny right-side-up note that asks, "Is this book upside down, or are you?"). Imagine reading this on a plane. The fat hairy guy next to you would think you just go around pretending you know how to read. He would feel superior and you could deplane knowing that you boosted some loser's self esteem.
Peyton
Yourgrau has assembled a collection of uproariously unpleasant stories that would make Lemony Snicket cry uncle. I snorted, hooted, and guffawed my way through these malicious tales in just a couple of days, and am already wanting more. The only drawback to this book is that the stories come so fast and furious that the reader is in danger of overload. My advice: take this one slowly and savor every macabre moment. You won't be sorry.
Kelley
Like any book of short stories there are some good ones and some bad ones. Unfortunately this book seemed to hold more bad than good. This book prides itself on its hilarity, and I didn't find it funny in the least. I also had a hard time keeping up with the extremely short stories: it was more of a collection for the ADD than a collection for the general public.
Katie
this is like VERY random... alot of characters and their story. its very very werid and it comes in many stories.
i personally think its soo random...it can get boring because theres nothing you can really connect to. the short stories are too short... but the good thing is that its very creative. reading a book upside down. makes you weird.
Leah
Delightful! Do you wince in retrospect at the naivete of those books of saccharine fable/parable things where, like, the generous stoat gets the extra cheese from the lazy badger's picnic or whatever?

Read this. Read it now.
Diamond
I stopped reading this book because it was very boring and it was weird. It was not about one person it was about many people and tall tales that happened to them. This book seems to be for boys rather than girls.
Madison
The Nasty Book is not all the same story it is a veriaty of writting.I enjoyed all of the ones I read.It was a little comfusing at first becasue I thought it was all the same story but it is not.
Eriele the Mermaid ❤
But then idk why, but it disgusted me. Seriously.
I GOT THIS FOR ONLY 40PHP AND IT HAS A FREAKING AWESOME SIGNATURE OF YOURGRAU! <3
Jeffrey
A Very Silly book of short stories. Some are terrible and others are very clever. A very quick and enjoyable read.
Mary
Aug 12, 2011 Mary added it
very interesting, funny, and irrational.
Jenny
Jul 02, 2011 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
43 short stories taht are nasty in many ways
Beth Shields-Szostak
May 28, 2011 Beth Shields-Szostak marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
1st edition, signed by author
Rose
what the...???
Clover
Clover marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Sasha
Sasha added it
Apr 05, 2014
Renee Rearden
Renee Rearden marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Jordan Stein
Jordan Stein is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2013
Smartrp
Smartrp marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“I can never remember my dreams, so Barry Yourgrau’s stories are a pretty good substitute"
— David Byrne

Barry Yourgrau is a writer and multimedia performer. His books WEARING DAD'S HEAD and A MAN JUMPS OUT OF AN AIRPLANE are considered classics of short-short fiction. As performer he starred in the indie-film version of his book THE SADNESS OF SEX, has appeared variously on MTV, and workshopped...more
More about Barry Yourgrau...
The Sadness of Sex A Man Jumps Out of an Airplane Wearing Dad's Head Haunted Traveler: An Imaginary Memoir A Man Jumps Out of an Aeroplane & Wearing Dad's Head