Start by marking “Angel Unaware: A Touching Story of Love and Loss” as Want to Read:
Angel Unaware: A Touching Story of Love and Loss

Angel Unaware: A Touching Story of Love and Loss

Entertainers Roy and Dale Evans Rogers were thrilled when their little daughter Robin was born. But their excitement turned to concern when they were informed that Robin was born with Down's Syndrome and advised to -put her away.- The Rogers ignored such talk and instead kept Robin, and she graced their home for two and a half years. Though Robin's time on earth was short, ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published January 1st 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Unaware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Unaware

Dayle Lynne
Jan 18, 2014 Dayle Lynne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It's been several years since I've read this book, but it had a strong impact on me for personal reasons.

My grandmother read this book when she was pregnant with my aunt and decided to name her child Dale after Dale Evans. My aunt was born with Down syndrome. I never knew her because she passed away at 10 years old (when my mom was only 4), but I was named after her and the memory of my aunt that was shared by family members is what guided me to go into special education.

As a former teacher and
Kris
Sep 02, 2009 Kris rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books as I was growing up. My copy is the 19th printing that sold for $1.00; the dust jacket is barely attached and includes a photo of a smiling little girl in the top right corner with big eyes and blonde curls. This book has been passed down for at least three generations, and our names have all been written inside the cover. Can you imagine a book published today that would be worthy of that care?

This is a sweet, sad, and joy-filled story about the daughter of Roy Rog
Fran
Nov 16, 2009 Fran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book when I was in my teens, then when I was in my thirties, I was honored to meet Dale Evans Rogers in person. It was such a privilege to talk with her and to tell her how her book had touched my heart.
Kathi
Sep 15, 2011 Kathi rated it it was amazing
I don't remember the first time I read this book however it was many years ago. I have read it many time since. It is a precious story that should be told and handed down. I only hope I can have the faith Dale Evans has if I ever face the tragedies she has faced.

Dale Evens Rogers is my HERO!
Heidi
Jul 26, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Roy Roger's & Dale Evan's daughter, who was born with Down syndrome. She died at the young age of 2 1/2 years old. This heart warming story is told from their little girl's point of view from Heaven. A sweet little book.
Kathy Jo
Feb 14, 2017 Kathy Jo rated it it was amazing
This book offers a rare glimpse into the private lives of otherwise very public figures, Dale Evans Rogers and Roy Rogers. It tells the unique and largely unknown story of their lives of service through adoption of children in need who would have had little hope or quality of life without Dale and Roy's compassion, love, and tender care. This is also a story about one very special child with exceptional needs and a terminal condition, who came not to be served, rather as an Angel Unaware with fa ...more
Jeri
Jan 10, 2012 Jeri rated it it was amazing

Entertainers Roy and Dale Evans Rogers were thrilled when their little daughter Robin was born. But their excitement turned to concern when they were informed that Robin was born with Down's Syndrome and doctors advised them to "put her away." The Rogers ignored such talk and instead kept Robin, and she graced their home for two and a half years. Though Robin's time on earth was short, she changed her parents' lives and even made life better for other children born with special needs in the year
Kristen
Mar 11, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was a quick read for me-not even a day! I know this book was about Down's syndrome and that the little girl died in her 2 years. What I didn't know was that this was written by a famous woman and her husband, that it was from the daughter, Robin's, viewpoint, and that this book changed lives of others. When Dale Evans Rogers and Roy Rogers meet their baby daughter Robin for the first time in August 1950, they learned that she had Down's Syndrome. Doctors and others told them to put "th ...more
Vivian
May 27, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
This is a first-person narrative from the child's point of view but as told by the mother as she imagines it what it was like as her almost two-year old daughter reported to a Heavenly Father the impact her short time on earth had on the lives of others.

Her life actually did impact many lives -- first of all her parents, the famous Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, who chose to take their downs syndrome baby home and love her rather than institutionalize her right away as they were advised.

Due to their
Sabrina
Sep 30, 2013 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
I balled like a baby while reading this book. This is an angelic book written in the point of view of the child. It is inspiring for parents whom have a child with DS. I was continuously thanking my lucky stars that technology, education and science has improved so much that there are chances for better, healthy, long lived lives of those with DS. I'm so thankful that the norm is no longer to turn the cheek and send these loves to homes. And I am so thankful for the opportunity to read a heartfe ...more
Mony
Jul 12, 2015 Mony rated it it was amazing
Je málo kníh, ktoré by si zaslúžili titul výnimočná. Nájsť ich nie je ľahké, pretože sú niekedy také maličké, že ich prehliadneme. Ale niekedy to malé je v skutočnosti väčšie ako sa na prvý pohľad zdá. Presne ako aj v tomto prípade. Veľkosť tejto knihy spočíva v tých nádherných slovách, do ktorých bola vložená láska, ale i duša milujúcej matky.
Ak si niekedy túto knižočku prečítate, tak pochopíte, že titul výnimočná si zaslúži právom.
Joanie
Nov 24, 2011 Joanie rated it it was amazing
I read this book many years ago while I was in high school and never forgot about it-well 46 years later I own the book and cherish it.This story is about Dale Evans and Roy Rogers little girl, Robin, who was born with Downs Syndrome. She was given to her parents for only a short time but she showed us her visions and how beautiful heaven is. Even though people thought of her as handicapped,she had the foresight of a bright future. What a moving book that when read, lifts your spirits!
Sandra Munro
Jan 19, 2010 Sandra Munro rated it liked it
A very touching story of the time that entertainers Roy Rogers and his wife, Dale Evans, had with their beautiful, handicapped daughter. It's been a very long time since I read this, but the memory that lingers most is of the awesome love that these wonderful people had for their Down's Syndrome baby, Robin, who died when she was only two years old. I remember that the experience for them was full of learning and growing and joy.
babyhippoface
I read this book when I was a young girl. My mother had great respect for Roy Rogers & Dale Evans (I did, too), and she had both this book and Dearest Debbie, about their adopted daughter from Korea. The deaths of both Robin and Debbie made me sad and scared at the same time. I still remember portions of both books that mentioned how the girls' dogs each whined inconsolably the nights the girls died, before word had even reached the family. Odd, the things that stay with you.
Colleen Mertens
Dec 05, 2015 Colleen Mertens rated it really liked it
This was a memoir of having a special needs child in the 1950s. It was very well written and at times heartbreaking. I was horrified by some of the things doctors told the family. I learned something about the family & really enjoyed the story. It also solidified my husband's belief that special needs children truly do not have the "jagoff" gene. It also showed what faith should look like.
Leslie
Dec 11, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Fabulous wee book about Roy Rogers and Dale Evans (both I adored as a child) wee daughter, Robin and her short time on earth, written through her eyes.

I was surprised and awed at Roy Rogers and Dale Evans' faith and did not realise they were committed Christians. Would most definitely recommend book and would read again. Xo
Janine
Mar 10, 2012 Janine rated it liked it
A touching story, told from the perspective of the child of Roy and Dale Evans Rogers. I can't help but relate it to our own lives, and am so grateful for the advances in medical care in the last 50-60 years. For those of us who believe in God, we can only aspire to have the kind of faith that the Rogers family had.
Angela
Apr 05, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it
This is a book from the early 1960s, but it is hard to underscore the societal impact it had: for the first time Americans spoke of Down Syndrome children and adults who were kept at home. Dale evans assigned value to them and told people to take them along on outings and keep them in the family circle as contributing and viable members of society
Shelley Brian
May 11, 2016 Shelley Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-stories
An amazing book! I read it when I was in my teens and read it again recently. The story is about the special child sent to Dale Evans and Roy Rogers. It is told by their daughter as she resides in heaven. It will tug on the heart but makes you smile in the end when you realize that there are truly angels unaware (Hebrews 13:2).
Laurie
Dec 10, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a young girl who was a devout Christian. Though I am no longer young or religious, I still remember how much this book meant to me. I give it five stars for that little girl of long ago. It wouldn't be my choice now, but then, it was very meaningful to me.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
"And a little child shall lead them", and she did! This story is told from the perspective of a baby who died. She tells the story from Heaven. I liked the way this story was written. It certainly grabs you and pulls you in. This one will break you heart!
Connie S. Jones
This is a sw

This is a sweet story of a little girl, Robin, born to Roy and Dale Rogers, and the changes in their lives that bring them closer to God. This is Robins story as she tell it to God.
Kathyanngallagher
Sep 03, 2015 Kathyanngallagher rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as Roy Rogers and Dale Evans met with some very difficult losses, but never shunned their faith. I wonder if they are the first/last decent couple to ever exist in Hollywood? A short intimate book by Dale Evans Roger.
Linda
Feb 01, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story written by Dale Evans for her Down Syndrome baby as though the baby were telling the story. It is a short read and a book you will want to keep in your library. FYI You will need a box of tissue for this one.
Jennifer Burnes
The first "grown up" book I recall reading. I think I was in 4th or 5th grade. I read it again a few years later and plan on reading it again this Ed, some 30 years later.
Little did I know then the (2nd) career path life would send me down ... Maybe this book was that first "seed"?
Eileen Kinloch
Aug 04, 2011 Eileen Kinloch rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written true story of how a little girl with special needs (downs syndrome)brought so much love.
Kim
Jul 11, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
tender and inspiring and heartbreaking. I read this when I was about 11, a copy my mother had kept from her childhood.
LaVenna
Mar 10, 2008 LaVenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
This is a short read book, that was very powerful.
Lee Anne
Sweet, but simplistic. Jr hi rdg level. Angel Behind the Rocking Chair is much better written.
Mama Long
Jul 16, 2008 Mama Long rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a child, it was so moving I've never forgotten it. It ranks at the top as one of my favorites.
  • The Cowboy and the Senorita: A Biography of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans
  • Road Map to Holland: How I Found My Way Through My Son's First Two Years with Down Syndrome
  • Choosing Naia: A Family's Journey
  • Good Morning, Miss Dove
  • Hope. . .the Best of Things
  • Pope Awesome and Other Stories
  • The Facts of Life: And Other Lessons My Father Taught Me
  • High Calling: The Courageous Life and Faith of Space Shuttle Columbia Commander Rick Husband
  • A Life with Karol: My Forty-Year Friendship with the Man Who Became Pope
  • Raising Henry: A Memoir of Motherhood, Disability, and Discovery
  • The Tulip and the Pope
  • Milestones: Memoirs 1927-1977
  • The Myth of Hitler's Pope: Pope Pius XII And His Secret War Against Nazi Germany
  • The Scarlet and the Black: The True Story of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, Hero of the Vatican Underground
American writer, film actress, singer, and songwriter. She was the second wife of Roy Rogers.
More about Dale Evans Rogers...