Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Evangelical Christianity” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Evangelical Christianity

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Evangelical Christianity (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The Evangelical Christian movement is the fastest growing segment of American religion with 42% of all Christians in America identifying themselves as Evangelicals. Now, Evangelical Pastor David Cobia shares the genesis, history, and culture of this religion in America with a balanced, accessible tone. He also touches upon the controversies it's spawned regarding such topi ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Evangelical Christianity

Mark
It feels a little weird to be reading one of "these" books about my religious affiliation/job/life... but I'm always looking for books I can point people to help them I understand what I believe.

And David Cobia's book does a pretty good job of doing just that. His surveys of the history of the movement and of evangelical theology are concise but also clear & accessible. When he delves into hot button issues (sex, family values, abortion, creationism, etc.), he represents the spectrum of pos
Kathryn
read only about half of it, focusing on the history part. it was entertaining to read and very informative. i learned the difference between evangelicals and fundamentalists. i discovered how much of the contemporary evangelical culture i had been a part of could trace its roots back to the early methodists. and i never knew before how relevant the great awakenings were to current times. i plan to re-check this out from the library to finish it at some point.
Becky
This guide was clear and concise, but seemed a bit oversimplified. Part of the problem is the topic is far too broad for a book this size. Not an indepth look at what evangelism is about, just a general overview.
Patricia
Eh. The guy tried, and I'll give him credit for that. I just can't think of a way for the subject to come across as anything other than creepy [to me].
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Heather Salvatore
Heather Salvatore is currently reading it
May 20, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Derek
Derek added it
Nov 08, 2011
RTS
RTS added it
Jul 30, 2011
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2011
Christopher
Christopher is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2007

The Complete Idiot's Guides (1 - 10 of 207 books)
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Literature
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Assertiveness
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astronomy (Complete Idiot's Guide to)