Start by marking “The Saggy Baggy Elephant” as Want to Read:
The Saggy Baggy Elephant

The Saggy Baggy Elephant

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  13,628 ratings  ·  122 reviews
This classic Golden story, enjoyed by generations, is now available in a collectible hardcover edition at a very affordable price. No home library should be without this charming tale of the elephant who is trying to find his place in the jungle.
Published October 1st 2010 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Saggy Baggy Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saggy Baggy Elephant

Swankivy
Illustrations were lovely, as usual, and as a kind of odd child I was pretty familiar with the primary subject: getting bullied and not fitting in. The elephant in the story gets harassed by a parrot who says he looks like his skin doesn't fit, unlike all the other animals he was partying with. So, predictably, he's hurt and tries to find (possibly painful and dangerous) ways to be like everyone else, until he joins up with other elephants whose skin is as baggy as his and he realizes he's fine ...more
John Yelverton
Not my favorite of the Little Golden Books collection.
Julie Decker
In this story about self-acceptance, the young elephant gets bullied for looking different from the other animals; he alone has skin that doesn't seem to fit. He tries several dangerous processes to make his skin look tighter, but then he's comforted when he returns to the other elephants and realizes that if their skin is all loose too, he must be made that way, and it's all okay.

What bothers me about that moral is that the protagonist's self-acceptance was contingent entirely upon finding othe
Bob
Maybe I should count this as an audio book. It's the first book my parents ever read to me. It probably drove them nuts, reading the same story night after night until I fell asleep. But it is probably where I learned compassion for others less fortunate or different from my own small circle of family and friends. This and the other books in the "The Little Golden Books" series like "The Little Red Hen" and "The Poky Little Puppy" instilled in me my love of reading. Just like reading now, these ...more
Kathryn
Mar 22, 2012 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Susan Branch
Simply adorable. As the little elephant did not know he was an elephant I loved it when he said "I'd better hide in a dark place where my bags and sags and creases and wrinkles won't show".
Somerandom
Awh! I used to read this religiously when I was little!
The story is essentially the Ugly Duckling with an Elephant. Only the Elephant doesn't have to grow up to find his place.

Whilst Sooki is dancing an evil parrot mocks his appearance causing Sooki to be sad (damn you Evil Parrot!)
Sooki then asks all the animals he can find just what he is and how his skin can be tightened to fit him properly.
When a hungry lion responds that he could eat him Sooki yells for help and a herd of Elephants comes to
Don Gubler
Another of the handful of Little Golden Books that are priceless. About being comfortable in your own skin.
Anna Johnson
Sooki the baby elephant loved to dance until one day he met a parrot. The parrot told him that none of his features fit his body and that his skin was saggy and baggy. The parrot laughed at the elephant's appearance.The baby elephant tried everything to make his skin fit. Everytime he tried something new, he ran into danger and was forced to run away. Finally,he gave up and ran innto a cave to hide. he heard a lion coming up the path saying, "I am so hungry, I could eat a elephant. Sooki let out ...more
Alisha
The Saggy Baggy Elephant, written by K. and B. Jackson, follows Sooki, the elephant on his journey to find himself. After a parrot tells him he doesn’t look right with all his saggy skin, big ears and big nose. Sooki goes off to discover what he is. He asks all the animals he comes across if they know what he is, or how he could get his skin to be tighter, but none of their ideas work. When he finally asks a hungry lion, the lion responds, he isn’t sure, but he is hungry enough to eat him. Sooki ...more
Joy
I remember this book as a small child so I had to pick up a copy.

Sooki is an elephant alone in the jungle and is ashamed to have saggy babby skin. Sooki meets any animals who try to attack the poor elephant until the elephant meets a herd of elephants and fits in.
Marya
I guess this book is full of whimsy. Just don't ask too many questions (like, why does the elephant think he's ugly at first because he's saggy and baggy, but then think the other elephants he meets are beautiful?).
Karen
This is another Little Golden Book illustrated by Gustaf Tenggren -- he had quite a prolific career as a LGB illustrator -- so the artwork is extraordinary and extraordinarily good. I liked the tiger and elephant illustration that was used for the front cover, but the best illustration in the book has to be the line of dancing elephants. It is so incredibly sweet and quite funny.

The overall story is fine, even good, although I probably would have sat on the mouthy parrot a long time ago. I don't
Melanie
A sweet sorry of Sooki and how he comes to realize that while he doesn't look like the others in the jungle, that doesn't matter. He is special just the way he is. We love the Little Golden books.
Connie
So, we've got this guy dancing through the forest. One two three KICK. One two three KICK. He's saggy. He's baggy. Aaaaaand... he's an elephant! Not that he knows it. All he knows is that he's getting laughed at for being so saggy and baggy, so he's gonna try to shrink himself.

No, not by talking to the tiger - you'll just get eaten up. No, not by soaking in the river - you'll get eaten up by crocodiles. Maybe hiding is the answer? Nope, you'll get eaten up by lions. (Luckily, at this point there
Diana Pettis
I am always in the search for books on elephants because Xander likes them so much. This one was cute with a simple message of the importance of friendship.
Julie
Mar 17, 2015 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Children
Recommended to Julie by: Book store
Shelves: childrens
Adorable children's story that I used to read to my son over and over. All children will love this story of The Saggy Baggy Elephant.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
Recommended to Dee by: It was read to our Kindergarten class.
A great book about feeling good in your skin, and accepting your body the way it is, even if you feel different from those around you.
Kati
I believe this book, "Babar, and Disney's Dumbo were responsible for making me elephant-crazy when I was little. I love it still.
Kaethe
I don't recall what I thought of this when I was a child, but as an adult I'm not that fond of either the story or the art.
Isaac
The tale of the saggy baggy elephant was one of my favorites as a child. The poor little elephant Sooki is at first an innocent carefree creature of the forest, that is until confronted by a saucy parrot who makes him feel uncomfortable in his own skin, literally. Determined to become normal, Sooki sets out encountering sly and dangerous animals around every corner. Eventually however after meeting a whole heard of saggy baggy elephants, he comes to learn that being yourself is more than enough. ...more
Theresa Abney
This was my favorite book when I was very little. It is just as endearing as I remember it being.
Barbara Brien
This is a cute book about accepting yourself that I am sure I read when I was a child.
Holly
One of my favorite childhood books ... I loved the pictures!
Dwaine Nethery
Read it as a child. A favourite one of mine back then
H.L. Stephens
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
Rachel
1-2-3 kick and a saucy parrot ... enough said.
Christina
This was one of my favorite books as a kid!
Ellen
Precious...my son's latest favorite
Ann Marie
one of my absolute favorite books as a child
Heather
Honestly I rated this a 3 because I liked it more than my children did. By the time by 2 boys were able to understand the moral/ meaning they were more in to superheroes and dinosaurs etc. My daughter liked and understood it but it wasn't one of her favorites(but as the last of three children and 17 grandchildren she had a ton of books to choose from). As a parent I give it 5 stars... But from my children's view....1.
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)
  • Scuffy the Tugboat (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Farm Animals
  • My Big Little Golden Book About God
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Little Red Caboose
  • We Help Mommy (Little Little Golden Book)
  • My First Counting Book
  • Four Little Kittens (Little Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • The Poky Little Puppy
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
  • The Little Red Hen
Tawny Scrawny Lion Nurse Nancy The Animals' Merry Christmas (Giant Golden Books) A Day at the Seashore Katie the Kitten (A First Little Golden Book)