Start by marking “New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)” as Want to Read:
New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)

New Spring (The Wheel of Time 0)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  44,289 Ratings  ·  965 Reviews
From America's premier fantasy writer---#1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Crossroads of Twilight---comes an expanded version of his novella "New Spring," first published in the Legends collection.

For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmo
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published January 6th 2004 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about New Spring, please sign up.

Emma As it's a prequel to the main story, you won't fully understand as many of the references and you'll get less out of it if you read it first. In my…moreAs it's a prequel to the main story, you won't fully understand as many of the references and you'll get less out of it if you read it first. In my opinion, read at least the first few books before you read this one to fully appreciate the back story and more minor characters involved.(less)
Aaron Toponce Not really. A Song of Ice and Fire is really a political fantasy with very little thought towards the magic system. The Wheel of Time on the other…moreNot really. A Song of Ice and Fire is really a political fantasy with very little thought towards the magic system. The Wheel of Time on the other hand has a very robust magic system balanced well with politics, conflict, and world development.

Another large difference between the authors, is their attitudes towards sex. George R. R. Martin is a dirty old man, writing in graphic detail about the female anatomy and monthly cycles, pedophilia, necrophilia, whoredoms, rape, and incest. Robert Jordan, however, keeps the sex tasteful. While lesbians ("pillow friends") are in the book, the most graphic it gets is a kiss, knowing one is naked without description, or "folding her arms under her breasts".

While both are high fantasies, they're very different in execution.(less)

Phrynne
Sep 11, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it
I have read and loved the entire Wheel of Time series so it was fun to read the prequel to the whole affair. I really enjoyed finding out how Moiraine and Lan met and how he became her warder. I also liked all the information about the White Tower and the Aes Sedai. There is nothing in this book that you have to know before enjoying the rest of the series but it is a nice little piece of background information. Loved the ending - it almost made me go and pick up Book 1 to read again.
Ryan
Oct 29, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I feel like reading fantasy is just a waste of time. If nothing else, the themes are often distressingly adolescent and no matter how many times I read about slaying dragons, it's pretty unlikely that I'll ever slay a dragon in real life.

Perhaps, for me, the real attraction that sword & sorcery offers is an escape into a world of imagination. It sounds like a corny movie trailer (I'm sure everyone can hear the movie trailer voice when reading "esCApe... into a worlld ... of imagiNA
Evgeny
Mar 06, 2014 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The plot of this book can be summarized in the following two sentences. Moiraine and Siuan Sanche learn a great secret while still being Accepted in the White Tower. Moiraine meets Lan. There are much more than these events in the prequel and some more familiar faces appear than the ones I already mentioned.

I gave this book 5 stars initially, but I was sure I would lower the rating to 4 stars after I read this tale for the second time. To my complete surprise I realized that is still worth 5 sta
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhe
Angie
Feb 02, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who have read at least the first few books of the WoT series
Dawn
Nov 01, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
I'm writing my review after having read this book for the third time. This was the first time I read it before reading any of the other books in the series (I couldn't wait until January, I had to start getting my WoT on now, so I'm doing a complete re-read).

I just have to say... I feels so good to hop back into this world. This isn't my favorite of the series by far, but I feel like it's a great addition nonetheless. For new readers you should definitely save this until later in the series eve
Alex Ristea
May 17, 2013 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This prequel wasn't about what I thought it was going to be, but it managed to be a fun read.

My favourite part was seeing Moiraine and Siuan in their younger years, acting as only children can. A perfect contrast to the stern Aes Sedai we've come to love.

I'm not sure how important the events in this book were to the overall series, but for character development I give it an A+.

Eduarda
Aug 13, 2015 Eduarda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livro com POV da Moiraine? Não tem como ser ruim!
Depois desse livro passei a gostar ainda mais da Ajah Azul. Agora não tenho mais dúvida sobre qual Ajah eu seria.
E que venha o The Fires of Heaven! Torcendo pra que a Moiraine apareça mais. Senti falta dela no TSR.
Paul
Dec 20, 2012 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am rereading the Wheel of Time series one last time in preparation for the last book (I'm way behind). I decided to start with New Spring, the prequel, and read in straight chronological order.

I did not like the book as much as I remembered, mainly because Lan is an IDIOT. Jordan's worst features as a writer, to me, were his persistent "battle of the sexes" bullshit, where nearly all women are shrews convinced that all men are idiots; and his horrific caricature artificial cultures. Fortunatel
Matt Brady
When Memory of Light, the long awaited final volume of The Wheel of Time series, twenty years or more in the making, was finally released earlier this year it obviously grabbed my attention. It’s been a good long time since I’d been truly invested in this series, and my enthusiasm for it had long since waned. I hadn’t read any Wheel of Time since Jordan’s last novel before his untimely death and Brandon Sanderson was brought in to finish the series. I didn’t quit or anything like that, I just dr ...more
Pedro António
Decided to wait until I was done with Towers of Midnight before picking this one up and... on one hand I'm glad I waited this long to finally read the prequel, but on the other I guess I expected more than I ended up being given.

It was really nice to see so many characters I've come to known and love/hate in their earlier years, but that ended up backfiring as I feel like a lot more could've been done with the vast majority of them given how long the novel actually is. Once the novelty factor is
Mike Coville
Feb 06, 2016 Mike Coville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice telling of the back story of Lan and Moiraine. After having read all 14 WoT books, and experiencing the sadness of knowing it was all over, it was fun to see these characters enjoying life again. I would recommend this for anyone that has read the WoT series.
Claudia
Aug 24, 2015 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, w-o-t
If this, lets say, prelude made me give it 5 stars, I'm really anxious to see what's hidden in the next 14 volumes...
Mark
Apr 15, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review stands for the entire Wheel of Time series. Note that this prequel deserves to be read approximately in order of release, as one is reading the orginal series, so as not to provide any spoilers.

The Wheel of Time appears to be in good hands with Brandon Sanderson penning the last Book (in three parts) of Robert Jordan's epic.

Although I have been reading these books for as long as I have been reading Katherine Kerr's Deverry novels, and will be reading them at least until 2012 when the
Kaila
An important question to answer before beginning the Wheel of Time series is when you want to read this prequel. It takes place before The Eye of the World, book 1, but was written after Crossroads of Twilight, book 10. It contains spoilers for up through book 6 or so. If it is the first book of the series you read, a lot of things will be ruined, and it would be confusing, as it assumes the reader is familiar with the world.

DO NOT READ THIS BOOK FIRST. This review contains minor spoilers up thr
Stacey
May 13, 2013 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm a big fan of Robert Jordan. I've read New Spring before and I'll likely read it again. It's the prequel to the Wheel of Time series. Honestly, it doesn't add anything to the plot of the series. It's more a character piece of Moiraine and her Warder, Lan.

One of the things I really enjoy about Jordan is the rich background in which he's chosen to set his world. Reading the series there's always the sense that what has happened in the character's pasts has an effect on what they are doing in th
Dux
Aug 14, 2015 Dux rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
“Change what you can if it needs
changing, but learn to live with what you can’t change.”

I wonder if the reason why I enjoyed this book as much as I did was because I read it right after the dreadful 9th and 10th books in the series that it must have made me feel refreshed. The amount of emotions and proportions of entertainment in these sole 350 pages exceed anything in books 9 and 10 combined. I LAUGHED! I felt EXCITEMENT! AMUSEMENT! CURIOUSITY! SUSPICION AND SUSPENSE! SINCE WHEN WERE THESE E
Melanie
Nov 21, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And so I finish the first step in my re/read of The Wheel of Time. And what a first step it was!

Having previously read #1-7, it was nice to take a step back and see the beginnings of things which are contained in these books, be they concrete or allusions only. There were lots of little references to things and people which I appreciated, and probably as many more which I missed having not read the entire series yet.

Moiraine as an Accepted was fun to see, and how close she and Siuan are is lovel
Jim Lane
I stopped reading the Wheel of Time series after slogging through Crossroads of Twilight several years ago. The books kept getting longer and the pace slower until I just lost interest and began reading other fantasy series (Sword of Truth, Song of Fire and Ice). I didn't even find out about Robert Jordan's passing until I by chance saw The Gathering Storm (co-authored by Brandon Sanderson) in bookstores.

Wanting to get back into the series and finally finish it, I decided that the prequel New Sp
Aildiin
May 16, 2014 Aildiin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novels
I am planning to start rereading soon the Wheel of time and to finally finish it now that all the books have been released ( I stopped at book 9 a little over 10 years ago) and I figured this book would be a good way to get back into the story and see how it all started. It both succeeded and failed in that regard.
The reason it partially failed is that the author assumes you have read others WoT books before reading this one and it is supposed to add background to the serie, sadly it's been so l
Kris
Jun 25, 2011 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I have a confession to make - I didn't read this in the correct order. New Spring is part of Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series; it's a prequel that takes place about 20 years before the events of the first book in the series. New Spring was written originally as a novella, published in an anthology of new works written by several masters of the fantasy genre. The anthology came out between books 8 and 9 of the "Wheel of Time" series; Jordan later expanded the novella into a full novel, which came ...more
Skip
May 23, 2008 Skip rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Stuart Aken
• New Spring (A wheel of Time Novel) by Robert Jordan.
323 pps. 26 chaps. 130,000 words
Fantasy with the unusual feature that the major characters are women, members of a sect with abilities drawn from a central bank of power. There is the hint of romance, but only a hint. Some battle scenes, but these are minimal. The major thread of story revolves around the development of powers by the two main female characters who are, surprisingly, both beautiful. Many of the secondary characters have featur
Chariti King Canny
This series is brilliant. There is just the right balance of fantastical detail and speed of reading. The way the author writes, as I get more and more involved in the story, the more plausible everything seems... the perfect fantasy novel. There are rare moments where he gets a little too tied up in detailing the scene environment, but overall, this is an excellent story.
He does follow the story formula, which probably is what adds to the simplicity and readability of the storyline. However, t
Shane Harcombe
Jul 07, 2015 Shane Harcombe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am returning to the world of 'The Wheel of Time' after a self-enforced absence of more than 10 years. I started the series as an 18 yo and read through the first 6 or 7 novels before becoming impatient with waiting for each new book to be published and vowed not to read any more until the entire series was published (little did I know how George RR Martin would test me later!).

Book 14 was published a couple of years ago now, and I finally decided to start re-reading the series. I thought this
Patrick Rockefeller
What do I think? I think I must be a bit of a masochist to be starting this series again....During the first attempt, Jordan was still alive and there were too many threads to the story to keep in mind years between releases. This book had not even been released when I stopped reading....So, here goes a last attempt to read the Wheel of Time.
Tracey
Sep 09, 2015 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star
My one note on Goodreads on this book was "Not nearly as much spanking in this as in the main series" - and that's a bit sad, considering there was still more spanking than I would consider normal in a non-erotic-type novel. (That's one thing I'll say for Jordan, is the spanking is never erotic. I think that's a plus. I think.)

This is a prequel to the WoT series, expanded from a short story or novella telling how Lan Mandragoran and Moiraine Demandred met and wound up bonded as Aes Sedai and War
Brian
Mar 24, 2014 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty standard for a Wheel of Time book. Too long and the conclusion felt very rushed. Parts of it were interesting. But, for a book that is ostensibly about the origins of Moiraine and Lan, they both come across as pretty annoying. Moiraine especially. Another review mentioned how her character works well in the main books because we don't have many PoV chapters for her and she comes across as mysterious. I agree with that 100% and seeing events more from her perspective makes her seem like ju ...more
Nina
This is my second or third re-read of New Spring. I read it again because I've promised myself I will not begin re-reading the entire series until there is an official release date for the final book, A Memory of Light, because I want to be able to read the entire series again in one fell swoop. However, I've been following along with a re-read blog on Tor.com, which made me hungry for some Jordan. Thus, I re-read New Spring again.

I really enjoy this book. I feel like I could read it over and ov
Ranting Dragon
Jan 18, 2011 Ranting Dragon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephan

With our Wheel of Time re-read commencing this month and the New Spring Graphic Novel being released today, I felt it a good time to re-read New Spring, the prequel to Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.

New Spring was first written in 1998 as a short story in the anthology Legends: Stories By The Masters of Modern Fantasy, and later expanded into a short novel. Published in 2004, New Spring was intended to be the first novel of a prequel trilogy for The
Shut Up & Read: Wheel of Time Series 45 43 Jan 13, 2015 04:18PM
Robert Jordan's:T...: When to read New Spring 10 231 Nov 04, 2013 03:06PM
Fantasy Book Club...: NEW SPRING - Finished **SPOILERS** 17 60 Feb 14, 2013 06:16PM
Fantasy Book Club...: NEW SPRING - Planning to Read? First Impressions **NO SPOILERS** 8 34 Nov 29, 2012 06:33AM
  • Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar Legacy, #3)
  • The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0.5)
  • Morgawr (The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, #3)
  • The Emperor's Soul
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Legends

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

“He was swimming in a sea of other people’s expectations. Men had drowned in seas like that.” 146 likes
“Moiraine: It seems Ryne was wrong as well as a Darkfriend. You were better than he.

Lan: He was better. But he thought I was finished, with only one arm. He never understood. You surrender after you're dead.”
18 likes