Start by marking “Samo jedna prilika” as Want to Read:
Samo jedna prilika

Samo jedna prilika

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,185 Ratings  ·  994 Reviews
Mark Sajdman se budi u šok-sobi, zavijene glave i sa iglom za infuziju. Dvanaest dana ranije živeo je u mirnom prigradskom naselju kao uspešni hirurg, bio je oženjen lepoticom iz visokog društva i imao je bebu koju obožava. Sada je u bolnici i ne zna ko je pucao u njega. Žena mu je ubijena, a šestomesečna kći Tara je nestala. Ali u najcrnjim trenucima, kada se Marku čini d ...more
Published 2005 by Laguna (first published 2003)

Yulia
Jul 16, 2008 Yulia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: criminal-intent
I know some may think Harlan Coben beneath them, but let me explain why I've find myself enjoying his books: First, I'm tired as heck of books where nothing happens put blushes hidden and a cough of disapproval. Second, I always had a fondness for books on killers (not to understand myself, but the opposite, I assure you). Third, I agree with most of Coben's values, like this snippet from No Second Chance:

"Edgar belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into belie
Lucy
Mar 10, 2009 Lucy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about Harlan Coben. The first novel I read of his was part of the Myron Bolitar series and I so seriously disliked Myron and his sarcastic ways that I dismissed Cobens' books completely.

Then, a long airplane ride forced me to reconsider and I found myself enjoying his Tell No One. Smart, complicated and a likable protagonist (a far cry from Myron).

No Second Chance falls between the two ends of the spectrum, but closer to the good end. As I've learned is his usual set-up, hi
Love Fool
Jul 14, 2015 Love Fool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot twice, his wife has been murdered, and his six-month-old daughter has been kidnapped. When he gets the ransom note-he knows he has only one chance to get this right. But there is nowhere he can turn and no one he can trust.

Okay, so this book is a little "can't happen in real life" but Harlan Coben is such an incredible writer that you kinda forget it and just let yourself be sucked in.
Alex
NO SECOND CHANCE (Pub. 2003) by Harlan Coben kept me turning the pages right up until the end. The story kicks off with a bang and gave me no choice but to read on because I had to find out what would happen next.

Marc Seidman wakes up in the hospital, recovering from surgery to remove a bullet lodged in his chest during a home invasion. He quickly finds out that his wife was also shot and killed, and his infant daughter has been kidnapped. Seidman is desperate to find his daughter but his search
Mary JL
Feb 08, 2012 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries and thrillers
Shelves: mystery-horror
Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up in a hospital after 12 days. He had been shot and left for dead; his wife was killed and their six month old daughter,Tara, is missing.

When he gets a ransom note, he is desperate to save his daughter's life. Tara's grandfather, who is quite wealthy, puts up $2 million and Marc attempts the swap. It is not sucessufl and Marc feels he has lost it all.

Then , 18 months later, he DOES get a second chance--despite the title--and this time he decides not to involve the police.
LATOYA SAUNDERS
Harlan Coben does a great job of giving his characters interesting professions and portraying them well. There's enough detail to make you think he was a plastic surgeon in a past life.
This novel was funny but the support characters are a little unbelievable. At one time or another three of them lend the protagonist their cars, one of which had just met him.
Nevertheless it is the same page turning thriller that this best selling author is famous for.
Dana
Apr 01, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Marc Seidman has been shot, his wife murdered and his baby daughter kidnapped. When Marc is finally ready to go home from the hospital his wealthy, priggish father-in-law summons him to see the ransom note.

Seidman goes against instructions and involves the police and things go terribly wrong. Marc soon finds himself turned upside down in an attempt to try and find his daughter.

Just when you think you have it figured out the story hits another bump and twist and you start all over. A great se
Stephen Clynes
Oct 01, 2014 Stephen Clynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This story is NOT hot off the press as Harlan wrote this novel in 2003. Does this 391 page crime thriller seem out of date, reading it 11 years after it was first published? NO! this book is a stonking good read and it DOES NOT show it's age. What you get is a first class read that fully entertains you from start to finish. No Second Chance is a FULL story will loads of detail and lots of tw
Muddypuddles
May 12, 2014 Muddypuddles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a fair few of Harlan Coben's books, and they certainly keep me turning the pages. The trouble is, they're a bit like McDonalds burgers: you really fancy one, but after you've finished it you feel unsatisfied and a bit empty. Doesn't stop you fancying another one though.

This book was a real HC by numbers, although thank God it didn't have that godawful Hester Crimstein in it. All the other usual plot lines were there though: the teenage love affair that cast a long shadow over all fut
Adam
Mar 23, 2009 Adam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Samantha
Jul 24, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Second Chance was everything that I expected it to be. It was fast paced, page turning action that constantly left me wondering what could possibly happen next. This is my third book by Coben and although it wasn't my favorite (that still remains as my first read Tell No One by Coben) it was a solid second.

In this book Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up from a coma to realize that he has lost everything. His infant daughter has disappeared and his wife is dead. The worst part of all is that all of Ma
Barbra
Aug 16, 2009 Barbra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like Coben's books. Good thriller and good plot.

Back Cover Blurb:
'When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter'.....Marc Seidman wakes up in ICU to find his wife has been murdered and his baby daughter, Tara, has vanished. Then something arrives to give Marc new hope: a ransom note. 'We are watching. If you contact the authorities you will never see your daughter again. There will be no second chance'.
The note is chilling, but Marc sees only one thing: the chance to save
Carrie Straka
This book wasn't my favorite Coben book. I really enjoyed it at first, but then it just started to drag.

The thing that really bothered me about this one was that the main character Marc Seidman has the same name as a main character in Coben's first book, Play Dead. In a letter to readers at the beginning of Play Dead, Coben mentions that sometimes he borrowed details from Play Dead and used them in other books.

I didn't like that, because it seems like writers should not use the same name for c
Guilherme
Aug 10, 2014 Guilherme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
No Second Chance is a typical mystery by Harlan Coben. As some books that I read from him, this book involves a crime and it happened with a family. Although we can guess some scenes, his books are always very interesting. One example is the beginning of the book, which the character, Dr. Seidman, woke up on a bed of hospital with his wife murdered his daughter vanished. This event was definitely the first major event of the story.

His house was attacked, and he was bulled twice. Because of this
Lanie
Apr 09, 2014 Lanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me completely by surprise. I rated it high because of its superior story notes on so many levels. First of all, if you have children, this story will tug at your heartstrings. Marc Seidman wakes up in a hospital to find out that 12 days earlier, his wife was killed and his 6 month old daughter has disappeared. You don't have to work too hard to put yourself in his shoes. So I got into this one right away. I remember what my babies were like at 6 months, and I was panicked just thi ...more
Greg
Dec 29, 2014 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coben
I am liking Mr. Coben's book more and more! This was a very good twisting and turning story that I for once did not figure out till the very end! I just wish that he'd throw in some pictures once in a while... authors always describe such gorgeous people and I'd like to see if they fit my mind's eye's version!
Colt Leasure
On one hand I appreciate the mans work, on the other I can see why so many crime novelists think his voice isn't gritty or cynical enough. I see the pastiche of every other major writer in the genre, and it works. What makes Coben distinct is his obsession with loss and missing people - a theme that I appreciate but also see the flaw in, as its Cobens way of dealing with death in a very candy coated way. Yet that doesn't take away entirely from his talent. The unexpected plot turns and interesti ...more
David
Nov 22, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
In much the same way Alfred Hitchcock was a master at building up tension in his movies, Coben succeeds at creating an air of tension and desperation. At the same time, Coben manages to drop a number of "lines in the water" meaning that there are always multiple questions hanging in the reader (and hero's) minds. He carefully resolves each one slowly and surely, and he does it like a master fisherman, because he knows how to "set the hook" in his reader's minds and keep them wondering.

In "No Sec
Greg Bascom
May 19, 2012 Greg Bascom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Marc Seidman wakes up in the hospital to discover that twelve days earlier someone kidnapped his six-month old daughter, murdered his wife and left him for dead with two gunshots in the chest. Not easy to figure this one, until the ransom demand arrives for two million dollars. It stipulates not to contact the authorities or else - NO SECOND CHANCE. Marc agonizes before involving the cops and FBI. His father-in-law provides the two million, which the culprits take and, true to their word, of ...more
Erin
Mar 13, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-suspense
I love Harlan Coben--I really do. He has a similar style to Lee Child, but to me his characters are more personal, less "badass can take down any bad guy" and his stories are less complex and less detailed--in a good way. He keeps that pacing CRANKING. I mean, the book starts out with this line: "When the first bullet hit my chest, I thought of my daughter." That's a great opening! Coben keeps the tension high throughout the story, and actually resolved it in a really satisfying way. I objected ...more
Joyce
Apr 06, 2015 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Geen tweede kans is de derde standalone thriller van de hand van veelschrijver Harlan Coben. Marc Seidman wordt in zijn eigen huis neergeschoten en komt na twaalf dagen bij op de Intensive Care. Zijn vrouw Monica blijkt te zijn overleden en zijn dochter Tara blijkt te zijn vermist. Marc doet er alles aan om achter de waarheid omtrent de verdwijning van zijn dochter te komen.

Ik heb Harlan Coben pas recent ontdekt als schrijver en ik ben aan zeer aangename inhaalslag bezig. In Geen tweede kans st
Bandit
Aug 15, 2013 Bandit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic Coben. Which is a good thing. The man has a formula, he sticks to it, I like consistency. Plus I always found suburbs unsettling and Coben's books tends to justify my thinking. This book (and I think I might have read it ages ago and forgot it, which is good because it proves these books can be forgotten enough to be eventually reread) has more moral ambiguity than some of his other ones, it's a nice change. Fast read as they all are. The great thing about Coben is that he writ ...more
Pat
May 23, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these sorts of stories where ordinary people are put through the wringer and have their lives turned upside down and then have to do stuff they've never done before to save their families/own skins/whatever. In typical Coben fashion he takes us to hell and back. Good twist at the end. A good, gripping yarn.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Yeah, Coben's stories are a little formulaic and predictable, but I love them nonetheless. They are exciting and fast reads. I like the earlier ones better than the more recent, and No Second Chance is one of my favorites.

"He earned his money the old fashioned way: He inherited it. The more things were handed to you on a silver platter, the more you complain about welfare mothers and government handouts. He belongs to that unique class of the entitled who have deluded themselves into believing t
Cynthia
Feb 26, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam Arnold
Personally Harlan Coben is one of my favourite authors. Having said that I just didn't get into this book. His other books have drawn me in and hooked me but this was not the same. I have to be honest and say personally I have not been having a good time recently so the lack of enthusiasm for the book could be more to do with that than anything.

I seriously struggled through this book. The story was good and had some great twists along the way. The characters I didn't really bother about and tha
John
Mar 31, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Lightweight but pulse-pounding entertainment. The oddly-titled NO SECOND CHANCE (it would have made a lot more sense to call it SECOND CHANCES) never takes its foot off the gas pedal, making it a far more enjoyable read than my first experience with Harlan Coben. Coben's writing, while seldom profound, keeps the story charging rapidly ahead while still remaining introspective and maintaining a strong eye for detail--although, I must admit I'm not a fan of the alternating first- and third-person ...more
Melanie Chabrol-
Jan 01, 2012 Melanie Chabrol- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marc,Monica,Stacey,Lydia,Dina, Verne, Katarina just to name a few, how do they all tie into the kidnapping of Dr. Marc Seidman's daughter? even after 18 months, why would they come back again? who is behind all of it, why kill his wife? sister, and attempt to kill him. After all he is only a doctor? who has the possibility of no second chance find out, i won't tell, neither would Harlan Coben you have to buy the book cuz i won't tell. there is no second chance.
This book had me going to read it i
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 27/04/2004
Author: Harlan Coben
Recommended for: fan's of thrillers

A really great book and a fantastic author!I would definately recommend. Harlan Coben is a really great thriller author that knows how to keep the author hooked and makes them keep turning the pages. I has a really great start that makes the reader want to keep on read to find out what will happen next.

The tension is kept throughout the whole book which is a brilliant skill that Harlan Coben has. The main character is ea
Mike Calvo
Aug 08, 2014 Mike Calvo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome! It's a great read. Even though it's my second time reading it, it's still just as good as the first time. Enjoy!
2015 Reading Chal...: No Second Chance by Harlan Corben 7 16 Feb 10, 2015 05:33AM
Bookwormed Reviews: No Second Chance - Harlan Coben 3 11 Jan 21, 2014 02:29PM
Le résumé en français 1 6 Jun 16, 2013 08:01AM
  • Too Close to Home
  • Killer Instinct
  • Demolition Angel
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • Parallel Lies
  • Mortal Fear (Mississippi #1)
  • Void Moon
  • Night Judgement at Sinos
  • More Twisted: Collected Stories Vol. II
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Scott Free
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Stolen in the Night
  • Compulsion (Alex Delaware, #22)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“Fame is more addictive than crack. Adults who lose fame--one-hit wonders, for example--usually tailspin into depression, though they try to act like they're above it. They don't want to admit the truth. Their whole life is a lie, a desperate scramble for another dose of that most potent of drugs. Fame” 4 likes
“I look at her, then at Tasha, and I feel the wondrous blend of bliss and fear. They--bliss and fear--are constant companions. Rarely does one venture out without the other.” 3 likes