Start by marking “Night at the Fair” as Want to Read:
Night at the Fair

Night at the Fair

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
It's time! The gates are open, the rides are spinning-come to the fair! Nighttime at the fair is magic with Caldecott Honor-winning author-artist Donald Crews. The sky goes dark and the colored lights begin to flash and sparkle. There are games to play and treats to eat. From the top of the Ferris wheel you can see where you've been-and where you have yet to go. So much to ...more
Published April 14th 1998 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Night at the Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night at the Fair

Bonnie Ferrante
May 13, 2014 Bonnie Ferrante rated it it was ok
The book begins at the main gate of a fair where people are lining up to buy tickets and are drawn by the lure of the bright lights. With the black background, the watercolor pictures pop, especially the yellow and white lights. The individual faces could have had more detail and expression on several of the pages. Each double spread illustration gave a clear idea of the exuberance and clutter of the fair.

The story was lacking. Basically, we are taken on a tour of the sites at the fair. There is
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 23, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
The community fair, complete with rides, games, and funnel cakes is an old American institution, imported from Europe, whose popularity persists despite many changes in our social rhythms. Donald Crews gives a childs-eye view of the fair, capturing well the sense of noisy excitement and fun that pervades the event. His bright colors, flashing against a darkened sky, show the rides and games up well, and it's almost possible to hear the hawkers inviting visitors to try out the games. In this fair ...more
H
Nov 20, 2015 H rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
He drew himself in the story!!
Mayra Martinez
Sep 27, 2012 Mayra Martinez rated it it was ok
This book is all about how the best time to go to the fair is at night because that is when the people could see the lights. It goes through all the things that can be done at the fair like eat, play games, win prizes, and go on rides. It says that the best ride is the Ferris wheel because from the top you can see all the fair and you can see what you have done and what is still to be done. This book reminded me of when I went to the fair and how the Ferris wheel was my favorite ride.
Alisha Williams
Sep 20, 2011 Alisha Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This was a book with some amazing illustrations. It takes place at a fair. It would be a good book to read to children when it is fair time. It would help them relate to things that they may of done over the summer. It also has a picture of the author/ illustrator in the illustrations which would be something that you could talk to the class about.
Robin Sheldon
May 01, 2013 Robin Sheldon rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are beautiful. After spending time on each page I am easily transported back to hot, hazy summer evenings at amusement parks and county fairs - the sights, sounds, smells, tastes... Even though there wasn't much text, I spent a lot of time describing my experiences and memories to my kids.
Shuntia Williams
Mar 03, 2011 Shuntia Williams rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
This book shows and tells all the different things you can do and see at a fair. I like this book because of the vivid pictures that the illustrator painted. With this book I would have my students write a story for each picture since there are few words used in this book.
Emerson School  Library
A lovely "small moments" book from Donald Crews, and one that offers lots of opportunities to turn and talk about rides and foods and other Fair excitements. Does a lovely job of evoking the feeling of an exciting night out.
Katie
Jul 21, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faiths-books
We read this in anticipation of attending the Ohio State Fair next week. The illustrations are awesome. There is one of the lights on an amusement ride that is so bright, it's as if it's electrified.
Kate Hastings
Feb 18, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Toddlers, PreK, Grades K-2
Shelves: summerstorytimes
This would be a great addition to a summer storytime or summer collection of books. All about going to the fair. Very few words. Dark pictures help to portray the surreal feeling of visiting at night.
Jen
Oct 15, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
This book has so few words it could be good for ESL, the pictures seem a bit out dated. You could use this book just to describe the pictures.
Kelsey
Jun 08, 2012 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: Preschool - Kindergarten
Season: Summer

Sparse worded text invites children and caregivers to talk about the many adventures at the fair.
Michelle White
I think student's would like this book because it portrarys something almost everyone has experienced, a fair. I got it from the IUS Library.
Michele and her First Graders
Sep 25, 2007 Michele and her First Graders rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Great book for writing about place. We loved the illustration that includes a self-portrait of the author!
Chak
Apr 06, 2009 Chak rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid
We usually really like Donald Crews, but we weren't feeling this one.
Michele Caracappa
Michele Caracappa rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Katya
Katya rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Camellia
Camellia marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Kristen White
Kristen White marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015