Start by marking “Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #1)” as Want to Read:
Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #1)

Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force #1)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  4,824 ratings  ·  80 reviews
From the #1 New York Times best-selling creators of Op-Center comes a different kind of law enforcement. In the year 2010, computers are the new superpowers. Those who control them, control the world. To enforce the Net Laws, Congress forms the ultimate computer security agency within the FBI: the Net Force.
Published February 1st 1999 by Berkley Books (first published September 24th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Net Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Net Force

Michael
It's hard to read this book today with the dated and incorrect predictions about technology. It's not really the author's fault--who could know? But still: most civilians don't have cellphones, the idea of "travelling through a network in VR" is laughable, and the government agents have a device called a "virgil" which is similar to a Blackberry, but far less powerful.

The book also seems to have product placement throughout (Dodge Viper, Dodge Neon, Chrysler Prowler), something I thought was the...more
Guera
The book so far is enjoyable in terms of the story line. This is the first of 12 books in the Net Force series if I remember correctly. This book sets the tone, I assume, for the rest of the books to follow. Hence there is a lot of background and character introduction. It requires serious focus and concentration, which sort of defeats the purpose why I am reading fiction at the moment. I am working on a doctorate and would like switch off at night with something less intense! I do however find...more
Janet
The Tom Clancy Net Force books are what I call “Beach Books.” They move quickly, are not very deep and have twisty waves of plot to draw one’s interest for a brief interval. I wouldn’t mind terribly if they got wet and were washed overboard. Clancy and friends wrote so many of these Net Force novels there’s always another one waiting to take its place. The local HPB has ‘em for a buck a piece. Surf’s up!
Indie Drew
Dear page dwellers: Generally speaking, although I read many works, I rarely review the well-known authors, and I especially don't review older works. It just so happens, though, that I revisited one of Tom Clancy's better known books recently, on my off time, and I was reopened to the military fantasy worlds of one of the greatest fighter writers of our time. Considering Tom Clancy's recent death, you might say this is a bit of a tribute review.

The interesting thing about Net Force is that a l...more
An Odd1
*** "Net Force" says 'created by' Tom Clancy and Steve Pieczanik, but does not attribute to other writers in my book copy, although Goodreads lists Steve Perry. Again, the middle-aged man's wife takes the kids because he works too hard, only this time she's been gone years, divorced, he still feels married. Add the teen geek son who gets the high-school sweetheart. Car chases lose oomph in virtual reality phony settings. Lots of unreadable Russian alphabet, Indonesian martial arts silat and weap...more
Eric Wright
Too often I pick up a Clancy book given me by my son, or picked up cheap at a used book mart and think, "Oh, this'll be a good entertaining read." So when Grisham's latest disappointed me over Christmas, a time for snuggling up in a comfy chair and giving oneself to a good story, I picked up Clancy's Net Force. Mistake.

I forced myself to read to page 146 thinking it must be me, not the book. Finally after a few days I've given it up--dumped it on a special shelf I have for dumped books. If it wa...more
Dallin Spainhower
This book was a good one, and the reason why I chose this book is because I always wanted to read the Tom Clancy's Net Force books, and I finally picked some up at the local DI. Now this book is about how a computer hacker. This computer hacker gains money off the internet, and uses the money to buy out government and hit men. And one of these hit men took out the head of and commander of Net Force.

The book started because of the fear of internet terrorism and was that people can compromise the...more
Jing
Dec 15, 2007 Jing rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: interested in the future and action
Shelves: advisory
The book brings us to the future of what the author dreams of. Base on secret angency and rich politicians point of view, there is two sides in a conflict. One is the organization which facilitate laws control the Net Force and the other is called the Cyber Nation. A man named Ames part of the Cyber Nation want to bring the Net Force down and control as his own. Devious and extremely intelligent, he continoulsy make an imapact on the Net Force systematically and even lawsuits. Secrety he bribes...more
Katelyn
Kamal Salem
Brian Turner
Not bad action story, although probably not good enough to warrant having Tom Clancy's name plastered all over it in big letters. I can't tell if Clancy had any input to it - it says it's created by him and Steve Pieczenik, then thanks Steve Perry for his contributions.
(From what I can tell, I think Steve Perry is the actual author).

Written in the late '90s and set in 2012, it tends to date itself quite often, and the characters kids in it have the most risible slang possible, as well as being t...more
Rachel
Dec 21, 2007 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: military sf fans, Clancy fans
The original Net Force book is pretty much the best light reading I've found since Tom Clancy stopped writing his own books. :) Written by Steve Perry (author of the Matadora SF series), it's got action, martial arts, government intrigue, politics, and romance... so much so that it hardly fits in one book. Combining the best of Perry's (much matured, but definitely still an acquired taste) martial arts and mystical sensibilities with Clancy's hard core military fiction, the book is exciting, ent...more
Mary Drayer
I am totally a Tom Clancy fan...but this one has "old" technology in the mix..the plot is good but civilians do not have cellphones? huh?
Tyler
It's a book, that while enjoyable (if you can look past its flaws) has not aged well. The writing style is just ok and parts of the plot are bizarrely far fetched, but if you are looking for a throw-away beach reader, this could be it. I read it because I love Tom Clancy and picked it up for free. I eventually began wanting to put something better in the space it was taking, so I had to read it before I could give it away. It was the first of the Clancy books that I read that weren't actually au...more
Darbus
The description on this book seems to be incorrect.

My main issue with this book was the fact that the ending began far too late in the story. It was as if the author went, 'oh, right, I need to finish this, hmm,' and then proceeded to shove some random stuff together in the semblance of a conclusion. Similarly, this book dealt with sub-plots very poorly. There were many of them, but few were satisfactorily resolved. Another problem was the VR world itself. It seemed either very contradictory or...more
Russell L
I didn't like it. The book deals with virtual reality and computers with murder and bad guys thrown in.
Peter Charleston
Interesting tale. A little bit far fetched on the computer.
Thomas Roth
An excellent start to a series. Great action intertwined with believable technologies.
Martha
This book was difficult for me to get through, even though I enjoy this type of story. Usually I can read a book straight through in just a few days, but it took me a couple of weeks to get through this one because it didn't hold my interest very well at the beginning. I actually read several other books in between reading a chapter here and there of this one. By the end, though, it became much more interesting, and I am glad I stuck with it and finished it. I do plan to read more of this series...more
Sonny Levine
Long and difficult. Makes no sense.
Essau Alli
This book is an adventure book that is about spies and the adventures that they take. Their is one particular spy and his name was Tom Clancy, one of the best spies. He was very good at his missions and completed them with honor.

I can connect this book to the world because there are actual spies that take adventures and go on missions but are secrets because no one is supposed to know what their objective is.

I rate this book 3.5 stars because I thought it was too short and was kind of easy for...more
Martin
Jako vše od Clancyho/Perryho - skvělá detektivka. Je úsměvné v roce 2013 číst, jak si v 1999 představovali budoucnost internetu a technologií. Všudepřítomná VR plná analogií (připínáčky jako terminační programy jsou rozkošné) či víra v raketový rozvoj IT (jen pro tu VR bychom potřebovali výkon, který poskytnou kvantové počítače tak za 10-20 let) je kouzelná. Pokud to ale budete číst jako sci-fi (přidáte 100 let k letopočtům), pak není problém.
Bavil jsem se a těším se na další díl.
Bigjon357
Loved it read a lot like the NCIS show
Tracy
It was like one of those awful shows you get stuck watching on Saturday afternoon, and you're thinking 'This show is so dumb. I should turn it off.' And yet you just keep watching cause you have to see the ending.

My sister left this book at my house. She'd carried it on her back across Australia for 5 months but never got around to reading it. Yeah, that was about half a pound she could've done without. Would've saved me about 5 hours of reading time.
AndrewP
Super secret computer and virtual reality based branch of the CIA/FBI. Not a bad story although the computer technology described is either outdated or not being close to available yet. I guess that's the risk when you write about something that changes so fast. Funny thing is, by the end of the book I was more interested in the main characters personal lives than the main storyline.. go figure.
Tina Chase
I really tried to give this book a chance, but struggled to finish it. The story line was pretty weak, and the ending was pretty anti-climactic. I realize this was meant to be "futuristic", but even though it was written about 10 years ago - the setting for 2010 is pretty far-fetched. I usually really enjoy Tom Clancy, but did not feel this one was up to par.
Derrick
Good filler time reading. I got a whole box of books like this from one of my co-workers. It's very good, but like most books like this, they start to follow an inescapable formula that prevents you from reading more than two back to back without feeling like you need to cleanse your mental palate.
It is part political thriller and part computer sci-fi.
Edwin Kort
Leuk verhaal soms wat langdradig. Op naar deel 2.
very nice book 3 10 Jan 28, 2014 10:36PM
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • Barracuda 945 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #6)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • White Death (NUMA Files, #4)
Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream of writing a novel came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984).

He since wrote more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. Ten of the novels, including The Teeth of...more
More about Tom Clancy...
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3) Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1) Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5) Red Storm Rising Without Remorse (John Clark, #1)