Start by marking “Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen

Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen

Stretching between turn-of-the-century Paris and contemporary Canada, Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen is the story of three women whose lives intersect across time to reveal the intrinsic bonds of our collective and personal histories. It is a rich and compassionate debut, a novel that encourages us to explore the depths of love and memory, of life and of art.

Unable to e
Published December 2nd 2003 by Anchor Canada (first published January 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen

Felice
Jan 10, 2010 Felice rated it really liked it
There are a few cover images that I am a sucker for. One of them is a kettle. Not a Ma or Pa Kettle but a boil the water kettle. I will always, always examine a book with a kettle on the cover. There was always a kettle on my Mother's stove and I love the shape of them. I guess that's the appeal. Plus I drink a lot of tea too if that counts.

Hence my picking up Madame Proust and the Kosher Kitchen by author Kate Taylor. Once again the power of the kettle (thank you mighty kettle) didn't let me do
Maddy
Dec 03, 2013 Maddy rated it liked it
I assumed this book would be a lot fluffier than it is. It deals with some pretty heavy stuff and seems to deserve a heavier, one-or-two word name , as opposed to a character and an important symbol from two different stories (which are, of course, related).

On the whole, I liked it, though it's definitely a "tell, not show" sort of book, in that character's motivations are spelled out in narration, rather than only having their actions indicate their motivations. Telling is generally considered
Rachelle Urist
Jul 02, 2014 Rachelle Urist rated it liked it
I was sometimes confused while reading this book. The author switches voices, from one narrator to another, during the course of the story-telling. When I couldn't tell whether the narrator was Sarah, Marie, or someone else, it was frustrating. On the other hand, the research that went into the stories, particularly into the diary that Taylor creates for Mme. Proust, is spectacular. The diary entries held my attention throughout. Ditto for the story of young Sarah, sent to Canada from Paris by ...more
Montserrat
La coberta de l'edició espanyola és un veritable horror. No explica ni evoca res del llibre.
Katie
Aug 01, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
helps to have read (at least some of) Remembrance of Things Past, but probably still enjoyable.
Tim Love

Sarah, born 1929, was evacuated from Paris to Canada in 1942. She was fostered by Sam and Rachael. In 1951 she returned to Paris to confirm that her Jewish parents had died. In 1956 back in Canada she married Dan Segal, son of Lionel and Clara. In 1966 they had Max, loved in vain by Marie, who goes to Paris to read the original journals of Proust's mother.

One can piece together this chronology from dates and interval-lengths mentioned in the text - the tales are told largely in parallel, dominat
Larry
Jun 21, 2012 Larry rated it it was ok
I finished this some time ago but failed to write a review as I don't like to be too critical but i just have to say this was a disappointment.

As one who will read anything about Proust this was a tantalizing prospect. Let me say at the outset that it is well written overall but falls down in achieving what is promised a coherent knitting together of the various threads that make up the novel. At a little shy of 500 pages I think it could have done with some serious editing, the best parts are t
Cherop
Nov 22, 2009 Cherop rated it liked it
I've had this book in my collection for a few years now. I was intrigued by the cover and the title. I only started reading it this past week and enjoyed it quite a lot. I would rate it more highly except that the story is told from the perspective of 3 women and I felt that this weakened the book overall since the story line of Marie and Max just did not work for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the historical diaries of Mme. Proust and this is what carried me through to the conclusion of the book. ...more
Jack
Jan 01, 2013 Jack rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I loved this book. It beautifully intertwines the story of three women living in different time periods with the early years of Marcel Proust, the Dreyfuss Affair, the Holocaust, and kosher cooking. The writing is exquisite throughout, especially Mme Proust's diaries. In addition there were several places where the book spoke to me very personally and movingly.
Linda Tuplin
Jul 02, 2013 Linda Tuplin rated it it was ok
Interesting book, especially the diary entries and glimpse into who Proust was. But I found the characters a bit confusing as to how they fit into the overall story and had to keep reminding myself of who they were and what/why they were talking.
Susan Zinner
Jul 15, 2012 Susan Zinner rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved this book (more than her more recent "A Good Solder") which brings together three plot threads set in different eras. I found the diaries of Mme. Proust fascinating and learned a lot about Marcel...may even consider attempting his somewhat intimidating masterpiece in the future!
Robyn
Jan 25, 2010 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Exquisite language, beautiful story--just wonderfully crafted and difficult to put down. Recommended to Francophiles, lovers of Proust, food, and Jewish history.
Kit
May 26, 2008 Kit rated it liked it
Enjoyed the descriptions of late 19th century Paris,Proust and the author's insights about French/English languages. I don't think the three-story structure worked very well.
Michelle Hill
Michelle Hill rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Sherah
Sherah rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2009
Susan Ash hanson
Mar 20, 2016 Susan Ash hanson rated it liked it
Different, hard to keep track of the changing first person
Maka
Maka rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Alma Sinan
Alma Sinan rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Silvia Valls
Jan 17, 2015 Silvia Valls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Qué gran placer es releer!
Jodi
May 19, 2012 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
11/24/2009 The ending pulled this together beautifully and masterfully.
Vikki
Vikki rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Ligia
Ligia rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Doreen
Doreen rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Celia
Celia rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2011
David Edmonds
David Edmonds rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Debby K
Debby K rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
  • The Continuity Girl
  • Heaven is Small
  • The Mountain and the Valley
  • Swamp Angel
  • The Guilty Plea (Detective Greene, #2)
  • There Are Jews in My House
  • Simple Recipes
  • The Summer Before the Storm
  • The Incident Report
  • Wait Time: A Memoir of Cancer
  • Barnacle Love
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • Into the Tunnel: The Brief Life of Marion Samuel, 1931-1943
  • When They Come for Us, We'll Be Gone: The Epic Struggle to Save Soviet Jewry
  • Dry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood

This is the page for Canadian novelist and cultural journalist Kate Taylor, author of Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen and A Man in Uniform.

British sex columnist Kate Taylor is the author of Not Tonight, Mr. Right.

American arts journalist Kate Taylor is the editor of Going
More about Kate Taylor...