Start by marking “Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen

Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Stretching between turn-of-the-century Paris and contemporary Canada, Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen is the story of three women whose lives intersect across time to reveal the intrinsic bonds of our collective and personal histories. It is a rich and compassionate debut, a novel that encourages us to explore the depths of love and memory, of life and of art.

Unable to e
Published December 2nd 2003 by Anchor Canada (first published January 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen

Felice
There are a few cover images that I am a sucker for. One of them is a kettle. Not a Ma or Pa Kettle but a boil the water kettle. I will always, always examine a book with a kettle on the cover. There was always a kettle on my Mother's stove and I love the shape of them. I guess that's the appeal. Plus I drink a lot of tea too if that counts.

Hence my picking up Madame Proust and the Kosher Kitchen by author Kate Taylor. Once again the power of the kettle (thank you mighty kettle) didn't let me do
Rachelle Urist
I was sometimes confused while reading this book. The author switches voices, from one narrator to another, during the course of the story-telling. When I couldn't tell whether the narrator was Sarah, Marie, or someone else, it was frustrating. On the other hand, the research that went into the stories, particularly into the diary that Taylor creates for Mme. Proust, is spectacular. The diary entries held my attention throughout. Ditto for the story of young Sarah, sent to Canada from Paris by h ...more
Maddy
I assumed this book would be a lot fluffier than it is. It deals with some pretty heavy stuff and seems to deserve a heavier, one-or-two word name , as opposed to a character and an important symbol from two different stories (which are, of course, related).

On the whole, I liked it, though it's definitely a "tell, not show" sort of book, in that character's motivations are spelled out in narration, rather than only having their actions indicate their motivations. Telling is generally considered
Larry
I finished this some time ago but failed to write a review as I don't like to be too critical but i just have to say this was a disappointment.

As one who will read anything about Proust this was a tantalizing prospect. Let me say at the outset that it is well written overall but falls down in achieving what is promised a coherent knitting together of the various threads that make up the novel. At a little shy of 500 pages I think it could have done with some serious editing, the best parts are t
Cherop
I've had this book in my collection for a few years now. I was intrigued by the cover and the title. I only started reading it this past week and enjoyed it quite a lot. I would rate it more highly except that the story is told from the perspective of 3 women and I felt that this weakened the book overall since the story line of Marie and Max just did not work for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the historical diaries of Mme. Proust and this is what carried me through to the conclusion of the book. Ove ...more
Jack
Jan 01, 2013 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
I loved this book. It beautifully intertwines the story of three women living in different time periods with the early years of Marcel Proust, the Dreyfuss Affair, the Holocaust, and kosher cooking. The writing is exquisite throughout, especially Mme Proust's diaries. In addition there were several places where the book spoke to me very personally and movingly.
Susan Zinner
Absolutely loved this book (more than her more recent "A Good Solder") which brings together three plot threads set in different eras. I found the diaries of Mme. Proust fascinating and learned a lot about Marcel...may even consider attempting his somewhat intimidating masterpiece in the future!
Linda Tuplin
Interesting book, especially the diary entries and glimpse into who Proust was. But I found the characters a bit confusing as to how they fit into the overall story and had to keep reminding myself of who they were and what/why they were talking.
Kit
Enjoyed the descriptions of late 19th century Paris,Proust and the author's insights about French/English languages. I don't think the three-story structure worked very well.
Robyn
Exquisite language, beautiful story--just wonderfully crafted and difficult to put down. Recommended to Francophiles, lovers of Proust, food, and Jewish history.
Katie Meares
helps to have read (at least some of) Remembrance of Things Past, but probably still enjoyable.
Montserrat
La coberta de l'edició espanyola és un veritable horror. No explica ni evoca res del llibre.
Jodi
11/24/2009 The ending pulled this together beautifully and masterfully.
Izhar
Reading this book at the moment. I do not wish it to end. Tojours Proustian.
Ann
I was captivated by the fictional diary of Mme Proust.
Michele St John
Madame Proust and the Kosher Kitchen by Kate Taylor (2004)
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Antonio
Antonio marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Sheila
Sheila added it
Aug 08, 2014
Mark Satton
Mark Satton marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Aug 17, 2014
Imprinted Lives: ...: Madame Proust and the Kosher Kitchen 1 6 Aug 24, 2011 09:12PM
  • Consolation
  • Garbo Laughs
  • Reading by Lightning
  • Heaven is Small
  • When They Come for Us, We'll Be Gone: The Epic Struggle to Save Soviet Jewry
  • Stray Bullets (Detective Greene, #3)
  • Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic
  • Dry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood
  • Diario 1941-1943
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • Barnacle Love
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • The Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 1: 1889-1910

This is the page for Canadian novelist and cultural journalist Kate Taylor, author of Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen and A Man in Uniform.

British sex columnist Kate Taylor is the author of Not Tonight, Mr. Right.

American arts journalist Kate Taylor is the editor of Going
More about Kate Taylor...
A Man in Uniform: A Novel