Start by marking “Emerald House Rising” as Want to Read:
Emerald House Rising

Emerald House Rising

Jean is the daughter and only child of Collas the Gemcutter, jeweler to the nobility and supplier of magical gems and amulets. Jena has learned everything her father can teach her, and has created some beautiful objects of her own--but as a girl, she is expected to marry, not carry on her father's business. When Lord Morgan, a mysterious noble from the king's court, ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Aspect

To ask other readers questions about Emerald House Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emerald House Rising

Elsiekate
Nov 01, 2011 Elsiekate rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed it. i loved the world creation and some of the distinctive uses of magic. the characters were interesting people to spend time with. one thing that was more problematic for me than it would be for many other readers (i'd insert spoiler space here if it would make a lick of difference on this page) was that the construct for the optimal usage of magic was so definitively heterosexual. i realize that one's magic-working partner did not have to be one's lover, but it still wound up ...more
Tim Martin
May 08, 2016 Tim Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
I came across this book on a list of good stand-alone fantasy novels that are not connected with any larger series, a “one and done” if you will. I had never heard of the novel or the author and since this year I had really been wanting to expand my reading horizons, especially in the world of fantasy, I thought I would give it a try.

The book is told from a single point of view, a young woman by the name of Jena Gemcutter (most often just called Jena). Living in the coastal city of Piyar with he
M—
Mar 08, 2010 M— rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Jess Neuner
Nov 15, 2016 Jess Neuner rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
I think this is one of the first fantasy books I ever read. I stumbled across it at my local library as a kid and devoured it in a few days, so this book contributed (along with The Hobbit) to jump-starting my interest in fantasy. I spent years looking for it at bookshops, but never found it again (until Amazon.com, at least) and perhaps that affected how good I remember the book being, but I remember really liking it.

Jena is a regular person, looking forward to her upcoming marriage, trying to
Lynn B.
Dec 27, 2014 Lynn B. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, historical fans, original story fans,
Recommended to Lynn by: Flea market
Possible spoilers!
Jena is a gemcutters daughter and wants nothing more than to live a simple life as official gemcutter and marry her groom-to-be Bram. But then peculiar things start happening, she feels things others can't feel, sees things others can't see, and meets strange magicians.
She accidentally gets transported magically to a castle where many other wizards and magicians live, and finds out that she's an adept (magic-user) as well, and since every magician has a partner, she goes on a q
Kate
I liked this book. It was interesting, and used ideas I haven't seen in fantasy novels before. It got points from me right away, in fact, when I realized that it wasn't going to be one of those stories where (view spoiler). Other tropes--(view spoiler), for example--are similarly subverted.

I really liked the setting: a medieval city, laid out like a terrace
Cindy
Apr 02, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy, pg, fiction, youth
I initially thought this book might be dark. As far as magical stories go it was mild. It seems to be more about intrigue. It is a good story. I like to think of it as an upper crust type of a story. Meaning that it's an easy read and doesn't get too deep. I enjoyed the falling action.

PG Rating
Romance is secondary to the story line, although the characters do refer to intimate relations on occasion.

Murder and intrigue are a part of this story as well. It seemed minor up to the climax when ....s
Maria Elmvang
I am SO thrilled I finally got my hands on this book. And I have to say it was well worth the wait. Fascinating and charming - fantasy when it's best! It was one of those books I couldn't put down, yet was sad to finish, because I wanted to spend more time in the company of the characters. Peg really managed to make them come to life through the pages of the book. Definitely the best book I've read all month.
Lara
Sep 08, 2014 Lara rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite reads! I checked this one out on impulse from the library and I know recommend it to anyone with a passion for easy fantasy worlds that you can get lost in without having to memorize a millenium long family tree. The characters are fun to learn about and the development is well-paced. The only thing that makes me sad about this book is that there isn't a sequel!
Lori
Sep 28, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
A young woman with aspirations of following in her father's footsteps as a jeweler finds herself kidnapped by a noble who recognizes that he needs her in order to properly do magic.
While it was a good book in general with an interesting take on how magic requires two to work even if they don't fancy one another as individuals.
Allen Garvin
Apr 29, 2009 Allen Garvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-fantasy
A small fantasy, but very well-told, about Jena, a gem-cutter's apprentice, as she is introduced to nobility through her skill in jewelry, and learns she possesses a rare magical talent. Her writing reminds me a lot of Patricia Wrede's early fantasies, and I was disappointed she never followed this up with more stories in the same world.
DemetraP
Dec 26, 2014 DemetraP rated it did not like it
This book started strong but fizzled out. Magic is banned, but the nobles all use magic secretly. The main character discovers she has magic, then is magically whisked away to learn magic...I think. It was all very vague and confusing.

I stopped reading. Did not finish book.
Heather
Jul 06, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
One of my favorite books, I come back to it whenever I need a quick read for a trip or a waiting room.
Ihsaan
May 28, 2016 Ihsaan rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Very nice well constructed fantasy novel. Interesting system of magic created and a well thought out use of characters and situations to keep the plot moving. A good read.
Chie
Chie rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Trine
Trine rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2009
Melissa Bybee
Melissa Bybee rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Ally
Ally rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Catie
Catie rated it really liked it
May 31, 2011
DB in Richmond
DB in Richmond rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Melanie Shawl
Melanie Shawl rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2010
Sandy Darst
Sandy Darst rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2012
Owldaughter
Owldaughter rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2010
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2009
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
SBC
SBC rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Joyce
Joyce rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1)
  • Classic Celtic Fairy Tales
  • Dystopia
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2010
  • The Last Rainbow (Firelord, #3)
  • Prospero's Children
  • The Movie
  • Min ven Thomas
  • Rats and Gargoyles
  • Firewalk
  • Planescape Campaign Setting
  • Creature of Havoc (Fighting Fantasy, #24)
  • Destiny's Song (The Fixers, #1: A KarmaCorp Novel)
  • The Marching Dead
  • Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
  • In the Shadow of the Volcano: One Ex-Intelligence Official's Journey through Slums, Prisons, and Leper Colonies to the Heart of Latin America
  • Tripoint (The Company Wars, #6)
Peg Kerr was born in a Chicago suburb, moved to Minnesota to attend St. Olaf College, and has stayed in Minnesota ever since.

With $50.00 from her first paycheck, she registered for a science fiction and fantasy writing class. There, she met her husband and wrote the first story she ever sold. In hindsight, this is all quite pleasant consolation for the fact that she was fired from her job the day
More about Peg Kerr...