Start by marking “Hex and the Single Girl” as Want to Read:
Hex and the Single Girl

Hex and the Single Girl

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  507 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Emma Hutch is a witch who puts her supernatural powers to good use by styling herself as the ultimate matchmaker. The problem is, she spends so much time chasing after other people's love interests, she has no time for her own. Until, that is, she meets Liam Dearborn, Manhattan's most eligible bachelor.
Published December 1st 2006 by Little Black Dress (first published February 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hex and the Single Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hex and the Single Girl

The premise of this book was exciting. Quirky? Check. Funny? Check. Romance? Check. But that was just the description on the back of the book. I actually opened the book and decided to read it. Uncheck. It really was a Harlequin romance in a different jacket. If you like the Harlequin thing, this would fit the mold perfectly. Somehow, I left those Harlequin days behind in high school...... Well, maybe college. I read it quickly, but that was only because of time spent in doctor waiting rooms and ...more
Deb
Fun chick-lit with some laugh-out-loud moments.
Harry
Hilarious and well-written!
Melissa
Hex and the Single Girl is a true chick-lit title. This is actually my first Little Black Dress title and I don't think it's that bad. The plot is a little whimsical; after all, it's about a good witch who uses her powers to help match couples, almost like Emma by Jane Austen really (her name's Emma too!), except now, she falls for a guy meant for a client. What's a girl going to do?

Emma's nice but unfortunately, her personality doesn't really shine through. She sort of just comes across as the
Leeankh
Diana
Emma is a witch with the power of projecting images to other people. She uses her power in her matchmaking service, bringing love to others. One client's love, however, may turn out to be the one she's been waiting for all her life.

Absolutely fascinating premise and the supernatural aspects were great. The story was a little uneven and seemed too pat at times. The romance felt a bit unfulfilling as well. There were also multiple storylines cluttering up the book. However, it was a cute and fun r
Kallierose
I didn't expect to like this book much but I actually did end up enjoying it quite a bit. The concept was interesting (I won't say more because I'd hate to spoil it) and the characters were fun. This book was sort of like the foamy froth on top of a Pepsi - you suck it down quickly and enjoy it, but there's nothing of any substance there.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy a silly, guilty pleasure book as much as the next person. But a solid diet of them would probably rot my brain
Jackie Uhrmacher
Hex and the Single Girl by Valerie Frankel may sound convoluted, but it is one of those books that make you sigh in contentment with a big, fat, cheesy grin on your face. It isn’t gritty, it isn’t intense, it isn’t dark and menacing like a lot of paranormal books. It’s light and fluffy and funny as hell while managing to remain smart and savvy.

Full review available here: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/35355/he...
Bella Richardson
Easy bit of fluff with a few laugh out loud funny moments...but, it is not a great novel. Easy read for a snow day, but leaves you a little disappointed.
Francie
This book reminds me of the movie Hitch.
Anna-Lisa
Jul 03, 2010 Anna-Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna-Lisa by: lovelylilain@yahoo.de
This was an okayish read.

For my taste there was too much talk about sex. The characters were okay but not one was special in my eyes.

It was a fast read for a hot summer day when you didn't wanna think too much about what you're reading.

But sometimes I really had to laugh and that is what makes me give 3 stars. It was kinda enjoyable and that made it kinda good.
Rhiannon
This is one crazy energetic book! I didn't think I was going to like it much in the beginning, but I got drawn into its quirky oddball style. All in all a very punny book. (I couldn't help myself...)
Note: This is an adult book. (Valerie Frankel writes some YA books.) Mentions sexual acts a lot, and a couple of relatively tame sex scenes.
Kelly
Hmmm, not sure about this one tbh. It's sat on my tbr shelf for a while. Trying to clear some stand alones, so this was an obvious choice. It's more chick lit than paranormal romance, imho, but it was readable and did make me chuckle a few times.
Amy
This was a cute story about Emma Hutch, Manhattan's most successful telepathic matchmaker, lots of funny moments. There are three very short stories at the end of the book: Mr. February, A Walk on the Mild Side, and Kingdom Come.
Marj
Rating: 4 stars. Cute chicklit. This was the time i was starting to get hooked on chicklit where the lead girl is a witch (think Annette Blair). I like Emma and William and this was a nice summer read.
Amanda
After i have a really bad date, i run home & read excerpts out of the book. I helps remind me that not all relationships are hopeless. Even when it come to a witch & software engineer
Gin Sum
Enjoyed the story but the writing seemed a little haphazard, as if the author had many private jokes with her characters that I didn't really get most of the time.
Cathy
A quick easy read...everything almost comes together a bit to easily for all the characters that interact with Emma, but overall I did enjoy the book.
Rachel
Dec 30, 2007 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girlie-girls
This book is hysterical and ridiculous. It's absolute nonsense, but it was very entertaining. It's a quick read and has some laugh out loud moments.
Moira
A woman who devotes her life to making magical love connections; but can't make one for herself. Light and flirty it's a quick read.
Heather Adkins
Very cute. The main character has an interesting attitude and undergoes some real life kinda changes. I enjoyed it as a quick read.
Candice
I thought this was a cute quick read, but I didn't like the end too much. The end was a little to happily ever after for me.
Zawani
Oct 15, 2007 Zawani rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls and ADULTS
err..a bit here and there being added with adult stuffs. so girls..stay away.

my comment: the storyline is way so cute!
Tara
Not the worst book I've every read, but it was little to sugar-coated HEA. It got a little ridiculous.
JudyB
A total beach book... was worth it, as long as you need something brainless to read.

Quirky and funny.
Cornelia
Feb 27, 2013 Cornelia marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: contemporary
couldn't finish it. didn't even read half of it. didn't like the writing style and the heroine.
Aim
Witty and fun. Quirky characters. Too much and not enough. Still enjoyable light read.
Yazzie
It was okay; way too much going on for a simple little romance; not enough witchiness.
Jolenesiah
Hilarious book... i finish it within a day... just cant put the book down lol
Nancy Bielski
Read this on the way home to Minneapolis after visiting Mike in Boston.
  • Pick Me Up
  • Just Say Yes. Phillipa Ashley
  • Hysterical Blondeness
  • Step on it, Cupid
  • Mounting Desire
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • Everything Nice
  • Falling Out of Fashion
  • The Kept Woman
  • True Love (and Other Lies)
  • How to Sleep with a Movie Star
  • Does She or Doesn't She?
  • Paging Aphrodite
She's written twenty books (e.g., The Accidental Virgin and The Girlfriend Curse), and contributed to dozens of publications including the New York Times, Self, Allure, Glamour, Parenting and Good Housekeeping. Her memoir, Thin Is the New Happy, about overcoming bad body image after 30 years of dieting and self-loathing, was recently described as "Rueful, zestful and surprisingly funny," by the Ne ...more
More about Valerie Frankel...
Four of a Kind Thin Is the New Happy The Accidental Virgin The Girlfriend Curse It's Hard Not to Hate You: A Memoir