Start by marking “Hex and the Single Girl” as Want to Read:
Hex and the Single Girl

Hex and the Single Girl

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  566 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Emma Hutch is a witch who puts her supernatural powers to good use by styling herself as the ultimate matchmaker. Although she can't always promise true love, a ring or even commitment, she can guarantee that all-important first date between one of her clients and the object of his or her affections. The problem is, she spends so much time chasing after other people's love ...more
Published November 6th 2006 by Little Black Dress (first published February 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hex and the Single Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hex and the Single Girl

May 15, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book was exciting. Quirky? Check. Funny? Check. Romance? Check. But that was just the description on the back of the book. I actually opened the book and decided to read it. Uncheck. It really was a Harlequin romance in a different jacket. If you like the Harlequin thing, this would fit the mold perfectly. Somehow, I left those Harlequin days behind in high school...... Well, maybe college. I read it quickly, but that was only because of time spent in doctor waiting rooms and ...more
Deb
May 26, 2009 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Fun chick-lit with some laugh-out-loud moments.
Harry
Sep 15, 2013 Harry rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and well-written!
Marina Schulz
Nov 15, 2015 Marina Schulz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1star, reviewed, love
Hex and The Single Girl is the story of a matchmaker, Emma, who is also a psychic. She can pass images into other people's brains, and she uses this "power" in her line of work: women look for her telling them about men they care about but haven't noticed them, and she puts their image in their minds. To quote the blurb: "After all, what bachelor, confirmed or otherwise, could deny his true destiny when the woman he can't seem to stop thinking about suddenly appears right in front of him?". But ...more
Melissa
May 28, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Hex and the Single Girl is a true chick-lit title. This is actually my first Little Black Dress title and I don't think it's that bad. The plot is a little whimsical; after all, it's about a good witch who uses her powers to help match couples, almost like Emma by Jane Austen really (her name's Emma too!), except now, she falls for a guy meant for a client. What's a girl going to do?

Emma's nice but unfortunately, her personality doesn't really shine through. She sort of just comes across as the
Athena Macmillan
A really simple, light hearted read with a decent smattering of comedy. Emma is a good witch who uses her powers in matchmaking but is unlucky in love herself. Heavy in the cliches and a very high sap factor! But not so much that it stops the story from being just that little bit endearing.
Nansays Cortez
The book began with an interesting premise however halfway through the book nothing interesting had really happened.Next thing you know the book is already finished. There was hardly any interaction between the main characters so it was hard to believe the romance was genuine.
Shea
Sep 26, 2015 Shea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ihave
I feel almost guilty giving a chic lit 5 stars.

But it's funny- the LOL kind. Reading the book felt good, as if watching a good rom com.

Okay some feminists won't be happy with Emma's choices and Liam's behaviour. I personally would react differently but this isn't my story and a good book need not be about making all the "right" choices.

If the storyline is somewhat a fluff, filled with convenient co-incidences and lucky chances, let me remind you that this book is about a woman with telegraphopa
TheSalmaZ
Apr 06, 2016 TheSalmaZ rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really cute. It was really quick and easy to read and I enjoyed it. I would totally be up for reading another one of this author's titles.
Adele Goetz
Apr 07, 2015 Adele Goetz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was on board for the magical silliness, but oh my god, THE PUNS. Enough with the puns, Valerie Frankel.
Leeankh
Kerry
May 25, 2015 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would have been 3 stars but for the laugh-out-loud ending which appealed to my sense of humour.
Diana
Emma is a witch with the power of projecting images to other people. She uses her power in her matchmaking service, bringing love to others. One client's love, however, may turn out to be the one she's been waiting for all her life.

Absolutely fascinating premise and the supernatural aspects were great. The story was a little uneven and seemed too pat at times. The romance felt a bit unfulfilling as well. There were also multiple storylines cluttering up the book. However, it was a cute and fun r
Kallierose
I didn't expect to like this book much but I actually did end up enjoying it quite a bit. The concept was interesting (I won't say more because I'd hate to spoil it) and the characters were fun. This book was sort of like the foamy froth on top of a Pepsi - you suck it down quickly and enjoy it, but there's nothing of any substance there.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy a silly, guilty pleasure book as much as the next person. But a solid diet of them would probably rot my brain
Shafiya
Feb 24, 2016 Shafiya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: valerie-frankel
oh. god.
Jackie Uhrmacher
Hex and the Single Girl by Valerie Frankel may sound convoluted, but it is one of those books that make you sigh in contentment with a big, fat, cheesy grin on your face. It isn’t gritty, it isn’t intense, it isn’t dark and menacing like a lot of paranormal books. It’s light and fluffy and funny as hell while managing to remain smart and savvy.

Full review available here: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/35355/he...
Bella Richardson
Easy bit of fluff with a few laugh out loud funny moments...but, it is not a great novel. Easy read for a snow day, but leaves you a little disappointed.
Francie
This book reminds me of the movie Hitch.
Anna-Lisa
Jul 03, 2010 Anna-Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna-Lisa by: lovelylilain@yahoo.de
This was an okayish read.

For my taste there was too much talk about sex. The characters were okay but not one was special in my eyes.

It was a fast read for a hot summer day when you didn't wanna think too much about what you're reading.

But sometimes I really had to laugh and that is what makes me give 3 stars. It was kinda enjoyable and that made it kinda good.
Rhiannon
May 05, 2008 Rhiannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one crazy energetic book! I didn't think I was going to like it much in the beginning, but I got drawn into its quirky oddball style. All in all a very punny book. (I couldn't help myself...)
Note: This is an adult book. (Valerie Frankel writes some YA books.) Mentions sexual acts a lot, and a couple of relatively tame sex scenes.
Kelly
Jan 31, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witches, chick-lit, magic
Hmmm, not sure about this one tbh. It's sat on my tbr shelf for a while. Trying to clear some stand alones, so this was an obvious choice. It's more chick lit than paranormal romance, imho, but it was readable and did make me chuckle a few times.
Amy
This was a cute story about Emma Hutch, Manhattan's most successful telepathic matchmaker, lots of funny moments. There are three very short stories at the end of the book: Mr. February, A Walk on the Mild Side, and Kingdom Come.
Marj
Oct 14, 2013 Marj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4 stars. Cute chicklit. This was the time i was starting to get hooked on chicklit where the lead girl is a witch (think Annette Blair). I like Emma and William and this was a nice summer read.
Amanda
Dec 16, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After i have a really bad date, i run home & read excerpts out of the book. I helps remind me that not all relationships are hopeless. Even when it come to a witch & software engineer
Gin Sum
Oct 20, 2014 Gin Sum rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Enjoyed the story but the writing seemed a little haphazard, as if the author had many private jokes with her characters that I didn't really get most of the time.
Cathy
Aug 18, 2009 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick easy read...everything almost comes together a bit to easily for all the characters that interact with Emma, but overall I did enjoy the book.
Rachel
Dec 30, 2007 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girlie-girls
This book is hysterical and ridiculous. It's absolute nonsense, but it was very entertaining. It's a quick read and has some laugh out loud moments.
Moira
Jun 10, 2011 Moira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A woman who devotes her life to making magical love connections; but can't make one for herself. Light and flirty it's a quick read.
Heather Adkins
Very cute. The main character has an interesting attitude and undergoes some real life kinda changes. I enjoyed it as a quick read.
Candice
I thought this was a cute quick read, but I didn't like the end too much. The end was a little to happily ever after for me.
  • Pick Me Up
  • Hysterical Blondeness
  • The Balance Thing
  • Falling Out of Fashion
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • A WAG Abroad (WAGs Diary, #2)
  • Paging Aphrodite
  • My Three Husbands
  • How to Sleep with a Movie Star
She's written twenty books (e.g., The Accidental Virgin and The Girlfriend Curse), and contributed to dozens of publications including the New York Times, Self, Allure, Glamour, Parenting and Good Housekeeping. Her memoir, Thin Is the New Happy, about overcoming bad body image after 30 years of dieting and self-loathing, was recently described as "Rueful, zestful and surprisingly funny," by the Ne ...more
More about Valerie Frankel...