Start by marking “All Is Bright: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
All Is Bright: A Short Story

All Is Bright: A Short Story

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  929 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
AN ORIGINAL SHORT STORY FROM THE ACCLAIMED AUTHOR OF THE NOVELS THE OPPOSITE OF ME AND THE UPCOMING SKIPPING A BEAT . . .

Thirty-year-old Elise Andrews couldn’t bring herself to marry Griffin, her childhood friend turned sweetheart, so she let him walk away. Eight months after their breakup, she arrives in her hometown of Chicago on Christmas Eve and hears a voice from the
Published (first published December 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about All Is Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Is Bright

Stephanie
Jan 15, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I obviously knew that it was a short story, but I didn’t anticipate how short it would be. Since “All is Bright” was just a few chapters, I am going to aim my review more at Sarah Pekkanen rather than her story. I am impressed how rich of a history and backdrop she could paint with so few words. Only a few pages in, I was pulled into the life of Elise, the main character. Elise exposes us to a rage of emotions that made me feel immediately sympathetic to her situations. A delightful and funny ca ...more
Bella
Jun 12, 2011 Bella rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I really enjoyed the writing style of this author and appreciated the short story format. I used to read short stories all the time in high school and college (English major), but in my adult life, I've gotten out of it. This story was perfectly done and made me want to read more from this author. I love that Kindle offers these little snippets for 99cents.
Caitlynn Day
Aug 12, 2014 Caitlynn Day rated it really liked it
This was an extremely short story, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I was feeling a little down and thought a quick read would help me feel better and this was perfect, even though this isn't the normal kind of thing I read. This short story made me smile and it was definitely a cute read.
Lauren (My Expanding Bookshelf)
I really enjoyed All Is Bright. It was truly a lovely little story to read. My only problem was that it was so short - it only took me around 20 minutes to read. I wanted to know more about Elise and her past with Griffin.

The premise of the story is very real. A woman returning to her home town to spend Christmas with her grandmother. Something everyone will probably experience at some point in their lives. Elise is just unfortunate enough to run into her ex boyfriends mum.

I absolutely loved Eli
LiteraryMarie
Dec 18, 2011 LiteraryMarie rated it really liked it
Elise and Griffin were a couple for fifteen years, but Elise just couldn't bring herself to marry Griffin. Eight months after the childhood sweethearts broke up, Elise visits her hometown of Chicago for Christmas. She runs into a familiar person in the grocery store: Griffin's mom, Janice. After being invited for an evening of eggnog, carols and food, Elise begins a walk down memory lane. It is filled with warm memories of Griffin, but mostly of Janice's motherly ways. Elise begins to wonder if ...more
Colleen Turner
Dec 24, 2011 Colleen Turner rated it it was amazing
I am usually not a huge fan of short stories but when I recently got a Kindle Fire and saw how many great authors have short stories to inexpensively download I thought I should give a few a try. When Sarah Pekkanen announced on Facebook that she would be giving away her new short story, Love, Accidentally, to her fans as a Thank You I was really excited. Since All Is Bright is a prequel of sorts to Love, Accidentally I thought I would go ahead and buy it and read it first. I am SO glad I did!

Th
Judy Collins
Jul 28, 2013 Judy Collins rated it it was amazing
I adore e-short stories! Sarah is a wonderful author (I just discovered with her new book “The Best of Us” (a 5 star), which I read first, so diving into reading her other previous books. (I usually start with new ones which pull me into the author and then start backwards).

Being in the online media world, front covers are a big draw as well as reading works of my favorite authors---especially with e-books, as the crisp colors are so appealing since you do not have the typical print front cover
Julie Barrett
Dec 14, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
All is Bright by Sarah Pekkanen
What first attracted me to this book is the cover with snow and a woman just sitting enjoying the quiet of the snow falling.
Have read and enjoyed Sarah's other works.
This one is about Elsie and she's home to tend to her grandmother because her father and his new wife are traveling and it's Christmas and she doesn't want her to be alone.
Griffin and her had dated many times over the years and when they broke up she was more sorry to end it with his mother than him.
Sh
Michaela
Dec 17, 2013 Michaela rated it it was amazing
All is Bright was an impulse download. It was free and Christmasy so I thought why not?. This was such a great little story! There where parts I read aloud to anyone who would listen because I liked them so much. Even though this is a short story, only a few chapters, I loved the characters! I felt for Elise and her situation, I can totally relate! I got a kick out of Nana and her friends and I may heart went out the sweet Janice. I can’t say too much about the story because it’s only a few cha ...more
May 11, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this SHORT story, it gave me plenty of insight to realize I enjoy Sarah Pekkanen's writing.

This is a short story. I read Love, Accidentally before I read this short story. This short story is from Elise's point of view. The two short stories can be read together. I liked reading this from Elise's point of view.

Important to me, after reading this short story, I know I enjoy Ms. Pekkanen's writing style and will happily read other books of hers.
Freda Labianca
Mar 29, 2015 Freda Labianca rated it really liked it
Bittersweet!
It ended way too soon for me. That is the bitter part. The rest was super sweet.
I like the characters, and have a feeling we are set up for the next book to be spectacular reading. You just know everything has to come together, though nothing but questions were raised in this one.
I feel like I can't wait for more, I just have to know if she stays or goes. Does she come back and get the guy or let him go?
Yup, I'm hooked.
Dragana
May 21, 2014 Dragana rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet, short read. Those grannies were funny.
God, I feel the love; family, friends.

And most importantly..I think I read this at the right time. I'm having a rough time as well and I am trying to figure everything out, just like the main character is. Although, who isn't right? But in this case it is the fase we have to go through when we reach that age.

Truly loved it.
Christina
Aug 19, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
I'm giving it three stars, not because I didn't like it, but because it barely felt like a story, even a short story which is what it's billed as. It definitely wetted my appetite to read more by this author, but reading this really felt like I had just read the Kindle sample freebie.
Ima Vee
May 29, 2015 Ima Vee rated it it was amazing
It is shorter that I expected and I actually found myself wanting more but the truth is, the lesson is already there in this very short story. The plot is totally relatable to everyone living away from home. A touching story of coming home, moving on and being hopeful.
Ilonita50
Sep 23, 2015 Ilonita50 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, romance
Jessica Gardner
Jun 22, 2015 Jessica Gardner rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit, romance
I really liked this "book," which was described as a short story. But what was really frustrating, was that it wasn't so much a short story but instead it read more like the first few chapters of a book. A great intro, but no middle or ending.
Nikki
Very enjoyable Christmas-themed story that was not your usual holiday romance. Well-written too, which is what I expected from this author. There is a companion story from another point of view that I'll have to read as well.
Jacque
Feb 07, 2011 Jacque rated it it was ok
This was a very, very short story - more of lure to get you to read two samples of her forthcoming book. Nonetheless, it was a nice little story, and I'm sold on reading her next book. So, mission accomplished, Ms. Pekkanen.
Jea Marie
Jul 18, 2015 Jea Marie rated it it was ok
Okay, let me start with this: Girl was oh so fine and has completely moved on at the start of the story. Later that day, she went to the boy's house, discovered he's engaged, so she hid in the bathroom, hugged her stomach or knee (I forgot) as if she has not moved on yet! srsly girl, you were the one who broke up with him because you didn't love him enough and now you're bursting in tears because he's engaged?
Characters had lots of emotions but their characteristics are just so plain and simple.
Meredith
Jan 09, 2011 Meredith rated it really liked it
Great short story. Wish it was a full book, left me wanting more.
Alarra
Jan 09, 2016 Alarra rated it it was ok
These are a pair of linked short stories from an author a friend recommended to me. I was completely underwhelmed by them - this first story felt incredibly unfinished, but as the second story (Love, Accidentally) continues it from a different POV I thought maybe it would resolve better. Nope! Maybe her novels - which are quite thick - have the chance to develop and flesh out her characters and plots, so I'll see if I can find a novel to give it a go before I pass final judgement on Pekkanen.
Kathrine
Dec 16, 2015 Kathrine rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluff, novella
That was...that was way too short. I wanted more. More Elise. More Griffin. More Janice. Especially more of Elise's grandmother and her group of widow friends. Delightful story with lots of character development which is impressive for so few pages. I'll have to check out the companion piece - Love, Accidentally - to this one and possibly other other books by Sarah Pekkanen (though the preview excerpt from The Best of Us that was included didn't impress me nearly as much. A bit too soapy chick l ...more
Kristel Villar
Oct 01, 2014 Kristel Villar rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2014, romantic
I gave this story 3 stars not because of the quality, but because of its length. I love the premise and I already expected it to be short, but I was surprised by how really, really short it was! When I reached the ending, it was like someone snatched a paperback from my hands. It would have been better if it was longer, because the connection I had with the characters was fleeting, like a stranger you met on transit. I enjoyed reading Nana and the her friends, though. Still a nice read for a fre ...more
Laura Dogsmom
Sep 18, 2015 Laura Dogsmom rated it really liked it
A very short story that will still make you think and feel.
We empathize immediately with Elise and fall in love with the Seven Widows of Windham.
Everyone wants a mother, or acting mother, like Janice.

While centered on a holiday, this is a lovely read any time of year.
Beautifully taught life lessons.
Hana Bilqisthi
Jul 31, 2014 Hana Bilqisthi rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
i am shocked jakarta and indonesia mentioned :D
i like the story because i can related to main charater

my fav quotes:
I wanted him to find someone else, partly because then I wouldn’t feel so guilty, but mostly because he deserves to. So why am I conflicted about it? What’s wrong with me?
Jenny
Dec 02, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elise returns to her hometown for a melacholy Christmas following a recent break up with a high school sweetheart. Emotions run high in this short story. I especially enjoyed Elise's Nana and her friends at the assisted living facility.
Lussita
Dec 16, 2015 Lussita rated it liked it
Un libro cortito sobre una anécdota navideña. Si bien me gustó la protagonista y el gesto que describe este cuento, no me causaron nada de gracia las viejitas del geriátrico!!
Angel **Book Junkie**
I have to agree with many of the other reviewers this book is so short I am having a hard time writing anything about it. While I cannot truly, rate the book because at 34% on my Kindle, it was complete and I was going in to other stories. Moral of the story is Elise and Griff high school lovers. Elise goes home visits nana and Griff’s mom Janice. Griff has excited new. Elise wonders if she should have stayed with Griff just to remain close to the mother. (I feel like I just copied the blurb). W ...more
Dinah
Aug 17, 2013 Dinah rated it it was ok
This short story was too short and as such, removes the element of empathy for the character Elise. The story ended too abruptly and did not answer the questions relating to her actions in Love, Accidentally (the previous short story). The character needed further development for me to care about her emotional being and situation. For instance, what happened to her parents? Why is she so attached to Griffin's mother? What happened when she left the restaurant for a drink with Isle in the first b ...more
Marianne Nicolas
Nov 04, 2015 Marianne Nicolas rated it it was amazing
“Grif was funny, handsome, and smart, and yet I never saw sparks or felt a burst of heat with him—I was always stuck somewhere in between.”

*heartbreak*
  • Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas
  • The Sneezing Christmas Tree
  • Angel Wings
  • Winter Warmers
  • A Spy for Christmas
  • The Christmas Catch (Holiday Brides #1)
  • Greatest Clicks: A Dog Photographer's Best Shots
  • The Deep and Snowy Wood (Christmas Picture Book)
  • Christmas in Venice: A Short Story
  • Beyond Downton Abbey
  • The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch
  • Emotion, Conflict and Back Story (Writing Active Setting #2)
  • The Half Life
  • Loveable Christmas Angel (Angels with Attitude, #3)
  • Christmas at High Rising
  • Squidge: Little Elf, Big Trouble
  • Duping Cupid
  • All I Have to Give: A Christmas Love Story
2982045
"Fans of Jennifer Weiner and Emily Giffin will strongly appreciate this rising star in women's fiction." - Library Journal.
Internationally bestselling author Sarah Pekkanen's newest book is THINGS YOU WON'T SAY (May 2015, Atria/Simon&Schuster). She is also the author of CATCHING AIR, THE BEST OF US, THE OPPOSITE OF ME, SKIPPING A BEAT, and THESE GIRLS. Sarah's linked free short estories, publi
More about Sarah Pekkanen...