Start by marking “Extinción (Refugio Libro, #1)” as Want to Read:
Extinción (Refugio Libro, #1)

Extinción (Refuge Shifters #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  651 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Profesor de Ciencias Ambientales y de la Naturaleza en la Universidad de Las Vegas, Jack McBain ha pasado su vida adulta siguiendo la pista a una leyenda inculcada desde su infancia. Nacido y criado en la provincia canadiense de Newfoundland, los abuelos de Jack le contaron historias de una raza erradicada por los colonos europeos en 1829. Según esta leyenda, el pueblo Beo ...more
Published December 21st 2010 by Silver Publishing (first published June 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Extinción, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extinción

JenMcJ
This is a little bit of a departure for Ms Lynne as it is paranormal and interesting in it's lexicon. Earth Mother and Father Sky as well as Gaurdians, Alpha's and King are part of the weaved lore and learning. They must work together to begin to unravel the story of the shifter packs and figure out how to save them. Magic abounds and changes everything once our heroes mate.

The shifters are losing to the hunters in a big way by the time circumstances and timing allow for them to try and band to
Erotic Horizon
Jack McBain, Professor of Environmental Science/Wildlife studies at UNLV has spent the better part of his adult life looking for a legend. On a less than spectacular weekend and quite by chance he gets his first break, after all these years.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, he pushes himself up the mountain and meets the most spectacular wolf – for him the search was all worth it, For the wolf it sets a chain of events in motion that might just cause him his life.

Another series for the
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Mar 26, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Deeze
Carol Lynne gave an interesting history into the shifters history , and a new take on the shifter not always being this huge, commanding, alpha top! And she even explained why he wasn't!
So this was the first on the series and introduced us to Toby, the wolf shifter and his special human mate.
A bunch of others were introduced and the beginning of the next book seemed to be at the end of this one.
Brenda (b)
I thought it was a quick and interesting read. It goes in a different direction from what I've read from Carol Lynne so far. I liked the history and explanation she gives for the existence of the shapeshifters. I look forward to the rest of the stories in this new series. If I recall correctly, I think there'll be 4 stories.
T.T. Kove
I started this book with high expectations. It had gotten good reviews, and it seemed to be another take on shifters. I'm sad to say, it didn't live up to expectations. I read the first couple of chapters, then started skimming the rest.

L-D
Jack McBain is a Professor that is researching the disappearance of a secret people that are believed to be wolf shifters. He has dedicated his life to his research and has been tracking down clues for years. At last Jack believes he has met one of the lost Beothuk people in wolf form, high in the mountains.

Toby, a shifter who has hidden in his wolf form for years, knows instantly that he has met his mate. Honestly, I have lost interest in the insta-love shifter-meets-mate genre. The first 500 s
Elisa Rolle
In the first book of the Refuge Shifters series, Carol Lynne sets the basis for the development of the entire story. She borrows the ancient legends that see shifters as favourite sons of Mother Nature and descendants of the old Native Americans; she also continues in the myth that homosexuals are the favourites among the favourites since Mother Nature gave them two spirits, so to be able to understand the needs of their people. The consequence is that, having more female genes than a normal man ...more
Nancy L
interesting story line - makes me really want to find out more of the back story now. Even tho these two were in love like in 15 seconds, I understand that's how everyone perceives "mates" to happen so I'm ok with it. I like the new and different way that "alphas" are in this series - where they share the Alpha rank with each other, each with a different way of using that status.
Shannon
This one started out interesting enough but since it's the first in the series there was a lot of explaining which, for me, took away from this couple's story. There were a lot of elements at play..we had Earth Mother, Father Sky, different shifter breeds, the Hunters, old journals, asshole brothers etc. Just didn't do anything for me.
Jacqueline
Cute story, nice chemistry. Just a bit unfinished 3 stars strong!
Serehtt

Kaseka
The beginning was promising enough that I bought the ebook and read it almost immediately. As the story progressed, however, the writing seemed a bit weak--there was too much exposition and stating of the obvious for my taste. Also, I think overuse of fate/destiny undercut the main characters' agency, to the point where outside events would fix their problems almost entirely, or the stepping in they actually did to overcome obstacles required leaps in their established personalities, which, whil ...more
Shell
Bookwatcher
sooooooo confusing, great start but the rush to tell the story was unnecessary, and I would appreciate a warning because I DON'T READ twincest or brothercest.

Toni (U.A.C.)
So, two main characters Jack who is a Professor (I'd have to go back but I think he's thirty-ish) and Toby his destined mate/shifter are on this journey to save all of the shifters from the Hunters, a cursed group of shifters cursed from being able to use their powers to shift.

My beef is that Toby even though he was born in freaking 1914 and 95 years old comes across as a baby. It's just a bit creepy pedobear feeling and I don't like it. The author has made him too immature for it to feel very c
Wendy Ann
There were definitely some interesting twists in this shifter/mate story and the start of a new series. For example, the shifter (Toby) is the less Alpha of the pair and his human mate (Jack) actually grows stronger after the mating. I enjoyed the back story of how the shifters came to be. As expected, the story moves pretty quickly and sets a lot of foundation for the next book in the lineup, so reading in order is important. I was not entirely enamored with the first meeting between these guys ...more
Jaime
(full review at dark Divas: http://ddrreviews.blogspot.com/2010/0...)

Fast, fast, fast. That's my overwhelming first and strongest impression of this book.

I've noticed that Ms. Lynne's characters fall to side of indestructible. It's comforting to know all will be well, but I never felt any real threat to any of them, despite the disasters that happened around them.
All in all, I loved the premise, really liked the quick read and smooth flow, but just, somehow, wish there could have been more of e
~~~Heather S.~~~
Not sure how to review this one! Well, it was different, which isn't a bad thing, and I liked the premise. There were lots of aww cute moments and Toby was just the sweetest little wolf, I could just squeeze him! And Jack McBain, my fellow environmental scientist, took his rather hefty role with stride, having no problem protecting and loving his mate.

But the writing seemed choppy to me and I had a hard time following who was talking/thinking. This is my first exposure to Lynne's writing, so I'
Tangerine_haze
This book left me wanting. The premise was unique and I liked the direction the book was heading. I felt like all the pieces of a good story were there, but the connection between the characters was lacking. Everything seemed rushed. Hero finds long lost shifter, they screw, the prophecy is fulfilled. The sex came across as more like duty than desire. The rest of the book is a series of scenes that happen in quick succession without giving the reader a feeling of connection to the characters. I' ...more
Joleen
Oct 20, 2014 Joleen marked it as tr-mm  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, series, shifter
$1.99 at ARe and Amazon US, 10-20-14
TracyG.
This series is different, I have enjoyed book one
Jaykumar
i have been fascinated by the Native American culture which is so Pagan and extremely intriguing especially, the logic which is almost instinctual in all shifter stories.

Lynnne has written some real good work prior this but i think i have liked this one more because of the historical context with the modern life mingled within a single thread that makes it a good experience for the reader, the sex is just the cherry on the cake.
Mara Ismine
A complex world building story that felt rushed. It should either have been several thousand words longer or have left out some of the sub-plots and developed what was there in more depth. I would have given it four stars but the errors that had been missed in editing dragged the story down for me - no publisher should ignore the misuse of your/you're as often as it occured in this.
Holly
I enjoyed this read. We got some back ground on Toby and Jack, but also got to know some about two of the characters in the next book. I look forward to more and I'm curious to see what happens with the Shifters and Hunters next.
Carolyn88
I truely enjoyed the book. The first book does not give you enough to go on. It did give me enough that I want to read on. I have already down loaded books 2-4.
Jess
I enjoyed it, I actually read it ages ago but had forgotten parts. I am pretty sure I own the others so time to go digging through files dammit.
 ♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥
This book was way different than I had thought it would be. I can't wait to see where the storyline and series goes from here.
Debbie
I really liked this book. I will definitely be looking at getting the rest of the books in the series
  • Ethan's Freedom (Portals, #1)
  • Midnight Howl (Hoosier Werewolf, #1)
  • An Unnatural Worth
  • Marrick's Promise (Thrown to the Lions, #2)
  • Betrayed (Cursed #2)
  • The Cat’s Meow  (Assassin's Pride, #1)
  • Lone
  • Nick of Time (Preters, #2)
  • Hunter's Moon (Moon, #2)
  • With Love (With or Without, #0.5)
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
  • Primal Passions (Lost Shifters, #1)
  • Bound By Nature (Forces of Nature, #1)
  • Tail of Two Brothers (Horsfall, #1)

erotic & gay romances
More about Carol Lynne...
All Play and No Work (Cattle Valley, #1) Sweet Topping (Cattle Valley, #3) Bad Boy Cowboy (Cattle Valley, #7) Rough Ride (Cattle Valley, #4) Coach (Campus Cravings, #1)