Rules of Engagement

Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding #11)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Published February 7th 2006 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published March 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rules of Engagement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules of Engagement

LJ
RULES OF ENGAGEMENT (Amateur Sleuth-London-1700s) – VG
Alexander, Bruce – 11th, and final, book
Putnam, 2005- Hardcover
Sir John Fielding and Jeremy Procter look into the sudden death of Lord Lammermoor, a member of the House of Lords. Lammermoor was walking across Westminster Bridge when he suddenly goes to the edge, and throws himself over in an apparent suicide. Or is it? Questions arise and the pair is interested to learn that Lady Lammermoor is a patron of Dr. Goldworthy, a practitioner of ani...more
Spuddie
This is the final Sir John Fielding historical mystery in which the subject of hypnotism and "Mesmerism" is investigated as a means to murder, when a member of Parliament jumps from Westminster Bridge into the Thames in front of a dozen witnesses, one of them being Annie Oakum, former cook of the Fielding household. It was obvious that the man jumped himself--no one pushed him--and it was known that he could not swim, but why would he jump?

The mystery itself wasn't much of a mystery in this one...more
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
I never loved this historical mystery series, but I did like it. In this, the final volume due to the author's death, the book was completed by other hands--and it shows. The ending becomes quite slap dash with trying to crowd in everyone of importance who's shown up in the series and, of all things, a "wagon" chase. It's the 1760s so we can't have a car chase.

Some people seem to think this was a satisfying conclusion to the series, but I just found it sad and second-rate.
Tiger
Sad to realize this is the eleventh and final book in the series. In his final case, blind London judge Sir John Fielding, and his trusted sidekick Jeremy Proctor, investigate the supposed suicide of the Fielding's old friend, Lord Francis Lammermoor.
The story line is fabulous as Jeremy is a sort of Watson looking back from near the end of the century writing about his salad days as a clerk sleuthing for his employer and mentor. Sir John and Jeremy remain true to their personalities from previo...more
Dorothy
After Bruce Alexander's untimely death, his wife and author John Shannon finished getting this book, which was virtually complete, ready for publication. Their additions to the text are generally in parentheses. It is a worthy successor to all the other books in the series, but, very sadly, it is the last. We will never know more of the adventures of the humane blind magistrate and his young assistant Jeremy, now grown to manhood at least by 18th century standards.
Jacqueline
extra 1/2 star.

Last in the series. Probably not as good as the rest of the series due to the fact that the author died before finishing and left notes for another author to complete the novel. You can sort of tell where things start to feel different.

I started to read this book and then I misplaced it for about half a year. Turns out that it fell in between the sofa cushions.
Dennis Fischman
I know I have read something else in this series, and enjoyed it more. The characters are lightly sketched in, depending on the reader to be familiar with them already. The narrator is like Watson to the detective's Holmes, only not as consistent a voice. The series is probably worthwhile for fans of Sherlock Holmes-style mysteries, but start at the beginning.
Rhonda
really liked this one - unfortunately the last one, but ended the series on a good note. i would have loved to see what happened after jeremy was married and how he continued to mature and grow in his learning of the law. it was also 1775 at the end and it would have been interesting to see how things changed after 1776 - a big year, politically.
Susan
The suicide of a lord happens at the same time a hypnotism specialist arrives in London--a man patronized by the lord's beautiful wife. It's a coincidence the blind Sir John Fielding can't fail to notice. Older language might put some off, and some of the plot was pretty predictable, but a good clean listen nonetheless.
Adrienne
Predictable ending, but overall a good story.
Guna
Another Sir John Fielding mystery - Jeremy is older now, and is confronted with a series of bizarre deaths in London. Mesmer's new theory of 'animal magnetism' and hypnotism are discussed here, and have something to do with the mystery.
Linda Puente
This was a great series. Not only were the mysteries entertaining, but they were historically
accurate and made that period of British history come alive. I'm saddened that through Alexander's death the series has ended.
S Dizzy
This story started out ok, but got worse as it went along. Like many of the other reviews, it shows that Mr. Alexander did NOT finish this story. I threw this book in the garbage...shows how disappointing it was.
Julie
Left unrated because I couldn't interest myself in the book long enough to finish it. I think in a different mood it would have been fine, but I didn't have the time to wait since it was a library book.
Donna
Maybe a 3.5. This is the last of the series, and I am sad to see it end. This last one was completed and published after Alexander died--thus the 3.5. But still worth reading to finish out the series.
RS Fuster
I have enjoyed every book of the Sir John Fielding series". There an other book about Sir Fielding and the The Bank Street Runners that I've been seeking but haven't found yet.
Eldra
I recommend this to all my AP students because it would give them practice in 18-19th century prose. It's an interesting story and the details are interesting.
Janice
This one was a little too predictable! But I have loved the series and I am really sad to see it end. There need to be more Sir John Fielding's in this world!
Gary
Meh, disappointing end to the series. maybe unavoidable since the auther died while writing the book and his wife had to complete the story
Belinda
I just discovered this series. It is clean with very likable characters. A good escape.
Joe
See my review of the initial novel in the series, Blind Justice.
Jackie
Victorian court with blind magistrate - murder
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, london
London Mystery; Westminster bridge
Laura Cowan
Laura Cowan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
B
B marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • To Kingdom Come (Barker & Llewelyn, #2)
  • Unnatural Fire (Countess Ashby de La Zouche, #1)
  • Folly Du Jour (Joe Sandilands, #7)
  • Die Upon a Kiss (Benjamin January, #5)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder on the Brighton Express (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #5)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • The Devil in Music (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #4)
  • The Thief-Taker: Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
  • The Sudbury School Murders (Captain Lacey, #4)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.
More about Bruce Alexander...
Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1) Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2) Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4) Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3) Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)