Start by marking “Communicating Design: Developing Web Site Documentation for Design and Planning” as Want to Read:
Communicating Design: Developing Web Site Documentation for Design and Planning

Communicating Design: Developing Web Site Documentation for Design and Planning

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  620 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Most discussion about Web design seems to focus on the creative process, yet turning concept into reality requires a strong set of deliverables--the documentation (concept model, site maps, usability reports, and more) that serves as the primary communication tool between designers and customers. The only guide devoted to just that topic is now bigger and better.
Combinin
ebook, Second Edition, 311 pages
Published September 15th 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Communicating Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Communicating Design

Pravat
Writing style is complex in which I find it little boring and hard to understand..I have to push myself to stay focused!
Jennifer Schooley
Good advice and examples for creating documentation, but much of it seemed extraneously wordy.
Tami
Very good information. But wordy and complex. Wonder if use of color would make easier to engage
Kara
Feb 05, 2012 Kara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ia
I am a freelance information architect (sometimes called user experience designer or user interface design) who subcontracts to large ad agencies for the design portion of web site creation, usually large-scale b2b and b2c sites. I am fortunate in that I am often exposed to different approaches and uses of design deliverables, but unfortunate in that everyone seems to do it a little differently. I hoped this book -- recommended by a colleague in a different state -- could help standardize my out ...more
Brian
This book has some helpful sections, but altogether I did not find it very useful. The author presents a lengthy and detailed description of how to present Information Architecture project deliverables to clients, but it seemed there were few opportunities for flexibility in the process he describes. If you follow this model, you might end up creating deliverables that look and function like everyone else's. Maybe that kind of consistency is needed. You may decide for yourself.

This is a minor po
Dave Emmett
This is the first textbook that I’ve finished reading this year; it was assigned for my Interactive Information Design class. What I really like about it is the way it breaks down all the types of documents it discusses (things like content audits, wireframes, personas, all that good stuff) into three layers of information. So you get a good sense of what actually goes into making any of these documents at a basic level, but also at a deeper level if it’s required for your projects.

The other thi
Tod
Mar 09, 2008 Tod rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultancy artists who want to call themselves web developers
Recommended to Tod by: Amazon. The bastards.
This is the least useful book ever written related to the topic of web development. I got mine at a discount price, used, and I still feel cheated. If you're looking for any conceptual tools, flexible frameworks, taxonomical systems, immediately-applicable forms or practical structures for brainstorming and project management, you won't find them here. What you will find is a stream-of-consciousness of what-if scenarios, and tons of illustrations resembling abstract art more than anything else. ...more
Lan
The art of user experience design is so much in communicating the thinking behind. A great book to help you refine your craft
This one is for those with at least some experience in the web development field. It gets more technical. Lots of detail and personal experience tips from the author.

The author is a geek who loves comics and uses them in example and analogies throughout the book, which I thought I'd find endearing (I like them too), but instead, it was just kind of annoying.
Murray
If you need to present ideas on a web site to others, this is your book. Covers the processes of creating web-related documents in a comprehensive manner. It's focused on the documents, but also lets you know how to approach them, what to watch out for, how they work with each other, and how they fit into the processes of developing and designing a website. It covers each document in a similar way and from a layered approach, rather than a 'always do it this way' style. It's easy to read, but th ...more
Peter
I read this book mostly for the last section of the book on Design (truthfully, I skipped the first two sections). I was specifically interested in Site Maps and Wireframes. The info was light, and didn't talk as much about the process of creating the maps/wireframes as I would have liked, and when it did, I sorta disagreed with the approach.

I think the biggest disconnect for me was that the book felt like it was focused on being used in a waterfall-based environment, and I lean more towards agi
John
Went through the first 2/3 of the book in an hour. Nothing new for me, but a concise path through documentation of usability and strategy. Slowed down and read through last third on design of site including flow charts and wireframes. I like these chapters better than other books I've read on flow charts.
Fritz Desir
Excellent book on a too overlooked subject. Read some time ago but still have it very much dog-eared on my desk. If you didn't the 2nd edition is out, have it can't wait to dog-ear it! Kudos @brownorama (Dan Brown, the author)
Michelle
Like so many introductory level books, I wish I'd read it sooner. Nevertheless if you're just starting out in UX design, this will walk you through all the deliverables you're likely to create (or encounter) in your work.
Michael Ryan
good book. useful stuff about personas, segmentation and usability reports and things. for smaller websites you could slip some of these things to v2 if you are coming under time pressure. that could be useful.
Ej Yoo
한국어로 번역된 책의 이름은 'UX Design communication'이다.
이 책을 번역한 사람이 실무에서 활동중인 분들 이기에 이 책은 실제로 웹디자인을 행하는 실무중심의 디자이너에게 체계적 지식을 제공해 주고있는것 같다. 특히 디자이너의 취약점인 기획을 하고 체계적인 방법을 적용하며 최종 결과를 커뮤니케이션하는 문서작성을 매우 구체적으로 보여주고 있다.
Scurry
A great resource for both seasoned and novice designers. A lot of tips and examples of good business practice to aid the designer in communicating effectively and maintaining good project management.
Lana
The most useful ideas I got from this book were: how to effectively involve stakeholders in the design process, and how to successfully facilitate review meetings.
Chas
Only skimmed myself but good if you have content (or other non technical) people whom you need to train to manage web projects. Good, clear entry-level stuff ..
Travis
Thourough and solid overview of website design documentation - with excellent heads up on presenting and leading meetings to review said documentation.
Chiel
Good explanation of the design deliverables in a design proces. I must say I would've liked some better life examples..
becky bristol
dan brown illustrates the need for good web design in a format that is easy to follow and mimic.
Cameron Stewart
Loved it, much better then version 1. Links to lots of templates etc.
Mykhaylo
Good example of how the precise tech book should be written.
Sara S.
Very practical reference for documenting web development deliverables
Daniel
Mar 14, 2011 Daniel is currently reading it
Peguei da Talk hoje, para fazer um job sobre planejamento.
Tracie
great reference book for anyone working on the web.
Tikva
recommended by Jennifer Bove. Learn to wire frame ++
lindn
One of my most favorite UX reference books.
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals The Design Team Survival Guide: Cultivating Collaboration and Managing Conflict on Creative Projects