Start by marking “Communicating Design: Developing Web Site Documentation for Design and Planning” as Want to Read:
Communicating Design: Developing Web Site Documentation for Design and Planning

Communicating Design: Developing Web Site Documentation for Design and Planning

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  809 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Successful web design teams depend on clear communication between developers and their clients--and among members of the development team. Wireframes, site maps, flow charts, and other design diagrams establish a common language so designers and project teams can capture ideas, track progress, and keep their stakeholders informed. In this all new edition of "Communicating ...more
ebook, Second Edition, 311 pages
Published September 15th 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Communicating Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Communicating Design

Kara
Feb 05, 2012 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ia
I am a freelance information architect (sometimes called user experience designer or user interface design) who subcontracts to large ad agencies for the design portion of web site creation, usually large-scale b2b and b2c sites. I am fortunate in that I am often exposed to different approaches and uses of design deliverables, but unfortunate in that everyone seems to do it a little differently. I hoped this book -- recommended by a colleague in a different state -- could help standardize my out ...more
JanSru
This is an essential cookbook on creating and presenting UX deliverables.
Pravat
Aug 21, 2012 Pravat rated it it was ok
Writing style is complex in which I find it little boring and hard to understand..I have to push myself to stay focused!
Jennifer Schooley
Sep 01, 2012 Jennifer Schooley rated it liked it
Good advice and examples for creating documentation, but much of it seemed extraneously wordy.
Tami
Mar 03, 2013 Tami rated it liked it
Very good information. But wordy and complex. Wonder if use of color would make easier to engage
Brian
This book has some helpful sections, but altogether I did not find it very useful. The author presents a lengthy and detailed description of how to present Information Architecture project deliverables to clients, but it seemed there were few opportunities for flexibility in the process he describes. If you follow this model, you might end up creating deliverables that look and function like everyone else's. Maybe that kind of consistency is needed. You may decide for yourself.

This is a minor po
Dave Emmett
Apr 20, 2010 Dave Emmett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first textbook that I’ve finished reading this year; it was assigned for my Interactive Information Design class. What I really like about it is the way it breaks down all the types of documents it discusses (things like content audits, wireframes, personas, all that good stuff) into three layers of information. So you get a good sense of what actually goes into making any of these documents at a basic level, but also at a deeper level if it’s required for your projects.

The other thi
Tod
Mar 09, 2008 Tod rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultancy artists who want to call themselves web developers
Recommended to Tod by: Amazon. The bastards.
This is the least useful book ever written related to the topic of web development. I got mine at a discount price, used, and I still feel cheated. If you're looking for any conceptual tools, flexible frameworks, taxonomical systems, immediately-applicable forms or practical structures for brainstorming and project management, you won't find them here. What you will find is a stream-of-consciousness of what-if scenarios, and tons of illustrations resembling abstract art more than anything else. ...more
Lan
Jun 05, 2014 Lan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The art of user experience design is so much in communicating the thinking behind. A great book to help you refine your craft
Jul 10, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one is for those with at least some experience in the web development field. It gets more technical. Lots of detail and personal experience tips from the author.

The author is a geek who loves comics and uses them in example and analogies throughout the book, which I thought I'd find endearing (I like them too), but instead, it was just kind of annoying.
Murray
If you need to present ideas on a web site to others, this is your book. Covers the processes of creating web-related documents in a comprehensive manner. It's focused on the documents, but also lets you know how to approach them, what to watch out for, how they work with each other, and how they fit into the processes of developing and designing a website. It covers each document in a similar way and from a layered approach, rather than a 'always do it this way' style. It's easy to read, but th ...more
Peter
Jun 24, 2010 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book mostly for the last section of the book on Design (truthfully, I skipped the first two sections). I was specifically interested in Site Maps and Wireframes. The info was light, and didn't talk as much about the process of creating the maps/wireframes as I would have liked, and when it did, I sorta disagreed with the approach.

I think the biggest disconnect for me was that the book felt like it was focused on being used in a waterfall-based environment, and I lean more towards agi
Matt
Mar 06, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'd be forgiven for thinking that this book would go out of date very quickly - but I still find it useful. It's well written and full of neat ways of doing things. It's perhaps lacking Lean UX thinking (which seems all the rage these days) and responsive documentation, but the base principals are there for lot of concepts.
John
Went through the first 2/3 of the book in an hour. Nothing new for me, but a concise path through documentation of usability and strategy. Slowed down and read through last third on design of site including flow charts and wireframes. I like these chapters better than other books I've read on flow charts.
Fritz Desir
Oct 05, 2010 Fritz Desir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on a too overlooked subject. Read some time ago but still have it very much dog-eared on my desk. If you didn't the 2nd edition is out, have it can't wait to dog-ear it! Kudos @brownorama (Dan Brown, the author)
Michelle
Nov 06, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like so many introductory level books, I wish I'd read it sooner. Nevertheless if you're just starting out in UX design, this will walk you through all the deliverables you're likely to create (or encounter) in your work.
Michael Ryan
good book. useful stuff about personas, segmentation and usability reports and things. for smaller websites you could slip some of these things to v2 if you are coming under time pressure. that could be useful.
Ej Yoo
Oct 27, 2013 Ej Yoo rated it really liked it
한국어로 번역된 책의 이름은 'UX Design communication'이다.
이 책을 번역한 사람이 실무에서 활동중인 분들 이기에 이 책은 실제로 웹디자인을 행하는 실무중심의 디자이너에게 체계적 지식을 제공해 주고있는것 같다. 특히 디자이너의 취약점인 기획을 하고 체계적인 방법을 적용하며 최종 결과를 커뮤니케이션하는 문서작성을 매우 구체적으로 보여주고 있다.
Scurry
May 01, 2013 Scurry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great resource for both seasoned and novice designers. A lot of tips and examples of good business practice to aid the designer in communicating effectively and maintaining good project management.
Lana
Dec 30, 2009 Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
The most useful ideas I got from this book were: how to effectively involve stakeholders in the design process, and how to successfully facilitate review meetings.
Chas
Aug 02, 2012 Chas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only skimmed myself but good if you have content (or other non technical) people whom you need to train to manage web projects. Good, clear entry-level stuff ..
Travis
Jul 21, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thourough and solid overview of website design documentation - with excellent heads up on presenting and leading meetings to review said documentation.
Chiel
Sep 21, 2009 Chiel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study, design, cmd
Good explanation of the design deliverables in a design proces. I must say I would've liked some better life examples..
joke
Jun 22, 2016 joke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book when i read this description i reali love that
is stranger but perfect for me
becky bristol
Mar 07, 2008 becky bristol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dan brown illustrates the need for good web design in a format that is easy to follow and mimic.
Cameron Stewart
May 09, 2011 Cameron Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-design
Loved it, much better then version 1. Links to lots of templates etc.
Mykhaylo
Sep 21, 2014 Mykhaylo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good example of how the precise tech book should be written.
Sara S.
Apr 08, 2008 Sara S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practical reference for documenting web development deliverables
Daniel
Mar 14, 2011 Daniel is currently reading it
Peguei da Talk hoje, para fazer um job sobre planejamento.
Tracie
great reference book for anyone working on the web.
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Designing for the Social Web
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »