Start by marking “The Best Russian Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Best Russian Short Stories

The Best Russian Short Stories

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  32 reviews
1917. A selection of works by the following Russian authors: A. S. Pushkin, The Queen of Spades; N.V. Gogol, The Cloak; I.S. Turgenev, The District Doctor; F.M. Dostoyevsky, The Christmas Tree and the Wedding; L.N. Tolstoy, God Sees the Truth, but Waits; M.Y. Saltykov, How A Muzhik Fed Two Officials; V.G. Korolenko, the Shades, a Phantasy; V.N. Garshin, The Signal; A.P. Ch ...more
Published September 10th 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1925)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Russian Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Russian Short Stories

Lamski Kikita
Indeed these are some of the very best short stories from Russian literature, which I have loved since I was a little girl. Gogol with his wittiness, Chekhov with his brutal satires, and Gorky's beautiful descriptions; it just does not get any better.

I will admit that loving the Russian novel is rather difficult, for it is a commitment that many are not willing to make; you enter into a contract to learn of excruciating detail of each character; some that are of great significance, and some tha
Nickolas
This book has been the start for my latest infatuation of collections of short stories. I’ve wanted to read Tolstoy but, like most, have been completely intimidated by size of his novels, however Anna Karenina, and War and Peace have been on my to read list since I was in High School. I thought this would be a good introduction to Russian literature and I was definitely right. I find classic Russian writing deliciously grim and depressing at times and after reading the stories with the aid of th ...more
El
Jun 05, 2009 El rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to El by: Josiah - by picking it up off a library shelf at random. Good c
Here are 20 of the best Russian short stories, from Pushkin to Bunin. I was finally able to check off some of the stories I've always meant to read but for one reason or another had never actually had a chance to spend time with, like Pushkin's "The Queen of Spades" or Gogol's "The Cloak". I knew the stories going into them, but having not read them previously I was excited by just how poetic they were. Being the first two stories in the collection I knew I had found a great collection. Some aut ...more
Trang Le
I've always been fascinated by short stories, and this anthology reinforces my love for this genre even more. I can't think of a short story in this collection that I don't like, except for Dostoevsky's, but I've never been impressed by his dry writing style. Normally "best" is a bit presumptuous, but I don't think the short stories here can get any better, from Gogol's wittiness, Chekhov's wicked satire, Gorky's supreme talent for narrative, Turgenev's humanity to other talented writers I don't ...more
Leslie
A mixed collection - I really enjoyed Gogol's "The Cloak", Saltykov's "How a Muzhik Fed Two Officials", and Korolenko's "The Shades, a Phantasy" but disliked Andreyev's "Lazarus" and Artzybashev's "The Revolutionist". The others fell in between. This collection did give me a good sampling of classic Russian authors, including several I had never heard of before.
Colin Rush
While the stories are very good, there must be something lost in translation, as they are often dry and rambling. Also, this is not a happy book. These stories range from sad irony to outright depressing. Not that it is a bad thing, but don't read this expecting happy endings.
Karen Chung
If you are intrigued by Russian literature but don't know where to start, you need look no further. This collection is true to its name and indeed includes many exquisite shorter works. Excellent introduction to help orient you before you start. Highly recommended.
Kseniya Melnik
I got my copy from a used bookstore in Homer, Alaska; it's from 1925 (the Modern Library). The original copyright is by Boni & Liveright, Inc., from 1917. The introduction by Seltzer is great, and so is the selection of stories. Leonid Andreyev's "The Red Laugh" is mind-blowing. And-not least importantly-the book has that great old book smell! Love it.
Suzanne Auckerman
Downloaded this book from Gutenberg Press--that such a great site. While I had read many of these stories before, they were so much more meaningful after being there, seeing their museums, the monuments, churches and parks. The Russian people endure. They love their country, but their expectations for personal happiness are low. They enjoy the good times and know they will have to endure the bad. Several times I heard people say we know the low oil price will hurt the economy as well as the econ ...more
Abby
Nov 16, 2012 Abby added it
"Best" is a bit presumptuous, I'd say, but these are certainly all fantastic stories.

I've heard tell of the fundamental depression in the Russian author's psyche, but I don't find it so oppressive. They just go straight to the heart of the matter and ask, "Why?" At the close of the Russian imperial period, they had several good reasons to wonder what the hell the world had come to.

Favorites are hard to choose, but I found "Lazarus" the most fascinating, "Queen of Spades" the most amusing, "Vank
Santanu Dutta
Its a superb compilation of good classic Russian literature short stories and short novels. I already have put reviews on three that I read as small books. The Overcoat, The Queen Of Spades, and Christmas Tree and a Wedding. This collection bears stories even surpassing the styles and humanity as,we see in Queen if Spades and Christmas Tree.
I should define my best fav sequence as under.
1. Hide and Seek by Sologub 5x
2. The Darling by Chekhov 5x
3. One Autumn Night by Gorky 5x
4. Her lover by Gorky
Saima
A beautiful collection from the best Russian writers. The stories I enjoyed the most were:
"The Queen of Spades" by Pushkin
"The Bet" by Anton Chekhov
"Dethroned" by Ignatii Potapenko
"Her Lover" by Maxim Gorky
Mary Mcclain
This was a really interesting collection of Russian short stories... but read the preface first so you understand why they were selected to show how both literature and the Russian society progressed over this time period. Understanding the context made a big difference to me. Sort of a mini-class on Russian lit.
JoAnn
My favorites were "The Queen of Spades" by Pushkin; "The Cloak" by Gogol; "The Christmas Tree and the Wedding" by Dostoyevsky; "The Signal" by Garshin; "Hide and Seek" by Sologub; "The Bet" by Anton Chekhov; "Dethroned" by Ignatii Potapenko; and "Her Lover" by Maxim Gorky.
Jackie
Interesting collection of stories. The main themes appear to be death, illness, greed, simplicity, and naivety. Russian storytelling is not exactly cheerful, and at times the reader's spirit feels as cold as a Siberian winter once she reaches the end of a story.
Dan
This was a very interesting set of stories. All set in a different culture and a different time, but humans are always humans. The Cloak by Gogol was my favorite of the bunch.
Simon
A nice insight into Russian short stories, some really excellent, some terrible unfortunately.
Of course in most anthologies there are some stories you don't like, but there were too many in here and some of them not only boring but of terrible writing style even. With my method of skipping stories if they aren't interesting after a couple pages this was manageable though. Unfortunately i forced myself to read through the first one, which made me suffer quite a bit.

The excellent stories by Chekho
Steve
Further review to follow....but basically, started reading this after I finished Dead Souls. From the reviews I'd heard talk about The Nose and The Overcoat/The Cloak, two of Gogol's better known short stories. I picked up both on Project Gutenberg. The later was part of this compilation. When I finished the Cloak, which I enjoyed immensely, I decided to dive into the others. I had been reading Tristram Shandy as my, er, bathroom book at the office. I wasn't really feeling it, so figured I'd giv ...more
jim copley
Exciting and informative

All the stories are well written. Seeing the subjects from a different society shed a slightly different light on them.
Rajeev
Great samples from the works of Gorky, Chekov, dostoyevsky and tolstoy
Michael
A great collection and probably a good place to start if you want to try out Russian Literature. It has all the usual suspects like Pushkin, Gogol, Gorky, Chekhov, Tolstoy, and Dostoyevsky. I just want to give extra attention to two stories: "The Shades" by Vladimir Korolenko and "Lazarus" by Leonid Andreyev. I had never heard of these authors and both of these stories are amazing. Seriously try to read them if you have the chance.
Jrobertus
This is a collection of stories by superb writers, Pushkin,Gogol,Turgenov, Tolsoy, Dostoyevsky etc etc. I like the style of all these writers, who seem very contemporary. They tend to write with force and without flowery phrases. The only problem is they tend to be downers, and I can only take so much weight.
Magdalena Parker
Simply fantastic. A little different from Western Lit but lovely. Endings are abrupt and unpolished and very realistic, there aren't always happy endings and many times the story does not end at all, yet you don't feel cheated. Takes some getting used to but I strongly recommend.
Flora
A good series stories by luminaries like Pushkin, Gogl, Turgenev, dostoyevsky, Tolstoy and more. I now understand the innate sadness of the Russian people. It is written in their stories and etched in their faces.
Elaine
I love Russian writing. These were all great (except Tolstoy, not a fan), depressing with a hint of humor. Or was it humorous with a hint of depression?
Leon
A fabulous inspiring collection of short stories that has piqued my interest in Russian literature.
Meghna
Read the first one The Queen Of Spades. Really liked it.
On the second one.
sage
"Dethroned" and "Lazarus" are really good. The others vary wildly in quality.
Shelley
Great collection of short stories. Very quick and easy to read.
Catching up on Cl...: Buddy Read - The Best Russian Short Stories 11 41 May 09, 2014 03:16AM
  • Sanin: A Novel
  • The Power of Darkness
  • The Duel and Other Stories
  • The Captain's Daughter and Other Stories (Vintage Classics)
  • The History Of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire (Volume V)
  • Pallister Novels - 6 Novels Boxed Set
  • Famous Modern Ghost Stories
  • The Best American Humorous Short Stories
  • The Magic Furnace: The Search for the Origins of Atoms
  • The Road: Stories, Journalism, and Essays
  • The House of Pride and Other Tales of Hawaii
  • Diary of a Superfluous Man
  • The Night Horseman
  • The Short Stories of Charles Dickens (The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written)
  • Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant
  • The Golovlyov Family
Best Russian Short Stories : The Uncensored Edition Embers of a Revolution The Spy Best Russian Short Stories: The Best of Russian Literature Russia's Best Short Stories (Illustrated)

“I must nevertheless point out that our profession very closely approaches the idea of that which is called art. Into it enter all the elements which go to form art—vocation, inspiration, fantasy, inventiveness, ambition, and a long and arduous apprenticeship to the science.” 0 likes
“Finally, gentlemen, there are people with an hereditary animus against private property. You may call this phenomenon degeneracy. But I tell you that you cannot entice a true thief, and thief by vocation, into the prose of honest vegetation by any gingerbread reward, or by the offer of a secure position, or by the gift of money, or by a woman's love: because there is here a permanent beauty of risk, a fascinating abyss of danger, the delightful sinking of the heart, the impetuous pulsation of life, the ecstasy!” 0 likes