Start by marking “Eating in the Raw: A Beginner's Guide to Getting Slimmer, Feeling Healthier, and Looking Younger the Raw-Food Way” as Want to Read:

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Ten years ago, Carol Alt was feeling bad. Really bad. She had chronic headaches, sinusitis, and stomach ailments; she was tired and listless. And then Carol started eating raw—and changed her life. Eating in the Raw begins with her story and then presents practical, how-to information on everything you need to know about the exciting movement that’s been embraced by Demi M ...more
Published October 27th 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published December 21st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Eating in the Raw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating in the Raw

Tasha
A great starter to raw eating! I have been eating mostly raw now for a several months and have read a lot into this new area (for me) and I have to say this book gave me lots of new info! I have to admit that I was distracted by the fact that a supermodel wrote this and admit to being pleasantly surprised at the info I came away with from this little gem. I have yet to try the recipes but I plan on it! I will warn you though after reading this you might not want to go back to cooked foods ever a ...more
Terry Laster
Even though some raw foodists would call author Carol Alt a heretic, because she eats raw milk, eggs, fish and sometimes even raw meat as well as raw veggies and fruit. I found this book to be the most sensible book on the subject of eating raw that I've ever read, because I have in the past eaten raw vegan and just felt absolutely horrible, physically, spiritually and mentally. After reading the forward by Nicolas J. Gomez, M.D. I realized that what my body needed was a variety of raw animal pr ...more
Merry
Raw food and the science behind just makes sense! Happy juicing and I really need to try some recipes in this book.
Tara
I enjoyed reading this after seeing an article about eating raw, and found that Alt's ten steps to eating raw could be manipulated to assist my own eating habits.
1. Search your memory-remember what you eat... If you can't, then it must've not been that good or good for you.
2. Make a list- keep track what you eat, and then seek better alternatives
3. Identify the raw- and add more to your diet.
4. Find a twin- replace with raw
5. Look at a "raw day"- eat raw food instead of processed
6. Consider you
Yoonmee
This is a really good primer for anyone interested in or curious about the raw food movement. I appreciate how Carol Alt isn't overly preachy and even admits to "cheating" on her raw food lifestyle every once in a while. Sometimes it can be hard to find books about a certain food lifestyle that aren't too preachy or downright condescending (I'm looking at you Skinny Bitch) and that don't bog the reader down with too many studies, facts, and statistics. Yes, I want to know why these diets are gre ...more
Dominique
I finally understand what I innately knew in my gut. I cannot wait to feel the difference. One of the things I loved about Carol Alt's book is I felt like we were discussing raw foods over coffee. It was straightforward, honest, and simple to understand. She also makes you realize that it isn't a huge step to make the transition. Just replace foods one by one and try different products along the way and figure out what you like or don't like. I have been struggling to figure this out on my own s ...more
Kate
It's okay. A good beginner book if you're new to healthy eating.
Jeanette
Since being a vegan I've also been introduced to eating in the raw. (I love raw restraunts and i love getting raw desserts and meals from whole foods). i was hoping this book could give me more information on it, but it wasnt what i was looking for. she still eats meat and dairy so that was hard for me to get around, and most of the stuff i already knew. i think its a good book for those who eat meat and dairy, have no information at all on eating in the raw and want a really basic explanation.
Brooke
This book had a lot of good information about eating raw foods. I do not plan on becoming a raw foodist, but I was interested in what Carol had to say about it. (I think it is gross that she eats raw meat!) I am incorporating more raw and organic foods into my diet.

(I am enjoying watching Carol Alt on Celebrity Apprentice. Too bad eating raw foods will not make me as pretty as her!)
Kadie Bennion
This was an interesting book. I think the general idea of eating food as close to natural as possible is good. She did have some ideas that I didn't feel would work well for me, namely eating 100% organic (since it is horrendously expensive), and the meat thing. Somehow I just can't bring myself around to the idea of eating meat that is minimally cooked or not cooked.
Holly
Carol Alt is amazing. This is very down to earth and accessable read.
She shares her story with humor and candor.
I have always enjoyed her as an actress, and now I know she is just a real, and humble and very cool person.
I highly enjoyed this book.
It contains some good recipies and ideas so can be used as a resource.
Margaret
Dec 04, 2008 Margaret rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in this subject
Recommended to Margaret by: self
Carol Alt is a beautiful actress and model who when she realized the was not eating right did something about it. As her health was telling her something was wrong. Her book tells how to eat ease into eating raw foods, how to prepare and also hwo to eat out in restaurants. A good start for a beginner.
Mindy
This seems a little extreme to me but apart from that, she didn't actually give you enough information to follow this kind of diet. It's obviously unlike anything most people have ever done and even if I had been totally gungho about it, she didn't give me enough information to actually do it.
Jeanette Johnson
I picked up this book thinking it would have mostly recipes for raw foods. The number of recipes wasnt that many, but her philosophy made up for it. The book was a good intro to raw foods in plain speak that I can refer friends to in the future that want to learn more.
Tara
I didn't try any of the recipes, but the book is mostly Carol's story of going raw and looots of information on why it's good for you, how to do it (at home and in restaurants) and just encouragement. One of my favorite raw books to date.
Mary Wescott
I read this 2 years ago when my liver crashed. While I do believe most of it, I don't believe people should eat raw 24/7. After awhile I start craving cooked food - such as amazing soups, or something grilled. I guess moderation?
Jeannette
Very straightforward and helpful introduction to eating raw. Some of the recipes weren't awesome, but others were great. A good book to get you started on changing to a raw lifestyle.
Jessica Jones
excellent read! I think it sums up perfectly why and how Americans can gradually change their diet to a more plant based diet. I don't think I'll ever go completely raw though.
Tara
It was the first Raw book that was honest and forth right about occasional non raw food and using raw meat or dairy. Many great fast recipes that are delicious..
Amanda
This is something I have been considering and I really enjoyed this book. Very easy to follow and understand without getting too technical.
Katie
This book is for beginners, as the title says, and provides a good introduction to the benefits of raw food and some great recipes.
Trina
If you can stop being "American" long enough to listen, you may improve your life by a large margin.
Kelly
Some good recipes, but not enough information to stand alone as a resource for raw food diets/lifestyles.
Jamey
Nice read about road to raw and general overview. No pictures for recipes!
Natasha
Suggested by my neighbor who has found some good recipes here.
Jojobooks higgins
She eats raw meat. Gross! Not as inspiring as I had hoped!
Steph Ebel
Felt it was very informative without being pushy.
Natalie
only one recipe in this book of interest.

library book
Alyssa
This is a great resource for anyone new to eating all raw.
Diane
This book is good for the raw food recipes.
  • The Complete Book of Raw Food: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods
  • Living Cuisine: The Art of Spirit of Raw Foods
  • Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life
  • Raw Food Life Force Energy
  • Everyday Raw
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
  • Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
  • Live Raw: Raw Food Recipes for Good Health and Timeless Beauty
  • Apple Cider Vinegar: Miracle Health System
  • Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine
  • Practically RAW: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make
  • Going Raw: Everything You Need to Start Your Own Raw Food Diet and Lifestyle Revolution at Home
  • Never Be Sick Again: Health Is a Choice, Learn How to Choose It
  • The Mcdougall Quick and Easy Cookbook
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Raw
  • Green for Life
  • RAWvolution: Gourmet Living Cuisine
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
Constantly in search of new frontiers, Carol Alt is the ultimate chameleon. Since her days as the world’s most renowned Supermodel, Carol Alt has gone on to be author, actress and entrepreneur. Having had enormous success in all her endeavors such as being a USA Today Best-Selling Author for her books on Raw food; a multi- award winning actress; the face of her own line of cosmetics; having a numb ...more
More about Carol Alt...
This Year's Model The Raw 50: 10 Amazing Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Drinks for Your Raw Food Lifestyle Easy Sexy Raw: 130 Raw Food Recipes, Tools, and Tips to Make You Feel Gorgeous and Satisfied Model, Incorporated A Healthy You: Boost Your Energy, Live Cleaner, and Look and Feel Younger Every Day