Start by marking “RRRalph” as Want to Read:
RRRalph

RRRalph

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  709 ratings  ·  111 reviews

Would you believe that Ralph the dog can talk? Yip, yip, yip--it's true!

With bestselling author Lois Ehlert's simple, funny, call-and-response text and bold, playful collage illustrations, this fresh, young book is sure to get little ones laughing (and talking to their dogs!)

Published May 3rd 2011 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about RRRalph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RRRalph

The Library Lady
Listen up you hallowed members of the Caldecott Committee. Lois Ehlert deserves your medal. She has deserved your medal for years, while you have repeatedly passed her by for everything from a biography illustrated with woodcut prints to a frickin' pseudo graphic novel.
Take a look at this one. It embodies everything Ehlert can do. Look at her use of various media to create her collages. Look at her bold, clear designs that have appeal for even a toddler.
Combine that with a simple, clear text tha
Tasha
Ehlert returns with another cleverly illustrated book, this time featuring a dynamic dog. Ralph is a dog who is able to talk. No, really! When they brought him home and asked him his name, he replied with “RRRalph Ralph.” He can tell you where he is when he climbs up on his doghouse: “Roof roof.” Just ask him what is on the outside of a tree, and he knows that it’s BARK. The book continues with more questions for Ralph and him answering them with a variety of barks, until at the end, he only rep ...more
Cheryl
Impulse grab at the library because my husband shares the dog's name. He thought the book was "lame." I thought it was just ok/ kinda cute. My 15 year old son thought the dog ugly, almost creepy. But, since none of us are the intended audience, my recommendation is that you read others' reviews - apparently kids are enjoying it.
Rebecca Tenbrook
I enjoyed this book a lot simply because I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. I think if read to students they will enjoy it as well and laugh right along with you. This book plays on the sounds that dogs make (ruff, bark, yep, wolf, and so on) and make it seem like the dog is actually talking. I would love to share this to a class and see if they pick up on the fact that sometimes the way that a dog barks can sound like an actual word. I would love to read this to a class and then have stu ...more
Elisabeth
Bringing this home to my boys (8 and 3). The older one will like all the jokes and the little one will like the pictures (I want to see Lois Ehlert's studio someday - I have visions of piles of all sorts of fun stuff).
Kelly
RRRalph by Lois Ehlert is a nominee for the 2013-2014 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

RRRalph is a very easy-to-read book about a dog who seems to be able to talk. He even told his owners that his name was Ralph! Ralph tells his owners when he's on the roof, that there's bark on the tree, that the path is rough, that a wolf is nearby, that he wants to come in the house when he's scared, and he makes it clear when it's time to sleep. Can Ralph really talk to his owners? The fun will be in havin
Taril Slater
RRRRalph by Lois Ehlert has an invisible narrator who says his or her dog can speak. The narrator asks the dog questions and says that the dog can respond. I think the book was cute but I wasn't a fan of the story. I think students will find the book entertaining and teachers can only use the story to entertain. This book is a very good introductory book to get students interested in learning to read.
Melanie
Lois Ehlert does it again in a fantastic book for kids. The narrator explains that his dog can talk and then proceeds to prove it. For example, when asked what's on the outside of a tree, Ralph responds with "Bark! Bark!"

Great way to get kids to interact in storytime. Children will also enjoy identifying the different objects Ehlert uses in her art.
Crystal Thomas
Rrralph was a very short, simple picture book. probably best for children younger than preschool. the boy in the book says his dog can talk because when he asks him what is on the tree he says "bark bark." The illustrations were different - the dog has a pop can tab for a nose. Overall, I was not very interested in the book and don't believe it would hold a child's attention for very long.
Dominique St-pierre
What a sweet, fun book! I read it to our one-year-old neighbor and to my Kindergarten students. While the one-year old enjoyed making all the sounds that Ralph makes, the Kindergarteners enjoyed that as well as talking about the illustrations and predicting what Ralph might do.
RachelAnne
Lois Ehlert's engaging illustrations just keep getting more innovative and fun. Kids love the humor of the talking dog. "He's just barking!" one kindergartener interjected. "Nuh-uh! He said 'rough!'" Great for storytimes, and for toddlers through age 6.
Gps
I like how everything that RRRalph says makes its way into this charming book.
the usual fun illustrations from Lois Ehlert, and just a fun book to read aloud…

as a sucker for books featuring dogs, I will have to add this to my list of favorites.
Natalie
Read this out loud in my Storytime workshop and found it quite adorable. Didn't realize it was by the author of Chika Chika Boom Boom until I read the dust jacket at the end. Loved the illustrations, too.
Katya
This was a big hit in toddler time, although they didn't get all the jokes, it worked on a sound level and a more subtle level. Grown-ups liked the joke, kids liked the dog noises.
Sherry
"RRRalph" Author Lois Ehlert was inspired by jokes that her brother, Dick Ehlert, told to his grandchildren. Young kids will love "RRRalph" because they're listening for plays on words ("How's the path feel under your feet, Ralph? Rough, Rough"). They'll also love it for the textural, photographed illustrations, a kind of craft art. This is the element that makes it a very special, interactive picture book, not just another joke book: handmade rag paper, buttons, zippers, pull-tops from soda can ...more
Katie
Amazing for toddler storytime. The kids really liked it, and the parents laughed, too, which is always a plus! It's also fun to read, and the illustrations are beautiful.
Lisa
I find the book to be amusing for many of my students. The illustrations make you want to touch the page as they are so creative and colorful. The dog seems to be able to talk and respond to questions. It is a great read aloud for my kiddos that seem to have a short attention span and my most reluctant readers pick this one up after it is introduced. At first I thought this book maybe a little 'young' for my second grade students, but the collage style illustrations really seem to grab their att ...more
Whitney Rachel
Clever! Ralph gives me the heebie jeebies, though.
Sandie
My daughter (5) rated this book...I was not as impressed as she was. The book just didn't appeal to me that much....but then again it wasn't written with me in mind!

I did like the part about the talking dog and when you asked his name, his answer was pretty cute....that was my favorite part.

The storyline is pretty much made up of a series of old jokes...cute.

The artwork is unique and pretty cool. Lois Ehlert has a very interesting way of creating and using all kinds of items to create a pictu
Eva Leger
This isn't the type of book I normally would like. There hasn't been one other book like this that I've ever liked. But this one is different. About the only words to the "story" are "sounds" coming from the dog. He's sitting on top of his dog house and he says "roof, roof". It was actually pretty funny.
I'm not a big fan of the pieced together type of illustrations shown here either but I'm glad we read this one together one night before bed. It is cute and it'd be a hoot to read with a kid abo
Candice
Aug 29, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A humorous book about a "talking" dog. Of course Ralph talks! When you ask his name, he says "RRRalph!" When he stands on top of his dog house he tells you he's on the "Roof!" When asked what's on a tree he says, "Bark!" What's not to love about a dog that can talk? The illustrations are colorful, interesting, and creative collages made of many articles you would find around the house. Ralph's mouth is a zipper, his nose a tab from a soda can, and his legs and tail paper cut with pinking shears. ...more
Cassie
Ages 2-6. Nice big font, with plenty of white space. This is a cleaver book that uses the different sounds of dogs' barks to create a story about a talking dog. Older preschoolers will appreciate the humor more than toddlers will, but both age groups can enjoy this story. I liked that some pages had no pictures, and other were all pictures. Older preschoolers can practice their predicting skills by trying to guess what Ralph says when he's asked a question.
Maggie KutsBorg
Vivid colors, funny story. Great book. I don't know any others that I'd tag big kid readaloud and toddler time, but this one is good for both audiences.
Samantha
Meet Ralph the Talking Dog! So clever both in terms of text and artwork. I love Ehlert's mixed media collage art. Kids really like picking out the everyday items they recognize like with Ehlert's Snowballs. This would be an excellent read aloud and I think kids will find it funny how Ehlert found the perfect dog responses to all of the questions she poses. Highly recommend this title! Good dog storytime read :)
Kris
Oh Lois Ehlert, I love your art so much, and I love that this book is an extension of dog jokes. The unseen narrator has a dog who can talk! When she asks him his name, he says, "Rrralph!" And what's on the tree? "Bark! Bark!" The ending didn't quite do it for me, but I love the "found art" look of this book (and it'd be great to inspire art projects). Looking forward to reading this one aloud to kids.
Shannon
I wonder if I could somehow justify a Lois Ehlert author study in class next year... She's really a squeak too primary for a 2/3 gifted class, but the sheer quantity of her books and the range of style used in them would be neat to look at closer...

Using a zipper as the dog's mouth was fantastic, but using a piece of tree bark to represent tree bark was a quite disappointing.
Amy Adams
So cute!! The illustrations (collage) are great, and it's fun to discover what they're made of. They're also very big, simple, and straightforward. I love the color blocking and the use of contrast throughout. The story is made of jokes, but they're edited together in a way that actually tells a story. This would be great for any little one (ages 5 and under).
Kifflie
Kids who love dogs will love this one. As usual, Lois Ehlert does a fine job using fabrics, folded paper, and even pop-tops to create her "talking dog" Ralph. The questions and answers posed to Ralph are a little predictable, but kids will enjoy the puns and adults will smile as they recognize typical doggy behaviors throughout this book.
Kristine Hall
Funny! Colorful! Clever! I LOVE, love, love this book! Not only are the collage illustrations super interesting, the story is fabulous and it can teach a number of things to kids. (recycling,re-purposing for art, humor, prediction, MORE). Seriously, I can think of ways to use this with toddlers all the way up to teens. Caldecott winner as well.
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Dog in Boots
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Bone Dog
  • Blue Chicken
  • My Side of the Car
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Little Mouse's Big Secret