Hardheaded Weather

Hardheaded Weather

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Cornelius Eady's new poems show him in full control of his considerable talents and displaying a rich maturity as he enters midlife. His poems are sly, unsentimental, and witty, full of truths that are intimate and profound.
"Hardheaded Weather" ranges widely, reflecting the newfound responsibilities Eady has assumed as he transitions from urban renter to nonplussed rural...more
Published April 10th 2008 by Putnam Adult (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hardheaded Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardheaded Weather

Toni
Some poems and sections of this new and selected knocked me out. Others, not so much. I love Eady's tenderness and his witness. He takes time with his work, and makes it easy for the reader to slow down and hear him. The pieces in here that I love, I dearly love. I will return to them indefinitely.
Janet
I feel like I know this poet, or that I should. His writing is so familiar and easy to me, as is his face on the jacket cover. His depth of compassion is strong, whether he's writing about his transition from urban renter to nonplussed rural homeowner, the sad facts of war, or his process of entering midlife. Funny, but I discovered that Marsha is a friend of his on Facebook. Perhaps she can introduce us--at our houses upstate, of course! "Migration" and "Recycling" speak to that bit of luck we...more
Kevin Brown
I really enjoyed this collection by Eady. While there weren't a number of lines that simply blew me away (not a lot of underlining), almost every poem was consistently good. I especially enjoyed the poems from Brutal Imagination, where he takes the African-American man that Susan Smith made up to cover her crime and gives him a voice. I'll definitely add more of Eady's work to my list of what to read.
Cedric
Love the accessibility of C. Eady's work, though the new work may come across as too accessible & simple for some... I will admit to having enjoyed the poems culled from his several poetry collections more than the new ones. Really loved the painfully honest poems about family, particularly the/his father. My dad knows nothing about poetry- and I think he might appreciate this stuff. Great buy.
H
"And summer
Has gauzed the air,"

writes one of my top three favorite poets in a new poem in a collection of all his hard-hitting books. His lines are clarity. I would recommend an earlier book instead of a collection of selections, which I tend to dislike in practice, but any and all of his other books are all great places to start, every time.
Siel Ju
Easy prosey reads - jazz and beats influence. Earlier poems tend to be more interesting. Themes: Racism, family, music.
Lynne
not 10 pages in and I'm hooked!
Peter
Wide ranging
Djanika
Djanika marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Sally Cage
Sally Cage marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Laura Klinkon
Laura Klinkon marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Zara
Zara marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Johanna Haas
Johanna Haas marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Benjamin Walker
Benjamin Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Malik Newton
Malik Newton marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Jane Alberdeston
Jane Alberdeston is currently reading it
May 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Like Joyce and Tolstoy, Cornelius Eady is an American writer focusing largely on matters of race and society, His poetry often centers on jazz and blues, family life, violence, and societal problems stemming from questions of race and class. His poetry is often praised for its simple and approachable language.
More about Cornelius Eady...
Brutal Imagination You Don't Miss Your Water: Poems Victims of the Latest Dance Craze The Gathering of My Name (Carnegie Mellon Poetry Series) The Autobiography of a Jukebox