Start by marking “Ronald Reagan” as Want to Read:
Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

In this short biography, Michael Schaller, acclaimed historian of the American political right, offers readers a poignant account of Ronald Reagan's life and achievements, from his small-town upbringing in rural Illinois to his cinematic success in Hollywood, entry into politics as governor of California, and meteoric rise to the White House, where he served for eight ...more
Published December 31st 2010 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published December 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ronald Reagan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ronald Reagan

Kevin
Feb 18, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it
On a whim I decided to read this book that had been sitting on my shelf for years. Figured it was president's day weekend and all, why not read a presidential biography. And one that was 100 pages seemed like a good place to start.

Obviously, that 100 pages means it is really just a brief overview of his life and career rather than any sort of in depth analysis.

And while Schaller isn't exactly outright hostile to Reagan and conservatism he is deeply cynical about what he sees as the gap between R
Cyndi D.
Mar 01, 2011 Cyndi D. rated it really liked it
A fast read and short biography of Ronald Reagan. Just the facts neither pro or anti Reagan. A rather pleasant and informative read.
Robin Friedman
Oct 29, 2016 Robin Friedman rated it really liked it
A Short Biography Of Ronald Reagan

After reading Thomas Mallon's largely disappointing novel "Finale" about Ronald Reagan, I was moved to revisit our fortieth president through non-fiction. I also became interested in thinking more about Reagan through reflection on our current presidential contest and on what, if anything, his life and presidency might teach us. I also wanted something brief, and I found Michael Schaller's 2010 biography, "Ronald Reagan" to help satisfy my interest. Schaller, Re
Fred Kohn
Mar 01, 2015 Fred Kohn rated it liked it
Short and to the point. Does not gloss over Reagan's faults nor downplay his accomplishments. If you want to read just one biography of Ronald Reagan and don't have much time, this is a good way to go.
Jeff Yoak
I'm hard-pressed to describe what put me off about this book. Perhaps it was a trivializing tone. Despite great interest in the topic, I just found reading the book almost immediately, viscerally unpleasant.

Anna
Not too much to say here, given that this was more like a pamphlet on Ronald Reagan. It can't pretend to be in-depth when it's only 105 pages. But, if you want a distilled version of his presidency with all the "highlights" touched upon, then this should do the trick.
Ryan Maxon
Ryan Maxon rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2013
Jon Moe
Jon Moe rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Pete
Pete rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Chip
Chip rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Anton Manyak
Anton Manyak rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Nate Craig
Nate Craig rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2016
Michael Orlicky
Michael Orlicky rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2013
Franklin
Franklin rated it liked it
May 21, 2012
Taylor Clenin
Taylor Clenin rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Jhoana
Jhoana rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Michael Stubben
Michael Stubben rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
absankar
absankar rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Chris Green
Chris Green rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Will
Will rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Daaren Durga
Daaren Durga rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Zine
Zine rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Michael Goodwin
Michael Goodwin rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2011
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2013
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Michael Schaller is Regents Professor of History at the University of Arizona. A specialist in twentieth-century American politics and foreign policy, he earned his bachelor's degree from SUNY Binghamton in 1968 and his master's (1969) and doctorate (1974) degrees from the University of Michigan.
More about Michael Schaller...