Start by marking “Open Me...I'm a Dog!” as Want to Read:
Open Me...I'm a Dog!

Open Me...I'm a Dog!

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  211 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Through the magic of words and pictures leaps a book that's not only playful as a puppy - it IS a puppy! Honest.
Published September 30th 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Open Me...I'm a Dog!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Me...I'm a Dog!

Mariel
Sep 20, 2013 Mariel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: when I said I wanted to be your dog
Recommended to Mariel by: I want to be a dog in the next life.
He really is a dog.

(Would it be so bad to be a book? This dog wants to be your dog. He's a book, though. Either way when the alarm goes off every am I'm envious.)

(Then again the conceit is bittersweet like don't forget about me Winnie and Velveteen Rabbit and rubber ring. Or that annoying as hell She and Him song Zooey Deschanel whines about the shelf. Open me! The art is sweet. It's good, though, barring that hated song looping my head. He's a dog!)

The best part is when the honest to Abe dog is
Adam
Jul 07, 2007 Adam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of young children.
Easily one of my favorite children's books. Children are totally enchanted by the simple supposition the books makes, that it is indeed not a book, but a dog that has been turned into one. It even has a leash! Buy it for your next 3-7 year-olds birthday party.
Honya
Mar 13, 2015 Honya rated it really liked it
This might look like a book, but in reality it's something much more exciting: it's a dog! Read in wonder as he convinces you of this fact, explaining how he got from being a normal dog to the book you hold. And remember, like most dogs, he just wants to be your friend.

Open Me . . . I'm a Dog! is a super-cute picture book from the renowned creator of such books as Maus, I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History. The story itself is very reader engaging--the entirety of the text is the dog t
Camilla Macaulay
i did NOT know this book was by the maus creator but it was a childhood favorite--pop up book that had a fake "leash" and some textured pages, basc inviting you to interact with the physical book throughout the story. it was really popular when i bought it at the school book fair around first grade ~so cool~ to have the dog book and play with it. or smth. was i imagining the hype because i just wanted the book so badly?? or was this book actually a status symbol for about a hot second in element ...more
Jenn
Feb 10, 2008 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
An adorable children's book in a cute package. Sweet!
Julie
Oct 01, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
This is an incredibly creative children's "book." I say "book" because... the book is in fact a dog that has been turned into a book (there is even a leash attached to the book's spine, if you want proof).

I'd recommend this for anyone, kid or adult.
Christopher
A favorite read aloud and early reader. My daughter's favorite book when she was a toddler, especially because it came with its own leash.

This would be a great read-aloud to illustrate word play, humor, and descriptive writing.
Slither
Jul 20, 2007 Slither rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
It's not a book! It's a dog! Really! After all, what book has a leash? And fur? And, it'll tell you the story of how it was changed from being an ordinary dog.

This is one dog which will never make a mess on your floor.
Caitlin Coon
Aug 11, 2013 Caitlin Coon rated it liked it
I loved the little dog on the cover with leash hanging down so you could walk him. I thought it was a great book especially when I was a little little kid!! It was like having another dog more portable!!!
ilovebakedgoods (Teresa)
Apr 17, 2011 ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
I read this book years ago and just fell in love. It even comes with a leash! Such a cute, whimsical little book.
Hira
Feb 10, 2010 Hira rated it it was amazing
AWESOME book! Great for decoding as well as text meaning/critical pratices (4 resource model)
Megan
May 30, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Cute fairy-tale-ish story yet for some reason I am slightly creeped out by it.
coeli
Aug 30, 2009 coeli rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 3-5 year olds
little kidz book! but good!
Jessica
Nov 24, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone's inner child
This book is adorable!
Jill
May 15, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-age
So cute! What a fun book!
Claire S
Mar 19, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Reviewed for CBPR
Eric
Aug 23, 2007 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Woof!
Gerard Dupree
Gerard Dupree marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Divya
Divya marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Michelle Cohen
Michelle Cohen rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Katee Cuevas
Katee Cuevas marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Jazparinxd
Jazparinxd marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
  • Round Trip
  • Butterflies in My Stomach and Other School Hazards
  • I See a Song
  • Before John Was a Jazz Giant: A Song of John Coltrane
  • Mini Myths: Be Patient, Pandora!
  • Lovable Lyle
  • George and Martha Encore
  • The Monster Who Ate My Peas
  • Peeny Butter Fudge
  • Audrey Hepburn's Enchanted Tales
Art Spiegelman (born Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev) is New-York-based comics artist, editor, and advocate for the medium of comics, best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning comic memoir, Maus.
More about Art Spiegelman...