Start by marking “The Great American Novel” as Want to Read:
The Great American Novel

The Great American Novel

An autobiography of Keith Malley, comedian and host of the popular podcast, Keith and the Girl.
Paperback, 1st, 223 pages
Published 2010 by Keith Malley

To ask other readers questions about The Great American Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great American Novel

Traci Haley
Oct 09, 2014 Traci Haley rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
I'm usually not a very patient person when it comes to books I don't like. Life's too short to read bad books. But occasionally I'll be stubborn about things...usually I just want to finish it so I can justify writing a bad review. In this case, I really, truly WANTED to like this book. I love the Keith and the Girl podcast and Keith Malley is one of my favorite comedians. I felt like I was betraying the show by not absolutely loving this book.

But a writer, Keith is not. I suppose I should've kn
Tena
Aug 14, 2015 Tena rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor, 2015, autobiography
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I've been a Keith and the Girl fan for years, and they even have a guarantee that if you don't laugh in the first minute of this book, you can have your money back. Well.. I laughed at the beginning, but that was about the only time. The thing that made me laugh? Keith singing little ditties between the title and the chapter breaks. The rest of it was a combination of horribly depressing/sad stories about Keith's moderately abusive upbringing, and ...more
Isaura
Sep 24, 2011 Isaura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
If you don't appreciate Keith and his particular brand of humor and philosophies, this book will fly right past you. This is more akin to listening to Keith tell you a few stories about how he grew up than it is reading an autobiography. If you are a KATG fan or a fan of his stand-up, there is no way you can read this book without having Keith's voice bounce loudly and hilariously through your cerebral cortex. Just not possible. A great read. Sure, why not. :)
David Roe
As much as I love the Keith and the Girl show and Keith Malley's comedy I found The Great American Novel hard to read. I thought that there was just too much detail and it felt like a forced effort to live up to the title "The Great American Novel". While there are some interesting and hilarious tidbits of the Keith Malley' back story that you'll want to know, there is not much here that hasn't already been covered on the show.
Carrie
May 09, 2011 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun to read. The chapter with his dad's emails made me laugh and feel like I was in trouble all at the same time. I am addicted to keith & the girl's podcast, and this is keith's book. I have listened for a few years now and was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a huge amount of duplication of stories he's related on the show.
Arielle
Aug 08, 2011 Arielle rated it it was amazing
I laughed my ass off. Also, first I didn't believe it at all. Then I realized no one could make up this many stories about their crazy dad and their fucked up life. I'm not sorry for the foul language; it's the only way to describe it. It's amazing. A must read!
Katie
Jun 23, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
If you listen to the show, you have probably heard almost all of these stories before. It was kind of a bummer.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Jenn
Jenn rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Meille
Meille rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2012
Ola
Ola rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Prescott
Prescott rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2011
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
May 09, 2011
Josh Mawdsley
Josh Mawdsley rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Josie
Josie rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Vickie
Vickie rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Jocelyn
Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2011
Ella
Ella rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Talli
Talli rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2011
Andy Cassidy
Andy Cassidy rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Sully
Sully rated it did not like it
May 09, 2011
Daniel Oder
Daniel Oder rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2016
Lynne Faulknor
Lynne Faulknor rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2011
Elin Konstanse
Elin Konstanse rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Ros
Ros rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2011
Gidget Nomates
Gidget Nomates rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012