Introducing NLP: Psychological Skills for Understanding and Influencing People

Introducing NLP: Psychological Skills for Understanding and Influencing People

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  741 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Some people appear more gifted than others. NLP, one of the fastest growing developments in applied psychology, describes in simple terms what they do differently, and enables you to learn these patterns of excellence.
This book offers the practical skills used by outstanding communicators. Excellent communication is the basis of creating excellent results. NLP skills are...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Conari Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing NLP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing NLP

Stevedutch
For anyone coming new to this emergent field of self-improvement this book will be the perfect introduction. Having said that it’s a getting a bit ‘long in the tooth’ now! Nevertheless, it provides a comprehensive and very readable outline of the fundamental principles, that haven’t changed. As is commonly the case with introductory NLP texts, it opens with a brief outline of the history of the development of NLP beginning with the early association and subsequent collaboration between John Grin...more
Yellow Rose
This was a clearly written introduction to the topics, which NLP covers. It has very basic and concise description of each topic, for example Rapport was described in two pages.Fairly short amount of detail given to each topic. So I would highly recommend this book for a beginner who has no idea what NLP is and wants to find out more. The back of the book consists of other NLP resources and books that one can look for to further their knowledge and improve the skills. I will give an overview on...more
Robert Day
This book has changed my life for the better. I have applied the techniques and made note of the things I can do when other phobias and blockages and barriers arise as threats to my present and future happiness - and I feel much better and much more positive about my ability to handle life and self.

I was even inspired to use the knowledge in this book to help friends and family - it's such a wonderful, useful and helpful resource that the methods can be used anywhere and at any time at the drop...more
Cosuma
May 09, 2009 Cosuma marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Aus dem Vorwort:

"Wenn wir erkennen, dass lenerndes Kommunizieren die Essenz jeder Entwicklung ist, entsteht ein Bedürfnis, eben jene Essenz besser kennenzulernen und sie für unser Leben zu nutzen.

Dies ist die Intention des NLP, dessen zahlreiche Wegbereiter im Laufe der Jahre all die wertvollen Erkenntnisse herausgearbeitet haben, die in diesem Buch erstmals zusammenfassend dargestellt werden.

Die Modelle natürlicher Lebensprozesse sind von höchst praktischer Bedeutung, zeigen sie doch neue Wege...more
Abdulaziz Fagih

this book will give you an excellent Idea about NLP and its written in nice and interesting way.

But why did I give it 2 out of 5?

That’s my evaluation of the concept. As NLP is just collection methodology from other sciences that been collected together for trade show and the book will clam the invention of excellent idea to people who are clearly using a well know methodology created by other decades ago.

NLP is not a real science it’s collection of Ideas form other sciences that been collected...more
Jessie
I didn't really know what NLP was about when I first started this. I was happy to learn that language itself is at the heart of everything we do internally and externally- from our perceptions of ourselves and how our self talk either limits our potential or expands it, to how we speak to others in our lives from relationships to negotiations. The material was really intricate and it will definitely require practice and revisiting in order to fully understand the concepts and techniques, but def...more
Leon M
I'm not so sure whether NLP is just a systemized and scientifically backed approach to psychotherapy or a random collection of tactics that maybe could theoretically (and so on) improve something I do not know about.

But after all I can't blame a book for the topic it deals with and I have to say that this is all in all quite a good introduction to NLP. There are parts when you say to yourself: "I would have liked to know more about this" or "Why does this work" but I think that is just an aspect...more
M&M
Great book. O'Connor introduced a new concept within the limit of very simple words. It is hard to believe that NLP works but this is indeed true. As a person who had depression and discovered most of the methods before I read this book, I realized that this book is very insightful. Although I don't agree with some of his belief, such as solving phobias in one day, O'Connor' method are effective if the reader can internalize them. Regardless, a large amount of life experience and a good understa...more
Anne
A great book to introduce you to nlp
Amany  A A
an interesting topic adds a new way to notice small things and patterns around us . how ever , big chunk of this book had really no Applications in real life interactions and was nothing but new knowledge and at a times , plain epistemology .
every 50 page you get out with one word that you can Actually apply and utilize and you can proudly say that you've never knew that from any other places except NLP books , but mostly i fail to see the use of it's topics in practical manner .
Mo75
Strange book this one, it almost looks like an academic text, the subject matter sounds academic, but then it's just hocus pocus bullshit inside. Was it well written? Maybe, although one chapter in particular seemed to be entirely directed at explaining that psychology is a dodgy subject and "ner nee ner we NLPers are better than that". I think the subject matter annoyed me more than anything else, I think NLP is a load of crap and this book helped me reach this conclusion.
Chris Gottlieb
Fantastic book for NLP Students!: Are you a NLP student or just simply someone who finds it fasinating! This is an exceptionally good book. The writer is very clear in what he means. I am doing and NLP course and I have found this book has helped my understand the subject more clearly. Personally I find NLP fasinating. This book is ideal for anyone but particulary good for NLP students and NLP beginners.

NLP is the study of human excellence

KahWee Teng
A friend highly recommended this book but I can't get through this. Particular points that irks me is this theory that when the observed's eyes turns to a certain direction, it can be taken as indication of their state of mind. The book also made a futile attempt to deconstruct the mental model. I learnt at half the book mark that the mind is too complex to be analyzed with a framework. It results in inaccuracies more than anything.
John Ledesma
May 14, 2014 John Ledesma is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyone in Primerica
Shelves: team-psychology
Perhaps my all time favorite in the field of personal development. I have been reading a lot of books related to sales and although it isn't directly related it has changed my views on how I learn and how others learn. I need to reread it again and again. It is fun to see that NLP can be used in developing an organization to perform on a higher level no matter in this milieu or group psychotherapy or what have you.
Aven
Apr 19, 2008 Aven rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
This is a must have for anyone looking to completely turn their world upside down. If you want to be happier, make more money, meet that special someone or just get laid more often this book will help you if you apply yourself.

This practice is the basis for self help gurus, specifically Anthony Robbins. I am a firm believer that is also the basis for "The Secret" revolution.
Bart
The first 50 pages are the best 50 pages.

While the concept of anchoring is both innovative and powerful, much of the rest of the book is written in the usual and banal self-help style of gee-golly anecdotes and knowledge-on-the-cheap quotations cherry-picked from much longer tomes.

Not a well-written book, and not an enjoyable read, however important its concepts.
BasementBoi BasementBoi
NLP is a caricature of psychology. If you are not familiar with the basic concepts of psychology and linguistics, you might want to avoid this.
It sounds scientific but it is not. NLP is basiccly pseudoscience from the 70s. Read a real introduction to psychology (for example B. F. Skinner - Science & human behavior) first, you will gain more from it.
Martin Rouchmann
This is a good introduction to NLP. You get a basic understanding of what, how and who, but don't expect to get a lot of tools for using NLP in your own life. Yes, there are small steps to start of with, but I consider it to be introductionary steps. Moreover, it is a heavy book to read, but it does make you wanna read/study more NLP books.
Matt Paulk
It's a little dry, at worst. The concepts seem to be only half-effective, but I've never had NLP coaching; so I'm no expert. The true strength of the book lies in the self-awareness it creates. After reading it, you will look more closely at how you live your life.
Frank
I skimmed through this, that is, I read entire sections but not the whole book, at an Indigo bookstore. I gave it 3 stars because it explains ideas well, but it does not give specific methods by which you can apply those ideas in your daily life.
Jonathan
Buena introduccion a la PNL, con un lenguaje facil de entender. Ademas presenta los principales temas y conceptos de la Programacion Neurolinguistica, acompañados de ejercicios practicos con lo cual se puede empezar a cambiar y mejorar cada dia.
Sammy
Nov 16, 2007 Sammy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for an intro to NLP
A few friends of mine are very accomplished NLP'ers.
I needed to understand it more to speak with my friends and a book by Joseph O'Connor is a good start.

It is very good book. Things are laid out plainly and easy to understand.
Sarezh Zyad
Great book. of O'Connor introduced a new concept of NLP within the limit of very simple words new way to notice small things around us ... but after being in NLP course it become more clear to me
Zeljko
This books provide foundations of NLP in easy and fun to read format. This is one of the first books I read on the subject and it will always be special to me.
Patricio
Nov 20, 2012 Patricio rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychologists, Psychology Students, Public Speakers
It was a great book into beginning to understand the science behind communication and why it is important that we learn to communicate face to face.
Bisher
I encourage reading this book. It eqiups you with great tools to make life easier. NLP has a great influence on all deciplines of life.
Steve Green
I started reading it and it looks good for now.
And if anyone is interested, you can download nlp ebooks at www.library70.blogspot.com/
Sean
A good book, gives a broad view of NPL, its history and options on where to deepen your study on it in more specific fields.
Goodreads Librari...: Need help merging books and correcting authors 3 17 Feb 15, 2013 05:03PM
  • NLP: The New Technology of Achievement
  • Sperm Wars: Infidelity, Sexual Conflict, and Other Bedroom Battles
  • The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed
  • Six Pillars of Self-Esteem
  • Rules of the Game
  • Get Anyone to Do Anything: Never Feel Powerless Again--With Psychological Secrets to Control and Influence Every Situation
  • The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating
  • Body Language
  • Comedy Writing Secrets: The Best-Selling Book on How to Think Funny, Write Funny, Act Funny, And Get Paid For It
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • No More Mr Nice Guy
  • Instant Confidence
  • The Way Of The Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
There is more than one author with this name
More about Joseph O'Connor...
NLP Workbook: A practical guide to achieving the results you want Coaching with NLP: How to be a Master Coach The Art of Systems Thinking: Essential Skills for Creativity and Problem Solving NLP Training With NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming): Skills for trainers, managers and communicators

“To believe that someone else is responsible for your emotional state is to give them a sort of psychic power over you they do not have...we really do generate our own feelings. No one else can do it for us. We respond and are responsible. To think other people are responsible for our feelings is to inhabit a billiard ball, inanimate universe.” 8 likes
“Why' questions have little value, at best they get justifications or long explanations which do nothing to change the situation.” 4 likes