Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships

Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  55 reviews
What makes a camel friends with a Vietnamese pig? Or a wild polar bear pals with a sled dog? In this young preschool book, Catherine Thimmesh makes us wonder at the truth and mystery of unlikely animal friendships. Because the stories behind these friendships are true, not contrived, captured by photographers in many countries ranging from Siberia to Japan, they not only
Published May 23rd 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends

David
Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships by Catherine Thimmesh is a compendium of unusual animal friendships, with striking photographs of the animals.

The photographs, taken by a number of photographers, will really grab readers, especially animal lovers and kids. My favorite images include cat and orangutan, camel and pig, capybarra and squirrel monkey, cat and Asiatic Bear, and baby orangutan and tiger cub.

The poems are nice and the details interesting, in this compendium of u...more
Eva Leger
This is an amazing book - it really is. Animal relationships are fascinating to me and Julia so finding this was perfect. The stories shown here include a baby macaque and pigeon, an orangutan and a cat, a camel and a Vietnamese miniature pig, a giraffe and an ostrich, a lion cub and piglet, a Basset Hound and an owl, a frog and mouse, a baby badger and baby fox, a capybara and squirrel monkey, (this is so fantastic!) a polar bear and a chained Eskimo sled dog, (this is another!) an Asiatic bear...more
Amanda Snow
Originally posted at: www.apatchworkofbooks.com

One word. ADORABLE. The animal friendships featured in this book are completely unexpected, but so much fun to read about. From the orangutan and the tabby cat to the badger and the fox and my favorite, the dog and the cheetah, you'll be "awwwwing" all the way through the book and the kids won't be able to stop flipping through either.

I loved the inclusion of a short poem on each page about friendship for each animal pair, such a nice touch to the...more
Barbara
Friendships are often formed by those who have something in common, but sometimes, strange events in life prompt the most unlikely friendships to spring up. This book put me in mind of Owen and Mzee, the baby hippo and tortoise who bonded after the 2004 tsunami. Thimmesh has selected 13 unlikely animal pairings from 14 photographs and proceeds to describe what drew them together. If some of the friendships are fleeting and almost unfathomable, they also serve to remind readers that we all have s...more
babyhippoface
Oh my, the photos here are adorable. The baby badger is the cutest thing EVER. Reminds me totally of Frances the Badger from the children's book series.

Each spread features a poem about friendship accompanied by a photo of an unlikely pair of buddies: a kit fox and the baby badger, a cheetah and an Anatolian Shepherd, an orangutan and a tabby cat, and more, including several who would be natural enemies in the wild. Beneath the poetry, in a smaller font, is a brief description of the actual rel...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book is a gem! Each 2-page spread tells about a pair unusual animal friends, all found in zoos, sanctuaries, or other captive places except for the frog and the mouse. The text includes quotes about friendship and the background behind the unusual friendships. The pictures are so cute, the animals so adorable! Pair this with Own and Mzee. You won't stop saying, "Awwwww..." until the end of the book. Highly recommended!
Edward Sullivan
Candid, heartwarming snapshots of a Peacable Kingdom. A book every animal lover will want. Libraries will want to have multiple copies.
Treasure
This nonfiction picture book offers one surprising and unusual animal friendship on each two page spread. On the left is brief, rhyming text about friendship, with smaller, lengthier text below it explaining the story behind the friendship and picture. The right side of the page features a large, colorful picture of two animals in a real life, unexpected friendship moment.
Some animal pairs are long term friends, while other are only captured in a picture for a moment of meeting that does not occ...more
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 5/12)

Erin
Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships was written by Catherine Thimmesh and is an informational book all about the unique relationships of animals that would normally be enemies to one another.
The characters of this story are all from different places. They have different homes, eat different foods, and get around in different ways. But the unique thing about them is that they are all united by strange friendships. Each animal in this story was either lonely, hungry, tired,...more
Kacy Sullivan
Cute, Cuddly, and heartwarming, Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships, written by Catherine Thimmesh is a book about animals who have for one reason or another become friends, even when the laws of nature would tell us otherwise. Throughout the book, there is a poem about what friendship means, and how friends treat one another. On each page there is also a photograph of animals from around the world that have made friends with animals of another species. And along with each...more
Laura Salas
Friends celebrates unexpected friendships. One rhyming poem spans the entire picture book, and each spread has an oh-my-lord adorable animal pair photograph and a brief prose passage describing the animals' circumstances/relationship. The photos are simply irresistible (Robert Palmer, get out of my head). The lion cub and piglet and the orangutan and tiger cub are my favorites! I love the stories about the animals. At first, I was unsure about including some that were such brief relationships, b...more
Kate Hastings
Grades 1-4. One of the Buckeye Children's Book Award nominees for 2013. I was really surprised the students enjoyed this as much as they did. The book features unusual animal friendships (pig and camel, cheetah and dog, owl and dog, frog and mouse). The book is a poem about qualities of friendships. In smaller print at the bottom were facts about the animal friendship. This was a good book for modeling text elements (smaller print, bigger print, photographs). I paired this with a clip from Natio...more
Sharon Lawler
Photo essay with descriptions about real friendships between different species in the animal world---A cheetah and a dog, a giraffe and an ostrich, for instance. If these creatures can learn to share and nurture, why is is so hard for the human race?
Samantha
A collection of stories about animal friendships, often formed between species who in the wild regard one another as enemies. A poem introduces and sums up each pair's extraordinary friendship and then a brief paragraph provides zoo information and details about how the animals came to prefer each other's company. Text is mirrored by a full color, full page photo of the animal pairs interacting.

This is a great family read. The photos will charm everyone and the stories will touch their hearts.

I...more
Hailee
This nonfiction picture book by Catherine Thimmesh displays unthinkable friendships between polar opposite animals, such as a tiger cub and a baby orangutan, or a polar bear and a pack of sled dogs. While most of these friendships didn't last long due to the animal's safety, this book uses rhyming words to distinguish the depth of each individual friendship. The photographs throughout the book are heartwarming and any aged reader will fall in love with each unusual story. "Friends" reiterates th...more
Dolly
Jun 17, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet book of short stories about different animals finding comfort from one another. Often, these animals are considered quite incompatible or unlikely to form a bond with one another, but they do so anyway. Whether it was for a few moments or for years, the big, colorful photos capture the essence of the companionship. The narrative includes a small poem and a short narrative that describes how each animal pair became friends. We enjoyed reading this book together and have read it a...more
Jill
The kids and I love these true animal friend stories. This one was fun because there were multiple stories and each one started with a little poem.
Stan
The Internet gives us cute pictures of cats or dogs. This book gives us cute pictures of unlikely animal friendships. The book cover being a perfect example. Catherine Thimmesh adds light poetry about friendship, inspired by the individual pictures, and a brief explanation of the setting for the friendship. This is a lovely diversion. And it suggests that even unlikely individuals can be friends. Could we learn something from this?
Cally O'Brien
Audience: Animal lovers, science teachers, librarians looking for read aloud with animal or friendship theme,

Appeal: This book has two levels of text that extend it's audience from young children who like to look at the animal pictures to older children and adults who are interested in the stories behind the pictures.

California Reading Association's Eureka! Nonfiction Children's Book Award-2012
Jennifer Borduin
This is an EXCELLENT book on unlikely friendships among animals. Children can discuss the different animals, why they became friends, what makes the duo work, and whether or not they could be friends in the wild. This could be a great intro science lesson into species, and how animals behave differently when captured rather than living in the wild.
Shannon Considine
This book shows images of unlikely animal friendships, such as the cover’s monkey and tiger buddy pair. Since the animals are so different from each other, this book can be used to discuss differences that can exist between friends, tolerating others, and making the effort to spend time with and getting to know someone different from yourself.
June
Sep 02, 2011 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers, parents, teachers
Recommended to June by: Polly
A sweet book, which gives a brief glimpse of several across species friendships. My son Andrew read it and was taken with the bear and cat friendship and drew a picture of them for his summer reading report.

I have also placed a hold for Unlikely Friendships by Jennifer Holland at MCPL, which was highlighted in the neighborhood paper.
Donalyn
From time to time, I receive cute animal pictures in my email. Those photos seem to provide the basis for this book. While I thought many of the animal photos were adorable, the text was clunky at times and revealed that many of these encounters were random moments-- not friendships of the lasting sort. I struggled to see the point.
Janice  Durante
Animal lovers of all stripes will want to paw this bright new book with simple, poetic text and striking photographs of unusual animal pairs. See my review at http://readaloudsforallchildren.wordp...
And thanks to Catherine Thimmesh for the free, autographed copy.
Kris
Guaranteed to make you go, "Awwwwww!" This is informational pleasure-reading. I didn't think the rhymes about friendship added much to the book, but the photos are adorable, and hearing how the friends on each page met was great. Good for a quick read-aloud, and kids will want to pore over it independently.
Karen Arendt
A beautifully photographed book with one story per two page spread. Each true story is of an unusual pairing of animals who become friends for a few days, a few months, and sometimes for a lifetime. I plan to pair this book with Tarra and Bella for my kindergarten nonfiction lesson.
Michelle
This was a really neat little book. Each page features an endearing picture of two unusual animal friends. Then there is a little history of how these unlikely pairs became friends. In some cases they are together only briefly and others last for years. It caused lots of Awww moments.
A great nonfiction work! Each picture has a simple poetry-style story with an extensive caption giving information about the unusual animal friendships. This is a great book to read to younger students (poetry story only) and to explore with older elementary students.
Susan
This book has two formats - the first is a poem about friendship; the second is a paragraph about the real life friendship of two very different animals. Excellent photographs of the animals and stories from around the world - both in captivity and in the wild.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Butterfly Is Patient
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • The Rabbit Problem
  • Pale Male:  Citizen Hawk of New York City
Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women Scaly Spotted Feathered Frilled: How do we know what dinosaurs really looked like? Lucy Long Ago: Uncovering the Mystery of Where We Came From Madam President: The Extraordinary, True (and Evolving) Story of Women in Politics