Start by marking “Hojoki: Visions of a Torn World” as Want to Read:
Hojoki: Visions of a Torn World

Hojoki: Visions of a Torn World

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A luminous translation of the classic Buddhist poem
Published July 1st 1998 by Stone Bridge Press (first published 1212)

To ask other readers questions about Hojoki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hojoki

Praj
Below the crimson skies shivers the last leaf,
Sings the blue bird, songs of a lonely tree
I wonder where, swallowed by the spring rain,
Floats the leaf, to claim a spotted grave
The sounds from Hojoki deeply permeate,
Heart of a one-room hut, poetry and music rhyme
Nestled within an early bud, what do I see?
Glimpses of Lotus Sutra, one man’s pilgrimage.

Five deciding elements of nature persuading the humble origin of the supreme fruition of man conceptualising the ephemeral life, the sensibility of ma
Steve

- Calligraphy by Hon'ami Kōetsu (1558–1637), Underpainting attributed to Tawaraya Sōtatsu (died ca. 1640), Poem by Kamo no Chomei (ca. 1154 – 1216)

If we follow the ways of the world, things are hard for us; if we refuse to follow them, we appear to have gone mad.

As I understand it, Hojoki is read by every Japanese student in school and had a great influence on much that was subsequently written in Japanese. It is one of the key texts of the Japanese culture. Written by Kamo no Chomei in 1212 d
Hadrian

upon the pools,
scattering, re-forming,
never lingering long.

So it is with man
and all his dwelling places
here on earth.

------------------------------

Hojoki is a short poetic meditation in life and impermanence. It talks on brief flashes about great fires, earthquakes, and other catastrophes, but it is not a wholly melancholic poem. The closing l
Susan Budd
Hojoki epitomizes the Japanese concept of mono no aware, an appreciation for the impermanence of beauty. I've read three translations of this sublime little book. The other two are by Burton Watson (Four Huts) and Meredith McKinney (Essays in Idleness and Hojoki). Each of the three translations has its merits and all are worth reading. In fact, reading all three has increased my appreciation for this masterpiece. However, the Yasuhiko Moriguchi and David Jenkins translation is my favorite for it ...more
Akemi G
Mediocre. About the only good part is the opening paragraph, and even that, I think it is cliched. I'm sure the symbolism of a river was popular in his time already. Chomei is a lay monk, and I think his understanding of impermanence is shallow, only in his head.

Please don't judge Japanese classics by this book! If you like reading essays, try Essays in Idleness: The Tsurezuregusa of Kenko (written by another lay monk) or The Pillow Book (written by a court lady). If you want to know about the
Velvetink
Thanks to Capsguy for this. For a text that is 800 years old it has major relevance to today. A kind of Buddhist ode to downsizing and I can certainly relate. I wish I could read Japanese, I'm sure there are nuances in the language that translate even more poetically.
Capsguy
This is an amazing little gem, and its applicability for today is amazing! If you can find this, please spare the twenty or so minutes it would take for reading this, it truly is something to help put you back into reality.
Brendan
Feb 10, 2015 Brendan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
In middle (ish) of the Tale of Heike and saw this was concurrent and found a couple translations online. Not that I didn't 'believe' what was happening in Heike, but I also know the Tale is questionably historic. I was taken back a little to read some of the same events happening in the Hojoki. I mean, I guess that's exactly why you read up on source material - to get that element of realism.

It also had an immediacy that Heike does not always have - the beginning of the Hojiki has some stark de
Gertrude & Victoria
Written in 1212, Hojoki: Visions of a Torn World is a perennial work of wisdom. Kamo-no-Chomei is a monk, a poet and a chronicler of the Heian Period, and this work is as much a historical account as it is poetry and fable.

As with all translations of poetry, it is a herculean task to capture both the technical features as well as the meaning in its original, uncompromised and intended form without diminishing the work in any way. This translation appears to have accomplished both to a satisfacto
Chris Watson
An enjoyable book, really, I liked it, it has pathos and philosophy, but...

This is apparently a Japanese classic. It seems to me Japanese art and culture has some parallels with Japanese food.

When you live in the West, Japanese food seems quite appealing, based on an occasional visit to a Japanese restaurant; but living here, you realise how unsatisfying and lacking in nourishment it is when eaten all the time - the Japanese are half-starved, preventable birth defects are too common and the elde
Catherine
Matthew Gatheringwater
If you conform to the world
it will bind you hand and foot.

If you do not, then
it will think you mad.

And so the question
where should we live?
And how?

Where to find
a place to rest a while?

And how bring
even short-lived peace
to our hearts?

The author of these words, Kamo no Chomei, had reason to long for peace. He had survived fire, whirlwind, famine, earthquake, and political upheaval. By 1212, he described himself as “an old silkworm spinning one last cocoon.” He built a modest hut of only ten square
Francisco Becerra
A powerful story that teaches you how to be aware of the details, that added together, make life. A journey of questions and meditations valid through all ages.
Will
I understand why this book is a classic. This is written by someone who has seen disaster after disaster strike cities, and seen how both the rich and the poor have their own troubles.

And finally, he talks about his simple life. And, at the end, he self-identifies as a hipster -- he knows that his "simple" life is done in imitation of other monks, and that his simple house is built in the style of another monk, and that when it comes down to it, he's not all that modest and humble.

It's clean, a
Jan
This was a really quick read. I like the idea of solitude in a single small room that you could move anywhere you wanted.
Bridie  Knight
Like a long cool drink on a hot day. I love books like this, lyrical and descriptive, philosophical depictions of a life.
Its a very short book and well worth the read. The motif of 'house' runs throughout and is a yardstick to the authors growth and life experience.
From the ruin of a city due to fire, his removal from the family manse to more humble dwellings, and then even smaller living arrangements that although meagre in size and construction sounded just right in its setting, an apt analogy
Marielle
I wasn't terribly impressed with this work, and I suspect that it is because Japanese verse is gorgeous visually and delightful to the ears- none of which gets translated into English. Having only read this English translation, I am left simply with the content. It is interesting enough, but not terribly engaging. But, if you are interested in Japan at all this is a very influential and important work.
Juli Anna Herndon
I only read the beginning essay, "The Ten Foot Square Hut," which is too short to publish on its own. Easily read in an hour or less, with some interesting accounts of medieval Japanese history, as well as insights on living simply. This guy was the original Thoreau, and way more hardcore. He lived in a TEN-SQUARE-FOOT house! Henry David ain't got nothing on that.
Julia
Short but effective. The author's work covers the evanescent world and how that manifests in Japanese society, especially regarding housing and interpersonal relations. The translation is well done (i.e., without awkward phrasing or obscure words), and I liked the reformatting of the work into poetry. Quick read but definitely interesting.
Valentina
Tsurezuregusa徒然草 e Hōjōki 方丈記. Gli zuihitsu, quando la "mano segue il pennello": zibaldoni di pensieri, brandelli di ricordi, appunti, divagazioni del tutto buttati giù a caso.
Matthew
Dec 18, 2013 Matthew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dylan, Brent
"Fish do not weary of the water, but unless one is a fish one does not know why.

Birds long for the woods, but unless one is a bird one does not know why.

The joys of solitude are similar. Who could understand them without having lived here?"

Mark
This is a surpringly relevant meditation on the nature of life. This translation is crisp and delightful. I reccomend Hojoki as something to read slowly on a quiet morning or in the light of a sunset.
Ana Luković
Hojoki is a vivid picture portraying a story of a lost world and a civilization engulfed in flames, both literally and metaphorically and the striving of one man to rise above the ensuing chaos.
Yupa
L'introduzione, le note, la postfazione, il glossario e quant'altro costituiscono il 90% del libro...
Adéla Tůmová
Vyprávění zatrpklého důchodce 12. století v Japonsku.
Dennis
Must Read-1
Meaningful-3
Lilit Hayrapetyan
Lilit Hayrapetyan is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2015
&&&
&&& marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
  • Essays in Idleness: The Tsurezuregusa of Kenko
  • The Great Mirror of Male Love
  • As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan
  • The Tale of the Heike
  • The Kojiki: Records of Ancient Matters
  • Grass on the Wayside =: Michikusa
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches
  • Vita Sexualis
  • Anthology of Japanese Literature: From the Earliest Era to the Mid-Nineteenth Century
  • En el bosque, bajo los cerezos en flor
  • The Secret History of the Lord of Musashi & Arrowroot
  • Sun and Steel (Paperback)
  • Four Major Plays of Chikamatsu
  • The Broken Commandment
  • Japanese Nō Dramas
  • The River Ki
Ten Foot Square Hut and Tales of the Heike Hōjōki.  Tsurezuregusa 方丈記 Hojoki ; Mumyosho (Japanese Edition) The Ten Foot Square Hut, And Tales Of The Heike; Being Two Thirteenth Century Japanese Classics, "The Hojoki" And Selections From "The Heike Monogatari."

“The flow of the river is ceaseless; and its water is never the same.
The foam that floats in the pools
Now gathering, now vanishing
Never lasts long. So it is with man
and all his dwelling places on this earth.”
4 likes