eXtreme Programming eXplained : embrace change

eXtreme Programming eXplained : embrace change

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  852 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Software development projects can be fun, productive, and even daring. Yet they can consistently deliver value to a business and remain under control.

Extreme Programming (XP) was conceived and developed to address the specific needs of software development conducted by small teams in the face of vague and changing requirements. This new lightweight methodology challenges m...more
Published 2000 by Addison-Wesley (first published October 5th 1999)

The C Programming Language by Brian W.KernighanPlanning Extreme Programming by Kent BeckYour Guide To Scrivener by Nicole DionisioBeyond the Inbox by Shay ShakedΤεχνολογία ηχείων by ΣΑΓΟΣ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΟΣ
Best Technical Books
15th out of 60 books — 11 voters
The  C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanIntroduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenClean Code by Robert C. MartinCode Complete by Steve McConnellRefactoring by Martin Fowler
software-development
43rd out of 53 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean Tessier
eXtreme Programming 2.0.

Actually, it's a complete rewrite of the first edition.

Actually, it's more like reinventing XP. Kent Beck is adjusting XP so we can benefit from his additional five years of XP experience. The first XP was squarely aimed at programmers; this new version should appeal to everyone involved in software development. The practices have been updated: some have been dropped, some are new. He recommends a much more gradual introduction if you want to move to XP, instead of the st...more
Ondřej Sýkora
An explanation of the extreme programming methodology. The main thesis of the book is that it does not make sense to try and predict things that can't be predicted. Instead, Kent Beck proposes a methodology that embraces changes instead of fighting them or trying to predict everything into detail. The main points of the methodology are:
- pair programming - all code is written in pairs (on a single computer); this leads to a higher quality of code being written, as the person who is not writing h...more
David Workman
A very good read that introduces the topic of Extreme Programming extremely well.

This book does a great job of conveying the practices, principles and values of XP to its target audience. Its style should be familiar to those who have read Kent Beck's other books - it gets right to the point, doesn't repeat itself very much and is split into chapters where they make sense without any artificial bloating of chapters to make them 'the right size' (several chapters are only 2 sides, for example).

It...more
Kristina Stefanova
Very good book that is explaining the main principles, practices and values of Extreme Programming (XP) that makes the software development faster and brings excellence and good quality to the end product. The examples are simple, the book is easy for reading and is inspiring. The main core in the process of XP are pair programming, test driven development, incremental design, deployment and planning, work separated in development cycles and customer interaction. The team aim to achieve perfect...more
Nicholas
Interesting read even if you don't know anything about coding. Don't let the lack of quotes belie this book. There was nothing that jumped off the page but it was all good. Short and too the point too.

Quotes:

"One way a test can pay off is when a test works that you didn't expect to work. Then you better go find out why it works, because the code is smarter than you are."
Neville Ridley-smith
I read parts of this many years ago and I decided to give it a thorough read-through. Even though it's the first edition, it's still interesting. Agile (mostly Scrum) has definitely developed further from these ideas but the basics are here. And there are plenty of good reminders too. Gets a bit hand-wavy at times but I can overlook that.
Darryl
Although I didn't always agree with the author's conclusions, I loved this book. The five-star score is a rating of the book, not XP itself. The book does a wonderful job of tieing practices back to principles and values. XP practices and the reasoning behind them are explained in enough detail that you can work them into your teams starting now. I think this is the book's main goal, and it has been reached.

The book is not without flaws. The author makes a number of assumptions about people and...more
Nandan Dubey
I haven't done Software Engineering course. It was optional and I never learned to appreciate it until after 5-6 months in my job. Other reason for not doing it was the professor who took the course in my campus :).

Anyhow this book told me the importance of planning and philosophy behind software development. I learned to appreciate the way my company do XP or at least try to impose it to maximum extent. This is way to survive in long term.
Even though the philosophy discussed in the book doesn't...more
Adam
Full of great practices. This time through the emphasis on a crazy-low defect rate stuck with me. Quality is not something you can trade off. Raise quality to make projects go faster.

I got a little hung up on bits of prose that didn't add up for me. Aphorisms like "Tools and techniques change often, but they don't change a lot. People, however, change slowly but deeply" felt like fluff. The example setting up self-similarity, a leaf in the same shape as the nearby pond, struck me as mixing coinc...more
Carl Paukstis
A sermon from the prophet. Beck had a big hand in inventing eXtreme Programming and early work on Agile methods. He really, REALLY believes in XP, as he makes clear in this book.

The book is more of a discussion of philosophy in software development and managing development teams, vs. a guide for using the XP methods. Although he does lay out the fundamental goals, practices and values, little attention is given to how to get buy-in to following them. Short shrift is given to the concept of parti...more
David
Extreme Programming (XP) is a development methodology that acknowledges that both developers customers matter. It acknowledges that people have strengths and weaknesses, and that it chooses to work with those weaknesses rather than against it. This is in contrast to most of the traditional software development methodologies, where emphasis in placed mostly on processes.

This book provides a balanced introduction and explanation of XP. Even as it espouses the good, it also highlights limitations....more
Jim Butler
No doubt the ideas brought forth in Beck's work will generate controversy. He writes as he preaches, simple and courageous. I read the book in 3 hours and am still thinking heavily about its message. Current technological advances may actually allow his approach to work but it will be a tough sell to any customer comfortable with current methodologies. Beck's zeal is contagious but it comes across as rationalization for the lazy way I want to code. Frankly, what he espouses could be downright da...more
Ţîgan Ion
nice book ( the one from September 2000 ), with some great ideas ( read the back cover of the book it's all there), could have been much more shorter :)
maybe you won't use the "whole XP", but I know you will find and use(if not already) a few ideas disscussed
Samantha Hines
A very interesting examination of how to get programmers to work smarter, not harder. Who would've thought it'd go into areas like gardening--wonderful examples to prove points. Another standout is the promotion of the LLL peer leader models for coaching accreditation. Great book on productivity and team leadership overall.
Kevin
A truly excellent book. I've been telling myself I should read it for years, and finally did on a recent plane trip. I'm sad that I hadn't done so previously.

Beck lays out the case for a better methodology for software development (not, it should be said, a universal solvent, but better for many cases) in a compelling way, including both the economic and the technical reasons why it's better.

He's primarily arguing from a systems thinking point of view - what are the set of behaviors, carefully...more
Jack Repenning
This is one of the master-works of the Agile movement, Extreme Programming (XP) variant. XP (and therefore, this book) focuses particularly on the workgroup dynamics, and leaves out discussion of some surrounding bits that are none the less necessary (like "release planning"), which is why the most popular Agile style is widely quoted as "XP plus Scrum." So, don't look here for questions like "how do we decide what to do?" or "how do we handle institutional stakeholders who won't adapt to the pr...more
Marshall
This book explains Extreme Programming. Right? You could have figured that out, I'm sure. Pretty straightforward. It makes a case, addresses misunderstandings, criticisms, and special cases, and gives examples. Extreme programming is a style of programming that turns the traditional processes on their heads. Rather than testing at the end, it tests at the beginning. Rather than a design phase, it advocates aggressive refactoring, redesigning continuously. It makes a pretty good case, but I didn'...more
Vladimir
This is fantastic book for developers. It helps to organize the development process in light and highly productive teams of two or more, this even helps personally for every developer on this planet.

This is a book from which professional development starts. The well-structured book is interesting to read and has a lot of nice real examples. It's a nice and clean cookbook for modern developers.
Mark
This book, like Design Patterns, hasn't aged well for me, but I recall being energized by the concepts when I first read it; it made me excited to code again. If you still don't know what eXtreme Programming is, pick this book up.

(Footnote: my current company actually uses eXtreme Programming and it works pretty well...although, any methodology probably works well if you throw enough developers at it)
Thomas
I found this to be a fascinating book which explores some of the principles behind agile development instead of a more cookbook approach. I found it to be very insightful and that the principles Beck expounds ring true to me. If you just want an implementation guide this will not be it. But in my opinion understanding the principles behind Agile is more important than an implementation.
Leonardo Campos
This is an "old" book, written in the late 90's, although it's content seems pretty actual.
I was surprised to see Real Options theory used to uphold XP's values and principles. The book is very good indeed.
I think I would have given a big 5 stars if some points like the metaphor were more deeply explored. I also consider that there are more interesting ways than estimating in Ideal Time.
Zeh Fernando
Despite the terrible name, a mind opening title for programmers and managers alike. It will take time to apply everything this book suggests, but I'm a convert already.
Kristjan Wager
If you want to get an introduction to eXtreme Programming, this is the book for you. Kent Beck explains the basics, allowing the reader to understand not only what techniques are used, but why they are used.

Ultimately, I didn't find XP the right fit for me, but this book allowed me to evaluate the method on its merits.
Piers
The first edition gets five star, seek it out. This book blew my mind. I read it over a single (delayed) train journey and virtually every page saw me going "Yes! This is just right!" The second edition marshals more facts and figures to back up the argument and anecdote and loses a great deal of its vigour in the process.
Ben
This entire series is a must read, so that you're at least knowledgeable when you come down on one side or the other of this debate (which is still ongoing after 10 years). I for one liked Explained because it broke down the patterns and team theories for people to more easily understand their rewards
Ash Moran
Awesome. Focused, insightful and balanced. I don't think I could have learnt Agile from this alone, as it's too abstract, but it really sets the bar for what you can aspire to as a software developer. Everyone involved in software should read this.
Tuba
I highlighted so many sentences from this book, which made me understand the answers provided by Extreme Programming to real world problems a developer faces. Definitely a must read for developers who live in agile software development world.
Mark
If you code, read this and take it to heart.
Stephen
This is the book that changed my programming and consulting career. It provided a jargon for a few things I was already doing, and introduced me to many ideas that have made all the difference in the years since.

André Heijstek
Aardig boek, maar niet zo goed als ik gehoopt had.
Veel van het advies is niet echt concreet, het blijft erg hangen op het niveau van grote principes. Om het concreet toe te passen is veel meer nodig dan dit.
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit for Software Development Managers
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code (Addison Wesley Signature)
  • Domain-driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Object-Oriented Software Construction (Book/CD-ROM)
  • Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Addison-Wesley Signature)
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions (Addison-Wesley Signature)
  • Ship It!
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches (Enterprise Software Development)
  • The Practice of Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Test Driven Development: By Example Planning Extreme Programming Implementation Patterns Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns JUnit Pocket Guide