Start by marking “Memories of John Lennon” as Want to Read:
Memories of John Lennon

Memories of John Lennon

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  587 ratings  ·  32 reviews
John Lennon . . . as much a part of our world today as he ever was

He touched many lives in his brief forty years, and continues to move and inspire millions more to this day. Now, invited by Yoko Ono, friends, family, and fans from all walks of life—including some of the great artists of our day—reminisce about Lennon as a visionary and friend, musician and performer, hus
Published November 29th 2005 by It Books (first published September 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Memories of John Lennon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memories of John Lennon

John Lennon by Philip NormanClapton by Eric ClaptonLife by Keith RichardsThe Beatles Anthology by The BeatlesCash by Johnny Cash
Music Biographies
167th out of 259 books — 97 voters
Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonUnbroken by Laura HillenbrandEinstein by Walter IsaacsonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerJohn Adams by David McCullough
Best Biographies
346th out of 650 books — 1,473 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristine
Put together by Yoko, this is a compilation of memories written by people who knew John Lennon or were affected by him during his life. The only reason I gave this a 4 and not a 5 was because a few of the writers were so wordy I had to skim through their entries. Overall the book was lovely. It was like looking through glasses seeing John for myself.
Amy Rollo
Sep 04, 2008 Amy Rollo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: favorites
I really didn't know much about John Lennon prior to reading this book, but wow, what an intro to his life. Getting a peek from others' accounts of him really allows you to see the impact that his presence made on this world. If only we could have more personalities in the world like that of John Lennon Ono.
Pete daPixie
Three hundred pages of memories. Contributions mainly from the 'poptasic' world, luminary artists like Ray Charles, Sir Mick Jagger, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carlos Santana and Mary Wilson to name just a few. Also mother Terri Augello and daughter Alicia Keys. There are sixties Beatle people like Cilla Black, Peter Brown, Astrid Kirchherr, Billie J. Kramer and Klaus Voormann. Tom Hayden tells how MI5 and FBI tracked Lennon on both sides of the Atlantic in the late sixties and early seventies and Jon Wie ...more
Merja Pohjola
4 stars... well, you really cannot rate people's memories can you? But I did enjoy reading most about the casual encounters with John, how he was in real life and how people related to him, and how he affected them and their lives. Realized I am not such a cuckoo after all, and if I am, I am not alone ;) Others who never met him have been affected by him all their lives... just like me... and I was so lucky to meet Yoko once... meeting her made me realize just how wrong people were about her, al ...more
Angelina Scott
Throughout reading Memories of John Lennon by Yoko Ono, I felt a lot of inspiration. John Lennon stood out among The Beatles as an inspiration and role model. For any true Beatles or John Lennon fan, I suggest reading this book. Yoko reaches out to all those that John’s life has made an impact on. This is definitely a favorite of all books that I have read. One thing I do dislike about the book is how Yoko never contributes John’s true impact on her life. In the book she states that she can simp ...more
Blair
I enjoyed the intimate stories about John. A few of them brought actual tears to my eyes. My only wish for this book would be that it had been compiled by a less biased eye. Any person other than Yoko Ono. It's easy to see why she selected THESE stories amongst the MANY I'm sure she received. Could she be any more self-serving? I have always been on the fence about the Yoko/John thing but this one tipped my favor into the "Yoko sucks" camp. Why couldn't the bullet miss him and hit her. He probab ...more
Ruth
This book includes many different people's memories about the life of John Lennon. Most of the people I don't even know, and many didn't know John well. I would have happier to read memories of Yoko Ono Lennon as she apparently knew him well and might have brought things to light the public and his fans didn't know about. I was very disappointed with it.
Sage
Few essays allowed me to feel that I was getting a glimpse of John Lennon. The one that stands out was the Mintz essay. That for me was descriptive and solid and telling of John's character.
But to read about a celebrity's memory of when Lennon was shot or when they first heard a certain song- those essays seemed like inconsequential space fillers. I was more interested in the people that knew John than people that never had met him but contributed to the book anyway.
The book was repetitive and
Colleen
A collection of memories by people, both famous and not, of John. The collection is edited by Yoko (and is therefore, I think, very pro-Yoko!). Nevertheless, it was an interesting read.
Liliana
Before reading this book I thought I knew everything there was to know about John Lennon. I was proved wrong, very wrong. And I'm glad I did read this book because despite the long perspectives and insights from all these famous people. I realised they all had the same views about the person John was. I read through each sentence carefully and I learned about the many personality traits that John Lennon had. Some stories made me laugh and some made me cry. These stories were so personal and it g ...more
Ruth
I enjoy John Lennon's music and think he was an important cultural figure, but I think this book is more suitable for die-hard Lennon fans. Edited by Yoko Ono, entries consist of essays, artwork and poems centering around Lennon. I found many of the entires redundant; the Beatles' first appearance on The Ed Sullivan show was indeed an important landmark on the landscape of rock 'n roll, but where people were and how it affected them was covered again and again (...and again), and I found myself ...more
HomeschoolGirl
I read almost all of this. To be fair, I skimmed a few pages with political subjects. Overall, it was an interesting book. We checked it out for my Dad but I opened it--just for a quick look--and ended up reading the whole thing over a period of a few days.

I enjoyed learning more about Lennon. He was interesting--he had his good and really, really horrible sides. The different testimonies were an interesting way to do this. I guess, for me, it lacked oomph. I couldn't connect with it.

Honestly,
Bethany
Included in this book are, not surprisingly, people’s memories of John Lennon. Those included range from his cousins, to close friends, to musicians, to people who never met him. They all write very well; even the people who only manage one sentence show the depths of their emotion in missing Lennon. My only issue with this book is that, with Ono being the editor, there are quite a few essays that go on and on about her greatness. Yes, I think she affected Lennon’s life and should be included. N ...more
Stephanie
Dec 05, 2007 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all music fans and romantics
Well, I'm actually still reading this (the Holidays, you know, not much time), but everytime I read a little memory from one of the Lennons' friends, or from Yoko, I get all choked up. Why can't I have an amazing romance like this?, I think! The pictures are beautiful, and the contributors are some of the greatest people of our time, and some that recently passed, Norman Mailer included.
Highly recommend it!
Melissa
This book features a collection of people's memories of John Lennon. Very few of these accounts are interesting and worth reading, however there are some interesting photographs and drawings of Lennon scattered throughout. A biography of Lennon would probably be a better place to obtain a better understanding of Lennon and his impact on the lives around him that he touched.
Brianna
I liked this book for what it was -- several glimpses at John (particularly post-Beatles) as seen through others eyes.

I wondered at the inclusion of a couple names (one in particular who has previously published what I thought to be an unflattering portrayal of John and Yoko), and I was sorry for (though didn't wonder at) the lack of a page or two from Cynthia Powell.
Cathryn Hrudicka
I am fortunate to have a copy of the I corrected proof, which may have more intimate memories by a greater variety of contributors than the published version. This, I'm giving it one or two more stars than the average Goodreads review. The proof really includes some lesser known stories that capture the essence of John's life...and I like the drawings and photos.
Lynn
As George said, It's All Too Much. Person after person tells about how much John meant to them, how they met/didn't meet him, how they loved him, how he inspired them. There are some good stories, but they're buried under all this well-meaning mush which quickly becomes repetitious.

Too bad. At half the length, it could've been much more interesting.
Helen Chevreau
Dec 08, 2009 Helen Chevreau rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people without brains
Worst book ever. she knew John Lennon better than almost anybody else, and yet believes that ALICIA KEYS(and other celebrities who didn't even know him) would have more interesting things to say about him. Yoko Ono is an idiot, and calling her the 'author' of this book would be a stretch.
Keith
Great book, the only regret is that none of the Beatles were a part of it. Mentioned, but not a part of it. But over all this is a great book.
Robert Vaughan
Made me miss the musician and poet more than I ever have. A masterful tome edited by (guess who) Yoko.
Cicely
I loved hearing different stories about the life of John Lennon, but some of his closest friends.
Ash
Some parts were beautiful and made me cry, but other parts were a bit repetitive.
Maigan
Very insightful, and containing some good, funny stories. Nicely edited by Ms. Ono.
Tyrell Warner
Wonderful collection of poems and stories related to Lennon.
Stefan94
Interesting review of 60s lifestyle, and hippie subculture...
Jasmine
REALLY GOOD BOOK.................... read it
Brian
Famous people reflect on John Lennon.
Irene
Although this was a nice tribute to John Lennon, I found it surprising that many of the contributors had never even met him. I also found it redundant when more than half the contributors began by talking about how old they were when the Beatles came to America. I actually admire Yoko as an artist, but I found this book to be very self-serving; it was as though she ONLY included essays that made her look like the be-all, end-all in John's life even though he contributed so much to the world inde ...more
Mei
Oct 12, 2009 Mei is currently reading it
ebook
  • Lennon Revealed
  • Skywriting by Word of Mouth and Other Writings
  • Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon
  • Meet the Beatles: A Cultural History of the Band That Shook Youth, Gender, and the World
  • Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970
  • The Beatles
  • A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles
  • Imagine: John Lennon
  • You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles After the Breakup
  • All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
  • Tell Me Why: The Beatles: Album By Album, Song By Song, The Sixties And After
  • Blackbird Singing: Poems and Lyrics, 1965-1999
Yoko Ono Lennon is a Japanese artist and musician. She is known for her work as an avant-garde artist and musician, and her marriage and works with world famous English musician John Lennon.
More about Yoko Ono...
Grapefruit: A Book of Instructions and Drawings Acorn Invisible Flower Yoko Ono: The Other Rooms Yoko Ono: Odyssey of a Cockroach