Start by marking “Beauty and the Beast” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,992 Ratings  ·  356 Reviews
Beauty and the Beast is one of the most classic tales ever written. A beautiful daughter dreams of meeting a handsome prince, but in order to save her father's life, she leaves home to live with a terrible, frightening beast. Though her patron is hideous, his disarming generosity slowly leads to a surprising connection. Generations of children have been fascinated by the s ...more
Published December 9th 2010 by United Holdings Group (first published 1740)

Huda Aweys
I love this story .. really :) .. and I think that: this story was able to teach -at some point- about the meaning of nobility and compassion to the children indirectly way !
بالمناسبة بعد قراءتي لألف ليلة و ليلة اكتشفت ان الجميلة و الوحش هي اقتباس لواحدة من حكاياتها :) ! كم انتي عظيمة يا الف ليلة و ليلة
:)))
Brad
Out of idle curiosity, I've lately been turning my reading to Scoutie into a discovery of the source texts for Disney's biggest films. I stumbled upon versions of both Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty that were surprisingly close to Disney's Princess movies, and we had much fun with them (I wish old Walt hadn't cut the baby-eating Ogre Queen Mum from Sleeping Beauty, though. What fun that would have been).

Our most recent read was Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve's La Belle et la Bête, the ve
Eman
Apr 28, 2016 Eman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATES:

Thanks to Rachel in the comments below, it turns out that Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve is the author of the original French version which was published in 1740, La Belle et la Bête, which is more elaborate but less famous. If anyone knows where I can get an eBook with good English translation, please be generous and kindly let me know.

Can you feel the Belle in Emma Watson? I totally can. Imagine Emma x Hermione x Belle.. All in one; all beauty and brains.. I'm SO happy they'v
Bennet
Mar 02, 2013 Bennet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels-stories
I recently found an interesting dissertation about this author, which prompted a rereading of her version of the fairy tale, one of my favorites. To the several good reviews of de Beaumont's telling, I'll add this: The emphasis tends to be on Belle's redemptive love for the beast, but his redemption depends just as much on his love for her; she stays with him because of his kindness to her. It's mutual care and respect that enable this love despite the difficulties. The lesson, girls and boys -- ...more
Mangrii
Jul 24, 2015 Mangrii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nunca había leído el cuento original, y esta ha sido una ocasión perfecta, aunque sea una versión abreviada escrita por Leprince de Beaumont. No voy a desvelar nada de la trama, pero sí que tengo que decir que tiene muchos cambios con respecto a la conocida versión de Disney, aquí Bella no es hija única y la rosa es importante, pero en otro sentido. En las apenas 50 páginas que tiene el volumen te ves sumergido en este cuento, tanto seas niño como adulto.
Un cuento lleno de magia y sobre todo, de
Meags
4 Stars

It's a tale as old as time...

See what I did there? Hehe. Seriously, though, Beauty and the Beast has always been a favourite classic fairytale of mine. I grew up absolutely obsessed with the Disney version because of reasons...

I was always crazy jealous of Belle for snagging herself the owner of the greatest make-believe library in the world. That Beast seriously has it going on!!!

Hearing that a live-action film version is on the way in 2017 was the kick I needed to finally attempt to rea
Raoofa Ibrahim
Jun 13, 2016 Raoofa Ibrahim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dead-authors
I read this story when I was 7 years .. I still remember some of my imagination about it.
and now I'm re-reading it in English.. It didn't fascinate me like it did when I was little, but It's a good story!
----
I'm excited to see the movie .. Emma watson as Beauty
Beauty and the Beast Official US Teaser Trailer
Nickolas
Apr 22, 2012 Nickolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That’s right I just read Beauty and the Beast. I’m a man too by the way. A MAN! I’m a man that wins pennants and state championship rings. I’m a man that fought in Valley Forge and later stormed the beaches of Normandy to kill Nazi’s. I’m a man that hates sissy stuff and will bench press your face off if you question otherwise. This is not a Disney book OH NO! This is not full of singing and chirping fa la la NO WAY! This is a cautionary tale for real men LIKE ME, who are seduced by pretty women ...more
Amalie
I'm beginning to wonder "the evil" in the fairy tales are really evil? It seems that all the witches and wicked fairies are the smartest women lived in these fairy-tale times. They often cast evil spells to teach wicked people to learn their faults and change, like modern-day rehab. For examples: Frog Prince (the prince himself), Sleeping Beauty (The lesson was for the parents), Beauty and Beast(for Beast).

I used to adore Disney version but this one is better. In this version, Beauty has 3 brot
Yani
Me gustó (carita feliz con una lágrima). De más está decir que terminé de leerlo un poquitín indignada por las atribuciones que se tomó Disney para cambiar la historia (y lo peor de todo: asentarla en la memoria), aunque igual tenía cierta lógica. En el cuento no hay un desarrollo de los personajes, ya que es tan breve que no da tiempo para esas cosas e importa más la moraleja. En esta versión, Bella tiene hermanos e inciden directamente en la historia, por ejemplo. De todas formas, la esencia e ...more
Marquise
It's a shorter version of Madame de Villeneuve's rendition, less than half the length, and that it's a summation shows, because Belle is less fleshed out and comes out as more archetypical than "real life."

Still, I love the ending of this version more than Villeneuve's for one reason: although in both versions Beast sheds his animalistic form in the end and turns back into a handsome prince, in Beaumont's rendition she expresses dismay at the disappareance of Beast. Which echoes what a lot of f
Chagall
Jan 21, 2015 Chagall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La fiaba non è certo quella di Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, pur vantando la traduzione di Beatrice Masini, e chi sia l’autore della riduzione del testo non è dato sapere. Le illustrazioni di Gabriel Pacheco, quelle sì sono uno splendore: non ricordo disegni più belli ispirati a La bella e la bestia. Per i collezionisti di albi illustrati un gioiello!
Barbara Ann
Dec 08, 2013 Barbara Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This rendition of the classic fairy tale is based on the original eighteenth century version. No Disney elements are found here. This original version was written and distributed widely in France to protest the marriage system of the day in which women had no right to choose or refuse a mate. The original version was a full length novel written for adults, which was later shortened.

At the beginning of the tale, the reader meets a wealthy merchant who has six sons and six daughters. They live sum
✣ Freya Wilkinson ✣
"I prefer you, just as you are, to those, who, under a human form, hide a treacherous, corrupt, and ungrateful heart."

Short and sweet. I wanted to read the original story out of curiosity because I've loved numerous retellings and in its essence it's one of my favourite stories of all time. This is the very bare bones of the classic tale.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
La historia es abreviada pero sigue manteniendo la esencia y la magia de la historia clásica. Las ilustraciones son preciosas, amplias y todas en tonos blancos y negros. Una edición preciosa y muy elegante, perfecta para cualquier regalo.
Maricarmen Estrada M
This, I believe, is the original version of the classic tale for children so popular today. The real worth of a person is her/his virtue and kindness, above wit and beauty. I enjoyed it very much.
Rachel Skye
A classic. I am actually writing a paper on Beauty and the Beast and all the tales that are well known. To be updated then!
Carol
Oct 05, 2015 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2015
I dont' remember where I've heard the story before, but it's exactly as I remember it was.
Quite typical fairy tale, the merchant who has 3 daughters, 2 of them evil as Satan himself, and the youngest one a fair, decent, honest maiden, full of virtue and selfless. And, as always, good things happen to her, and bad things to her sisters.
But it's quite a lovely fairy tale, the Beast is certainly far more decent than Disney's one. XD
Isabella
2015 reading challenge: a book with an antonym in the title (28/50)

It is nice to read the original thing after spending your entire life judging that the Disney version is the "original" version (not really, but we all gotta admit that our first experience with these fairy tales were with the Disney movies) and comparing other retellings with just the movie.

It's also nice to see what said retellings have in common with the original book (including Disney's), and what is the difference between
Liene Grišina
Feb 03, 2016 Liene Grišina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Ļoti, ļoti jauki. Lasīju ar baudu, jo ir izmantota māka tīkami savirknēt vārdus, ir mazliet stāsta, kas atdzīvina viņu pasaule, bet paliek arī klasiska literārās pasakas noskaņa. Šī, protams, ir viena no šīs pasakas populārākajām variācijām, saīsinājums, kā vēsta interneta avoti, tāpēc jūtos mazliet apmānīta, tikai tādēļ, ka šo detaļu palaidu garām pirms iesāku lasīt.
Šī pasaka man atgādina arī par visu ko, kas lasīts par slepenajiem kodiem par sieviešu apspiešanu. Proti, tādēļ, ka Skaistule i
Belle Vilers
May 24, 2014 Belle Vilers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing up this was one of my favorite fairy tales adapted by Disney, but I only knew the version by Disney. I remember one night, I saw Beauty and the Beast on TV and I thought it was the disney version. It wasnt the disney version. And What struck me was how the Beast would continually ask Beauty to be his wife. I found it strange. After reading Jeanne-Marie Laprince de Beaumont version of Beauty and the Beast I realized why.

Beauty and Beast is about human nature in its most realist form. Alt
Amanda
Mar 01, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently between novels and decided to give some of the classic fairy tales a go. What's the risk if they're free (on the Kindle) anyway? Beauty and the Beast was such a quick read! You can easily read the book in half the time it takes to watch the Disney version, so I certainly recommend it if you have the opportunity.

According to Goodreads, Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont is not the original author of Beauty and the Beast. She took author Gabrielle-Suzanne de Villeneuve's story and m
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
A classic French 18th century version (it's not the original) of the fairy tale. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourites ever since I saw the Disney movie as a child. Classic versions and reworking alike are stories I want to read. This has to be one of the better versions I've read, which goes into more detail than most. I loved the sisters' punishment!

Favourite Quotes

The definition of a monster
"Yes, yes, (said the Beast,) my heart is good, but still I am a monster."
"Among mankind, (says B
Shanu
Dec 05, 2015 Shanu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
edit : after reading other people's experience of this story, i'm starting to wonder if i did read the original version or something else altogether. I'll look further into it later on (which means probably never)

trying my best not to give this a single star.

-hated that the fairy turned belle's sisters into statues, what's the point ? they were already unhappy. Also belle forgave them in her heart so would she be happy living in a castle with her sisters turned into rock at the entrance?

-hated
Danielle
Oct 30, 2015 Danielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
What a magical tale! Quick and to the point, with beautiful descriptions, though I would have liked even more description of the beautiful castle.

The movie actually kept quite true with the original events and overall feeling, though it has that extra Disney flare with the inanimate objects coming to life. I was not missing Gaston though, he was a pain.
تماضر المهدي
I remember Mama reading this to me & my sister when we were kids so reading The Beauty & The Beast at this age has brought so many memories & i just couldn't help but smile during the whole thing :D
Neri.
Jan 14, 2016 Neri. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the most beautiful fairytales ever told. This classic story is beautiful and absolutely magical.
Cwpper David
Se supone que fue la versión escrita más difundida del cuento, pero a mí me pareció un resumen mal logrado. Obviamente no aparecen aquí los elementos de Disney, pero tampoco los de Perrault. Es decir. La autora ni siquiera explica por qué fue maldecida La Bestia. Supongo que, por requerimiento de la época, su intención fue más didáctica que artística y por eso decidió centrar la trama en la exaltación de un amor bondadoso, basado en el respeto mutuo, la virtud y el deseo de agradar.

Link de Desc
Barbie
Aug 07, 2014 Barbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de mis historias favoritas... No importa cuántos años tenga, no me cansaré de leerla <3
Miss Asima
I don't really think 'Beauty and the Beast' needs a synopsis. So, I'll just tell you what I think of this edition. :)

It's actually really good for being a kindle edition. Most kindle editions I have read are riddled with typos. This one only has a few small spelling errors. Not enough to interrupt the reading experience.

Beauty and the Beast is really my all time favorite story. I'll read any version I can get my hands on. Even though this one really is "bare bones" so to speak, it's one of my fa
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • Alaeddin And The Enchanted Lamp
  • East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • The Little Mermaid and Other Tales
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Green Fairy Book
  • Cinderella, or The Little Glass Slipper
  • Cinderella
Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, born Vaimboult was a French teacher, journalist and writer. She is the author of many classic tales for children and youth.

Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, née Vaimboult était une pédagogue, journaliste et écrivain française. Elle est l'auteur de nombreux contes classiques pour les enfants et la jeunesse.
More about Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont...

“There is many a monster who wears the form of a man; it is better of the two to have the heart of a man and the form of a monster. ” 39 likes
“NCE upon a time,” 0 likes