The Red Rose Girls: An Uncommon Story of Art and Love

The Red Rose Girls: An Uncommon Story of Art and Love

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A beautiful art book and a richly illustrated biography, The Red Rose Girls is the story of three remarkable women artists--Jessie Willcox Smith, Elizabeth Shippen Green, and Violet Oakley--who captivated early-twentieth-century society with their brilliant careers and bohemian lifestyle. Nicknamed by their mentor, the famous illustrator Howard Pyle, The Red Rose Girls liv...more
Published April 23rd 2002 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Rose Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Rose Girls

Emily
When I first learned about the publication of this book, my initial reaction was keen disappointment. I had, to a small degree, researched the lives of early 20th century illustrators Elizabeth Shippen Green and Jessie Wilcox Smith, and was captivated by them. I knew that for many years they shared a home in an idyllic old house on Philadelphia's main line with a third artist, Violet Oakley, and a fourth friend, Harriet Cozzens, who did the gardening and managed the household. I was going to wri...more
Bridget
For a book about three painters, there were definitely not enough pictures. And the odd focus on whether they were lesbians or not, well---I appreciate historical context, but to keep referring to the issue over and over instead of talking about them as painters and their work was simply annoying. Add that to the fact that the author did not make it easy to keep track of which artist was which (pick a last name or a first name, not either/or) - it was just not as good as I wanted it to be. I enj...more
thestorygirl
I came across this book at the library and was instantly drawn to the aesthetic of the cover, and then I noted the familiar name Jessie Willcox Smith, and when I flipped it open to the page that mentioned that Violet measured the Red Rose Inn property not in acres but in poetry ("four sonnets to the woods"), and I was enchanted.

A wonderful, fascinating overview of the lives, careers, and friendships of the wonderful artists/illustrators Jessie Willcox Smith, Elizabeth Shippen Green, Violet Oakle...more
Ever
A fascinating look at three early 20th-century illustrators and their works, as well as their friendship with one another. I would love to see this story become a screenplay.
Dawn
I was fascinated to learn more about Jessie Willcox Smith and her artist friends, Violet Oakley and Elizabeth Shippen Green who inhabited Red Rose Inn managed by thier friend Henrietta Cozens who had no career aspirations. Jessie was very successful and today best known for her monthly Good Housekeeping Covers for nearly 30 years and her illustrations for childrens books. One tribute to her was "nothing morbid or bitter ever came from her brush". Violet Oakley painted huge murals for the state h...more
Cindy
Beautiful picture book and bio. of turn of the century illustrators Jessie Wilcox Smith, Elizabeth Shippen Green, and Violet Oakley who set up household with Henrietta Cozens.

Their idyllic life ended with the marriage of Green. They were independent, brilliant artists whose lesbian relationships were not publicly recognized. Victorian society allowed young women to be effusively in love.

I need to see Oakley's mural in the Cuyahoga County Courthouse. It measures 15 X 41 feet and is called The co...more
Thorn MotherIssues
Other people are complaining that there's too much talk about whether or not the artists were lesbians, but I really felt like there wasn't all that much. I've known Jessie Willcox Smith's work but hadn't known about the others or the household they built, and found all of that fascinating. it's got me wondering whether we're the first lesbian family to live in our 110-year-old house!
Monique
Aug 14, 2011 Monique rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
The red rose girls were four early twentieth century women- two being successful illustrators of the time, one equally successful muralist and the fourth rose...the woman who took care of the home they all resided in. They swore allegiance to their arrangement for all time, which did last for many years. A wonderful story of community, collaboration, love and art!
Elizabeth Holtsclaw
I love everything about this book. I love the social history, women's history and art history. I even love the layout of the book. This is not a book for kindle, you need to savor the full color illustrations. Finally, I love the story. What amazing women and a sweet story of friendship and productive art careers.
Vikki
This is the story of three artist. They were Jessie Wilcox Smith, Elizabeth Shippen Green and Violet Oakley. These were artist that drew for Scribners, Colliers and Harpers magazines and other things in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I really enjoyed this book.
Nicole
A delightful, entertaining, educational book. I knew nothing about these 3 (4 counting the non-artist of the household) artists who lived together (likely, romantically) about 100 years ago, but sure did enjoy getting to know them.
Mary Harju
This is one of the few books in print about Violet Oakley and her mural painting. The real boon of this book is the illustrations. Also covered is the art of Jesse Wilcox Smith and Elizabeth Shippen Green.
Jess Poland
A beautiful book and a wonderful depiction of talented and amazing women. The author did a fantastic job researching the subjects and telling their tale. They lived in Mt Airy!!
this book gave an interesting insight to the development on women in the world of art and some the challenges they faced trying get an education in this field.
Truda
I loved this book. It was the true story of a group of female artists in the early 1900s. The writing is very academic, but the subject matter was fascinating.
Melinda Jane Harrison
Love this. Had it for a while and never read it, although I browsed the pages. Excellent. I love artist and writer communities.
Carole
To know this book is to know me, in many ways.
Meena Gupta
The emerging women's right movement
Heather
Beautiful and well written.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Suanne
Suanne marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Cheryl Scott
Cheryl Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Ned Gray
Ned Gray marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Ginny
Ginny is currently reading it
May 03, 2014
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cecilia Beaux: A Modern Painter in the Gilded Age The Essential: Thomas Eakins Americans Abroad: J. C. Leyendecker And The European Academic Influence On American Illustration