Start by marking “Blind Man's Alley” as Want to Read:
Blind Man's Alley

Blind Man's Alley

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Duncan Riley, a rising legal star, is defending his firm’s major client, Roth Properties, after a fatal accident on a downtown construction site. Meanwhile, he represents a helpless young man accused of a murder in a housing development being built by . . . Roth Properties. Caught in a web of power, money, and influence, Duncan must balance the interests of his firm, the d ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Vintage (first published August 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blind Man's Alley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blind Man's Alley

Kathryn
I won this book on First Reads! I can't wait to get it and to read it!
Suzanne
I won this book through a good reads give away. I entered the contest because it looked like it would be an interesting murder mystery, and aside from a few dissapointments, it was.

This book was enjoyable, once I pushed through all the legal jargon in the beginning of the story. I have read lawyer books before, such as works by John Grisham, but this one just seemed to have a lot more legal wording.

However, it was worth enduring because about half way through the book, it really picked up the p
Martin Baggs
Justin Peacock’s second book paints a compelling picture of the corruption that is rife in the construction business in New York City. He interweaves the story of a young Puerto Rican accused of murdering a security guard with the accidental death of three construction workers when the floor of a tower collapses.

The hero, lawyer Duncan Riley, is involved in both cases. He is pro bono attorney defending the accused murderer while being on the high-power team defending Simon Roth and his family, t
Georgiann Hennelly
When a concrete floor three hundred feet up in the Aurora Tower development in Soho collapses hurling three workers to their deaths.Roth properties the developer ( owner Simon Roth ) faces a vast tangle of legal problems including allegations of mob connections. His long time lawyers at Blake and Wolcott an elite midtown law firm are assigned the task of cleaning up the mess. Much of the work goes to Duncan Riley a smart, cynical, seasoned associate as a result he falls into the orbit of Leah Ro ...more
Darcy Odden
Monica
Awesome!! Blind Man's Alley is a book that kept me riveted to my seat and my eyes glued to the pages. Blind Man's Alley is a book with so many twists, turns, story lines, character plots and interaction to ultimately come to the final conclusion of this book.

Blind Man's Alley is a novel about corruption, murder, back stabbing and just all around total human nature. While reading this book I could see this being true and plausible. I am not current on all laws for New York or even laws in general
drey
Justin Peacock's Blind Man's Alley is a legal thriller that will satisfy the legal-thriller fan... If you can make it through the first 20-30 pages, that is. I liked it, but thought it took a while to get up to cruising speed. 0-to-60 did not occur in 5.1 seconds here! Then again, good things come to those who wait. *grin*

Dustin Riley is a nice guy--as nice as a successful lawyer can be, anyway. He's on the up-and-coming path at work, with partnership just around the corner. He's just got to ge
L.A.
Duncan Riley has worked his way to the top of his profession and is at that place in his career as an attorney to be accepted as a partner. He has been groomed for the part by his mentor and brought in on many of the top concerns involving the very top clients of the firm, including Roth properties. They are working on a libel suit involving a story in the newspaper and Duncan is deposing the witness's, including the journalist as well as members of Roth properties. A section of one of Roth's h ...more
Monica
I won this book on goodreads firstread giveaways. This is an enjoyable book about a young lawyer on the track to become partner at a large New York law firm, who finds himself involved in two seemingly separate cases: the defense of a family owned development company which finds itself in a bind when three men are killed in a construction accident on their project gentrifying public housing, and a young man whose family is being evicted from that housing complex. Many aspects of the story are pr ...more
Steve
I really enjoyed this read! It's about intrigue, greed and treachery in the commercial real estate business. Justin Peacock is an excellent writer who knows how to build suspense.
Three workers are killed while building a SoHo condo development and the developer is represented by the prestigious law firm of Blake and Wolcott. Duncan Reilly is a lawyer at the firm who is also working a pro bono case involving a young man and his grandmother who are facing eviction. Soon the simple eviction case turns very complicated when the man is arrested for murder. The story involves many different story lines that must connect and be resolved. This book was not very fast paced and I ...more
Day-v
Loved this book. Character development is slow, but enticing. can't wait to read his upcoming novel!
Kitty
After a construction accident in which 3 men died, Roth Properties is being sued. It's a family millionaire business with father, son, and daughter officers of the company. Duncan Riley, up and coming attorney, is a player in their defense. When the daughter, Leah, comes on to him, he is wary. Is it a ploy? Murders keep happening to witnesses. When Duncan meets a feisty reporter intent on covering the story, his world starts to crumble. And his pro bono tenant client is accused of murder. The sc ...more
Blue
I had a hard time with this one. It was long and not really my thing, I suppose. I found the subject matter and the legal language a bit too dense and so it was hard to get into the murder mystery part. I only read it because I got the book in first reads and so I wanted to give it a try and be able to say something about it. I think people who like murder mysteries and do not mind some heavy duty legal jargon, especially at the beginning, will enjoy this book.
Note to self: Don't enter giveaways
Erin
I received a copy of this as part of a Goodreads first reads giveaway. While not in a genre that I often read, I was glad I gave this one a look. The intertwining of legal aspects made it a bit more challenging than your average thriller, and main character, Duncan Riley, was also not your average jaded lawyer figure - both deviations from the standard were very much appreciated. Still, I felt that the plot at the end was too loosely drawn together.... lots of buildup, and not enough bang.
Gail
I won a copy of this book through a Goodreads First Reads givaway.
Mysteries and legal thrillers are one of my favorite genres and I read a lot of them. This book started out slowly and I had to make myself keep going back to it, but I'm glad I did...about half-way through the story really picks up! I'm not going to recap the plot, but as the characters and story develop and connections are made, the plot lines dovetail nicely. It's an interesting mystery and an entertaining read.
Kimberly Morghan
This was a great legal thriller with a bit of detective novel thrown in. I liked the main character and how he matured and developed through the story. The character of the reporter was also good, and was a good contrast to the other main female character in the story. It was interesting seeing the cover-up unearthed, though sometimes it was a bit tricky remembering which characters already knew which facts and which characters still needed to discover them. All-in-all a solid read.
Shannon Coward
I won this book through good reads giveaway. It took me a while to read it because there is so much legal jargon. I had to read it in small doses to be able to absorb all of the information. I typically love to read these types of books, especially by John Grisham. About halfway to three fourths of the way through,Peacock really started to hold my attention. I love the direction he took the main character. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends.
Sara Townsend
I haven't read a legal thriller in years and let me just say I couldn't put this one down! Peacock does a great job of grabbing the reader and never lets go as he leads you though a world of power and money most of us can't even fathom. As someone who grew up in NY, I recognized the city through his story. A lot of authors try to tell NYC stories, but a lot can't pull it off.

This is a really fun story that I highly recommend!
Sue
I just received this book on 8/5/2010. I won it in a Goodreads First Reads givaway.

It started out a little slow, with meeting the characters and the legalese, but soon picked up the pace. I enjoyed the mulitple plot threads and how everything was intertwined. By the time I got to Part 3, I found it almost impossible to put down. Definately a good book! I give it 4 of 5 stars.
Ashley Lockhart
The beginning was a little slow, but about half way through the book, it really started to pick up. Peacock did a great job with character development and this is definitely one of the best legal thrillers I've read in a long time. Great book, but could've shortened the beginning stuff and made the book easier to get through.
Mary Beth
This is an exceptional legal thriller. The characters were real in their good-ness and evil-ness. I really liked how Justin Peacock gave such exact portrayals of New York; whether the projects, the clubs, or the extravagant high-rises. Great story. Thanks to Goodreads for sending me such an enjoyable book!
Carol
I read this book for the "2013 Just For Fun Challenge" which encourages reading a book a month without doing a review. Despite that I must say that I loved this book. If you love legal mysteries I know you will too.
Andrea
It's been a while since I read a legal mystery, so I quite enjoyed this one. An interesting plot with a satisfying conclusion - can't ask for more than that.
Renee
Superb Legal Thriller . . .
Mike
Great Summer read!! Great story, I was captivated till the very end!! A book to put on anyone's reading list the likes Mysteries.
Dee
Aug 02, 2010 Dee added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
***I won this book as part of a Goodreads FirstReads giveaway. Review to follow when the book arrives***
Hrn1947
a look at big time real estate developers in nyc. ending left too much unresolved.
Krystina Robinson
Won this book from the giveaway's section! Excited to read it. Thank you goodreads :)
  • Hades
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • First Degree
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Hunter's Moon
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Bleak History
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Aftermath
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
  • Ravish: The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty
  • Under Darkness (Darkwing Chronicles, #5)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #8)
  • True Confections
  • Raising Jake
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
I am the author of the novels A Cure for Night and Blind Man's Alley. I received an MFA from Columbia and a law degree from Yale. I live in Brooklyn.
More about Justin Peacock...
A Cure for Night Blind Man's Alley A Cure for Night