A Commonplace Book of the Weird: The Untold Stories of H.P. Lovecraft

A Commonplace Book of the Weird: The Untold Stories of H.P. Lovecraft

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Upon his untimely death, H.P. Lovecraft, the early twentieth-century master of "weird fiction", left behind descriptions of 221 unwritten stories. Some were only a few ambiguous words long, others were complete plot outlines, and all of them died with their author. Now, 70 years later, writers from all over the country have come together to bring these untold stories to li...more
Published October 18th 2010 by Commonplace Books

Joey
As mixed a bag as a bag can be. The Joseph Fink novella which ends the collection is excellent and there are a couple that are pretty good. The rest are either bad or entirely forgettable.
Tepintzin
I wanted to love this book. I'm already a devoted listener of "Welcome to Night Vale" and this book is promoted at the end of every episode.

The premise is that each person received an unused idea from HP Lovecraft (he left a list) and wrote a story based on it. Unfortunately, the majority of the stories are surrealistic, overly-styled, and reminded me of a college literary magazine.

There are a couple of scary gems in the dross, including Fink's own story, which is the last in the collection, bu...more
Ross Holmes
As most people will tell you: this collection is hit-and-miss. But the "hits" are memorable enough for me to call this a good collection of stories.

Joseph Fink's novella "Relative Damnation" is the clear standout in my opinion, which should not be a surprise, given the writing talent he's already demonstrated in the Night Vale podcasts (and also the fact that he had more space to develop a story than any of the other writers). But "Levittown (36. Disintegration)" by Mark Farr stands out as the m...more
Louis Mynhardt
Great concept. Some of the stories I dis not get, but there were a few good ones too. The list of Lovecraft's ideas at the end of the book is something fantastic.
Rebecca Gibson
as with all short story collections, the stories vary in quality, but here the quality is better than most. the contributors clearly put a lot of effort into their offerings, and always in the spirit of the Weird, slyly tipping their hats to Lovecraft, which I loved.
Christin
Some are much (much) better than others but the ones that are good are really good. Unfortunately, the best one is the first one so it really raises the bar.

But that's my preference, your mileage may vary.
Michael
A fantastic premise leads to a very, very mixed bag of stories.
Theo
A mixed bag, as is usually the case with multiple-author anthologies. Fantastic concept though, I'd love to see a second volume with more of the same.
Erv
Erv is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Janna
Janna marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Kaz
Kaz marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Juno
Juno marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Sarah LeFay
Sarah LeFay marked it as to-read
Taylor Bones
Taylor Bones marked it as to-read
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Kiran Pandit
Kiran Pandit marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Emily Standridge
Emily Standridge marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Mitchell Wassink
Mitchell Wassink marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Fred Condo
Fred Condo marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
E.M. Taggart
E.M. Taggart marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Melanie Axelrod
Melanie Axelrod is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Joseph created and co-writes WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE. He is a writer and editor, and the co-owner of Commonplace Books. Awhile back he moved from California to Brooklyn. Subsequently, events unfolded.

More about Joseph Fink...
What It Means To Be A Grown-Up: The Complete and Definitive Answer

“see, now, that it was wrong for me to curse your particular blood to a diseased eternity of suffering. In an attempt at magnanimity I extend an apology and retract my sanguinary execration.” 0 likes