3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  11 reviews
These are the gifts brought across the ocean to Korea: Leather gloves. An apron with pockets like flowers. A book with pictures and simple words. What is given in return? Simple gifts like these--and so much more.
Janet S. Wong invites us to join her on the trip back home, revealing that even when family members speak different languages, there is still much they can share...more
Published September 1st 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

(NS) Heatherk
How interesting...this book was not listed on goodreads.com so I had to manually add the book to the collection.

Based on Wong's own life experiences of traveling back to her mother and father's home overseas, the author does a nice job of incorporating the Korean language into this book. Everyday chores such as feeding the family's pigs, shopping in the outdoor market for fresh vegetables, and playing a game of hato are all brought to life as the reader learns about the Korean culture. The impo...more
Haley Gawel
This book talks about the journey of a girl and her mother back to Korea. She there gets the chance to meet her extended family and Korean culture. The illustrations in the book speak for themselves and show culture that I think add to the books plot. I really enjoyed seeing the girls attitude towards certain scenarios, and thought it was interesting to see a different viewpoint of things. The girl shows respect for her family, and I think that can be a great learning tool for children to show t...more
Patricia
Janet S. Wong

What better way to introduce the reader to one’s culture than to take them home with you to see where you, or your mother, grew up: the place where Grandmother and Grandfather have continued the daily routine of life.

This very quiet memoir brings us in full circle. It begins with Janet and her mother offering her aunt, Grandmother, and Grandfather gifts from America, and receiving hugs in return. It ends with Janet and her mother giving hugs in return for gifts fro...more
Esther
Published in 2000 by Harcourt Children's Books
Interest Level: 3rd-7th Grade

This book chronicles the journey of a little girl and her mother back to Korea where she meets her extended family and Korean culture. The illustrations are truly culturally specific and the story is about family and giving gifts. Additionally, the different activities and reactions of the girl are interesting and express a respect for her culture. I enjoyed looking at the illustrations and reading the descriptions that W...more
Ashley Correll
This story is about a little girl and her mom who takes a trip back to Korea to visit her grandparents and her aunt. She calls her grandmother Halmoni, her grandfather Haraboji, and her aunt Imo in her native language to show the closeness of teh Korean culture. It was the first time this little girl visits her native land and living a farm life. She gets to feed teh pig, goes to teh market to buy fresh produce, and she gets to watch her Haraboji sandwiching persimmons.
Jacki
A girl and her mother buy gifts for the family they are going to visit in China. The girl helps her grandfather in the morning with the fire. She feeds the pigs before shopping for food with her grandmother. She helps make dinner and sew winter clothes. The family spends time together until it is time for the girl and her mother to go back home. They get gifts for home before they leave.
Simone
A young Korean American daughter and her mother take a trip to Korea to visit their family. Students with family that lives in various countries may have similar stories. I enjoyed reading about a family sharing stories and bonding over a game of cards and trip to the outdoor market. This reminds me of the joy and excitement I felt when I flew to France to meet my grandparents for the first time!
Lindsey
A nice story about a Korean American going with her mother to visit her Korean family in rural South Korea. Overall, I liked the story, but sometimes the multicultural part of it seemed a bit forced. It was a story more about Korean life than what it means to come to a country you only know through your mother. The illustrations were okay, but I thought they could have been better.
Abbey Smith
This book was just OK. It is full of detailed information and vocabulary that would not be developmentally appropriate for the students I teach. However, it is a touching story. It is quite long and wordy, so I wouldn't suggest reading it aloud all in one setting. I would also need to teach background information/knowledge to help the students understand the meaning of the story.
Karelle Royal
A story about a girl's trip to Korea where she learns about her mother's ancestors.
S/S: great book to use in a lesson on cultures around the world.
Teaches about universal family love.
Art: students can make a collage with artifacts or pictures form magazines that represents their culture.
Laree Brown
This is a great informational book about the Korean author's trip back home; but is told their her daughter's perspective. I would have this book in the multicultural text set in my classroom library and it is also a good resource for teaching a unit on family.
Ryan
memoir study book - this was a cute story about a little girl's trip back to Korea with her family and what they take and what they bring back.
Tiffany Jones
Tiffany Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Amanda Funnell
Amanda Funnell marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Susie Morissette
Susie Morissette marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Hally
Hally marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Beth
Beth added it
Nov 17, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Janet S. Wong was born in Los Angeles, and grew up in Southern and Northern California. As part of her undergraduate program at UCLA, she spent her junior year in France, studying art history at the Université de Bordeaux. When she returned from France, Janet founded the UCLA Immigrant Children's Art Project, a program focused on teaching refugee children to express themselves through art.

After gr...more
More about Janet S. Wong...
The Dumpster Diver A Suitcase of Seaweed and Other Poems Apple Pie Fourth of July This Next New Year Minn and Jake