Start by marking “The 12 Week Year” as Want to Read:

The 12 Week Year

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  64 reviews
5 hrs and 17 mins

The guide to shortening your execution cycle down from one year to 12 weeks

Most organizations and individuals work in the context of annual goals and plans; a 12-month execution cycle. Instead, The 12 Week Year avoids the pitfalls and low productivity of annualized thinking. This book redefines your "year" to be 12 weeks long. In 12 weeks, there just isn'
Nook, 63 pages
Published February 17th 2009 by SB Press LLC. (first published January 1st 208)

To ask other readers questions about The 12 Week Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 12 Week Year

Brian Walker
Great premise "The 12 Week Year," but save yourself the time and the $23 because the book is oversimplified and repetitious. Read the title, read the subtitle, and execute. There. That's it. Send me the $23.
josh
Sep 14, 2013 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to josh by: Shelf @ UAPL
Nothing new - goal setting, accountability, breaking visions into smaller tasks, short-term goals / horizons in service of long-term goals.

It reminds me of all the different books & techniques to knit socks. For all intents and purposes - they're the same thing, the only difference is marketing & a tiny novelty to hook you... I should probably stop reading business / finance books for that reason. All the same basics with different presentations / levels of intricacy in guidance.

The only
Belal Khan
This is a must have "time management" book. This belongs right along side titles by authors David Allen, Steven Covey, and Tim Ferris. This book is an excellent follow up to Sh Muhammad Alshareef's "Visionaire" workshop.

Excellent method of compressing your yearly plans into 12 weeks and celebrating the successes like you would at the end of the year. Only reason I didn't give this book 5-stars is because their vision setting section is weak. However, that may be unfair since I'm comparing an NLP
Sergei_kalinin
Довольно слабая книга по тайм-менеджменту, в которой авторы пытаются оригинальничать, выдавая систему квартального планирования за очередную супер-новую "волшебную таблетку" для достижения успеха. Много банальностей, и лишь отдельные проблески интересных идей.

Основные идеи книги, плюсы и минусы в подробной рецензии в моём блоге: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2014/05/...
Fellini
Краткое содержание книги примерно такое: "Чтобы корова меньше ела и больше давала молока - её нужно меньше кормить и больше доить". Автор предлагает укоротить жизненный цикл примерно вчетверо и каждую неделю проживать так же насыщенно, как мы привыкли проживать месяц. Откуда при этом должны появляться силы на покорение новых вершин и время, в которое должно вместиться планирование, оценка и групповая поддержка действий - мне непонятно.
Лишний раз прочитать про пользу организации труда невредно, в
Jeremy
This was a really good book on goal-setting and goal-achieving. I don't think that there's anything especially revolutionary in here, but I think this book definitely combines the best practices of all the various books I've read or been exposed to on this topic. Having a shorter focus than the typical year plan has definitely been transformative in my life (when I've applied it), and tying big picture visions to weekly actions is key.

My only hang-ups with the book were its' decidedly business b
Jerrod Carter
I like books on self-improvement, and this time management book, I think, will be quite helpful. I plan to take the concrete steps the book describes and apply them to my weeks and see what improved results I get. With only 168 hours in a week, and an astonishing number of those sleeping, I'd like to get more out of my conscious time. I'll be back in 13 or 14 weeks to update this review based on the first trial run I get from the book.
Garland Vance
This is the best book that I have read on goal-setting and accomplishment. Moran provides a comprehensive guide to setting short term goals that are connected to long term visions. The premise of the book is that people generally procrastinate on their goals and usually give no more than 3 months of concentrated focus to accomplishing their goals. The 12 Week Year system helps you (1) concentrate for a short 3 month period of time; (2) measure your goals using lead and lag indicators; (3) and bu ...more
Robert McElmurry
This book is largely a sales pitch for a service website. To be fair, there are some useful ideas, but not enough to warrant an additional purchase.
Orsayor
Listen to Audiobook...
Jim Lyke
Most of the book seems like a bunch of tips you can get from other self-help/get organized type books, but there’s a couple of really big interesting ideas. The first of these is the notion of “de-annualization”, the idea of getting away from this working toward the end of a long year, having a long lull, gearing up for another whole year. Instead, we artificially create a shorter year where the tempo is faster, the ramp-up, and ramp-down is faster. The idea of not conforming to a traditional te ...more
Annie
While this is focused a lot on business, it's also very applicable to personal goals. I've just finished my second 12 week year, so I am actually using it. And while I don't follow 100% of the steps, I improve my process each time and am feeling more focused on getting where I want with my two 3-5 year goals that I selected. Unlike a lot of self-help type books, this one has a lot of practical process and steps in it, and I think that's why it clicked with me rather than just get read and ignore ...more
Sandie
Loved it! It has changed my thinking about goal setting & goal reaching.

I first learned about this book a few weeks ago. I was watching a recorded webinar when the concept was mentioned. It made perfect sense especially after learning more about it.

Yes you can say "OK I'm going to divide my year up into 4 'years' & get started" but if you're like me, the book will make all the difference in the world.

Like most folks I've done goals for years. Saying I want to do X, Y & Z. Not only d
Michele Defilippo
Terrific reminder of the power of goal setting, accountability, and how outcomes are determined only by actions, not knowledge. Is this book original, no. Many books teach these principles. The power in this book lies in its step-by-step system to define, execute, measure, and finally achieve a goal in 12 short weeks. The book is short and to the point, just like the 12-week system itself. A good read.
Irene
"As you read this book, it won't take long for you to realize there's a lot more to be gained from us than we can fit into just 63 short pages." TRUE STORY. That being said, I can confidently give this book 5 stars for the concepts delivered and the inspiration it gives to get started on implementing the 12-week idea. If it was any longer than 63 pages with the same amount of content, the star rating would quickly diminish for me. This a very quick read and directs you to the source of where to ...more
Farshad Asl
Procrastination costs money. 12 week year will help you to shift your mindset from annualized thinking to someone with urgency. It's a good book for people with a clear vision. Enjoy!!!

~FA
Jacqui Allen
This book has a lot of great ideas for becoming more efficient - lots of practical and easy to implement systems and processes. At the moment I am not sure it is a book I will take advantage of however as I am still figuring out what I need to do and feel it is a bit hard to become super efficient when I don't have any particular things to be efficient for.

But, I can see myself coming back to this book when I am ready for a good kick up the butt to allow me to achieve much more in 12 weeks than
Paul
This is an interesting concept. In a typical year there is a surge near the end to reach objectives. In this system, the year becomes 12 weeks and each week a month and the surges are more frequent, the objectives always closer. There are other parts to the system that are interesting as well. It is not quarterly goal setting; it's more of a new paradigm for laying out goals and objectives. I found it well worth the read.
Audrey Flack
I appreciated that this book is focused on execution. The information isn't new per se, but it was packaged in such a way that I was able to create my own plan easily over the weekend and feel confident that I can execute it. I've tried systems like GTD before, and found that I spent so much time on the planning and creation of the system that I'd get overwhelmed. The 12-week year wasn't that.

The concept of assigning points to a limited number of critical tactics, and aiming for 85% achievement
Jeff Chen
May 10, 2015 Jeff Chen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneur or someone who starts a new project
The simplest and most effective productive read you will read ... When you focus on quarterly results and weekly process instead of a typical year-long "wishes", everything changes and moves forward at an unpredictable rate!
Monique Marquardt
I give it 5 stars because after reading this book, I immediately put plans into action to have a stellar year at work. At the end of that year, the results mirrored the plan. This book works!
Anna Epishcheva
liked the idea of the book (and already totally changed my former year-planning process, this 12 week period sounds more natural and more digestible), but the book itself might be 4x shorter
Susan
REALLY skimmed this book, after carefully reading the first few chapters. Very repetitive, but found the various anecdotes to be helpful. Love the premise - excited to give it a try!
Palak
Beneficial, motivational book. If you like motivational books, then this is a must read. This book is going to be beneficial to only those who are going to implement this "12 Weeks" strategy. Let us see where I go ;) Fingers crossed :)
Dave Bolton
Nothing particularly new here, but may be a good motivator if you're feeling stale. I would say the main takeaways are that short feedback loops and laser focus are critical to success.
Morris Nutt
simple and effective

Straight forward. Step by step easy to implement plan. Key takeaway: have a great system of goal achievement and implement immediately.
Aksu
This book will make you think about the goals your life. It gives new insight into achieving them. I enjoyed this new idea of shorter periods for everything.
Eric
The most interesting premise is to stop planning and executing a year at a time, but instead, shorten up and hit big goals faster. Definitely worth the read.
Carie L
it was good but they could have explained the entire book in a couple of pages instead of repeating everything so much.
Joseph McBee
This book will blow your face off concerning goals, productivity, and leaving your comfort zone to achieve what you want to achieve. It is filled with excellent advice, as well as best practices and practical measures you can take to be more productive in your personal and professional life.

You can make immediate application of the book's advice and tips to your own goal setting and achievement system, or you can adopt the book's system outright. It is primarily designed for work and even has h
How has this book changed your life? 1 11 Jan 15, 2011 12:14PM
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • LIFE
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • The Lombardi Rules: Twenty-Six Lessons from Vince Lombardi--The World's Greatest Coach
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • Toughen Up!
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude...and You Change Your Life!
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
Periodization: 12 Weeks to Breakthrough- A Guide to Creating Results through Focus, Commitment and Accountability 12 Week Year, The: Get More Done in 12 Weeks Than Others Do in 12 Months Agora é a sua vez

“the number-one thing that you will have to sacrifice to be great, to achieve what you are capable of, and to execute your plans, is your comfort.” 0 likes
“Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.” —Robert K. Greenleaf” 0 likes