Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The 12 Week Year” as Want to Read:
The 12 Week Year
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The 12 Week Year

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,141 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
5 hrs and 17 mins

The guide to shortening your execution cycle down from one year to 12 weeks

Most organizations and individuals work in the context of annual goals and plans; a 12-month execution cycle. Instead, The 12 Week Year avoids the pitfalls and low productivity of annualized thinking. This book redefines your "year" to be 12 weeks long. In 12 weeks, there just isn'
...more
Nook, 63 pages
Published February 17th 2009 by SB Press LLC. (first published January 1st 2009)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The 12 Week Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 12 Week Year

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Brian Walker
Jul 31, 2013 Brian Walker rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Great premise "The 12 Week Year," but save yourself the time and the $23 because the book is oversimplified and repetitious. Read the title, read the subtitle, and execute. There. That's it. Send me the $23.
josh
Sep 11, 2013 josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to josh by: Shelf @ UAPL
Nothing new - goal setting, accountability, breaking visions into smaller tasks, short-term goals / horizons in service of long-term goals.

It reminds me of all the different books & techniques to knit socks. For all intents and purposes - they're the same thing, the only difference is marketing & a tiny novelty to hook you... I should probably stop reading business / finance books for that reason. All the same basics with different presentations / levels of intricacy in guidance.

The only
...more
Daniel Threlfall
Jan 11, 2016 Daniel Threlfall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The big idea of the 12 Week Year is that you should envision each 12 weeks as a single year, set big goals, and achieve those goals.

It's an outstanding concept, and one that Keren and I have been working towards. Before she even heard of the 12 Week Year, Keren created an elegant and powerful system for achieving massive results in 90-day periods of time, and launched a group that is pioneering the method.

Moran's approach is highly tactical, and he explains a system for setting, following, and
...more
Belal Khan
Jul 18, 2013 Belal Khan rated it really liked it
This is a must have "time management" book. This belongs right along side titles by authors David Allen, Steven Covey, and Tim Ferris. This book is an excellent follow up to Sh Muhammad Alshareef's "Visionaire" workshop.

Excellent method of compressing your yearly plans into 12 weeks and celebrating the successes like you would at the end of the year. Only reason I didn't give this book 5-stars is because their vision setting section is weak. However, that may be unfair since I'm comparing an NLP
...more
Sergei_kalinin
Довольно слабая книга по тайм-менеджменту, в которой авторы пытаются оригинальничать, выдавая систему квартального планирования за очередную супер-новую "волшебную таблетку" для достижения успеха. Много банальностей, и лишь отдельные проблески интересных идей.

Основные идеи книги, плюсы и минусы в подробной рецензии в моём блоге: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2014/05/...
Robert McElmurry
Apr 15, 2015 Robert McElmurry rated it it was ok
This book is largely a sales pitch for a service website. To be fair, there are some useful ideas, but not enough to warrant an additional purchase.
Emma Sea
Apr 20, 2017 Emma Sea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
requested via library
Alia Makki
Feb 08, 2017 Alia Makki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know why a lot of the reviews on Goodreads are brutal about this. It’s true that a lot of the ideas have been stated more elaborately elsewhere. But to actually come up with the challenge that 90 days are enough? To write a 200-page book on the subject? On an idea that is so simple?

Of course it’s annoying to spend $23 on such an easy idea. It’s committing for three months that’s hard.

Here’s the thing, our brains are trolls. They need all the help they can get to stick to any plan. Wheth
...more
Fellini
Mar 30, 2015 Fellini rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Краткое содержание книги примерно такое: "Чтобы корова меньше ела и больше давала молока - её нужно меньше кормить и больше доить". Автор предлагает укоротить жизненный цикл примерно вчетверо и каждую неделю проживать так же насыщенно, как мы привыкли проживать месяц. Откуда при этом должны появляться силы на покорение новых вершин и время, в которое должно вместиться планирование, оценка и групповая поддержка действий - мне непонятно.
Лишний раз прочитать про пользу организации труда невредно, в
...more
James
Oct 19, 2016 James rated it did not like it
year

noun
1. the time taken by the earth to make one revolution around the sun.
2. the period of 365 days (or 366 days in leap years) starting from January 1st used for reckoning time in ordinary circumstances.
3. 12 weeks. Apparently. Because some marketing bozo said so.
Vlasta
Feb 27, 2017 Vlasta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tenhle systém prostě musím vyzkoušet. Jen korekruru ta knížka zřejmě postrádá. Ale jinak super nakopávač :)
Ryan Morton
May 04, 2016 Ryan Morton rated it it was amazing
A book I wish I'd read sooner.

Over the years, I've accomplish a lot and I've developed processes for goal achievement, but this book and the plan it presents took my productivity up a notch. It boils down to visioning, planning, doing, evaluating, and supporting (yourself and others). I've had the tendency to just dive in and get things done, which works in the short term, but has limitations in the long-haul. I have todo lists (I use trello), but this is more of a time-bounded goal-oriented app
...more
Jeremy
Jan 14, 2014 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity, life
This was a really good book on goal-setting and goal-achieving. I don't think that there's anything especially revolutionary in here, but I think this book definitely combines the best practices of all the various books I've read or been exposed to on this topic. Having a shorter focus than the typical year plan has definitely been transformative in my life (when I've applied it), and tying big picture visions to weekly actions is key.

My only hang-ups with the book were its' decidedly business b
...more
Garland Vance
This is the best book that I have read on goal-setting and accomplishment. Moran provides a comprehensive guide to setting short term goals that are connected to long term visions. The premise of the book is that people generally procrastinate on their goals and usually give no more than 3 months of concentrated focus to accomplishing their goals. The 12 Week Year system helps you (1) concentrate for a short 3 month period of time; (2) measure your goals using lead and lag indicators; (3) and bu ...more
Jack Lamb
Aug 04, 2016 Jack Lamb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 12 week year is ultimately a book about getting things done. It is a system to plan, execute, and evaluate your actions. The goal is to empower you to consistently execute a few critical tasks and strategies that give the most success. The 12 week timeframe is essential to the system as it demands consistent action over a short period to achieve a goal. I find this very helpful, and ultimately it is much easier to sustain activity over 12 weeks than 12 months. If the book were just a simple ...more
Annie
Dec 29, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this is focused a lot on business, it's also very applicable to personal goals. I've just finished my second 12 week year, so I am actually using it. And while I don't follow 100% of the steps, I improve my process each time and am feeling more focused on getting where I want with my two 3-5 year goals that I selected. Unlike a lot of self-help type books, this one has a lot of practical process and steps in it, and I think that's why it clicked with me rather than just get read and ignore ...more
J
Jul 25, 2015 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The strategies in this book are easy to understand and easy to implement. I gave a few of them a try and they worked. I am sufficiently impressed with the results of two weeks worth of work in my exercise regimen that I am jumping in for my first 12-week plan for work.

It strikes me that the naysayers posting comments either didn't read the book to completion, or their resistance to change interferes with their ability to take a more active roles I their own self improvement.

I say this because th
...more
Michele Defilippo
Nov 23, 2013 Michele Defilippo rated it it was amazing
Terrific reminder of the power of goal setting, accountability, and how outcomes are determined only by actions, not knowledge. Is this book original, no. Many books teach these principles. The power in this book lies in its step-by-step system to define, execute, measure, and finally achieve a goal in 12 short weeks. The book is short and to the point, just like the 12-week system itself. A good read.
Jerrod Carter
Feb 15, 2015 Jerrod Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like books on self-improvement, and this time management book, I think, will be quite helpful. I plan to take the concrete steps the book describes and apply them to my weeks and see what improved results I get. With only 168 hours in a week, and an astonishing number of those sleeping, I'd like to get more out of my conscious time. I'll be back in 13 or 14 weeks to update this review based on the first trial run I get from the book.
Cory Huff
Nov 19, 2015 Cory Huff rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-greats
Best explanation of I've read on how to break your goals down into bite-size chunks and follow through on them to completion.

The essential idea isn't novel. Set specific, actionable goals and break them down into steps. Where 12 Week Year differs is a specific framework for how to think about your leading indicators, accountability, and time blocking.
Orsayor
Feb 27, 2015 Orsayor rated it really liked it
Listen to Audiobook...
Farshad Asl
Aug 19, 2012 Farshad Asl rated it really liked it
Procrastination costs money. 12 week year will help you to shift your mindset from annualized thinking to someone with urgency. It's a good book for people with a clear vision. Enjoy!!!

~FA
Debbie
Feb 12, 2017 Debbie rated it liked it
3.5 stars
This book has a great message but it got a little repetitive at the end. Brian and Michael walk you through each step so a lot of the points seem obvious. I had numerous "so that's why all my plans to change never worked" moments. The emotional cycle of change described my previous efforts dead on. I will be applying the 12 week year to my life. Fingers crossed I can avoid the common pitfalls.
Deanna Kluesner
Jan 29, 2017 Deanna Kluesner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye-opening

This book was reality of what I need to do in order to be great. It breaks down goals and accomplishments in a manageable form. I highly recommend this book.
DrewnStef Broere
Nov 27, 2016 DrewnStef Broere rated it really liked it
Love the idea of a 12-week year, but it seems eerily similar to the business practice of quarterly reports & goals . . .
Mairie
Dec 31, 2016 Mairie rated it liked it
Some good ideas here
Vikas Bhatnagar
Mar 17, 2017 Vikas Bhatnagar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

All these books become repetitive but still loved it! Amazing concepts that should really be understood and definitely executed. Would recommend to other people.
Aizhan Kimanova
Книжный вызов 2016. Книга №21 - "12 недель в году" (Брайан Моран).
Эту книгу я выиграла в розыгрыше книжного блога I BOOK YOU в начале октября. Там было несколько книг, но я начала читать именно эту. Мои друзья знают, что я помешана на планировании и различных системах тайм-менеджмента. Я всегда планирую свой год, месяц, неделю и день. Без плана я теряюсь и не могу работать. Казалось бы, зачем мне нужно было читать очередную книгу про планирование.
Как говорится, нет предела совершенству. Я люблю
...more
John
Mar 10, 2017 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
This book is a quick read but it has really helped me think about my goals and vision. This has always been a problem for me - Covey always leaves me overwhelmed and David Allen does not spend enough time explaining how to get goals and vision to emerge.

Now I will go back and work through the examples and plan my first 12 week year
James Lyke
Feb 11, 2015 James Lyke rated it it was ok
Most of the book seems like a bunch of tips you can get from other self-help/get organized type books, but there’s a couple of really big interesting ideas. The first of these is the notion of “de-annualization”, the idea of getting away from this working toward the end of a long year, having a long lull, gearing up for another whole year. Instead, we artificially create a shorter year where the tempo is faster, the ramp-up, and ramp-down is faster. The idea of not conforming to a traditional te ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
How has this book changed your life? 1 14 Jan 15, 2011 12:14PM  
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • TEAM Textbook
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Becoming The 1%: How To Master Productivity And Rise To The Top In 7 Days
  • Confidence of a Champion: Becoming Who You Were Created to Be by Letting Go of Lies from the Past
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
  • Together on Top of the World: The Remarkable Story of the First Couple to Climb the Fabled Seven Summits
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • The Next Millionaires
  • The Lombardi Rules: Twenty-Six Lessons from Vince Lombardi--The World's Greatest Coach
  • Toughen Up!

Share This Book



“the number-one thing that you will have to sacrifice to be great, to achieve what you are capable of, and to execute your plans, is your comfort.” 2 likes
“If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.” —Thomas Edison” 1 likes
More quotes…