The 12 Week Year

The 12 Week Year

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Published February 17th 2009 by SB Press LLC. (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The 12 Week Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 12 Week Year

Brian Walker
Great premise "The 12 Week Year," but save yourself the time and the $23 because the book is oversimplified and repetitious. Read the title, read the subtitle, and execute. There. That's it. Send me the $23.
Belal Khan
This is a must have "time management" book. This belongs right along side titles by authors David Allen, Steven Covey, and Tim Ferris. This book is an excellent follow up to Sh Muhammad Alshareef's "Visionaire" workshop.

Excellent method of compressing your yearly plans into 12 weeks and celebrating the successes like you would at the end of the year. Only reason I didn't give this book 5-stars is because their vision setting section is weak. However, that may be unfair since I'm comparing an NLP...more
Jeremy
This was a really good book on goal-setting and goal-achieving. I don't think that there's anything especially revolutionary in here, but I think this book definitely combines the best practices of all the various books I've read or been exposed to on this topic. Having a shorter focus than the typical year plan has definitely been transformative in my life (when I've applied it), and tying big picture visions to weekly actions is key.

My only hang-ups with the book were its' decidedly business b...more
Garland Vance
This is the best book that I have read on goal-setting and accomplishment. Moran provides a comprehensive guide to setting short term goals that are connected to long term visions. The premise of the book is that people generally procrastinate on their goals and usually give no more than 3 months of concentrated focus to accomplishing their goals. The 12 Week Year system helps you (1) concentrate for a short 3 month period of time; (2) measure your goals using lead and lag indicators; (3) and bu...more
josh
Sep 14, 2013 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to josh by: Shelf @ UAPL
Nothing new - goal setting, accountability, breaking visions into smaller tasks, short-term goals / horizons in service of long-term goals.

It reminds me of all the different books & techniques to knit socks. For all intents and purposes - they're the same thing, the only difference is marketing & a tiny novelty to hook you... I should probably stop reading business / finance books for that reason. All the same basics with different presentations / levels of intricacy in guidance.

The only...more
Annie
While this is focused a lot on business, it's also very applicable to personal goals. I've just finished my second 12 week year, so I am actually using it. And while I don't follow 100% of the steps, I improve my process each time and am feeling more focused on getting where I want with my two 3-5 year goals that I selected. Unlike a lot of self-help type books, this one has a lot of practical process and steps in it, and I think that's why it clicked with me rather than just get read and ignore...more
Michele Defilippo
Terrific reminder of the power of goal setting, accountability, and how outcomes are determined only by actions, not knowledge. Is this book original, no. Many books teach these principles. The power in this book lies in its step-by-step system to define, execute, measure, and finally achieve a goal in 12 short weeks. The book is short and to the point, just like the 12-week system itself. A good read.
Audrey Flack
I appreciated that this book is focused on execution. The information isn't new per se, but it was packaged in such a way that I was able to create my own plan easily over the weekend and feel confident that I can execute it. I've tried systems like GTD before, and found that I spent so much time on the planning and creation of the system that I'd get overwhelmed. The 12-week year wasn't that.

The concept of assigning points to a limited number of critical tactics, and aiming for 85% achievement...more
Farshad Asl
Procrastination costs money. 12 week year will help you to shift your mindset from annualized thinking to someone with urgency. It's a good book for people with a clear vision. Enjoy!!!

~FA
Dan Hayne
Lead an intentional life.
Jacqui Allen
This book has a lot of great ideas for becoming more efficient - lots of practical and easy to implement systems and processes. At the moment I am not sure it is a book I will take advantage of however as I am still figuring out what I need to do and feel it is a bit hard to become super efficient when I don't have any particular things to be efficient for.

But, I can see myself coming back to this book when I am ready for a good kick up the butt to allow me to achieve much more in 12 weeks than...more
Heather Friedman
Liked the new approach to how to view the year as 12 week increments to boost effectiveness, prioritization, weekly organization and productivity. Good for personal and professional use with great tips for team application.
Megan
I enjoyed this book, and yes, it does point out some things that may be 'common sense' to some, but I felt it provided a new outlook for myself. A new outlook on how I view my goals and just how bad I am about delaying them, like they mention in the book. I think this is a great book for those looking to be more productive. Sure, you can find tons of information online, but that can be overwhelming. Here you can find everything you need to know, in one place.
Matthew Hodge
This is actually a five-star concept - thinking of a block of 12 weeks as a year to make your focus tighter and stop you putting things off until it's too late.

But the book itself is so padded out with the standard self-help fluff that it's quite painful to read. However, the couple of chapters on planning and execution are good value.
Cat
I like the headline concept of seeing the next 12 weeks as your year, rather than a quarter in a year. I'm trying it out and so far, am finding that my goals are more focused and seemingly achievable. I think it's well worth reading, not just for business/career goals but for personal/relationship/health ones too.
Kimberly
I felt like I was reading an infomercial.
Mystie Winckler
MCL.

Well written for a productivity book. Behind the practical advice there seemed to be solid philosophy: we actually can't predict or control the future, so planning for an entire year is less fruitful than planning for the next 12 weeks.
Hwyner
I loved this book. I have started my. 12 week year and have already started seeing results! if your looking for a way to get in gear this book is defiantly a book you need to read
Lori Wortz
Good read and easy to digest and apply. Looking forward to reorienting myself to time frame of twelve week goals. I anticipate being much more productive
David Garza
Jan 17, 2011 David Garza rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: TEAM
Pretty good theory. I'm looking forward to implementing the 12 Week Year to many facets of my life. I'm sure that I'll achieve even more!
Anne
Sep 01, 2013 Anne added it
Shelves: learn-it-live-it
Interesting and enjoyable. I'm going to try out some of the techniques from this to see if I can get more done.
Kathy
Sold after chapter one. Convinced by the end I'll l be re-reading a few times for it to become my mantra.
Cindy
Just not for me. This might apply more in sales or other types of business but not so much in healthcare.
Cesar
Excellent book for those thriving to become better at executing and achieving their goals.
Tara
Simple. Basic. Good reminders and can help you reconnect with your personal vision.
Marjorie
This is a great motivating book. It challenges you to increase and focus.
John
The 12 week year is a logical concept and bears consideration.
Gregory
Practical advice on productivity.
Peter Strupp
A very practical template for change.
How has this book changed your life? 1 10 Jan 15, 2011 12:14PM
Periodization: 12 Weeks to Breakthrough- A Guide to Creating Results through Focus, Commitment and Accountability 12 недель в году. Как за 12 недель сделать больше, чем другие успевают за 12 месяцев Agora é a sua vez