Start by marking “My Lady's Money” as Want to Read:
My Lady's Money

My Lady's Money

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Wilkie Collins (1824-1889) was an early master of mystery and suspense, writing such classics as The Moonstone, The Woman in White, and Basil. At the time of their publication, his works were classified as "sensation novels," a subgenre now seen as a precursor to mystery and suspense fiction.
Published March 23rd 2006 by Wildside Press (first published 1879)

To ask other readers questions about My Lady's Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lady's Money

The Carer by Scott  NelsonA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensA Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens1984 by George OrwellBleak House by Charles Dickens
London
135th out of 189 books — 51 voters

More lists with this book...

Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

Opening line:
OLD Lady Lydiard sat meditating by the fireside, with three letters lying open on her lap.

Page 6:
"I hate the very name of them! A person who is near enough to me to be my relation and far enough off from me to be my sweetheart, is a double-faced sort of person that I don't like.

Page 60:
"You will admit, madam," Mr. Troy answered cautiously, "that we are all of us liable, in this wicked world, to be the victims of appearances.

The plot invol
Tina

EL DINERO DE MILADY
AUTOR: WILLIAM WILKIE COLLINS
NACIONALIDAD: INGLESA
SIGLO XIX

Este libro narra el hurto de una considerable cantidad de dinero que se le hace a una dama de alcurnia, de lo cual culpan a su hija adoptiva. Todos los personajes pueden resultar sospechosos y un hombre harapiento y de mal aspecto es contratado por uno de los empleados de Milady para hallar al culpable, a pesar de que es poco confiable.
La obra está escrita en un lenguaje de fácil lectura, poco descriptivo pero con fine
Linda K
I adore Wilkie Collins. As a friend of the well-known Charles Dickens, I think he did was a bit overshadowed by him.

This is a delightful tale of a woman of means who becomes the victim of the theft of a 500 pound note in her home. There are a number of possible suspects and she obtains help in persuing the perpetrator. She retains a young girl as her companion and as she is of much lower rank and may be looked on as the possible thief, she is sent away to her Aunt, Miss Pink, to live until the m
Nagisa
The suspect is quite obvious to me, and probably to most of the present-day readers whose judgment will not be hindered by prejudices about social class.
T.
The mystery was a bit too obvious but it was another interesting look at the British class system that was popular to write about in his time.
Jud (Disney Diva)
This is a wonderful story, it tells the tale of a missing 500 note in a very light hearted way with a dash of romance thrown in as well. Collins has a marvelous way of diverting you from the truth with his writing while stating the facts outright so you aren't ever sure of what really happened to the money.

A great book thats easy to read without leaving you brain dead!
Classic Wilkie Collins, this book comprises a mystery, a romance, and Collins' engaging style of writing. My only compaint is that it was very short and therefore the plot was not as complex as in many of his stories. I would have liked to have spent more time with the characters and to have gotten to know them better.
Mary
It's been "Wilkie Collins Discovery Week" for me. I read his Woman in White a few years ago, but it never occurred to me that I might enjoy so many of his other tales of Victorian mystery as well. Mr. Collins was a good friend of Charles Dickens -- and now I love them both.
Kathy
Wilkie Collins never disappoints me. I just love his syle! HOwever, "The Lady in White" is still my favorite.
Ginny
Tracy
Gotta love a Wilkie Collins story ;)
Lucyclare
Lucyclare marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Michelle Mab
Michelle Mab marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Punyaslok
Punyaslok marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Miriam L. Barton
Miriam L. Barton marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Janet Pendlebury
Janet Pendlebury marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Shaya
Shaya marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Траяна
Траяна marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Sonja Lamothe
Sonja Lamothe marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Moorland Cottage
  • The Ordeal of Richard Feverel
  • Aurora Floyd
  • The Well-Beloved
  • The Small House at Allington
  • Felix Holt: The Radical
  • A Dog of Flanders (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • The Tragic Muse
  • The Countess de Charny
  • Lesley Castle
  • The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)
A close friend of Charles Dickens' from their meeting in March 1851 until Dickens' death in June 1870, William "Wilkie" Collins was one of the best known, best loved, and, for a time, best paid of Victorian fiction writers. But after his death, his reputation declined as Dickens' bloomed. Now, Collins is being given more critical and popular attention than he has received for fifty years. Most of ...more
More about Wilkie Collins...
The Woman in White The Moonstone No Name Armadale The Haunted Hotel