Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds

Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  40 reviews
A terrarium is nothing less than a miniature world — one that you can create yourself. It might be a tiny rainforest, with lush foliage and bright tropical flowers. Or a desert, with strange succulents planted among colorful stones. Or a Victorian fernery. Or a minimalist composition with a single, perfect plant.

Or it might not contain any plants at all. It might be made w...more
Published May 11th 2011 by Timber Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Terrarium Craft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terrarium Craft

jess
I am a big, big fan of terrariums, as evidenced by the half dozen of them sprinkled around my house. And, small aside, I appear to have inadvertently passed this onto my stepson, who has been caught stealing pearlite from my stash in recent weeks and begging to go to antique stores for interesting glassware. whoops! Generally I prefer the 1970s "A World Under Glass" sort of terrarium books. If you've been my GR friend for long, you have read my rants at other terrarium books. So it was almost po...more
Pipper
Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds by Amy Bryant Aiello is a great book to read over and over again for creative beautiful ideas. Terrariums are little or big containers filled with trinkets, plants, grains (sand, dirt), even shells. This book doesn't have any characters except if you count the terrariums. The book has many designs and ways to create your own little terrarium, or jar filled with stuff that you want. Anyway, Terrarium Craft is a great book to have. I recommend t...more
Terri Lynn
First of all, I have no idea why the description of this book says that it is in Korean. It is not. It is in English.

I have always loved terrariums from the time I was a little girl and we made them in school. These are definitely NOT like those school terrariums. This is much more upscale and artistic. This book marries art/crafting with nature to create decorations you will be proud to display in your home or give as gifts. Sources for the things you will need are given so you are not left fl...more
Kimberly Bower (gladeslibrarian)
Terrarium Craft is a colorful feast for the eyes. The photographer’s attention to detail reveals the highlights of each small terrarium. At 9 x 8” it falls short of the customary size of a coffee table book, but it would serve well there nonetheless. Terrarium Craft’s intended purpose is for crafters. Each terrarium is shown on a full page. The facing page lists the necessary supplies, directions and care instructions. The author also includes a brief paragraph where she shares the thoughts that...more
Linda B
My love for terrariums goes back to the 1970s when those large, spaceship-style plastic orbs were so popular. Terrarium Craft by Amy Bryant Aiello and Kate Bryant is a wonderful book that has inspired me to bring some updated terrariums back into my home.

What I liked most about the book is that that the authors’ creations are from found materials. Instead of expensive Wardian cases, this book shows how to create beautiful scenes from a variety of glass objects you may have around the house or so...more
Alethea A
Full review and giveaway (ends 9/15/2012) at http://rnslnitelite.blogspot.com/2012...
- - -

I confess: after downloading the review copy on Netgalley, I placed an order for my own copy straight away. Amy Bryant Aiello owns Artemisia, a store that sells terrarium supplies as well as teaches workshops on how to put them together. Kate Bryant is an author and contributes articles about plants and gardening to publications like Portland Monthly. Together they have created a great beginner's book that...more
Josiah
Plot: B
Writing: B
Vocabulary: B
Level: Easy
Rating: G
Worldview: Find beauty in nature and express creativity with various objects

This is a very helpful primer on how to create a miniature terrarium. Content includes common materials, plant care, and models for forest, beach, desert, and fantasy terrarium themes. I highly recommend this book to gardeners, interior decorators, and kids.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Now THIS was a great crafty book, seductive with images of things you wish you had and ideas you could maybe actually pull off... I felt a rushing urge to make a terrarium in spite of my cat from hell. These concept baubles were just that cool.
Midsummer ❁◕‿◕❁
I have also wanted to know more about creating a terrarium but was not able to find more information on various terrariums which one could create.

This book contains a very detailed introductions of all the materials required for making a terrarium.

There are many featured terrariums photos in this book that would interested many terrarium fanatics. As the saying goes, a picture paints a thousand words

For each making of terrariums of different designs, the authors have listed out the materials and...more
Ip Sing
Great inspiration for making terrariums. Through this book, I found out that many plants can be planted in the sand, if you follow their instructions.

Great read!
Stacy
My daughter is a crafter and she loves making arrangements of various things so this book jumped out at me when it appeared in my Recommendations. I requested it and was not disappointed. My daughter (who is 8) has gone through this book several times and made lists of all the things she wanted to use. We didn't recreate any terrariums from this book but it certainly inspired us. In the past week she has made at least a dozen terrariums, all with glass items from around the house or from Goodwil...more
Heather
Not only is this book lovely to look at, but it also gives a lot of useful advice. Of particular interest are the descriptions of care and treatment of various types of terrarium-worthy plants and the descriptions of soil mixes. This book will be useful to those who want to try out a terrarium as well as those who want to learn a little bit more about exotic houseplants. I certainly saw a few I've never seen before! I think this will be a good source of inspiration whether the reader attempts to...more
Rachel Meyers
I love the photography in this book and the clear instructions on how to make alot of different terrariums.
Mo Tipton
What an adorable book. I'm a geek for layouts and typefaces, and this book gets my stamp of approval on both counts, and as a total terrarium newbie, I found a great deal of helpful information, from selecting containers and growing substrates, to plant requirements and arranging tips.

The reason for three stars? Very few of the designs appealed to me, and this is definitely just a matter of personal taste, because they were all very well done, but I was looking for more of a lush, miniature woo...more
Jordan
Terrarium Craft is about various terrarium projects you can make, and also information on various things you can put in a terrarium. The book was a bit hard to finish, because a majority of it was just instructions (their fairly boring)

I started this book because I have recently become interested in terrariums. I finished it just to see if I could learn anything. (I didn't learn much)

I would recommened this book to already has a basic understanding of terrariums, and would just like to see diffe...more
Kayla
Very interesting and I love the photographs!
Tamara
Oh, oh, oh...!

I want to hug this book. Page 67, page 72, page 169...

Most certainly the best DIY guide I've seen for terrariums, but I still wish someone like the Franklin Park Conservatory would buy all of the supplies & offer a class to take some of the guesswork out of the process. (Hint, hint, hint.)

Terrarium Craft is a must read if you are considering making your own terrarium. Even if you weren't thinking about making one, you will be inspired by all the beautiful creations in this book. This book takes you through selection of a container and supplies needed and then proceeds to show forest, beach, desert, fantasy terrariums and how to make them. I would recommend this book for purchase for libraries since terrariums becoming more popular.
Becky
I only looked at the pictures, but if I find myself feeling ambitious, I'd love to try some of these. They seem to have houseplants beat because of 1) cat-proofiness, 2) textures (sand, polished rocks, multiple kinds of plants), 3) low-maintenance if you want to keep plants in the winter or are a Plant Forgetter like me, and 4) artisticness -- add crystals, shells, tiny props, cool-shaped containers, etc. Beautifully photographed.
Jenna
This book is incredibly lovely and quite inspiring, but I found it somewhat lacking in actual instruction. The resources list at the end was fairly useful, but creating the exact designs included in the book seems cost-prohibitive, to say the least. The book did inspire me to create 3 terrariums, though. More practical advice would have bumped this book up to 4 stars, for sure.
Xan
I love plants and green growing things, but I'm not really one for going out and digging in the dirt. I have a few growing things indoors, (mostly what my cat has deemed inedible). But this book has some fairly clean, and cat proof looking ideas. The pictures are wonderful, the instructions easy and concise. If nothing else you should be inspired to put things in pots.
Westerville
"The forest terrariums are by far my favorites, but the fantasy ones are magical as well. Love how each terrarium is presented with a recipe." - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Terryann
what a wonderful, magical book. i've never even thought of doing a terrarium before, beyond my beta fish bowl anyway. i loved the pictures (again, my nook is only b/w so i'm sure they're even more beautiful than i saw). the whimsical, far-out, spacy and amazing little worlds are really worth a look. a beautiful gift idea for a crafty chica.
Natalie
Beautiful, inspiring pictures and lots of ideas. Of the 3 books I've read on terrariums this one hit closest to my preferred asthetic. Designs were recreations of nature scenes and used a variety of objects to create vignettes. Unfortunately the instructions and plants used were the farthest from the variety that I have been working with.
Jessica
An interesting (and often impractical) look at making terrariums large and small. Most of the items you need to make the projects in the book are hard to find (think specialty craft store, expensive, and mostly like a one time use thing. Great for getting ideas though.
Kristi
There was some really nice eye candy and inspiration in this book, but I found it a tad lacking in the instruction area. I'm glad I checked it out from the library before deciding to purchase it. I don't feel there was enough content to warrant my purchasing it.
Lily
Jan 16, 2012 Lily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I didn't realize how conceptual terrariums could be until I read (and by read, I mean "looked at the pictures and captions in") this book. I mean, think about it: A tiny cluster of plants in a raindrop shaped terrarium. Oh, the layered meaning! Who knew?
Herschel Lisette
If you want to build a pleasing terrarium that will probably die, go for this book. This book loves using succulents like cacti to build terrariums. Given that terrariums are high in humidity, cacti might die in this environment.
Alexis
Beautiful book. Think that the photos should've had captions (it wasn't always clear which sand or stone was what) and it would've been nice to have a shopping directory. Otherwise... Absolutely beautiful and inspiring.
Liz Ohlhausen
I loved this book! Great ideas and useful information about creating terrariums, as well as some beautiful pictures. I look forward to creating one myself.
  • Doodle Stitching: the motif collection
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • The Repurposed Library
  • Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update & Show Your Home Some Love
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
  • Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards & More
  • Kingdom Under Glass: A Tale of Obsession, Adventure, and One Man's Quest to Preserve the World's Great Animals
  • Lost Crafts
  • 1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew
  • Creative Walls: How to Display and Enjoy Your Treasured Collections
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Photojojo!: Insanely Great  Photo Projects and DIY Ideas
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join In