Start by marking “The Complete Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #1-9)

4.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  113,261 Ratings  ·  2,430 Reviews
Here, in this beautifully leather bound edition, are all four full-length novels and fifty-six short stories about the colorful adventures of Sherlock Holmes-every word Conan Doyle ever wrote about Baker Street's most famous resident. Also included is an introduction by lifetime Sherlockians, Chrostopher and Barbara Roden.
Leather Bound, 1077 pages
Published 2009 by Barnes & Noble, Inc. (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Arnab Yes it does. All the novels and short stories are published in this book in chronological order. First the novels are there then the short stories are…moreYes it does. All the novels and short stories are published in this book in chronological order. First the novels are there then the short stories are there. I own a copy of this book myself. Its all in one. (less)

adam bradford
Oct 31, 2007 adam bradford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: researchers
A few of the things I learned:

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

Never theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment.

Also, I now sometimes try to analyze people based on their shoes and pants when sitting on the subway. I have yet to ask anyone if I was accurate about my predictions.
Meave
Dec 04, 2013 Meave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
My copy of this book is a wreck, I have read it so often. My dad gave it to me, I can't remember if it was a birthday or Christmas gift, but regardless it's one of the best books I've ever been given. You just have to read a couple of pages and you fall right into Holmes and Watson's world; it's wonderful.
Hasham Rasool
31st August-1st September 2015
A Study in Scarlet

I love this story. There were lots of twists. Alhamdulillah!

11 October-18 October 2015
The Sign of the Four

It was very good story. Alhamdulillah!

22 October-25 October 2015
The Hound of the Baskervilles

It was stupendous story! Alhamdulillah!

12 November-22 November 2015
The Valley of Fear

It was brilliant story! Alhamdulillah!

5th December 2015-4 March 2016
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

AlhamdulIllah, I love it! Those 12 short stories were awesome!

7th M
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Le Petit Prince (14) versus The Complete Sherlock Holmes (19)

It was some time during the summer of 19__ that I received an urgent telegram from Holmes. Arriving at 221B, Baker Street, I was struck by how little he had changed. He was older, to be sure; but his eye was as keen as ever, and his enthusiasm not one whit abated by the passage of the years.

"I trust you have brought your passport, Watson?" he said, in lieu of greeting. "We depart for Alg
K.D. Absolutely
So, I'm now done with reading this whole 2-volume 1,796-page Sherlock Holmes canon. I spent 10 months reading all the 4 novels and 56 short stories contained herein.

I really liked the experience and I am proud of this accomplishment. My first time to read a canon. Before reading this, I thought that the word canon only applied to biblical works. Well, that was the first thing I learned upon adding this book in my currently-reading folder.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote in a classy classic manner a
Diana
Feb 24, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so sad when I finished this book. Nothing new to read ever again about Sherlock Holmes ... hmmmm *sigh*
Rizwan
সকুলের শেষে এসএসসির পর পুরো "শারলক হোমস অমনিবাস" টানা পড়ে শেষ করেছিলাম, সমভবত একবসাতেই । কলকাতার তুলি-কলম পরকাশনীর পরকাশিত মণীনদর দততের দুরদানত অসাধারণ পূরনাঙগ অনুবাদ । গভীর মুগধতায় এক বিসময়কর ঘোরের মাঝে ডুবে ছিলাম কয়েকটা দিন । ইতোপূরবে শারলক হোমস কে, কি, কেন এসব সমপরকে তখন আবছা আবছা ধারণা বৈ আর কিছুই জানা ছিল না । এখনকার অতি বিচকষণ ও অভিজঞ পাঠকদের মত আগেভাগেই সব জেনে যাবার কোন সুযোগ ছিল না, একেবারে আনকোরা চোখে নতুন এক জগত আবিষকারের অনাবিল নিখাঁদ আননদের সাথে পরতিটি গলপ পরতিটি পৃষঠা উপভোগ করেছিলা ...more
Alexis Hall
My impression of what a Sherlock Holmes' story is actually like.

I came down to breakfast one morning to find my dear friend, Sherlock Holmes disembowelling a gerbil with a teaspoon.

"My dear Holmes," said I, "is that really necessary?"

Barely glancing up from his gruesome task, he told me that it was. "You see, Watson," he continued, "there is matter that I believe may soon become illuminated not only to you but the whole of London society."

"Good God, Holmes!" I cried. "Whatever is this?"

"Have pat
Martha
Oct 24, 2008 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in varying states of wakefullness
I don't know if anyone else does this, but in times of stress or when I have exceptional trouble falling asleep, I find myself re-reading a favorite book. One of these used to be my complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series but alas, it *is* in fact possible to read those books too many times. Lately this book has been the Complete Sherlock Holmes.

What amazes me the most about these stories is that, despite having read through the entire collection a number of times, I seem to find someth
Jaro
Jun 01, 2016 Jaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-sherlock
Phew… I finished this whole thing in twelve days (except for The Hound of the Baskervilles which I had read before). I was in a very restless mood while reading and couldn’t stop. The focus, precision and energy of the stories kept me alert throughout and I never tired. As soon as I finished a story I was immediately hungry for more. I think the stories actually gained something by being consumed in succession in a short time. It made me aware of the structure of the stories, about similarities ...more
Jordan Bailey
Jun 05, 2008 Jordan Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What first got me hooked on reading.
[That sounds corny, like 'Hooked on Phonics' or something...]
Either way, I found a seriously abridged and illustrated version of a few stories when I was in 3rd grade. And I've never looked back. Hands down my favorite reads ever.
Jan Rice
Jan. 15, 2013: I received this as a gift when I was 20 years old. I had already read it but I must have read again, because the cover wore off. I tucked the front and back piece of the cover in the back of the book, and that's how I know it was this edition. I loved Sherlock Holmes. I own a Sherlock Holmes sweatshirt at this very time.

I also liked Arthur & George by Julian Barnes, which was about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Added after I saw one of my friends was going to read Sherlock Holmes.
I s
DeAnna Knippling
The Complete Sherlock Holmes...I happened to finish Dan Simmons's The Fifth Heart recently, and was a little put out about how he treated Sherlock in some spots. Having now finished the complete stories and novels - okay, yeah. Lots of inconsistencies, many stories a long stone's throw from fair, repetitive plotlines, and those stupid stories that are Sherlock intro, Sherlock epilogue...and a mass of adventure from America that I couldn't care less about. Sherlock is a heartless bastard, all rig ...more
Jacob
Jan 30, 2012 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first review... Well then... Let's get to it.

There are many things about Sherlock Holmes stories that I find to be brilliant but I will discuss only three in this review so as not to make it too long.

The first is that Holmes is actually as brilliant as his reputation would have everyone believe. Something that I find extremely annoying in fiction is when a character has a reputation for being a fantastic investigator or for being great at something else but they never do anything to prove th
Mark
Nov 25, 2012 Mark is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've decided that this mammoth collection of stories will be a work in progress project for me. It'll probably take me a lifetime between reading other books, but the target is set!

Why am I doing this?

Well, (a) you can have too much of a good thing and (b) I don't want to run the risk of the stories all rolling into one, becoming samey and then boredom setting in and the book landing on my "given-up" shelf. I'm quite sure that these stories were never published all in one go and in one volume
Cindy Rollins
Sep 27, 2015 Cindy Rollins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, audiobooks
58 hours of narration by the wonderful Simon Vance which I doubt will ever be improved upon. Truly remarkable stories.

I often struggle to determine how many stars to give many books, especially modern ones which often come highly touted. But there is no struggle here. These stories are superior to any modern stories I have read this year.

For those who may not know this Doyle was a wonderful author of other books equal to his Sherlock Holmes books. For family reading do not miss The White Compa
Lawyer
Jan 01, 2010 Lawyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy classic detective fiction and those who enjoyed Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone".
In which we learn that Sherlock Holmes turns to a seven percent solution of cocaine for mental stimulation in the absence of a case on which to work, much to the chagrin of Dr. Watson. Arthur Conan Doyle weaves a story around the Sepoy Mutiny and a lost Indian treasure,in a plot reminiscent of Wilkie Collins' "The Moonstone". Sherlock Holmes reveals that he is a master of disguise and we learn more of the workings of the Baker Street Irregulars. This second appearance of Holmes and Watson is mor ...more
Megan Allison
Apr 05, 2009 Megan Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who can handle a handful of fancy words
Recommended to Megan by: My sister
These novels and short stories are a blast to read when you want to get a taste of the original crime thriller stuff. It's cool to know that Doyle kind of started the detective crime mystery genre. If that doesn't make it cool enough, Sherlock Holmes makes for a very interesting character to follow, which makes sense since the character of Gregory House on the medical show HOUSE was based on Sherlock Holmes. This isn't necessarily because they both solve mysteries, but they both seem to have tha ...more
Tracey
Dec 07, 2015 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As it turns out, I don't like Sherlock Holmes very much. The idea? Some of the writing? The kernel of the character and Watson and 221B and Mrs. Hudson and so on?

Absolutely. Holmes himself and his mysteries?

Oh, God.

I'm sure it was in some small part down to the fact that I listened to the entire blessed Holmes canon in an Audible "Complete" edition. I was happy about it, because it was narrated by Simon Vance, who has done such a magnificent job voicing Holmes in sequels by other authors. And
Eric
Oct 03, 2011 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the detective genre
A Study in Scarlet: The first novel featuring the prototypical detective, it was a page-turner that made me excited to read the rest of the Sherlock Holmes canon. I was unnecessarily concerned when the second part of the novel opened in America, and did not seem to concern the original mystery that was set in England, but it came back and tied it together successfully.

The Sign of the Four: Not only was this story's mystery on par with the Jefferson Hope case, it also fleshed out the characters
Jana
Jun 03, 2016 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this an overall 3 out of 5 stars because Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing tends to really drag at points, even in the short stories. However, the content and construction of the stories themselves are really well done, so I did enjoy this overall.
Sonja - Intellectual Badass
A Study in Scarlet: read the 11th of August 2015
My rating: 9.5/10 or 5/5 stars
Tim Poston
Feb 04, 2015 Tim Poston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much has been said about Holmes, nothing useful to add: just reporting on the joys of reading through the whole canon. Often small joys of good writing and characterisation, like "I usually give up one day to pure amusement when I come to town, so I spent it at the Museum of the College of Surgeons," in The Hound of the Baskervilles" -- far more fun than the phosphorescent dog.

Also, the fascination of seeing change... there is much that in my childhood was still comprehensible, but would now
Tej Kuruvilla
Sherlock Holmes

By: Tej Kuruvilla

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a great mind that has masterpieced some of the greatest mystery stories ever, known as Sherlock Holmes. He has made a variety of stories for suspenseful readers to bury oneself in.The ones that I’ve read are The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge, The singular experience of John Scott Eccles, The Tiger of San Pedro (of which are all one big story), The Adventure of the Cardboard box, The Adventure of the Red Circle. Each story consists of marve
Kris43
What is there to say about Mr. Holmes that hasn't been said before?
Objectively not much, so i'm going to skip that and go right to my own opinion.

In my eyes Mr. Holmes is and always will be a Master (with capital M) of his game! And let the game be always afoot! (If you don't know what that means, you should read the book, Dr. Watson will explain all about it:)

Start with The Study in Scarlet, so you can see how it all started. From there continue with the stories and novels. And when you finis
kaśyap
Nov 03, 2012 kaśyap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
Sherlock Holmes is my favorite fictional character. I received a copy of the complete collection when i was very young and i grew up reading these stories.I read every single story in this so many times that my copy is completely torn.
every story in this is clever,wonderfully written and gripping
Evgeny
Aug 07, 2012 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a classic and very entertaining read to boot. What else can I say? Sherlock Holmes outlived many generations of its readers and will outlive yet more generations while still remaining hugely popular.
Sahaj Panchal
A Scandal in Bohemia: Chapter I. A dialogue I liked.
A scene at 221/B, Baker Street, London

Sherlock is sitting in his armchair in his usual manner, his eyes closed. In front of him is Count Von Kramm, a Bohemian nobleman, wearing a mask. (Who he was kidding? He was in front of the great SH!) And so in front of him actually is Wilhelm Gottsreich Sigismond von Ormstein, Grand Duke of Cassel Felstein, and hereditary King of Bohemia. by this time SH has opened his eyes and had an impatient look at
Kellie
Aug 12, 2012 Kellie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just started it and love it already. It needs to be the next book club book.

I am almost done with the first story, A Study in Scarlet. I have loved reading it, but I wanted to warn any friends who were planning on reading this to be aware, at the end of the mystery Doyle takes the reader to America to explain what just happened in the mystery. You need to remember that Doyle was living in England and probably had no contact with anyone of the LDS faith. Probably all he'd ever heard were outrag
Bob
Jan 22, 2009 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know much of the character of Holmes was cribbed from Poe's Dupin, but these will always be the original mysteries for me. The first Sherlock Holmes story I ever read was, I think, "The Adventure of the Speckled Band", although I seem to recall reading the one about the Blue Carbuncle and the one about Copper Beeches as well -- and somewhere in these early stories I also read The Sign of Four, which kind of clinched it for me. At that point I had to read every Holmes story and novel and practi ...more
Around the Year i...: The Complete Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle 8 48 May 06, 2016 01:37AM
Indian Readers: Suggestions for Sherlock Holmes 1 9 May 04, 2016 10:49PM
Book or Movie; Yo...: Sherlock Holmes Discussion 2 18 Mar 07, 2015 09:34AM
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Sherlock: The Casebook
  • Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey, #13)
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles
  • Shadows Over Baker Street
  • The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll
  • H.G. Wells: Seven Novels
  • Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson
  • The Revenge of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #2)
  • The Hermit of Eyton Forest (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #14)
  • The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • The Complete Father Brown
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Um Estudo em Vermelho / Os Sete Mistérios (Obras Completas de Sherlock Holmes, #1)

“You have a grand gift for silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.” 826 likes
“Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he.” 608 likes