Start by marking “Where's Wally?” as Want to Read:
Where's Wally?

Where's Wally? (Where's Waldo? #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,095 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Welcome, Waldo-watchers! Waldo is setting out on two more completely crazy and really remarkable journeys. Pack a pencil and sharpen your wits as you follow him through the pages of his two newest activity books, from jungles to traffic jams and all the zany places in between.
Hardcover, 10th Anniversary Special Edition, 0 pages
Published August 21st 1997 by Gardners Books (first published January 1st 1987)

Miriam
Dec 13, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
I wish Werner Herzog would write a book like this. But this would be hard to top.

Tressa
Mar 14, 2011 Tressa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, 2011
I knew the concept of the Where's Waldo books, but until my son got interested in them, I didn't know much about them. Can I just say how addicting they are? Searching for Waldo on every page is a self-challenge that makes you push for your personal best; when you can't find him, you do not give up. You change tactics by taking out your contacts, reaching for your reading glasses, or tossing your glasses aside so you can stick the book as far up to your face as possible. You scan haphazardly at ...more
Matthew
Jun 30, 2008 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists
Where's Wally (Waldo?) has always struck me as a metaphor for... Oh fuck it... How can someone wearing such ridiculous clothing be so hard to find!!! And when you finally do, you can't lose him again, he's just always there, on the page... Invading your darkest thoughts... Hiding in the bushes beind you when you walk home in the dark... And why do people insist on putting a circle around him when they read it in the doctor's surgery!?! THAT DEFEATS THE WHOLE POINT, JERKS!!! Oh dear... I must lie ...more
J.G. Keely
I used to find these books endlessly fascinating as a child, especially the more odd and mystical elements. Of course, what I liked most was the frantic detail. There were entire stories laid out in these pictures, and no doubt they helped me to question how much meaning and action one could put into a single image.

In high school, I made a short series of my own called The Necro Files (ha ha, aren't sixteen year-olds funny?). It would feature a different odd locale (Atlantis, a circus) and then
Tosh
Jan 05, 2008 Tosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the Penguin book down below, many people feel like I either look like Waldo, or worst, I am Waldo. I often take the bus, and I try to avoid bus transportation during school hours - because the kids love to say 'Hey I just found Waldo!" It's get tiresome after awhile.

And on top of that I can never find Waldo in these pictures. I have to ask my neighborhood kid on the block where Waldo is. And you know they usually say ' hey he's right in front of me.' Meaning .... me of course.
John
I liked this book first time around, but persistent re-reads by my youngest daughter meant that my enjoyment of, and patience with, the book, did not last long.

I found it remarkable that at age 4 she could remember every half-promise or insinuation of a promise ever mad by myself, my wife, her grandparents and her elder sister.... she could also remember every word [parrot-fashion] in every book that we read together.... but do you think she could remember where sodding Wally was?

No...not on yo
José
Dec 01, 2015 José rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo que me divertía con los libros de Wally no tiene nombre xD
Al Smith
Jul 10, 2014 Al Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting. Basically, the plot is that Waldo is missing and it's up to me to find him.
Lauren
Apr 09, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling
John Lavis
Jun 02, 2015 John Lavis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bringing back a classic book the shook the world for years. Where's Waldo may be one of the most challenging reads out there. From the well respected author Martin Handford; a truly inspiring tale, with use of language and literature that makes Shakespeare seem like a mere child. His diction is some of the best out there, and his use of imagery makes you feel like you are actually in the crowd searching for Waldo. It took me nearly 14 years to complete this remarkable work of literature and I lo ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
When I was a kid, I would look over Where's Waldo and always want to "beat" it, find everything there was to be found. That impulse to be a "completist" with things continues today, often in unhealthy ways. But Where's Waldo is a minor thing that can be "beat" by finding everything the book tells me to find. And I'm happy (or embarrassed?) to announce that I have done it! I wanted it to be a lot less time-consuming that it was.

I spent at least 15 goddamn minutes looking for five spiders on the b
Samantha Mckay
Dec 08, 2014 Samantha Mckay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where’s Waldo? is a playful book made created for fun only. It is a very confusing picture book where the scenes are very in depth and detailed. There are really dramatic scenes and it is meant to trick your eyes. The point of the book is to look through all the chaos and find Waldo. They often make many things look like him to confuse the eyes. These books are often much harder than they originally appear! This book could be used in the classroom for kids in any level of grade school. They are ...more
Kaethe
There have always been fads in books for children, pop culture tie-ins and gimmicks to increase a book's appeal. This is one I still enjoy. Handford was the first and continues to be the best, but even the rip-offs of his style are pleasing. It's fun to sit and look at the vast pictures, rich in detail and humor, searching out something which isn't hidden, exactly, but can be very hard to find.

The younger child in particular was a huge fan of these. Of course, they're a gateway drug. She moved u
Sofie Brånedal
Dec 10, 2015 Sofie Brånedal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little to much for me... Although it most be very fun to read this with your kids. The kids will probably love it.
Maryam
Nov 11, 2010 Maryam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day, Waldo should wear something different and really fuck everyone up.
Hillary
Mar 31, 2016 Hillary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A classic! How could you not love trying to find Waldo?
Thomas Anselin
I always liked the interactiveness of this book and especially the different illistrations. The illistrations are very random, but all have a central theme they are based on idividually and it fits into the timeline of the story. Although the story is really not too important to me in this book. The illistrations have so much detail and it is realy captivating just to look at all the different illistrations and the detail within them. The book has no boarders and it makes the illistration seem m ...more
Theresa
'Where's Waldo' was a craze decades ago, but still fun to do. This book has 12 2-page illustrations to search for him (city streets, beach, ski slope, campground, train yard, airport, racetrack, museum, boat flotilla, zoo, shopping mall, and amusement park)
I find the best way to do this is with a long ruler. Sloooly scan it across from left to right seaching the narrow area revealed as you move the ruler.
Valerie
I used to love this book as a child and I think I had almost all the different versions. I would spend hours trying to find Waldo. This is a great book for librarians to introduce to young reluctant readers. I found this great website that has activity sheets (crossword puzzles, word searches) and even a Where's Waldo kit for the library.
Ginger Stepp
Where’s Waldo? is a look and find book. It is much like the I Spy series except that the only object that needs to be found is Waldo himself. Waldo is placed in various situations throughout the book, such as the beach and a crowded street. The illustrations are full of numerous other characters and objects that can make Waldo difficult to find, even for adults. The illustrations not only containing a plethora of objects and characters, but they are various sizes, colors, and shapes. These aspec ...more
Charlotte
Jan 09, 2016 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where's Wally is great as it's scaleable - 5 minute scan for some key things, or a never-ending game searching for all that's buried in the scenes. You search for Wally, and then his keys which he drops everywhere. Then there's his friends and the hidden antics buried in each picture. It could keep kids, and adults, amused for hours. (Tip: don't get the mini book version - the resolution drops on some of the smaller items)
Miss Ryoko
Sep 29, 2013 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: search-and-find
Where's Waldo brings me back to my childhood! I LOVED these books. Now as an adult as I embark on completing all the Waldo books, it's more enjoyable because I can appreciate all the details in each picture. Some of the scenes are really funny.

Though, I did not like the cruise ship pirate page... everything and everyone was in the same spot. It was too easy. So that was a bummer.

Also, that damn key and bone got me a lot! I had to go back to pages and research for them a couple of times ;-)

It su
Sarah Moyer
Apr 16, 2015 Sarah Moyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drusillah
May 02, 2015 Drusillah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series provided hours of entertainment when I was young! It was incredibly fun to search for the familiar face and clothes while at the same time looking at all the other events going on in the scene. It also improved my abilities of searching and finding!
Sarah Federspiel
The "Where's Waldo?" series is a classic book series that isn't exactly engaging for readers but is engaging for students in general. Kids can use these books to find certain characters in very complex scenes. While this isn't a book to be used to develop a student's reading skills (though it does contain text!) this is a fun book to have for students to take a break from school work.
Ying Lee
As a young kid, I spent a lot of time on "Where's Waldo?" collection. (In Taiwan, the book title is "Where's Wally?") Usually, I would pick one book from the collection in the public library near my home, sit on the floor, and scrutinize the pages with my tiny index finger to find Waldo/Wally. Sometimes, I shared my book with some other kids, and we found Waldo/Wally together on crowded pages. Of course, laughter and noisy discussion could be heard during our Waldo/Wally hunting. I still think c ...more
Kat
Feb 23, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with great eyesight
My son was obsessed with Waldo. He drew his own "where's Leif" pictures. This obsession coincided with Ed Emberley's books and an artist was born. These are great fun - the details are so hilarious. I do believe they teach patience and cultivate a good nature. We read these so often that they fell apart and had to be taped back together. They are large size, so do not travel well with little people, but they do try to lug them around. Great fun! Indulge! By the way, my mother HATED these books b ...more
Brice Montgomery
Arguably the best piece of literature written in the past 500 years. Mr. Handford's commentary on social identity is quite insightful, and I think we can all learn something from it, because—at the end of the day—we are all Waldo.
Oct 23, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this one..It was the first Waldo book I owned. It got SO used that the pages became super,super floppy!! Finding everything was just so much fun to me especially when racing against my sister!!
Karen
Dec 15, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you NOT love Where's Waldo book?! The illustrations and setting are phenomenal and often hilarious, and Waldo is just challenging enough to find to make the books fun.
  • I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Truth
Martin Handford, the man behind the mind-boggling Waldo books, began his career as a freelance illustrator specializing in drawing crowd scenes. The turning point came when he was asked to create a book showcasing his impressive talent, and the character Waldo was born — originally to provide a link between each scene. "I can’t tell you how pleased I am that Waldo has taken on a life of his own," ...more
More about Martin Handford...

Where's Waldo? (7 books)