Start by marking “Зелени години” as Want to Read:
Зелени години

Зелени години

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  594 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The Green Years is a 1944 novel by A. J. Cronin which traces the formative years of an Irish orphan, Robert Shannon, who is sent to live with his draconian maternal grandparents in Scotland. An introspective child, Robert forms an attachment to his roguish great-grandfather, who draws the youngster out of his shell with his raucous ways.
Published 1981 by Отечество (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Зелени години, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Зелени години

Dorcas
This is my second A J Cronin and it didn't disappoint. This is just the kind of story I like, true characterization (warts and all), a plot packed with everyday drama, tragedy mixed with triumph at the very last gasp, a novel some might call melodramatic and soap-opera-ish but whatever, it's a great read and I dare you to not get choked up at least twice.

A young orphan boy is sent to live with his grandparents, aunts, uncles, and great-grandparents in Scotland, where the head of the house, his p
Marilyn Quigley
Feb 26, 2008 Marilyn Quigley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like autobiography, strong charaterization, and/or Scotland.
Just this year I "discovered" A. J. Cronin and have read 4 of his books. THE GREEN YEARS is obviously the autobiographical account of Cronin's coming of age in Scotland in the early 20th Century. The supurb, honest characterization of his various family members coupled with Cronin's eye for detail, skill in plot construction, and depth of focus make this an excellent read. This book, like his others I have read, looks squarely at life and death, at joy and anguish. It is both humorous and seriou ...more
Diane
Nov 20, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stayed up late one night and watched an old 1937 movie made from this book. I enjoyed it very much and decided to read the book. Generally, I like books better than movies, and I have to say that reading the book after watching the movie took some of the fun out of the book, but I loved the characters in this book. They were very well defined and true to life. How can you not love Grandfather, who suffers from too much drink, but has one of the kindest hearts. The main character has a series o ...more
Catherine
Jun 14, 2009 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is a gem who receives little attention nowadays. The Green Years was recommended by a co-worker. Originally published in the 1930s, it is a charming story of a young boy growing up with his grandparents in Scotland before WWI. AJ Cronin has a real literary talent, making the reader feel as though the trials and tribulations of Robert Shannon, the main character, are the reader's own. The only disappointment was the end - which to me, seemed a little anti-climatic, although I can't pu ...more
Anne Murphy
Aug 03, 2012 Anne Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this. 53 years ago. I love this lonely story. I was 12 then and I will read again.
Lauren Tydings
So, this book was recommended to me by my dad because he remembered it fondly from his childhood. On my own, I doubt I would have even read the back of it. I found it in a little thrift store and it looked like my dad, but he wanted me to read it. He actually irritated me into reading it, otherwise it would still be on my shelf, waiting to be read.
The book is about a young Irish boy who goes to live with his Scottish family when his mother dies. He is forced to grow up among his odd, poor famil
Sara
Jun 11, 2016 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mai buttarsi giù

Anni verdi, verdi come la gioventù, verdi come la verde Irlanda (paese dal quale proviene il piccolo Robert), verde come il vestitino a roselline che la bisnonna cuce per il primo giorno di scuola di Robert (e che gli procurerà non poche grane), verdi soprattutto come la speranza, quella speranza che troppo spesso Robert non ha, quella speranza che troppo spesso Robert perde per strada...
Robert, rimasto orfano di genitori, è costretto a lasciare la sua terra (l'Irlanda appunto) p
Dafne

Girovagando tra gli scaffali della biblioteca a volte si possono scoprire dei libri dimenticati.
È il caso di questo libro che giaceva un po’ abbandonato, con la copertina un po' rotta e che da un po’ di tempo mi faceva l’occhiolino (la bibliotecaria mi ha detto che non veniva preso in prestito da un bel po’ di tempo).
Grazie a questo libro ho scoperto un autore (per me semi-sconosciuto) e un romanzo bellissimo.
Esso narra la storia di Robert Shannon, che, dopo essere rimasto orfano di entrambi i g
Sheri
Dec 24, 2011 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Shannon is a young orphan who is skirted off to Scotland from his Irish homeland after losing both his parents in an accident. He has never met these relatives before and is quickly assigned to the room of an elderly grandfather. Grandpa enjoys his pints too much, if you know what I mean and likes to engage with pretty young women. He can be quite the scoundrel but he has a good heart and genuinely cares for young Robbie.
Robbie grows up in this household with various family members and
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anna, Wanda, Karen

Jessica Tandy in here. Fab! A one-liner review somewhere on the net, forget where, states 'The conflict between Catholics & Presbyterians in Ireland', Nope, that is not what this is about at all. It is a semi-autobiographical account of the coming of age a budding young scientist who happened upon a microscope in a swap for a golden plover egg. Did I mention Grandpa? Well he is great-grandpa and he is wonderful.

5* Hatters Castle
5* The Citadel
4* The Green Years

The
Abdou Edge
Mar 28, 2014 Abdou Edge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first A.J Cronin Book I've read (in french) and it was an amazing book about the struggle of a young boy who liked science but raised christian, and the hard time he had to keep faith in his beliefs and go forward with science. the characters and the story are present and enjoyable.
Susan
Aug 15, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice book. I never heard of this author before, but I would now like to read more of their books. Set in the early 1900's in Scotland, it tells of the simple life of a young boy and his family. A very good read.
Bonnie Palmer
Aug 18, 2015 Bonnie Palmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes you in from the start. It is a wonderfully descriptive story. So well written!
Sylvia Kinnee
Jan 17, 2011 Sylvia Kinnee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book. I loved it. Somehow reminded me of the T.V. series "The Wonder Years". I could hear the voice of the narrator of the wonder years as I read this book. The book is about an orphan boy of 11 who goes to live with the eclectic family of his grandparents in the early 20 century, in Scotland. He's from Ireland so the plot thickens. Delightful!
Ria Ali
Apr 30, 2012 Ria Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dont know why but i simply love reading about the kids of the 20th century!! robert is a very good guy- i seem to be falling in love...
thanks cronin for such an emotional book.
my sis has a lesson of a.j in her literature class.
cant wait to read his other books...
tee hee!!
Rusty
May 06, 2010 Rusty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Visit the young and adolescent years of a boy's life who grows up to be a heroic medical researcher. Said to be one of the best-loved stories written by Cronin this is an excellent read that is heart warming and stirring. I enjoyed it.
Manecita
Aug 26, 2011 Manecita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro lo lei en el colegio . Realmente es muy emocionante. Lamentablemente hasta el día de hoy no lo he podido encontrar para tenerlo.
Emily January
Aug 10, 2011 Emily January rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book because it is real and heartwarming at the same time. An excellent, forgotten treasure!
Leanne Hunt
May 29, 2016 Leanne Hunt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
The book is beautifully written but moves slowly, and therefore could not hold my attention to the end.
Paola Bersi
Mar 17, 2013 Paola Bersi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Cronin when I was a teenager and I loved it. For me it is as good as Balzac or Zola. Great drama
Sofia
Dec 23, 2013 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly written, and very moving. Definitely recommend it.
John
Mar 26, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
read this 14 years ago and all I wrote was that I liked it.
Nancy
Dec 20, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The conflict between Catholics & Presbyterians in Ireland
Chris Hunt
Oct 17, 2007 Chris Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scotland
One of the first adult books I ever read. I loved it.
Nancynoreen
Oct 17, 2007 Nancynoreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, a must.
One of the BEST books Chrisnina ever made me read.
Sofía (Софья)
Sofía (Софья) rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Mary Joe
Mary Joe rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Dimitris Kotsakis
Dimitris Kotsakis rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
  • Joy Street
  • The Cloister and the Hearth
  • The Rim of the Prairie
  • Kings Row
  • The Stillmeadow Road (Stillmeadow Series, #7)
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
  • The Forsaken Inn
  • Sleep In The Woods
  • Witch Wood
  • Een glas melk
Archibald Joseph Cronin was a Scottish novelist, dramatist, and non-fiction writer who was one of the most renowned storytellers of the twentieth century. His best-known works are The Citadel and The Keys of the Kingdom, both of which were made into Oscar-nominated films. He also created the Dr. Finlay character, the hero of a series of stories that served as the basis for the long-running BBC tel ...more
More about A.J. Cronin...