Start by marking “No Child's Game: Reality TV 2083” as Want to Read:

No Child's Game: Reality TV 2083

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Published December 30th 2005 by Harpercollins Childrens Books

Shannon
I picked this book up at the Scholastic Warehouse Sale -- it is excellent. Set in futuristic 2083, society has been decimated by poverty and lack of food. The federal government has taken over education and history is taught by a kind of historical survivor game. Only in these historical event games, people really do die. This time, the education secretary has chosen five 14-year old kids to re-create William Perry's journey to the South Pole. In real life, Perry and his team perished; so the ca ...more
Madison Rosel
No Childs Game was a very interesting book because it had a totally different atmosphere than what we experience today. It reminded me of the Hunger Games because their government controlled everything they did. They watch the education on T.V. instead of going to a school, they have a coin toss to decide if you will be rich or poor, and they use a T.V. show, typically ending in death, to entertain everyone. There isn’t one narrator for the entire book, it switches between each character and tha ...more
Henry
The Death Race

Have you ever watched one of those reality shows where people have to go against each other and to race to somewhere to win a contest? So the book I am reading, "No Child's Game", is pretty much about the same thing but with a twist. The reality show is about five fourteen year olds racing to the finish line which is on the other side of Antarctica. On the way, there are problems that they have to face in order to win, one problem is that they encounter people and things that will
Don
Not a bad little book... although like so many "kidbooks," the idea is much better than the execution.

The premise is very good: A futuristic Survivor TV show that is based on impossible historical situations ... and contestants can, like, die? Historical Survivor: Little Big Horn, Historical Survivor: Donner Party, etc.

And now Historical Survivor: Robert F. Scott's Antarctic Expedition ... but with kids. Who might die! I like the way author Andrea White incorporates actual diary entries from the
Emmalyne Tarsa
I gave this book four out of five stars because it was suspenseful and exciting although I did not particularly like the way some of the characters were made to act. I would recommend this book to teens because they would easily relate to the characters in the story who are teens around the age of fourteen years old.
Julie S.
Mekakadu
An epic story of survival as five kids are thrown into the middle of Antarctica to re-enact Robert F. Scott's Terra Nova expedition to the South Pole. In real life, Scott's expedition perished and all died. Set in the year 2083, the reality show Historical Survivor takes adults and has them re-enact events from history like Historical Survivor: Donner Party or Historical Survivor: Little Big Horn. In this show, people die. This season, however, it's Historical Survivor: Antarctica. And with kids ...more
Jared
It had a lot of cliff hangers. Literally!!!!
Sharon
This book takes place in the future when Reality TV has taken the place of education. Five 14 year olds are sent alone to recreate the race to be first to get to the south pole. They have only the equipment, food, animals and clothing worn by Scott and his men in the early 1900's. The race is filmed with tiny cameras implanted in the kids's eyes. It is not a great book but I enjoyed reading it and I think upper elem.students would like it a lot.
Wanda
If you liked the Hunger Games, you would love this one. The book is based on Scott's expedition to the Antarctic. Kids are chosen to relive the expedition and it is televised on TV. Kids quickly learn that calamities are set up to mimick those events of Scott's journey. However, some one intervenes to help the kids. Will the kids survive? What will happen to those that intervene on the show?
Luke
Finally got through this one during exam week when I had nothing to read. I didn't like it very well, but it was worth reading. Some of the things at the end didn't make sense, like they either should've happened a long time ago or not happened at all. I would at least try it, but don't spend all your time on it.
Breezy
Started reading in elementary school or middle school but never got around to finishing it, I lost interest and time to read it about half way through. I remember it being an interesting story so I want to go back and actually finish it.

See Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 for full review.
Christina
Maybe it was the kids' teamwork or maybe it was the plot, but this book was way better than I thought it would be. I loved the different points of view and their actual journey through the snow and ice. I'm surprised it's not that well-known, because i really enjoyed it.
Gayle
I didn't expect to like this, but I do. I think anyone who loved Hunger Games would probably enjoy this book. It got me from the first page, but then I like dystopian fiction a lot. The only disappointment is that it ended very abruptly.
Aiyana
I absolutely loved this book. I am amazed at the courage that the kids had. And I am also impressed with their survival skills. I hope that the author has written a sequel. She did a fantastic job with the book.
Aimee
This book is almost like a frontrunner for the hunger games. However, in this story participation was voluntary, it is not nearly as violent or graphic and resolves itself in one book.
Torense
I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait for Andrea to publish her next book!
R
R added it
May 25, 2015
Megan
Megan added it
May 08, 2015
Nate Mcquien
Nate Mcquien marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Ryan added it
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Evil Secretary 2 8 Apr 15, 2011 06:36PM
Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 Radiant Girl Window Boy Windows on the World Joseph Conrad and the Adventure Tradition