Start by marking “Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  39 reviews
For anyone who's ever headed to their local farmers' market reciting the mantra "I will not overbuy" but has lumbered home with bags overflowing with delicious summer strawberries, zucchini blossoms, and tomatoes, or autumn apples, pears, and cauliflower, this book will be your saving grace.

Well-Preserved is a collection of 30 small batch preserving recipes and 90 recipes
Published October 27th 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published May 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Well-Preserved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Well-Preserved

Nova
As a book for beginning canners, this was fairly good. It gave a lot of information on the how's and why's of both water bath and pressure canning as well as touching on some other methods of preserving such as dehydrating and fermenting although it doesn't go into the same amount of detail with those.

It was helpful in decreasing my fear of botulism and other home-canning mishaps by explaining in simple easy steps what can be done to keep the bacteria from forming.

The basic canning recipes wer
Meryl
As far as the technical processes--what's safe and what isn't, what bacteria can grow at what environments, and what temperatures the nasties are killed at--this book is a freaking bible. The recipes didn't appeal to me as much though.
Sara
I don't even remember where I heard about Well-Preserved anymore. I seem to have neglected to note that information when I added it to my Goodreads reading list. What I do know is that with the Farmer's Market starting to fill out, and the garden at Mom and Dad's house planted, it seemed like it might be time to read the book about small-batch canning and preserving.

The book begins with a short introduction and a description of each of the methods that author Eugenia Bone uses to preserve foods
Arlian
A completely wonderful canning book! So many canning books are pretty much the same; they have the same ol' same ol' recipes. Pickled Asparagus. Pickled Beets. Stone Fruit Conserve. Chutney. etc etc. Eugenia Bone manages to have a lot of originality in this book, like Cherries in wine, Fava Bean Cream, and Zucchini Flower Sauce to name a few. Another wonderful thing about is that she includes several recipes in which to use your canned item. As a vegan, I can't eat all her recipes (pheasant with ...more
Greta
While this was an interesting book, after reading "Tart and Sweet", it was a bit of a disappointment. Even though the title inferred it, many of the recipes couldn't actually be preserved - refrigerated, yes, but canned, no - and that's what I was really looking for. However, I did like that, after each main recipe (for example, green olive tapenade), the author provided a least two or three recipes that incorporated the result (pizza with mozzarella and tapenade). The recipes themselves sound t ...more
Although the information in the first part of the book is invaluable, the rest of the book is full of recipes for foods I'll never prepare nor eat. I'm glad I read it but don't be picking this one back up when it's time to can again.
Penny
The recipes are indeed small batches - I'd certainly double them if I'm going to go to the trouble to can things. There are the usual sorts of fruit recipes and some interesting ones. Like what? Like canning tuna. Yes, fresh tuna. It sounds really good and not so hard at all.

Some of the recipes for using the preserved items are a bit too fussy for my kitchen (Baccala and marinated red bell pepper salad or Zucchini flower risotto) and some sound really good (Pork roast with apricot jam and thyme
Mary
I like the setup--how to can a small batch of a basic food combo; then a few recipes on how to use it. She includes 6 preservation methods: water bath canning, pickling, pressure canning, packed in oil, curing/smoking, and freezing. She also explains in detail what are the "rules", and which rules she fudges on. The main drawback that I see is that it's kinda fancy food. Fancy enough that I might not be able to think of any way to use it EXCEPT for her included recipes.

(doesn't mean I won't try
Bryan
Recommended by a friend; just the introduction to canning and food preservation I was looking for.
Matthew Kunnari
recipes for canning in small batches. the author is a chief and she is italian-american, so the food is good. she provides three recipes for each canning recipe. a lot of the recipes are ones that she has grown up on or her father (an immigrant from italy) taught her.

i hadn't done much canning before this, but this book has opened my heart and stomach to this method of preserving/cooking. the book is informative for beginners. i've showed it to experienced canners and they've been intrigued as w
Ami
I really enjoyed the concept and execution of this book. The author provides the recipes for a few, more exotic canning and preserving recipes. Then she gives recipes to use the canned goods in. There were several photos (and I love good food photographs) and I am now filled with a burning desire to can my own tun. However, living in the middle of the U.S. and far from the ocean is making this difficult to fulfill.
The only thing I wish is that the author included a few more canning recipes for
jessica
tomatoes. canned. september 19th, 2009. made it before the end of summer!

applesauce. canned. september 19th, 2009.

next up, sauerkraut!

tasty goodies in jars look so beautiful. this nourishing process is worthy of the work that goes into it.

this is a nice book with unique options for different methods of preservation. some are more practical than others. the instructions and guidelines are clear and ms. bone includes recipes for cooking with your creations.
Zacksmom Okon
Very, very well put together -- finally! I despise "preservation" books that are just user-unfriendly. Either too scientific, or just plain impractical. This one is a true gem for the "family garden". Simple science - no fluff - straight to the point coupled with practical usage from harvest to kitchen table. Highly recommended to anyone with a "family garden" who is scared to death to "can" :)
AJ
I was looking forward to this one because I have grown a small amount of crops, and only tend to buy small amounts of fruits and veggies at farmer's markets, so I'm not interested in recipes that call for 100 pounds of tomatoes. However, there weren't that many recipes in here, lots of them call for butter (which I just plain don't like to exist in my jams) and many more were just not thrilling to me.
Wendy
Grumpy because now I wish I had a pressure canner again. (Most things here have water-bath instructions, but the pressure canner is so much more efficient.) If I entertained more often there are a bunch of things here that I'd make, and I think there are a few I will try. Surprised that she counts things that only last for ten days as "preserved".
Melody
Clear, concise and scientific instructions on how to preserve just about any kind of food. It's not a book that one can read and absorb, though- it's a book that will need to be spread out on one's counter, getting spattered with tomato seeds and propped up on canisters. This belongs on any serious preserver's cookbook shelf.
Jennifer Jarrell
As a beginning canner I will likely need more than just this book. That said, I won't regret purchasing it. Full of beautiful color photos, the book details recipes using a handful of specific canned items with clearly outlined instructions. I'm looking forward to testing some of them out.
Kristen
Love this! I'm really excited to try some of these new-to-me techniques. I'm an experienced canner, but I've never smoked or oil-packed anything. The canning recipes, too, are different from much of what I've done before. The book was fun to read and promises to be even more fun to try.
Sue
Great resource for small batch canning. I loved this book as there are canning projects you can "sneak in" to your larder without a large time commitment. It's also a great way to try preserving new recpies and not investing a lot in something you might not enjoy in large quantities.
Kristen
I guess I've got some weird anti-snob snobbery I should face up to but as soon as I see recipes for veal, quail, and/or wild duck (all of which are in this book), I lose virtually all interest in a cookbook. I skimmed the recipes, but didn't really see anything that thrilled me.
Catherine Woodman
I have reviewed almost every preserving book that has come out in the last decade or so, and this one is really a welcome addition--lots of great ideas, and I will get it out of the library again when we are back into canning season and perhaps even go so far as to own it in the future.
Kate
This book should be included in first time canners' required reading list. She invokes practical, logical reasoning for science stuff that other books don't ever get into. She helps you see why things are safe (or not) and develop confidence in your own canning process.
Amy
I love that Ms. Bone has not only included the recipes for canning, but also recipes for how to use the canned product. Brilliant! And the are all small batches, which is a relief. I don't fear standing in the kitchen all day working the canner.
Gemma
A good combination of recipes for canning, and then recipes to use what you've canned...... Not as much variety of actual recipes to can, and not as handy as a primer compared to other books I've used to research the world of canning.
Leah
I really enjoyed this book. It has some amazing recipes and I appreciate that she works in small batches. I think that will work well for someone first starting out. It also is great for someone like me that is only one person.
Carla
Lots of good info on different ways of preserving, well-presented. Each recipe is followed by ways to use it.(ie green olive paste on pizza w/ mozzarell'-yum!) Now to try making something.
Jodi
Finally! A simple, clear voice that helped me get past my fear of canning (or poisoning myself and others) and successfully can my first few jars of applesauce! She also shares some great recipes.
Emily
Written by a woman who knows her stuff and both loves and is reverent of food. Wonderful canning and preserving techniques and safety tips, delicious-looking recipes, and drool-worthy pictures
Lenna
This is not a how-to book for canning beginners. It is mostly recipes for canning and recipes for using pre-canned foods. The recipes look lovely, but I need to learn to can first.
Teresa
I'm not sure what I think of this yet. It has a lot of recipes, but not all for preserving things. Pretty photos too. Again, like The Apron Book, not quite what I was envisioning.
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • The Joy of Pickling - Revised: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Putting Food By
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
Eugenia Bone, a veteran food writer who has published in many national magazines and newspapers, is also a cookbook author. She has contributed to many cookbooks and a few literary journals, been nominated for a variety of food writing awards and participated in radio, interactive and online interviews, in addition to appearing multiple times on television. Eugenia teaches and lectures about food ...more
More about Eugenia Bone...
Mycophilia: Revelations from the Weird World of Mushrooms At Mesa's Edge: Cooking and Ranching in Colorado's North Fork Valley The Kitchen Ecosystem: Creating a Perpetual Pantry and Integrating Fresh, Preserved, and Other Simple Recipes into Your Kitchen The Kitchen Ecosystem: Integrating Recipes to Create Delicious Meals A Chef's Tale: A Memoir of Food, France and America