Start by marking “Bhagavad Gita: The Beloved Lord's Secret Love Song” as Want to Read:
Bhagavad Gita: The Beloved Lord's Secret Love Song

Bhagavad Gita: The Beloved Lord's Secret Love Song

The Bhagavad Gita is often regarded as the Bible of India. With a gripping story and deeply compelling message, it is unquestionably one of the most popular sacred texts of Asia and, along with the Bible and the Qur'an, one of the most important holy scriptures in the world.

Part of an ancient Hindu epic poem, the dialogue of the Bhagavad Gita takes place on a battlefield,
Published September 28th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bhagavad Gita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bhagavad Gita

Carie
Jul 31, 2007 Carie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yoga students
I spent ten years like most Americans who do yoga, using the practice as an antidote to city stress, as calisthenic goldenseal after a party weekend, and to keep my tummy flat. Since I've recently become aware of the profound tradition that informs our misguided versions of yoga practice (tell ya right now, the 1000-degree-room-thing isn't in the scripture), I'm 1) kind of embarrassed for being so ignorant, 2) on a mission to get smarter, and 3) hoping that I can convince other people of how muc ...more
Sue
Dec 03, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very inspirational and thought provoking book. I recommend.
Rachel Voltz
Dec 28, 2016 Rachel Voltz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best professor I have ever had, it's the easiest translation of the Bhagavad Gita I've ever read and it really makes you think.
Balaram Briant
Oct 28, 2016 Balaram Briant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book review.

Before there were Joyce, Faulkner, Woolf, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Nabokov, the modernist novel; before Ezra Pound and T. S. Eliot; before thinkers like Darwin, Freud, Einstein, and Nietzsche; or Conrad, Flaubert, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy; before the novel was born with Cervantes or the essay with Michel de Montaigne; before monotheism was allegedly born from the loins of Abraham; before the very birth of western thought, somewhere off in Greece—before Socrates drunk hemlock;
Victoria Klein
Let me start by saying this is the first full version of the Bhagavad Gita that I’ve ever read, so I can’t make any comparisons to other translations. I have read many quotes from the text, but this is the first time I’ve read the whole Gita beginning to end.

That being said, this translation & brief commentary by Graham Schweig is phenomenal!

I liken reading the Bhagavad Gita to reading Shakespeare - the text is rich with meaning, though it may be tough to grasp without extra insight. Schwei
Thomas
Sep 19, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second translation of the BG I have read, the other of which was Stephen Mitchell's.

This one was FAR superior, in every way.

The footnotes add tremendously to the read and help clarify translational choices.

Amazing.
Hurricanekerrie
Apr 20, 2013 Hurricanekerrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I was inspired to read the Bhagavad Gita for a second time after reading about the Battle of Kurukshetra in Christopher Pike's Thirst V (oh, yes, it goes there.) Reading a book like the Bhagavad Gita, one must have no preconceptions and prejudices, one must be empty of mindless thoughts. Indeed, Krishna talks about this in the book. While reading, I felt hypnotized by the text-- I don't know if it was the flow of the text or the words, the repetitiveness or the unknown, foreign words... but Kris ...more
Karen
Jan 11, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bhagavad Gita is lovely and beautiful. This translation was not my favorite though. It is very prose-y and I felt like it lost a lot of its beautiful poetic quality. Additionally, I did not like how familiar concepts like "gunas" are translated into "qualities," which I found more confusing than just leaving them as they are originally. That said, the message is always good and this is fair translation.
Rose
Mar 10, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Such a gorgeous translation. I thought I was swept up by Eknath Easwaran's translation, but this one . . . reading it felt like standing on a beach with the wind blowing through hair. I felt so inspired and comforted.

I'd love to read this once every year...

Emily
May 31, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yogis
Shelves: yoga
I just finished taking a class on this translation of the Bhagavad Gita, and it was pretty good. Contrary to popular belief, this book isn't specific to the Hindu religion--it's about yoga. Also contrary to popular belief, yoga isn't about putting your foot behind your head.

Patricia
Nov 23, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an open mind
Recommended to Patricia by: lit teacher
Nothing has changed in the relationship between men and women, and those chose to fulfill missions whether they knew it or not or wanted it or not.

A beautiful read and a must read to understand current Indian literature.

Jolinda Eibert
Had to read in my Humanities colloquium class. Some things I still don't get because I can't cross through the cultural barriers.
Alexander
Mar 27, 2012 Alexander rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it liked it
May 31, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2010
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2012
Courtney
Courtney rated it really liked it
May 03, 2012
Darryl
Darryl rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Mac
Mac rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2014
Megs
Megs rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2008
Anne Marie
Anne Marie rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2011
Meha
Meha rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Eli
Eli rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Susan
Jan 28, 2012 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
retrieve from the library again some day
Gabrielle Haley
Gabrielle Haley rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Kali-pavana Dasa
Kali-pavana Dasa rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2011
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
2075960
Graham M. Schweig is the author and translator of Dance of Divine Love: The Råsa Lîlå of Krishna. After completing graduate work at the University of Chicago and Harvard University, he became associate professor of religious studies at Christopher Newport University and visiting associate professor of Sanskrit at the University of Virginia. Schweig was recently a Visiting Fellow of Hindu studies a ...more
More about Graham M. Schweig...