Start by marking “Green Babies, Sage Moms: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Your Organic Baby” as Want to Read:
Green Babies, Sage Moms: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Your Organic Baby

Green Babies, Sage Moms: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Your Organic Baby

From the trailblazing founder of Green Babies organic clothing comes the very first guide for new mothers in raising a "green" family-and doing it simply and inexpensively. Filled with necessary and convenient advice that takes the reader from the first months of pregnancy and beyond, this indispensable book explains:

- The safest ways to get the house ready for the baby
Published January 2nd 2008 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Green Babies, Sage Moms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Babies, Sage Moms

Lolakay
Mar 30, 2008 Lolakay rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: parenting
My mother-in-law picked this up for me, warning that it had some kooky stuff (you really need to buy a positive-ion hairdryer!), but some useful info (easy categorization of the best and worst plastics). She was right, but this book is really distasteful on a number of levels. I'll try to be brief. (Note, I tried, but failed!)

First, there are no footnotes. Not a single study is cited. Instead, we get high-level generalizations and testimonials from celebrities. (Oh, and misinformation. She warn
Rachael
Mar 21, 2008 Rachael rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I thought the actual content was very interesting and informative--I liked learning more about the potential biohazards in...well, everything from perfumes to clothes to nail polish. On the other hand, it made me afraid of my sheets, face wash, and moisturizer when it was actually time to go to bed.

What really bothered me about this book was the way the author tried to establish her credentials not on a basis of scientific knowledge, but o
Gingeraltoids
Feb 17, 2009 Gingeraltoids rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but I have to say that by the second to last chapter, I just couldn't take the author's "chirpy doomsday" tone any longer. I consider myself to be environmentally conscious, and therefore purchased this book in the hopes of preparing my home, yard and person for a hoped-for baby. The book is divided into three sections: pregnancy, newborns and toddler/growing child. In each section, risks are identified and alternative organic products/services are identified t ...more
Sepideh
Aug 31, 2010 Sepideh rated it it was ok
Shelves: baby
Regina
Jul 11, 2008 Regina rated it it was ok
This book made me feel really paranoid about parabens (common preservative in most beauty products), pesticides (used to grow cotton and food products), pthalates often found in synthesized plastics and synthetic fibers like vinyl)and bisphenol-A (sometimes used in plasic baby bottles). I was already paranoid about household cleaners, especially bleach, so that chapter did not phase me.

On the one hand, the last thing any new parent needs is a reason to worry and/or a reason to become more consu
Dana
Feb 14, 2009 Dana rated it it was ok
The only reason this book is getting 2 stars is b/c of the great recipes and websites. Other than that, this book is too over the top for me. In order to do most of the suggestions listed in this book, you need to have a bottomless bank account. There are very few practical and inexpensive alternatives. This book also uses scare tactics, which don't impress me.
Mar 02, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
So far some good ideas. I am not much of a green person but it caught my eye.
Natalia
Nov 15, 2016 Natalia rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-books
I've had this book for a long time and started reading it many times, but never finished. It is a collection of tips on how to clean up your house and start leaving healthier life. I just could not like this book. I felt author lacked credibility in order for me to take her advice seriously. I donated it to the library.
Rachel
Jul 21, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Overall this book was a little preachy on organics. I realize that if you're a rich ex-model you can afford organic baby clothes and expensive organic makeup and other things like that. Normal people, living paycheck to paycheck, cannot. So I'll take some of the points you have, such as how to make natural highlights, soothing natural treatment for rough heels (which is hard to avoid in Phoenix), and how to use baking soda to clean your house. I will also check out some of the links you provided ...more
Jen
Jun 12, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jen by: Amazon
This book came fairly highly recommended on Amazon and I've been toying with going organic for baby, so I thought it might have some good tips. Most of it was first person commentary though from company CEOs and other seemingly non-biased "experts".

The book is organized into sections for baby and for mom - for example, it had a section on lotions / creams for mom to use and then what you might use on baby later in the book. There are also sections on bedding, household products, etc. I only fou
Jillian
Jan 16, 2015 Jillian rated it did not like it
This book was not great. The author didn't back up most of her statements with solid research, but instead consulted CEOs and other people from so-called green companies. The book was also focused mainly on "green" consumerism, rather than true sustainability from reducing what we use. Her product recommendations were out of reach for many people price wise as well. I didn't find her to be a credible source for information because her main tactic to convince readers of why we should believe her ...more
erinn
Jun 09, 2009 erinn rated it liked it
Shelves: prego-baby, children
I would not buy this book. Try to get it out of your library. It is worth skimming through and taking down some notes of products and websites that she recommend. I would also photocopy the the websites she lists in the back. I would recommend The Complete Organic Pregnancy in addition and might recommend buying that one instead. Similar angle, similar information, but TCOP has more info and cites lots of sources so you can do some of your own follow up research which I think is really important ...more
Terrie
May 29, 2008 Terrie rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People on my parenting forum (the nutty one)
I usually can get a couple tips from a book like this, but not this time. It's full of gems such as "Some studies estimate that one in 500 children who play on arsenic-treated wood playgrounds may develop fatal cancer later in life due to this exposure". Note she doesn't say which studies, how many, how they estimated, and even this statement says they "may" develop cancer.

The book makes numerous dire statements, refers to mysterious "studies" throughout, and does not contain a single footnote o
Nov 24, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Though I'd have a long way to go to be as green as Lynda Fassa, this is a book I was able to take away a lot of helpful hints from. And as she says at the beginning of the book, it's not just for expecting moms and dads but also for the people around them... There is a lot to be learned from this book about how we can all make our lives that bit greener, not just as parents. I haven't disposed of the washing powder quite yet but I have done several washes with bicarbonate of soda and it seems to ...more
Kirsten
Nov 27, 2009 Kirsten rated it liked it
I am currently reading this book and thus far my biggest complaint is that many of the products that are endorsed are wickedly expensive. I work very hard to be as eco-friendly as possible, but I am also a full-time mother who's husband is working two jobs to make it possible for me to raise our daughter. I can't spend over $20.00 on an item of makeup. Some of her ideas are great, and there are some frugal options, but I'm not learning a whole lot more than I already knew. Still, it is a good re ...more
Shannon
Aug 04, 2014 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
This book was written for upper-class moms and didn't necessarily offer solutions for different types of moms. The author is a former model living in Westchester county who makes her own green baby clothes as a business, if that tells you anything. The book is full of recommendations for particular brands of products, with the owners of their companies piping in for guest appearances.

While there were some good ideas in here, I didn't feel it had a lot of substance - or science.
Jamie
Jan 28, 2009 Jamie rated it liked it
This book has some good ideas, some are a bit extreme and would cause me to rack up an incredible amount of debt on the old credit card. But I have decided I will try and do little things like make my own baby food, cloth diaper, and use items like vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda for cleaning. I am on the other hand not going to buy an organic crib mattress, organic crib sheets and baby clothes, and spend a fortune on high end paraben free cosmetics used by the likes of angelina jolie.
Katie
Apr 12, 2013 Katie rated it did not like it
as a mother of two beautiful girls and bubs on the way, i decided that i would try and go more green this time around :)
i was expecting this book to be really good and to give me some great advise aswell as tips to making green parenting easy...
well lets just say what a drag!!!! this book was a half star for me it was that bad.......
I'll be writing a blog post about this one. Great resource! It isn't just about babies (being pregnant or raising them or otherwise); it is full of eye opening, jaw dropping information that cannot be ignored.
Khinna
Oct 16, 2008 Khinna added it
Recommends it for: want-to-be-green-mothers
As far as becoming green, I really am a light sage color. I have a lot of work to do, but this book gave sufficient information that didn't make me feel guilty I was a granola mom. I gathered some helpful cleaning, and household tips. It's a great introduction to becoming green.
Meredith
Feb 09, 2009 Meredith rated it really liked it
Overall, I think this book has a lot of useful information for everyone, not just those with children. I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 because all of the "green" product recommmendations are incredibly pricey. This book definitely is geared toured yuppy parents.
Jaimee
Oct 07, 2009 Jaimee rated it liked it
Some useful and interesting information, but lacking in some areas like cloth diapering. I also found the websites she chose to be really arbitrary, leaving out some of the biggies like the mothering and diaperswappers forums.
Whitney
Dec 07, 2008 Whitney rated it liked it
Umm...really good information, and LOTS of resources, but the writing is kind of hard to get through sometimes, I guess that is what you get when a model turns writer! But still informative because the author has many guest writers who give a lot of info, and resources to research further.
Marie
Apr 06, 2011 Marie rated it it was amazing
I really like this book, it is the kind of book that once you read it you need to keep it out for references. There are recipies in there for adults and babies and natural cleaning recipies for the house...very informative for those that don't have kids either!!
Joelle
Oct 02, 2008 Joelle rated it really liked it
this is a super quick read, and has great information about how to protect your child and your home from all of the chemicals and the environment.

it also has lots of practical tips as to how you can make changes even if you don't want to become an environmental or organic fanatic.
Eve
Jan 30, 2009 Eve rated it it was amazing
Lynda Fassa does a wonderful job of explaining the importance of being "green" for ourselves and our fetuses! She also includes great resources and home remedies and recipes in this fabulous short read.
Sarah Wade
Jan 21, 2010 Sarah Wade rated it it was amazing
Lee gave me this for Christmas and I just love it! What great advise for everyone, pregnant or not, about the importance of organic foods, clean products and everything else. Lee chose a great book!
Raz Godelnik
Jun 03, 2008 Raz Godelnik rated it really liked it
You can find my review of the book at Eco-Libris blog:

CSEM
Jun 25, 2012 CSEM rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-books

I already knew a lot of the info in this book, but it had a lot of companies to look into.
Heather
Apr 26, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
great book to read when pregnant and before!!! makes u think about what really affects that little person :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • Raising Baby Green: The Earth-Friendly Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Care
  • The Eco-nomical Baby Guide: Down-to-Earth Ways for Parents to Save Money and the Planet
  • The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth (Sears Parenting Library)
  • Healthy Child Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home
  • Mothering Magazine's Having a Baby, Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time
  • Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Vegan Living
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • Unassisted Childbirth
  • The Carbon-Free Home: 36 Remodeling Projects to Help Kick the Fossil-Fuel Habit
  • Adventures in Natural Childbirth: Tales from Women on the Joys, Fears, Pleasures, and Pains of Giving Birth Naturally
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • Easy Labor: Every Woman's Guide to Choosing Less Pain and More Joy During Childbirth