Start by marking “Feeding the Dragon: A Culinary Travelogue Through China with Recipes” as Want to Read:
Feeding the Dragon: A Culinary Travelogue Through China with Recipes

Feeding the Dragon: A Culinary Travelogue Through China with Recipes

Young, American siblings Mary Kate and Nate Tate traveled throughout contemporary China, collecting stories, photographs, and recipes of their experiences along the way. A Chinese cookbook for the Lonely Planet set.

With little more than two backpacks, a camera, and a tarp, Mandarin-speaking American brother and sister Nate and Mary Kate Tate traveled more than 9,700 miles
Published October 4th 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published September 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Feeding the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feeding the Dragon

Katie
Aug 23, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Now THIS is a cookbook. If I were to sit down and write one, I really hope that it would be something like this. Part travelogue, part photography book and part cookbook, Nate Tate and his sister Mary Kate Tate take you on a tour of China and delight awaits you at every turn.

They have succeeded in writing a cookbook that not only highlights great regional cuisine, they make all of the recipes accessible to just about anyone who has an interest in cooking. I would cook more Chinese food, but I'm
Norma
Feb 23, 2012 Norma rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about this book, I was thinking it was going to be a simple cookbook with some stories added to it. This book was so much more then that.

I was blown away by the history and culture that was shared on each page. The photos were awesome. The Tates made me want to hop on a plane and visit China.

First off, on the inside of the cover is a hand drawn map of China. Upon the map are drawn food items so you can get a somewhat general idea of where they were and the foods of the areas.
Carol Harlow
Oct 19, 2011 Carol Harlow rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! The travels of brother and sister Nate and Mary Kate Tate tell quite a story. The recipes in this book are amazing and you can picture the surroundings as brother and sister relate their experiences with the food of each of these nine regions in China. There are so many recipes that I can’t wait to try out!
Monica
Apr 04, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
It was fun to read about two young people travelling through China on a shoestring budget. They did a lot of things that I would never dream of ever trying, like sleeping on park benches in HK, better them than me.

I didn't give them 5 stars because I prefer to get my recipes for chinese food from chinese chefs, but otherwise, it was a fun read and the recipes still made me drool.
Jules
Dec 06, 2011 Jules rated it it was amazing
As a friend of one of the authors, I know how much hard work went into this masterpiece. A longer review to come, after I finish perusing the final product, which may take some time! There is so much in this book to digest, which I mean both in the literal, recipe sense as well as in the wealth of information and beautiful photography this book contains.
Tatiana
Feb 10, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is part travelogue part cookbook. There are some fantastic recipes in the book, from different areas of China, which is usually not standard for Chinese cookbooks (e.g., Xinjiang, Yunnan, Sichuan provinces all in one). A quick read designed to make you hungry.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Oct 03, 2011 Natashya KitchenPuppies rated it really liked it
A lovely book written by a brother/sister team. This will be popular with fans of Alford and Duguid.
And the potstickers are to die for!
Rey
Mar 04, 2012 Rey rated it it was amazing
Such a delightful trip through China, as I read I was taken back to many of my experiences there! And the food is rather delicious as well!
Thea Levesque
Thea Levesque rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Jenne Kopalek
Jenne Kopalek rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2011
Natalia Tabisaura
Natalia Tabisaura rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Patricia Kroboth
Patricia Kroboth rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Chev
Chev rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2013
Edel
Edel rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Jecho
Jecho rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Caitlyn
Caitlyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Rachael Whikehart
Rachael Whikehart rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Katherine Cargill
Katherine Cargill rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Tom Carter
Tom Carter rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014
Ker
Ker marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2011
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2011
Kimfu
Kimfu marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2011
Diana Duncan
Diana Duncan marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Glennchuck
Glennchuck marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2012
Jackie Harrison-jewell
Jackie Harrison-jewell marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2012
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Stephan
Stephan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2012
-rachel
-rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jon Higham
Jon Higham marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Anna Demchenko
Anna Demchenko marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Brooke
Brooke added it
Oct 14, 2015
Lisse Duvic
Lisse Duvic marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Effy
Effy marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016