Start by marking “Positive Discipline for Teenagers, Revised 2nd Edition: Empowering Your Teens and Yourself Through Kind and Firm Parenting” as Want to Read:

Positive Parenting for Those Important Teen Years
Adolescence is often a time of great stress and turmoil—not only for kids going through it, but for you, their parents as well. During the teen years, kids aggressively begin to explore a new sense of freedom, which often leads to feelings of resentment and powerlessness for parents who increasingly are excluded from their c
Published December 29th 2010 by Harmony (first published January 24th 1994)

Be the first to ask a question about Positive Discipline for Teenagers, Revised 2nd Edition

Lora
May 17, 2010 Lora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a psychotherapist working with teens and families. I give this book to almost all of my parents at our first session. I often hear back that after reading the first few pages, they felt a huge sense of relief. I highly recommend this book for every parent!
Sandy  Kemp
The first part was quite good, and there was some useful information about helping the teen recognize their emotions, a table of personality types at the end (which probably should have been way in the beginning), and a few other parts I found helpful. I liked the reminders that your relationship with your child is precious and the most important thing.

Having said that - it's also important to try to help your teen make good choices. I do not believe that letting them do whatever they want and j
Shelli
Jan 11, 2015 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter noticed this book on my tablet and asked why I was reading it. Thankfully things have gone well so far on this teenage journey; however we are only just at the beginning. I told her that I would rather gather information before there is a problem so when and if those problems arise I might better handle them. She replied by telling me how smart of a mother she has; I rather love her. I found this book by accident and it couldn't have come at a more perfect time, when I need to start ...more
Michelle
Jul 14, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were parts of this book I didn't relate to very well--it could be a little over-the-top with the psychobabble, spent a lot of time trying to convince me that I had childhood "issues" I had to deal with first (If I'm going to wait to parent until I have all *my* childhood issues taken care of, I may as well have given up before I started) and there were some pretty, um, OK incredibly lenient examples in the book. (Fifteen-year-old-girl --"Hey, mom, I know how much you worry, so I'm going to ...more
H
Sep 01, 2012 H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all parenting books, this one has to be read with a large grain of salt. But it has enough wisdom in it to make it worth the read. I know it has helped me remember that with teens, sometimes you just have to let them have the snit.... I also think that the advice to be kind is well worth it, because it is way too easy to forget just how sensitive these kids still are. I also appreciate the being "firm" part, as it helps me when I hate saying "no" to remember that it is really helping them w ...more
Corrie
Apr 19, 2011 Corrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This approach to parenting is a complete paradigm shift for me. I appreciate Rachel sharing information about this author. I grew up with controlling parents and know first hand just how well that works out - you'd think I wouldn't repeat it, but then it's all I've known. This book makes sense and I know it will be hard to implement, but I think Rachel is right. This is how we should parent.
Cassandra
Aug 13, 2013 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting

I'm very intrigued by the parenting ideas in this book but am unsure of how they will translate into an older child adoption. The book assumes that the parent has already raised their child for 13 years. We're adopting an 11 year old and will be starting from scratch. Will some of these ideas work with her as well? It will be interesting to see what happens.
Kelly
Feb 12, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I knew that the ideas would be great. Jane Nelson and Lynn Lott always have great tools and suggestions. But this book was so much heavier on the "whys" than the other books in the PD sereies that I really got a lot more out of it. I will definitely be revisiting this book in the years to come.
Alicia
Sep 18, 2008 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of teenagers who need a new (long-term) approach
Recommended to Alicia by: my mom
Very interesting book. It helped me adjust my perspective on parenting teenagers. At first the book seemed too "easy" on obnoxious behavior, but I've been amazed how the calm approach really does work better than the controlling approach!
Colleen
Sep 06, 2013 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first respectful book I've read on parenting teens. The author believes in the fundamental dignity of children, adolescents and adults, and gives useful advice, placing responsibility for the relationship where it belongs-- with parents.
Littlecloud
Aug 11, 2011 Littlecloud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The kids in this book seem extremely mean- and They actually talk to their parents. Both of those are definitely NOT me. But some kids are like that, I guess
Jan Couture
Jun 06, 2014 Jan Couture rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book, full of great insights and suggestions. A must- read for anyone with a teen!! I'm going to keep it around and read it again!
Tracy
Aug 30, 2008 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but mostly aimed at families where the children aren't TOO troubled. Not totally realistic for me but still worth reading with some good suggestions.
Dru
Another in a long line of books attempting to make it easier on parents to raise teens. Not enough "get to the point" here. I just couldn't slog through another book like this.
Stephanie
Mar 07, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have a teenager, you should read this book. It will bring welcome insight, relief and guidance for this phase in your and your child's life.
David Lynch
May 04, 2013 David Lynch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the companion book to a 6-week parenting course I took. Very helpful and has improved relations greatly between my tween and I!
Alison
Dec 24, 2011 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will help you understand the mind of the teenager. Excellent. I highly recommend this book for parents of teens.
Adziah Aziz
Jul 21, 2011 Adziah Aziz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Telling & guiding us on how to handle our teens who is learning to be an adult.
Very informative & important to all the parents.
Andre Zollars
Feb 11, 2012 Andre Zollars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into parenting teenagers with lots of practical, useable advice. I know this will help me be a better parent!
Krista
Jun 04, 2009 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just re-read this. First time was about 5 yrs ago and I'd slipped back into some bad habits. It's an excellent approach to discipline (vs. punishment) coming from love and respect.
Stacie
Stacie rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Jennifer Hansen
Jennifer Hansen rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Jennifer Moore
Jennifer Moore rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
May 02, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Cretha
Cretha rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013
Joeline Wruck
Joeline Wruck rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Rachel Tunney Horsley
Rachel Tunney Horsley rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control: A Love-Based Approach to Helping Attachment-Challenged Children With Severe Behaviors, Volume 1
  • Conscious Discipline: 7 Basic Skills for Brain Smart Classroom Management
  • I'd Listen to My Parents If They'd Just Shut Up: What to Say and Not Say When Parenting Teens
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
  • Family Therapy: An Overview
  • The Irreducible Needs Of Children: What Every Child Must Have To Grow, Learn, And Flourish
  • Trauma Through a Child's Eyes: Awakening the Ordinary Miracle of Healing
  • Sleepless in America: Is Your Child Misbehaving...or Missing Sleep?
  • Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship
  • The Primal Teen: What the New Discoveries about the Teenage Brain Tell Us about Our Kids
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • Reasonable People
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • Yes, Your Teen is Crazy!: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind
  • The No-Cry Discipline Solution: Gentle Ways to Encourage Good Behavior Without Whining, Tantrums & Tears
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
Dr. Jane Nelsen is a licensed Marriage, Family and Child Counselor in South Jordan, UT and Carlsbad, CA.

She is the author and/or coauthor of the Positive Discipline Series.
More about Jane Nelsen...

“Stress is the space between your thoughts of how life should be and how life really is. This” 0 likes
“Although it may seem otherwise, teens have not grown up yet. Their behavior is only temporary. Teens want to explore how they are different from their families, how they feel and what they think about things, and what their own values are. This process of separation from the family is called” 0 likes