Start by marking “Positive Discipline for Teenagers, Revised 2nd Edition: Empowering Your Teens and Yourself Through Kind and Firm Parenting” as Want to Read:

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Positive Parenting for Those Important Teen Years
Adolescence is often a time of great stress and turmoil—not only for kids going through it, but for you, their parents as well. During the teen years, kids aggressively begin to explore a new sense of freedom, which often leads to feelings of resentment and powerlessness for parents who increasingly are excluded from their c
Published December 29th 2010 by Harmony (first published January 24th 1994)

Be the first to ask a question about Positive Discipline for Teenagers, Revised 2nd Edition

Shelli
My daughter noticed this book on my tablet and asked why I was reading it. Thankfully things have gone well so far on this teenage journey; however we are only just at the beginning. I told her that I would rather gather information before there is a problem so when and if those problems arise I might better handle them. She replied by telling me how smart of a mother she has; I rather love her. I found this book by accident and it couldn't have come at a more perfect time, when I need to start ...more
Lora
I am a psychotherapist working with teens and families. I give this book to almost all of my parents at our first session. I often hear back that after reading the first few pages, they felt a huge sense of relief. I highly recommend this book for every parent!
Sandy  Kemp
The first part was quite good, and there was some useful information about helping the teen recognize their emotions, a table of personality types at the end (which probably should have been way in the beginning), and a few other parts I found helpful. I liked the reminders that your relationship with your child is precious and the most important thing.

Having said that - it's also important to try to help your teen make good choices. I do not believe that letting them do whatever they want and j
Michelle
There were parts of this book I didn't relate to very well--it could be a little over-the-top with the psychobabble, spent a lot of time trying to convince me that I had childhood "issues" I had to deal with first (If I'm going to wait to parent until I have all *my* childhood issues taken care of, I may as well have given up before I started) and there were some pretty, um, OK incredibly lenient examples in the book. (Fifteen-year-old-girl --"Hey, mom, I know how much you worry, so I'm going to ...more
Alena Stocking
Good advice! I think I'll do it perfectly now that I have read this book (wink).
H
Like all parenting books, this one has to be read with a large grain of salt. But it has enough wisdom in it to make it worth the read. I know it has helped me remember that with teens, sometimes you just have to let them have the snit.... I also think that the advice to be kind is well worth it, because it is way too easy to forget just how sensitive these kids still are. I also appreciate the being "firm" part, as it helps me when I hate saying "no" to remember that it is really helping them w ...more
Jan Couture
This is an excellent book, full of great insights and suggestions. A must- read for anyone with a teen!! I'm going to keep it around and read it again!
Corrie
This approach to parenting is a complete paradigm shift for me. I appreciate Rachel sharing information about this author. I grew up with controlling parents and know first hand just how well that works out - you'd think I wouldn't repeat it, but then it's all I've known. This book makes sense and I know it will be hard to implement, but I think Rachel is right. This is how we should parent.
Cassandra

I'm very intrigued by the parenting ideas in this book but am unsure of how they will translate into an older child adoption. The book assumes that the parent has already raised their child for 13 years. We're adopting an 11 year old and will be starting from scratch. Will some of these ideas work with her as well? It will be interesting to see what happens.
Kelly
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I knew that the ideas would be great. Jane Nelson and Lynn Lott always have great tools and suggestions. But this book was so much heavier on the "whys" than the other books in the PD sereies that I really got a lot more out of it. I will definitely be revisiting this book in the years to come.
Sensibly Sassy
12th book of 2015
Colleen
This was the first respectful book I've read on parenting teens. The author believes in the fundamental dignity of children, adolescents and adults, and gives useful advice, placing responsibility for the relationship where it belongs-- with parents.
Alicia
Feb 10, 2009 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of teenagers who need a new (long-term) approach
Recommended to Alicia by: my mom
Very interesting book. It helped me adjust my perspective on parenting teenagers. At first the book seemed too "easy" on obnoxious behavior, but I've been amazed how the calm approach really does work better than the controlling approach!
Krista
Just re-read this. First time was about 5 yrs ago and I'd slipped back into some bad habits. It's an excellent approach to discipline (vs. punishment) coming from love and respect.
Dru
Another in a long line of books attempting to make it easier on parents to raise teens. Not enough "get to the point" here. I just couldn't slog through another book like this.
Tracy
Good but mostly aimed at families where the children aren't TOO troubled. Not totally realistic for me but still worth reading with some good suggestions.
Littlecloud
The kids in this book seem extremely mean- and They actually talk to their parents. Both of those are definitely NOT me. But some kids are like that, I guess
Stephanie
If you have a teenager, you should read this book. It will bring welcome insight, relief and guidance for this phase in your and your child's life.
David Lynch
This was the companion book to a 6-week parenting course I took. Very helpful and has improved relations greatly between my tween and I!
Andre Zollars
Great insight into parenting teenagers with lots of practical, useable advice. I know this will help me be a better parent!
Adziah Aziz
Telling & guiding us on how to handle our teens who is learning to be an adult.
Very informative & important to all the parents.
Alison
This book will help you understand the mind of the teenager. Excellent. I highly recommend this book for parents of teens.
Anji
i know kena is only twelve, just prepping myself. some good stuff, some not so good.
Shelley
great advice and helps get into a teens head. it's helping us a lot!
Hillary
Hillary is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
BEC
BEC is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2015
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control: A Love-Based Approach to Helping Attachment-Challenged Children With Severe Behaviors, Volume 1
  • Conscious Discipline: 7 Basic Skills for Brain Smart Classroom Management
  • Touchpoints 3 to 6
  • Trauma Through a Child's Eyes: Awakening the Ordinary Miracle of Healing
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
  • Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • Sleepless in America: Is Your Child Misbehaving...or Missing Sleep?
  • Reasonable People
  • The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases and What They Teach Us about Human Behavior
  • The Primal Teen: What the New Discoveries about the Teenage Brain Tell Us about Our Kids
  • Yes, Your Teen Is Crazy!: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind
  • Parenting the Hurt Child: Helping Adoptive Families Heal and Grow
  • The No-Cry Discipline Solution: Gentle Ways to Encourage Good Behavior Without Whining, Tantrums & Tears
  • Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Resposible Adulthood
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
Dr. Jane Nelsen is a licensed Marriage, Family and Child Counselor in South Jordan, UT and Carlsbad, CA.

She is the author and/or coauthor of the Positive Discipline Series.
More about Jane Nelsen...
Positive Discipline Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful (Revised 2nd Ed) Positive Discipline A-Z: 1001 Solutions to Everyday Parenting Problems Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People

“Stress is the space between your thoughts of how life should be and how life really is. This” 0 likes
“Although it may seem otherwise, teens have not grown up yet. Their behavior is only temporary. Teens want to explore how they are different from their families, how they feel and what they think about things, and what their own values are. This process of separation from the family is called” 0 likes