Ancient Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction

Ancient Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #26)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The tradition of ancient philosophy is a long, rich and varied one, in which the notes of discussion and argument constantly resound. This book aims to introduce readers to some ancient debates and to get them to engage with the ancient developments of some themes. Getting away from the presentation of ancient philosophy as a succession of Great Thinkers, the book aims to...more
Published January 18th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 12th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Philosophy

Sandra
Excellent tool for those seeking to understand the relationship between the self, society and authority. Especially, those contemplating their own religious beliefs or questioning their faith. I personally had very little knowledge of philosophy, ethics, morality and so on before reading this but today i find myself using theories or arguments used as illustrations in this book to relate and explain modern day controversies. The illustrations used in this book were easily accessible and very wel...more
John
Read as audiobook--recorded with professional smoothness by a reader who plainly understood what the author was saying. Annas takes some basic ideas, such as the conflict between anger and reason in Medea over whether it was right to slaughter her children, and the classical notion of "happiness" and uses them as springboards to discussions of several Classical philosophical stances and schools. Requires paying careful attention, but rewarding.
Judith
I've tried this book because I wanted to get a glimpse of what philosophy is all about (apart from what I heard in school).

Annas does a very good job in making the complexity easier to understand and in helping to get an idea of the many philosophers in ancient times and their ideas.

I must confess I won't start reading philosophic texts in the near future, but this book is certainly recommended for anyone who wants to know the basics.
Keshnee
This is a very interesting book - I suppose this will depend on how familiar you are with philosophy. It provided me with a good base to start my journey into ancient philosophy (I am a complete beginner - I didn't even realise that philosophy consisted of so much more than just morals and ethics). It also provided me with some useful references to be able to further my understanding of Philosophy.
Maria
a really nice book. Nothing new (in fact it doesn´t cover too much), but it´s a good model of how to begin an introductory class in philosophy, I think. I liked the problem centered approach, which is a shorter path to "how is this relevant?"

This is the type of book I´d give my father to read (if only I found a translation), to give him an idea of what is it that I´m "wasting my time with".
Daniel Wright
From what I remember of this (it was a long time ago) it did not seem to get to the point very well, consequently not imparting much actual knowledge. Other books probably provide a more solid foundation for the subject.
Steve Mitchell
Once again this book does exactly what it sets out to do on the cover, the difference here compared to the other books that I have read in the series is that I have seriously studied the further reading section.
Noha
I liked the way it showed how u can engage with philosophy so soon if the subject is relevant to you. Other than that i think it fairly covered everything but for an "introductory lecture" it is quite interesting
Oscar
A very good and critical introduction to the problems and concerns of ancient philosophers. I recommend it to anyone interested in the ideas and concepts discussed in Ancient Greece.
AHMED ADEL SALAMA
كتاب جيد جدا في نصفه لأول حيث اللمحات التاريخية و القضايا الفلسفية البسيطة و المفهومة و لكن في النصف الآخر أصبح ممل جدا جدا و غير منطقي و بعيد عن العقل المعاصر ليستوعبه.
Mike
Jan 05, 2013 Mike added it
just what it says, a very short introduction to Ancient Philosophy. And also very good.
Anne
It did what it sets out to do.In other words, it is perfect.
Mohit Sharma
Mohit Sharma is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Wael Sabsabi
Wael Sabsabi marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Deee
Deee added it
Sep 10, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
AB
AB marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Nicole Donnelly
Nicole Donnelly marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
James
James added it
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Plato: A Very Short Introduction Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Scepticism An Introduction to Plato's Republic The Morality of Happiness Voices of Ancient Philosophy: An Introductory Reader