Start by marking “Ancient Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction ” as Want to Read:
Ancient Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction

Ancient Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #26)

Published January 18th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published October 12th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Philosophy

Blake
Mar 28, 2016 Blake rated it really liked it
A few years ago, when trying to get through Russell's A History of Western Philosophy, I was struck by what I'm inclined now to describe as authorial indecision. Russell would find himself in a wood with two divergent paths and, rather than settling finally on one or the other, would return again and again to that moment of choice. He could remain a mere speaker for the facts for just so long, before he would find himself bringing those facts to bear on the moment and the situatedness of himself ...more
Mark Fallon
Sep 05, 2016 Mark Fallon rated it really liked it
I love the "Very Short Introduction" series by the Oxford University press!

In this book, Professor Annas provides a good overview of the ancient Greek philosophers, and why they're still important today. Annas makes the subject accessible, and the reader feels like they're auditing a semester of lectures. Can only imagine the discussion in her courses.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Ancient Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #26), Julia Annas

The tradition of ancient philosophy is a long, rich and varied one, in which the notes of discussion and argument constantly resound. This book aims to introduce readers to some ancient debates and to get them to engage with the ancient developments of some themes. Getting away from the presentation of ancient philosophy as a succession of Great Thinkers, the book aims to give readers a sense of the freshnes
Sandra
Aug 06, 2011 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Excellent tool for those seeking to understand the relationship between the self, society and authority. Especially, those contemplating their own religious beliefs or questioning their faith. I personally had very little knowledge of philosophy, ethics, morality and so on before reading this but today i find myself using theories or arguments used as illustrations in this book to relate and explain modern day controversies. The illustrations used in this book were easily accessible and very wel ...more
Tomasz
Aug 08, 2016 Tomasz rated it did not like it
I was looking for a book, that I could recommend to my students. Althought this one is easy to read, its structure is a mess. For such a short book, there are too many too lenghty examples. Author jumps from one topic to another and reader gets glimpses of some problems (important ones, I admit), but others are left untouched. There is no big picture or clear structure, that will help you organize your knowledge. You can read it once and it won't be a total waste of time, but it is not a good re ...more
John
May 11, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
Read as audiobook--recorded with professional smoothness by a reader who plainly understood what the author was saying. Annas takes some basic ideas, such as the conflict between anger and reason in Medea over whether it was right to slaughter her children, and the classical notion of "happiness" and uses them as springboards to discussions of several Classical philosophical stances and schools. Requires paying careful attention, but rewarding.
Judith
Apr 13, 2014 Judith rated it liked it
I've tried this book because I wanted to get a glimpse of what philosophy is all about (apart from what I heard in school).

Annas does a very good job in making the complexity easier to understand and in helping to get an idea of the many philosophers in ancient times and their ideas.

I must confess I won't start reading philosophic texts in the near future, but this book is certainly recommended for anyone who wants to know the basics.
Marcus Vinicius
Jul 19, 2015 Marcus Vinicius rated it it was amazing

Arguments and Conversation
Julia Annas, in a readable and clear way, exposes in this short work the main aspects of ancient philosophy. The curiosity about the world's mysteries and the discoveries of our search for knowledge propel this ancient endeavour. The differents philosophers of the time and their works are refered and interpreted (the multiples understandings of the same work are pointed). Ancient philosophy, the author points, is better understanded as a conversation, one in with diffe
Phil
Jun 03, 2016 Phil rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this - a good overview of philosophical ideas. I'll mention that Annas finished with a story about a personification of philosophy, who was sent by Zeus to help Man become better as a species. I think that we can all learn a thing or two from the past, and reasoned argument.
Keshnee
Apr 22, 2013 Keshnee rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This is a very interesting book - I suppose this will depend on how familiar you are with philosophy. It provided me with a good base to start my journey into ancient philosophy (I am a complete beginner - I didn't even realise that philosophy consisted of so much more than just morals and ethics). It also provided me with some useful references to be able to further my understanding of Philosophy.
Maria
Jul 17, 2008 Maria rated it liked it
a really nice book. Nothing new (in fact it doesnt cover too much), but its a good model of how to begin an introductory class in philosophy, I think. I liked the problem centered approach, which is a shorter path to "how is this relevant?"

This is the type of book Id give my father to read (if only I found a translation), to give him an idea of what is it that Im "wasting my time with".
Phyllis
Oct 02, 2015 Phyllis rated it really liked it
This is a great introduction books for readers unfamiliar with philosophy but still want to learn about it.
Jay
Dec 06, 2015 Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Probably not a bad introduction, I just don't like ancient philosophy. A good outline of what it's about, its development, limits, and relation to other things. Maybe a bit too muchof the insisting its still interesting and relevant to everyone again.
Daniel Wright
Aug 05, 2015 Daniel Wright rated it it was ok
From what I remember of this (it was a long time ago) it did not seem to get to the point very well, consequently not imparting much actual knowledge. Other books probably provide a more solid foundation for the subject.
Steve Mitchell
Once again this book does exactly what it sets out to do on the cover, the difference here compared to the other books that I have read in the series is that I have seriously studied the further reading section.
Noha
Aug 04, 2012 Noha rated it liked it
I liked the way it showed how u can engage with philosophy so soon if the subject is relevant to you. Other than that i think it fairly covered everything but for an "introductory lecture" it is quite interesting
Maya
Apr 14, 2010 Maya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, philosophy
Oscar
Dec 26, 2012 Oscar rated it really liked it
A very good and critical introduction to the problems and concerns of ancient philosophers. I recommend it to anyone interested in the ideas and concepts discussed in Ancient Greece.
AHMED ADEL SALAMA
كتاب جيد جدا في نصفه لأول حيث اللمحات التاريخية و القضايا الفلسفية البسيطة و المفهومة و لكن في النصف الآخر أصبح ممل جدا جدا و غير منطقي و بعيد عن العقل المعاصر ليستوعبه.
Mike
Jan 05, 2013 Mike added it
just what it says, a very short introduction to Ancient Philosophy. And also very good.
Nabilah
Mar 24, 2013 Nabilah rated it liked it
It did what it sets out to do.In other words, it is perfect.
ZX
ZX marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Gudu
Gudu rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Janne
Janne marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Ezgi
Ezgi marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Yoogeun
Yoogeun marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Orazio
Orazio marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Dennis Ramsey
Dennis Ramsey marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
  • Schopenhauer: A Very Short Introduction
  • Gandhi: A Very Short Introduction
  • Ancient Egypt: A Very Short Introduction
  • Classics: A Very Short Introduction

Very Short Introductions (1 - 10 of 449 books)
  • A Very Short Introduction to Everything