Start by marking “Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction” as Want to Read:
Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction

Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #97)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  28 reviews
This Very Short Introduction introduces readers to the key concepts of political philosophy: authority, democracy, freedom and its limits, justice, feminism, multiculturalism, and nationality. Accessibly written and assuming no previous knowledge of the subject, it encourages the reader to think clearly and critically about the leading political questions of our time.
Mill
Published September 18th 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published May 27th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Political Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Political Philosophy

Mohammad
نویسنده ها برای تالیف کتاب همه-فهم* غالبا دو کار انجام میدهند: گاه حواشی پر و پیمانی که طی سالها مجادله و تامل بدست آمده را در چند «ان قلت» ساده خلاصه میکنند، و گاه تا حد امکان از بکاربردن واژگان تخصصی (چه اصطلاحات حرفه ای و چه اسامی متعدد) پرهیز میکنند و گاه البته هر دو

کتاب «مقدمه ای بسیار کوتاه بر فلسفه سیاسی» دیوید میلر هردو را بکار بسته بود اما با این حال از آنچه انتظارش را داشتم (از آنچه شنیده بودم) بهتر بود
میلر بنا بود در سری کتابهای 150صفحه ای آکسفورد برای عموم خواننده ها کتابی بنویسد که
Riku Sayuj

Azar Gat could learn a thing or two from Miller. But then Miller could also learn a thing or two -- about spending less time on the obvious and moving on to interesting and controversial subjects earlier in a book, especially such a short one.

Too cursory for much of the book. Mildly interesting towards the end, but that is primarily because Mill goes into polemic mode and reveals his cards and thus exposes his reasons for the way the book was constructed. He does not think over-enthusiastic cri
Maru Kun
This book is an excellent introduction to political philosophy.

The opening, with a discussion of Amgrogio Lorenzetti's painting "The Allegory of Good and Bad Government", provides an interesting reminder of the deep historical roots of political philosophy.

Key issues, such as the sources of political authority, the practical limitations of democracy and the tension between the freedom of the individual and the obligations of the state to provide just social outcomes, are described effectively an
Said Al-Maskery
I started reading this book in Vienna last year. Despite its small size, it took me more than one year to read it. I was reading it in the historical Vienna, in hights of the Swiss Alps St.Morris, and finally finished reading it on the plane heading to Newyork.

Was the book really that difficult? It wasn't. In the contrary it was very engaging and fun. However the topic was quite deep and detailed. Because it's a very short introduction, Miller made sure every word was an added information.

The
jzthompson
The best of these VSI books feel like taking a university module in the subject and this is up there with the best that I have read - offering a very clear and concise introduction to some difficult concepts. The author's analysis of various theories and concepts is succinct and interesting and his own views are compelling.

I am perhaps slightly biased as Miller and I seem to be broadly in line in terms of our political views but he treats philosophies that he clearly doesn't agree with such as c
Steve
Very short, very clear, very fair. Well done!
Clement Vitis
I feel this book oversimplified where it wasn't necessary. Though, important to condense such a large topic, there were a lot of word choices and descriptions that belittled the fields of social psychology and psychology and frequently conflated the two without having a solid and contemporary understanding of the two areas.

I was also disappointed and distracted by the chapter on multiculturalism and feminism. It overlooked so many issues and only had a minute understanding of the intersectional
Danny
This title in the VSI series is very readable and gives you some basic concepts to mull over and reflect on. I do agree with some earlier comments that this title does keep it very simple, and could have gone into more complex ideas, even for a very short introduction.
Nathan
After a slight disappointment with a short introduction to Foucault, this introduction to Political Philosophy nailed the essence of this series for me.

Miller distills a huge subject into a brief, clear and rational overview. What I enjoy about this series is the way they tantalise and provoke interest in other areas and specialities, which you can move on to next. For example, having finished this book, I've gone on to order the Very Short Introductions to Marxism and Neoliberalism.

I don't thin
Kay Howe Lee
Clear, concise, well supported with thoughtful examples.

Enlightening theses that made me re-evaluate the nature of justice, freedom, democracy, and, to some extent, feminism.

Will definitely be reading more into this interesting subject.
Mengjie Ma
too general. would be more interesting if some topics are discussed in a more detailed way.
Mehdi
این هم مانند کتاب مختصر و مفید "سیاست" تجربه خوبی نبود. گنگ و نامفهوم که دردی از کسی دوا نمیکند ...more
Melissa Zaman
For a beginner to political theory, like myself, this was great! Clear and easy to understand.
Kim Stallwood
I may have had false expectations as to what to, er, expect from this book, which I found interesting but not informative in the way that I had expected it to be. In other words, I imagined I was going to read a primer on political philosophy. Instead, I read an introduction which was more like a discussion of the issues. What I wanted to read was a 'this is what you have to know about political philosophy to have a basic understanding.' So, I won't not recommend it but I wouldn't recommend it e ...more
Amaury A. Reyes-Torres
This book is a great introduction to political philosophy. Its important, in order to develp a basic politicla understanding, to understand the importance of freedom, liberty and political control of authorities. You dont have to be a politician or have political ambitions in order to read a good political philosophy book. In fact, its easier to become political philosophers than philosophers as such. I recommend this book as a startup to any deep develpment of political philosophy or other poli ...more
Isaac
David Miller's Introduction to political philosophy is a very good introduction to the subject, however, I found it a tad too dismissive of the anarchist literature,there is much to be said of the labor movements. He's a Rawlsian Liberal, so I found it odd that he didn't comment on Rawls' Libertarian counter-weight Robert Nozick, A Theory of Justice & Anarchy, State & Utopia go hand in hand. But overall, Miller covers the basic concepts well,I do highly recommend this book.
Grasped in Thought
A rather well done introduction to political philosophy. Miller takes an obvious side in the contemporary debates within the field. Regardless of his bias, Miller does a great job of presenting both sides of the arguments with a respectable level of fairness. A great introduction for anybody interested in concepts like Social Justice, Multiculturalism, Freedom, and Democracy.
Marco
For its size, not too bad an introduction of the subject, but the author could've done better in his explorations of positions other than his own. This book would certainly benefit from a bit more balance, but some of Miller's omissions and handwaving are understandable, given the fact that the book is meant to be a very short introduction.
Mesbah Khandan
انتظار این بود که کل کتاب همانند آنچه در فصل اول تحت عنوان"چه نیازی به فلسفه ی سیاسی دازیم؟"مطرح شده بود ، به خودِ ذاتِ فلسفه ی سیاسی بپردازد نه به یک سری فلسفه های سیاسیِ خاص.
ولی در کل نویسنده انسانِ منصف و دوراندیشی به نظر میآمد.
برای ایجاد یک ذهنیت کلی از مسائل مورد توجه در فلسفهی سیاسیِ غرب کتاب خوبی است
Ashley Lee
Very clear introduction to political philosophy, and the author makes very valid points. It was fun to make notes while reading. What i hope for would be headings under each chapters to make points easier to understand. Language not the simplest, but enough to understand and not feel this is beginners' level.
Daniel Wright
Miller builds up an a priori picture of political philosophy, concisely covering a wide range of ideologies and schools of thought, refusing to patronise the reader, dipping into some of the most important thinkers. This is an ideal introduction to the subject.
Hassan Kadhem
this is a really good read, it discusses various topics in politics from Authority, Democracy to Freedom and Justice and few others. i loved how the author kept asking questions, though i wished he never showed his opinion about several arguments.
Federico Mayr
Too simplistic, too focused on the author's position and on Rawlsian political philosophy. An introduction should be pluralist and wide-ranging, at least in the topics, if not in the depth they are dealt with.
Evelyn
Well thought out and structured throughout, easily accessible and serves as an excellent revision guide. One of the best I've read so far in this series.
Jason
Not a bad introduction. Enjoyable but one sided. The author is definitely a Rawlsian... would have been nice if he gave a more balanced approach.
Richard
Good little primer on some of the central questions on this topic. A good suggested reading list at the back too.
Hom Sack
Short and sweet. The best book I've read so far on the subject. The issues are clearly argued and presented.
funkgoddess
thoroughly engaging and enlightening.
Aslinurmemis
Aslinurmemis marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
  • Feminism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction
  • Psychology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Fundamentalism: A Very Short Introduction

More about David Miller...

Very Short Introductions (1 - 10 of 425 books)
  • A Very Short Introduction to Everything
  • Psychology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Islam: A Very Short Introduction
  • Politics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Theology: A Very Short Introduction
On Nationality The Liberty Reader The Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Political Thought National Responsibility and Global Justice Principles of Social Justice