Fall with Honor

Fall with Honor (Vampire Earth #7)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,014 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Freedom is on the march as the rebellion against the Kurian Occupation of Earth takes the offensive. David Valentine has recruited an ad hoc company of former Quisling soldiers to put them through a trial by fire with a successful raid against an enemy armory. Now they?re ready to join forces with a guerrilla army planning to establish a new freehold in the Appalachian Mou...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 15th 2009 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2008)

Jim
Another excellent edition to the series. Again, Knight is hard on his characters, but it is a hard world with the Kurians in it. His descriptions of what people can be like, both good & bad, are wonderful, if heartbreaking at times.

One of the things I like most about his books is his imagination. Most of the book takes place in Kentucky with the legworm riders. Legworms are an interesting concept, possibly even more interesting than the grogs, reapers, & Kurians. They're similar to horse...more
Jim
This series is doing better again. It hit a low point on book 4 or 5 for me, but this one was much better. There are a few mistakes that can make the geography a bit confusing - he swaps east for west a couple of times. We're treated to revisiting some of the characters that got left behind in Valentine's travels which I appreciated. The update on them plus Val's legal situation is interesting.

One of these days I'm going to have to re-read this series & am sure I'll love it. I've read each...more
Fantasy Literature
In Fall With Honor, Val is taking part in an effort to start another area of human control in a Kurian zone. He's worn down, tired, and somewhat broken, but he's still Val.

Fall With Honor was a bit of a let down. There is an intriguing mission and there could be interesting characters,
but the folks who surround Val seem to be just different iterations of many similar characters who he's fought, served with, and hated before.
The best part of the book was when past characters put in cameo appearan...more
An Odd1
* "Fall with Honor" (VE7) by E. E. Knight (year 2022 alien invasion + 54) recruits official-exile David Valentine to lead former Quisling enemies east to meet guerilla resistance and establish a Southern Command outpost in Operation Javelin. I felt more like a fast tourist of scenic highlights, with emotional baggage, than building heroism and crashing conflicts or horror of earlier volumes, perhaps, he and I are jaded by long war.
Enroute, cameos from other series characters, and support from S...more
Mike
Most of us work a simple job, a 9 to 5, repetitious and somewhat dull. It seems that Knight is also in the same boat as the rest of us. I believe this book was written to pay his light bill, or perhaps possibly his rent. However, I doubt that it was written to entertain, or to tell us some important truth hidden under a layer of fiction.
This tale has a few interesting points and some exciting bits, but they are all layered between sluggish bits of military jargon and long preparatory vignettes....more
Vicki Chang
Had to give this book three stars. It started off a little slow, lots of politics. Then David Valentine, the main character, gets beat up and almost hung. This would have been good if he went back and kicked some bad guy butt afterwards, but the situation just dropped at that point. There were lots of skirmishes and scares, but no big battles throughout the book. No romance. Valentine didn't go see his vampire son. Not the best in the series as far as holding my attention, but I will read the ne...more
Elke
The Vampire Earth books are always a treat, I really love this series, as the author always comes up with fresh ideas and new people and places, while at the same time staying with familiar faces and embedding the events in the overall background, thus advancing the world of the Vampire Earth.

This seventh part of the series does not have one great mission or climactic battle event as before. In a way it is calmer and consists of a number of smaller events, but they kept me glued to the pages as...more
Topher
I had begun to lose heart with this series, but, this is the beginning of a return to form. We are still in the descending stage, where it is important for the previously ascendant character to get crapped upon, but, hey.... it actually makes more sense (as it were). I'm more than willing to pick up the next two (which will finish off whats been written so far in the series) after reading this one.
Mary Martin
This is a great series! Not at all what you expect. It is one of the "Vampire Earth" Series, but this is not a typical vampire story.

It is a story of invaders who feed on earthlings' psychic essence and the very human story of the human collaborators and the resistance who fight them. The characters are so deftly drawn that you find that you really care what happens to them.
A
I have come to love this series. In all honesty I probably would have rated this one higher if it wasn’t a part of such a beloved series. When compared to the previous books this one just wasn’t as good. Of course I’ll continue reading and hope it will meet my expectations once more.
LadyCroft86
Don Edwards jr.
This is a decent military sci-fi novel. E E Knight Vampire Earth is gritty and fast paced. David Valentine leads a brigade to establish a new free hold in Kentucky. At first all goes well until the an ambush against it leadership sends the brigade into a hard fought retreat.
Barbara Ghylin
I take these books one at a time. They can be a little hard to read. David Valentine is very much a professional soldier slowly making rank under protest. I was happy to see old friends show up and have his back in a running retreat. A brutal read, but worth it.
Jonathan Pettit
Still love the series. I don't think I've ever read a main character that has been through more pain and suffering than David Valentine. More good military action.
Aaron Anderson
I enjoyed it more than the last couple books, but I think I'm getting bored with the series a bit. Only one more (I think) has been written, will read it next.
Vic
It's getting more boring (slow and more repeated theme) as the storyline went, but still this one has some entertaining value to offer.
Scot McAtee
Started very sloooooooooooow and then somewhere in the middle it started to pick back up. Ended pretty well. I'll pick up the next one.
Nate Hendrix
This is another in the series. Nothing earth shatering, but an entertaining bunch of books. i look forward to the rest of the series.
Marcus
Another enjoyable story in the vampire earth universe...I just wish the "good guys" would start scoring some bigger wins
Jessica
Wow! Looks like I have two more books of this series to find. I started reading this series about two years ago.
Laura D.
Your typical Vampire Earth novel, you start to expect a process and the book follows it perfectly.
Dale
Enjoyable enough but getting very easy to predict. It's getting to be time to wrap this series up I think.
Mark
pretty decent, ending sets up the next book nicely, just hope the cliffhanger is worth it
Robert
Unique series; I really like it. One book left in the series.
John
A fine addition to the Vampire Earth series
Nomme
Nomme added it
Jul 20, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Harry Keogh and Other Weird Heroes (Necroscope, #14)
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
  • Child of a Dead God (Noble Dead: Series 1, #6)
  • A Taint in the Blood (Shadowspawn #1)
  • Germline
  • The Conan Chronicles: Volume 1: The People of the Black Circle(The Conan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Clone Elite (Rogue Clone, #4)
  • The Tuloriad (Posleen War: Sidestories, #3)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Hellhole Awakening (Hellhole, #2)
  • Devlin's Honor (Sword of Change, #2)
  • Children No More
Way of the Wolf (Vampire Earth #1) Dragon Champion Choice of the Cat (Vampire Earth #2) Tale of the Thunderbolt (Vampire Earth #3) Valentine's Rising (Vampire Earth #4)