The End of the Road: A Maxie and Stretch Mystery

The End of the Road: A Maxie and Stretch Mystery (Maxie and Stretch #4)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Maxie McNabb and her miniature dachshund, Stretch, are just back from their latest adventure when a murder shatters the quiet in their hometown of Homer, Alaska. Now it's up to Maxie to find the killer - a search that leads her to a place called 'the end of the road.'
Audio, 0 pages
Published November 10th 2009 by Random House Audio (first published October 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The End of the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the Road

DeeAnn
I was really disappointed in this book. Coming from Alaska and seeing that the author lives there I was discouraged when she didn't even get the spelling correct on the Dimond Mall. It is not Diamond...it is named after A.J. Dimond.

Next, were the problems with the story...if you came home from a short vacation and found your front door open and that someone had been in your home wouldn't you call the police? Not this dumb broad! Wouldn't you check your WHOLE house? Not this dumb broad!

I should...more
Judith
I Enjoyed this mostly because the setting is Homer, Alaska and Anchorage where I have spent two great vacations . It was a slow paced cozy with a great sense of place. An apparent suicide of a very nice new acquaintance is both troubling and unsettling to Maxie, the protagonist. There are many questions about his identity and his life prior to coming to Homer. A belt which is found by Stretch, Maxie's little dachshund, commemorating 9/1, adds to the mystery and Maxie's sense of unease that thing...more
Rhonda
Well this was a cute book. Read it in less than 24 hours. Nothing overly thrilling or suspenseful about it, but a good mystery all the same if you are not good as solving them.
This one, even though I could figure out most of the book before the ending. It was not all pulled together until the last page. The dog, whom plays "Stretch" is cute and adorable, but nothing outstanding as far as "dog Detective duo's go" in most books like these.

If you want an easy and fast read for an airplane ride, or...more
Nancy
You know an author is desperate to run up their word count when they rely on naming all the shops on Main Street, mileage destination on a local pole, items in a closet or even the name on whiskey bottles. That should have been my warning to close the book and move on, but no, this is the last book in the series and since I began with number one, I was determined to see it through to its end.

Instead of packing up her RV and heading south for the winter, Maxine McNabb and her faithful dog Stretch...more
Kay
I’m always wary of “human and pet” stories, but I have found a few that I do like. I did like this pair. The human here, Maxie McNabb does realize that Stretch is a dog. This is a big plus. Also, the reader is not subject to reading the dog’s thoughts. A few writers can pull that off that in a way that doesn’t annoy, but very few.
Maxie is a widow who has a home in Homer, Alaska, a city known as “the end of the road.” She has been traveling the lower 48 most winters, but has decided to stick it o...more
Diane
Maxie McNabb is an retired widow who lives in beautiful Homer, Alaska with her miniature dachshund Stretch. Maxie is known to travel the US in her RV when the weather gets too cold for her in Alaska. She is always accompanied by her faithful companion Stretch.

One day while walking her dog in the now deserted tourist town, she comes across a lone tourist, a friendly man, who is staying at a local motel. Maxie offers to give the man, John Walker, a ride back to his motel, and invites him to dinner...more
Donna
Hey lady! Anybody tell you not to talk to strangers? Don't let them in your car. Don't let them in your house. Don't ask them to spend the night there when your house has just been creeped! And when you finally change the locks, don't call someone and say you'll be upstairs but it's cool because you're leaving the front door open! Don't leave an entry to your home that is always unlocked, not anywhere!

When you find yourself indignantly talking back to the book, it usually means that something in...more
Beth
Cozy mystery type. Slow moving, too much minute description of boring details. I didn't find the main character's actions believable, such as not calling police after her house has been broken into despite the recent mysterious death in the town. I've not read the rest of the series but according to other reviews this one is not up to the author's usual standards -- but I don't plan on reading anything else by her.
Meagan
The End of the Road is one of Sue Henry's Maxie and Stretch mysteries, and it was selected by my book club as the next read. Perhaps it is because I haven't read the other books in the series, but I found this book to be flat and un-engaging. The characters have a lot of potential to be interesting, as they are all independent and eccentric types from small-town Alaska, but they never really seemed to come alive. The mystery was kind of loosey-goosey, and the author spent most of her time tellin...more
Mary
I am a big fan of Sue Henry's cozy mysteries. I love Maxie and Stretch...but where's the mystery in The End of the Road? No character development, no clues, nothing. An opportunity to include Alex and Jess into the solution of the "mystery" was missed within several pages of describing their dinner together. And while on the subject of describing things...most of the text was describing clothing, buildings, weather, useless info- - -just filler. I wondered if Ms. Henry had to meet a deadline the...more
Lbaker
I have enjoyed reading Maxie and Stretch while they've been on the road, but the descriptions of their home town makes me want to go north and visit The End of the Road where this book is set.

The characters are well rounded, I love the fact that her two series merge as friends, and was happy to see the sled dog Tank, and love to imagine Tank and Stretch together.

This series makes one think that getting older might not be too bad - after all there aren't any other options, I want to age like Max...more
Susan
Naxie and her dachshund Stretch meet a visitor to remote Homer, AK, and find the man, John Walker, a pleasant figure. So Maxie is shocked when he kills himself. To get away from local gossip, she visits a friend outside of Anchorage, only to be followed by a mysterious woman. Back in Homer, Maxie meets another woman, claiming to be Walker's sister. The glimpse of small-town Alaska is interesting, but there are plot elements left unresolved, and I find Henry's writing rather wooden.
Debra
In this Maxie and Stretch book, Maxie decides to spend the winter at home in Homer, Alaska instead of traveling the lower 48 in her RV. When she befriends a young man who later turns up dead of an apparent suicide, Maxie becomes involved in solving the mystery of who he is and why he came to Home to kill himself. The mystery turns even more ominous when Maxie returns home from a trip to Anchorage to find someone has been living in her house while she was away, someone she did NOT invite....
Tanya
I've read some Sue Henry and enjoyed it, but was deeply disappointed with this one. The over description felt like the author was just trying to brag about how much she knew about this part of Alaska. I didn't care what every character thought and felt about every little thing. The murder mystery that was supposed to be the story was weak and boring. I stuck with it to the end, but never saw a turning point where the story/ writing improved.
Elaine
A very short book and not up to Sue Henry's usual quality. This story could have been so much more. Better character development would have made for a much longer and more interesting story. It seemed like the author just got tired of writing this book and ended it. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 star just because I like the main character, Maxie, and have enjoyed her other adventures. I hope author Sue Henry does a better job on her next Maxie mystery.
Peggy
A chance meeting ends with a suicide or murder. However the victim turns out to have no name, no fingerprints on file, etc. There appears to be some invovlement with 9-11. The story takes place near Pamer,Alaska, where I have a friend. So, therefore I enjoyed reading about that area of the country. Maxie the main character and a strong and independent female, takes it upon herself to solve the mystery.

This was a fun easy read. Enjoyable little book.
Gerry
This one caught my eye on the Choice Reads shelf.
Maxie and her little dog Stretch, decide to stay home for the winter. Home, being Homer, Alaska. I've never been to Homer but have read about it and have a friend who lives there. And of course mysterious things happen and Maxie gets involved in a murder - or I should say murders?
Anyway, I'm sure I'll read more of the Maxie and Stretch series when I'm in the mood for a nice light mystery.
Sharon Mauk
Sitting down with a Maxie and Stretch mystery, (this is book #4) is like sitting down with a good friend you feel so familiar with and haven't seen for a while! She always has me at page 1!!! I am listening to this one on C.D. and the reader makes me imagine it is the voice of Sue Henry and Maxie. Finished the hardcover book and found myself missing "Maxie's voice"! A rather abrupt ending but enjoyable just the same.
Mary
Not my normal style, but I needed an audio book & this was on the shelf. Maxie is a widow lady & Stretch is her miniature dachhound. If I had been reading it, I could have skipped a lot of yada yada. It's only 5 CDs so I listened to the whole thing. Several dead bodies & a bunch of interesting folks who live in Homer Alaska. I was interested enough in Homer to google it. Nice little town, with gorgeous scenery!
Ellen
"The End of the Road" by Sue Henry.

Sfdreams
I love the Maxie and Stretch mysteries, and this one was no exception, though this one was different, because Maxie stays in Alaska in this one.

I couldn't help but think of my dear friend, Dennis, while reading this book, because we both could see ourselves as Maxie, RVing throughout the US. So, bittersweet at times because I kept thinking how much Dennis would've loved to read this book!
Jenny
This is a Maxie (a female senior citizen) and Stretch (a mini-dachshund) mystery. Maxie is spending winter at her home in Homer, Alaska, and becomes involved in a stranger's supposed suicide. I especially liked when she visited her friend, Jessie Arnold (a musher from another mystery series by this same author). A quick read, good characters, and wonderful descriptions of Alaska.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Why female authors feel they must make their female led characters stupid or lack common sense to make a story work is beyond me. Maybe Sue Henry should retire the Maxie McNabb character and go back to writing the Jessie Arnold character who’s an independent, strong and smart woman. Sue Henry is one of my favorite authors but the Maxie McNabb character is disappointing.
Mascanlon
I do enjoy the Maxie and Stretch stories and this one was no different. However it seems to have more than its fair share of unanswered questions on the who, how and whys. Nicely told un til the end...all qwrapped up in about 8 paragraphs, just felt unfinished to me. But still worth settling down by the fire with a cup of tea and sweet dog nearby snoring gently.
Anne
Another interesting mystery about 60-ish Maxie and her dachshund stretch. This one concerns a drifyer she meets on the beach and on impulse invites to a friendly dinner the next night. The next day he is found dead. of course Maxie cannot resist delving into his life and strange background which seems to not be there st all. Enjoyable and easy read.
Ssbrandes
cute, entertaining book. easy read. not enough substance for me to go to the trouble of searching out another one though.

cozy mystery set with the main character who lives 1/2 of every year in Homer Alaska and spends the other 1/2 the year as a "full time" RVer. her sidekick 'Stretch' the dachshund is a cute addition.
Grace
This was a decent book. However, sometimes you can tell when an author has a story to tell, but it isn't a very long one. There was definite padding to this story. It was a close to 200 page book that really was probably a 100-page story. Maybe. But she met her publishing contract's requirements for book output, I'm sure!
Heather Richard
Ok, I usually like me a good Sue Henry (though way happier with Jessie books than Maxie books) but this was just bad. I like to think it suffers from the "bestselling author and editor needing the book on a deadline so it's not actually edited" symdrome. Sigh. A pretty disappointing few hours of fluff read...
Angie crosby
There was nothing wrong with what I did read of this book, The story was fine, the writing decent, I just couldn't get into it. I didn't care for the over description by the author. I thought it took away from the book, by describing everything it fails to give me the chance to imagine it myself.
Marilyn
A light little summer read if you have an extra hour -- fun with a nice little mystery to solve. It wasn't her best but it is all about Alaska which makes it most enjoyable for someone who lives in the Northwest corridor ferry from Bellingham to Alaska. Once again, I want to visit such a beautiful place.
  • Mourning Gloria (China Bayles, #19)
  • The Silent Spirit (Wind River Reservation, #14)
  • A Night Too Dark (Kate Shugak, #17)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • Torched
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • A Whisper of Danger (Treasures of the Heart #2)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches...more
More about Sue Henry...
Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1) Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8) Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6) The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1) Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)