Old Habits (Wicked Lovely, #2.6)

Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.6)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,289 ratings  ·  70 reviews

Melissa Marr returns to the ravishing world of Faerie with a story set between her bestselling novels Ink Exchange and Fragile Eternity.

Recently anointed king of the Dark Court, Niall struggles to forge a new relationship with his subjects—and with the former Dark King, Irial, his once-friend, once-enemy, and now possible-advisor.

Published January 11th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Old Habits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Habits

Harry Potter by J.K. RowlingThe Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie MeyerMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerAdrian's Lost Chapter by Richelle Mead
Extras
29th out of 103 books — 86 voters
Aerie and Reckoning by Thomas E. SniegoskiEvermore by Alyson NoelRaziel by Kristina DouglasHaunting Violet by Alyxandra HarveyFallen by Lauren Kate
Look-A-Like Covers
9th out of 15 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Arlene
”…And that, my lovely Gancanagh, is why I am not qualified to be a king.” Irial says gently to Niall. “There are two people I would put before the court. It is not a matter of being tired of my court, or throwing it away, or punishing you, or trapping you, or any of those very diabolical things you would like to believe of me. It is, quite simply, the fact that I would damn them all if it meant protecting you or Leslie. The court requires a regent who would put court needs first.”

Old Habits take...more
Jen
My Thoughts: I tell you no lies, people. If I could make one book world come to life, it'd be Melissa Marr's gorgeously written faerie world. It's not enough that her books have beautiful titles and infinitely more beautiful covers. She just so happens to have concocted one of the most irresistable characters in any paranormal romance I've read EVER. (Looking at you, Irial.) What a twisted, enticing specimen that one is.

And can you believe that this novella was $1.99? I feel like I'm stealing fr...more
Rachel
Old Habits is a short novella, of ten chapters, that focuses on the relationship between Irial, the former Dark King, and Niall, the new King of the Dark Court. It is set between the events taking place in Ink Exchange and Fragile Eternity.

Irial and Niall have had a long and rocky history. Irial, who is now serving as Niall’s adviser and protector, must learn to take a subservient role now that Niall is beginning to accept his status as the new King. It’s not an easy adjustment for either, and i...more
Melly
I loved this book! It was short, but made me fall even deeper for Niall and Irial. I absolutely love them. I'm grateful for the further insight into their backgrounds. I love the part with Niall and Seth, haha I was cracking up.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
This lovely little read arrived on my kindle last night at midnight and since I'm such a big fan of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series I just had to read it then and there. I finished at 2 a.m. :)

Old Habits is another wonderful novella taking place after Ink Exchange and let me say includes my 3 favorite men of the series Seth, Irial, and Niall. Where Stopping Time focused on Niall and Iri's love for Leslie. Old Habits centers on Niall and Iri's love for each other and Niall accepting his rol...more
Rebecca Maye
I think the writing for this and "Stopping Time" was caught in between a supposed to be teen book and an adult book. Not sure that I quite like the feel of it being juvenile in some areas and adult in others, however, overall, it was entertaining.
Marzie
I just love Irial and Niall.
Gemma
Short, and I didn't much care for the story line. Don't get me wrong; it wasn't bad at all, I just didn't care. Niall irks me. Too whiny. Too serious. Too... Niall. Ick. Even his name sounds like a yawn.

BUT IRIAL WAS IN IT!!! IRIAL!!! He who single handedly made this book go from two stars to four.

He who may or may not be dead....

But he was in it. A lot. And that's why I read it. Because the description made it sound like he would be in it. And he was. A lot (fangirl sigh of joy). And I loved...more
Jeanne
This takes place after Ink Exchange also. It focuses on Niall's and Irial's relationship. Niall is dealing with being the new Dark King. Even though he doesn't desire the role, he cannot think of anyone else who is more capable of being it(besides Irial who refuses it back).

As Niall is settling into his new role as Dark King, he still struggles with his feelings for Irial and Leslie. Irial is working behind Niall's back to help keep him safe. Even though he isn't the king anymore, he is willing...more
Ange (MarmaladeLibby of Libby Blog) Schmelzer
Irial hands the Dark Court over to Niall, who becomes the Dark Court's King of Nightmares, whether he wants to be or not. Will he be able to command the Dark Court and strengthen it? After handing over the reigns, what becomes of Irial? Can he truly hand over the reigns?

My thoughts: There are so many questions about Niall and Irial that go unanswered when the Dark Court transitions, but this short story clears up all of your questions while also giving you a serious look inside the world of the...more
Vicki Keire
I am a Dark Court girl. What could be better than a novella set entirely in and around the Dark Court, especially one that takes us all the way back to my favorite book in the series, revisiting events right at the close of Ink Exchange?

Now that I've exposed my inherent bias, let me address the actual novella: I think it's a great bridge as we wait for the final book, Darkest Mercy. Not only do you get a substantial novella (10 chapters), but you get a substantial cut of Darkest Mercy itself. I...more
Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)
Old Habits offers us a bit of a glimpse into how Niall is handling the transition to being the Dark Court's new King, which was bestowed upon him by Irial, and how they are both dealing with the role reversal.

It's hard for Irial to give up his OLD HABITS of leading the Dark Court. He tries to continue conducting the *less desirable* aspects of the Dark Court dealings behind the scenes, attempting to spare Niall from it. In doing so, he didn't mean to undermine Niall's authority, but Niall doesn'...more
Jillian -always aspiring-
Feb 23, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wicked Lovely fans in need of more Irial and Niall
"The court needs new energy, Gancanagh. I got us through Beira's reign, found ways to strengthen us. I'm tired--more changed by Leslie than I'll admit, even to you. You may have broken our tie, seared me from her skin, but that doesn't undo my changes. I am no longer fit to lead my court." Irial smiled sadly. "My court--your court now--needs a new king. You're the right choice. You have always been the next Dark King."

Old Habits, the second novella released for Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely serie...more
Kelly
I ADORE the Wicked Lovely series. The Irial/Niall/Leslie triangle (not a love triangle, mind you, but a potentially fantastic triad) remains one of the bog draws for me. Of those three, I've been enamored of the former Dark King since he first stepped on page.

Irial is powerful and deadly. He makes hard choices for the good of his people - choices that sometimes hurt those he loves the most. And I feel for him. It hard to see him choosing the path he chooses at times because you can see how much...more
Kristen
I need to read faerie stories with humans as MC's. Fae are too... bi-polar and cray-cray for me. No matter how sympathetic they may be portrayed at times, faerie are just not appealing to me. I cannot identify with them or their world.

Also, I after reading Ink Exchange and then the two novellas, I feel like Marr does not have a handle on these characters. They seemed way too sporadic and not consistent at all. Maybe that was the point, but they just felt disjointed to me.
Zhane
This short story was made of win. Like Stopping Time, it takes place in the past, yet it captivates the reader all the same. The difficulties of ruling a court are present as we hear from both Niall and Irial, as are the tensions they both face to form something like the trustworthy relationship that once existed in their past. Irial was as witty as ever, and Niall's demanding, kingly sides comes out in ways that they were not shown to us before. In actuality, we see a whole spectrum of emotions...more
Gina
Jan 17, 2011 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone 15 and over, not for younger audience
Recommended to Gina by: borders
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Old habits die hard. For me as much as for Niall and Irial. I have to read everything in a series, even if it's pretty pointless short stories that are really cheap on Amazon. Melissa Marr has to keep adding addendums to Niall and Irial. As with her other short story, Stopping Time, Marr seems to have this sick need to return to the story that had a perfect ending in Ink Exchange. I should add that I haven't finished the Wicked Lovely series, so I'm sure there's much more to the story, but I jus...more
Myndi
I really enjoyed this novella in the Wicked Lovely series. I have to say it's probably been my favorite so far. It didn't really deal with humans much at all and really expanded on the relationship between Irial and Niall. I liked getting more insight into the dynamics between the two and seeing Niall in his new role as Dark King. I also liked the peek into Faerie and meeting one of the other regents. I'm looking forward to starting book 3.
Autumn Iris
It was just okay. The plot was disjointed and random at times. Some of characters didn't stay in character in this short story. Sorcha is an example.

Nice for some background but not a lot happened and I didn't get much out of this read. Part of the reason is likely because I am not a fan of Niall or Irial. I still ship Niall and Irial.
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Old Habits is book 2.6 in the Wicked Lovely Series by Melissa Marr. I loved this story. It was more of Niall and Irial with Gabriel, Sorcha, and Devlin thrown into the mix. (view spoiler)...more
Amanda
3.5 stars.. I enjoyed this novella more than the previous one. This offered closure and moved the story along, there was very little mention of Leslie but that was better for the story.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Emma (BelleBooks)
This is another short e-book released by Melissa Marr as part of the Wicked Lovely series, the story takes place between books 2 and 3.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as Stopping Time, the other e-book that ties in with the series.

This book was based around Niall and Irial, their relationship in the past and how that is now changing as Irial is realising he in no longer the Dark King, and has to obey orders from Niall now.

It is a good story, and it was nice to see the interactions between the t...more
Dawn ross
As soon as I found out this Novella was out I bought it. It covers the time period after Nial became king of the dark court. A lot of minor questions are answered. You get a clear understanding about the relationship between Irial and Nial. You also find out some other bonds/ relationships of the most unlikely characters. Melissa has me pining for her Darkest Mercy so much…I need it. We also get a sneak peak into the first 2 chapters of the final novel in the series. I give this two thumbs up. D...more
Ema
Jun 22, 2014 Ema rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
BISEXUAL FAERY PRINCES WHO I SHIP SO MUCH. Such love. Such such love
Audrey
This novella gets into the relationship between Irial and Niall and fills in some of the gaps between the other books. These two are probably my favorite characters in the series, and Marr does a great job of portraying the shifting relationship between the two of them. The story is driven more by character than by plot, which I think is really necessary when doing short pieces like this that fill in the gaps between novels (especially novels that move among various characters like the ones in t...more
Breanna Rose Graham
Love melissa marrs wicked lovely books and this novella did not let me down! Very interesting and compelling story. We learn so much more of the inner workings of the fairie regents. Like irial and sorcha's close yet indiffent relationship. sorchas relationship with her brother, devlin. And my favorite the sorid love/ hate relationship of nial and irial. Two of my favorite characters together again in this short but must read. Couldnt put the story down i read it twice. I love nial and irial tha...more
Kari Ramirez
Of the fae, when a mortal touches Gancanagh they become obsessed and begin to wither away from want. That's pretty much how I feel about the Wicked Lovely series.

In retrospect, these books were ridiculously unnecessary, but I loved them. When I finished Ink Exchange I wasn't ready to be done with Leslie, Irial and Niall's story. I thought more could be told and this was perfect. I can see how both of these set up the next stories and it only makes me want to read them more!
Julie
May 25, 2011 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wicked Lovely fans
I liked this story well enough but I get a little fed up with Niall and Irial's relationship. I suppose they both have reasons for being the way they are - Niall HAS been screwed over by Irial before and has had a very hard time coming to terms with being forced to accept the kingship of the Dark Court - but one would hope that his feelings for Irial would overcome it.

It was interesting reading this having finished the rest of the series already.
  • The Lost Boy (The Iron Witch, #0.5)
  • Divided (Darkest Powers, #1.5)
  • The Vampire Diaries: The Return - Dinner Disaster (The Vampire Diaries: The Return Extras, #2.2)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • Aftermath (Nightshade, #3.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)
  • The Book of Faeyore (Frost, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Charmed Return (Faerie Path, #6)
  • Breathless (Firelight, #3.5)
  • Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)
  • All I Want for Christmas (The Demon Trappers, #0.4)
  • The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine, #2.5)
5 stars= If I love you, I'll buy you a copy from this list of books. (Pls note, if you are my family or dearest friends, feel free to remind me to do so. I am lousy w remembering birthdays/holidays.)

4 stars= Don't even ask to borrow it. You should prob buy it though.

3= If you borrow it, you better not lose it, mangle it, or keep it too long.

2 or 1 star= I don't use these. If it's not a 3 star or...more
More about Melissa Marr...
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4) Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely, #5)